Author Topic: Tops Thread  (Read 2779 times)

Digital Rasta

Tops Thread
« on: April 18, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
There have been a thousand threads about pants and shoes on here over the years, but what kinds of shirts do you guys like to skate in? T-Shirts are a given, everybody wears those but what about dress shirts, buttonups, polos/rugbys, jerseys, sweaters, vests etc? I just bought a shirt on eBay that I will probably skate in, it's a Cabela's cotton flannel in rust orange and white plaid. I like skating in collared shirts that fit loose in the shoulders so my arms can properly flail when I'm hail-marying my flip tricks on flat

sneakpeekmeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Tops Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:59:42 PM »
Uniqlo U tees exclusively. 100% cotton, thicc, and quality.

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
anything expensive that rips easily

Digital Rasta

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 08:25:31 PM »

Measurements sound right, should fit perfect like the other Cabela's shirt I have

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:12:10 PM »
What skate brands make t-shirts that are short and wide? I have a small/medium build, but am always very hesitant to order tees online because of this. A small can either be skin tight, or a medium can fit me like an XL. I don't necessarily like a baggy fit, I just don't want to be constantly reminded that I'm wearing a shirt. I've been wanting to order some polar and sci-fi fantasy shirts..

Digital Rasta

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 08:09:30 AM »
Fun fact: I have not bought a t-shirt with a graphic since 2007

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 08:14:36 AM »
I’ve always liked skating in button ups/flannels. Much prefer them to hoodies. Heavy inspiration from Nate Jones, Kenny Reed, Kenny Anderson etc.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 541
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »
Uniqlo U tees exclusively. 100% cotton, thicc, and quality.

This. I usually try to find their black pocket tees. No huge graphics. Usually just a small embroidered logo or something of the sorts.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »
Any black hoodie or a plain gold hoodie

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »
What skate brands make t-shirts that are short and wide? I have a small/medium build, but am always very hesitant to order tees online because of this. A small can either be skin tight, or a medium can fit me like an XL. I don't necessarily like a baggy fit, I just don't want to be constantly reminded that I'm wearing a shirt. I've been wanting to order some polar and sci-fi fantasy shirts..

Polar shirts are on the boxy side of things. Longer sleeves, wider fit. Standard length I would say. I think an S would probably be more suited to what you want, I doubt they would feel tight.
Sci-fi most likely uses blanks, I would guess so at least. Not sure which ones tho.
I really like Dime shirts too fit wise, and Fuct ones too... they usually come quite big, but after a few washes they are perfect.

As a reference I’m 5,10 and usually use a L on shirts/hoodies, I like a baggy fit. A Gildan L is borderline too small for me already. I have a lot of merch from bands and I barely use them anymore because those sleeves are just tiny and the overall length a bit short. I gotta see my shirt edge out of my hoodie, I like the color pop.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Digital Rasta

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 05:00:29 PM »
I miss Fourstar. They had the sickest cut and sew type shirts, like vintage-style football jerseys with the stripes on the sleeves and color-blocked hoodies. I got a vintage Fourstar mesh hat in white and navy for sale if anybody is interested PM me

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar shirts are on the boxy side of things. Longer sleeves, wider fit. Standard length I would say. I think an S would probably be more suited to what you want, I doubt they would feel tight.
Sci-fi most likely uses blanks, I would guess so at least. Not sure which ones tho.
I really like Dime shirts too fit wise, and Fuct ones too... they usually come quite big, but after a few washes they are perfect.

As a reference I’m 5,10 and usually use a L on shirts/hoodies, I like a baggy fit. A Gildan L is borderline too small for me already. I have a lot of merch from bands and I barely use them anymore because those sleeves are just tiny and the overall length a bit short. I gotta see my shirt edge out of my hoodie, I like the color pop.
i have a dime shirt in L and it feels great. really wonder where the get their clothes from because i always doubt their pricing on things that have become some of my favorite pieces
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Digital Rasta

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 05:07:29 PM »
Measure around your chest with measuring tape. A good fitting shirt should be two inches more than the circumference of your chest just below the armpit, or four inches if you want baggy. For reference, most Smalls are 36-42" inches, most Mediums are 38-44", and the bigger sizes are completely all over the place. XXL shirts go up to 56". Once you got your measurements down it makes shopping for shirts way easier

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 05:12:24 PM »
🤙

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 05:16:13 PM »
Measure around your chest with measuring tape. A good fitting shirt should be two inches more than the circumference of your chest just below the armpit, or four inches if you want baggy. For reference, most Smalls are 36-42" inches, most Mediums are 38-44", and the bigger sizes are completely all over the place. XXL shirts go up to 56". Once you got your measurements down it makes shopping for shirts way easier

I've measured a bunch of tees and have realized that the quality of cotton or blend that they're made of is the thing that makes the biggest difference. My favorite fitting t shirt claims to be made in peru, so peruvian cotton I guess, and the way it drapes is perfect. The issue I always have is in the shoulders.. Hate when sleeve flair out..

And Thank you for the input Sk.A.T.A.N!

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 05:17:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i have a dime shirt in L and it feels great. really wonder where the get their clothes from because i always doubt their pricing on things that have become some of my favorite pieces

In the beggining they just used blanks for shirts (alstyle probably), I know for the hoodies they used Independent trading Co. But now they got a bump up in quality in the last few drops, says made in America in the label.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

JudoOrigami

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »
The dime stuff is all really good, agree that polar is a bit on the boxy side

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 06:41:35 PM »
If It’s hovering around the high 90’s and I’m skating early in the day I’ll wear these Colombia fishing shirts that block UV A and B radiation do I don’t get burnt. They keep you cool too
fuck you bama

Digital Rasta

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 06:57:00 PM »
If It’s hovering around the high 90’s and I’m skating early in the day I’ll wear these Colombia fishing shirts that block UV A and B radiation do I don’t get burnt. They keep you cool too
Cotton or synthetic? I love the short sleeve cargo pocket shirts with the heat vent opening across the back, 5.11 Tactical makes a lot of shirts like that too

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
Usually just anything plain like a nice colored flannel or a sweatshirt, or a skate-branded tee/hoodie.

I think when you plan out your entire fit to match your setup and to flex on everyone at the park while doing treflips in front of the rail everyone's using, you've lost your way.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 07:52:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Cotton or synthetic? I love the short sleeve cargo pocket shirts with the heat vent opening across the back, 5.11 Tactical makes a lot of shirts like that too
The synthetic ones. I have a single cotton one and it feels really weird when you sweat in it. I work outside a lot and most of the time we’re just waiting around in the sun, so I’m always buying some sort of new technology gear to wear outside
fuck you bama

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 08:58:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

same, gotta contrast the layers. I know from IG you're into hardcore too, I'm loving that a lot of bands list what blanks their shirts are printed on now. Gildan is low end but I'll buy it if I like the band a lot, comfort colors is top notch fit and material wise as far as I'm concerned. To be fair though I prefer thicc fabric.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1306
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 09:31:25 PM »
Cotton Heritage MC1082. Got one as a shop shirt and then bought a bunch of blanks. I used to go with Hanes Beefy Tees but they've been inconsistent since American Apparel disrupted the game. I still have a bunch of Hanes in the rotation but I'm glad I found a cheaper, better replacement. Average price should be in the range of $5 a shirt.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 02:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
same, gotta contrast the layers. I know from IG you're into hardcore too, I'm loving that a lot of bands list what blanks their shirts are printed on now. Gildan is low end but I'll buy it if I like the band a lot, comfort colors is top notch fit and material wise as far as I'm concerned. To be fair though I prefer thicc fabric.

Yeah, I'll probably end up buying Gildan anyway and just layer it with something underneath, I also dont mind their Longsleeves, the cuffs on the sleeves are a nice addition.
I absolutely despise Fruit of the Loom shirts, most of the Portuguese bands I like print on that shit and the fit is just horrible. L size looks like it was meant for a toddler and the XL will look like you put a skirt on your chest.
Last year I bought for the first time a Gildan Hammer at a show and that thing is top notch! Nice Boxy fit, more "streetwear style", thicker/softer cotton, nice collar rib too. I also like AlStyle fit, but those are rare to come across in Europe, only one I have came from the US.

Hoodies I have also a few Gildan ones from Bands, dont mind them. Quality could be better but you get what you pay, I also beat the shit out of them skating.
I usually wait for sales to buy good quality ones. I have this Paterson one that I got for half the price and that shit is beast, It says made in china but the cotton/finishing/stitching/ribs are all great.
Polar Hoodies are also great, they're made in Portugal, and the fit is great. You can find some for under 50bucks on sales. Its a bang for that price.
But probably the best one I have is a BrainDead hoodie, that I also got at half the price. It was still expensive at 90bucks, but that thing is just on another level. The fit is incredible, baggy, its like twice the weight of a gildan hoodie (not so good to skate tho), the hood is perfect but has no strings, the screen print on it is super well done. Its made in the US and it feels like its gonna last a lifetime.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Digital Rasta

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »
I like synthetic fabrics for the midsummer, like rayon Hawaiians and polyester golf shirts. Breathable, stretchy and lightweight

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 12:28:47 PM »
I like synthetic fabrics for the midsummer, like rayon Hawaiians and polyester golf shirts. Breathable, stretchy and lightweight

I used to skate in a Nike golf polo like 5 or 6 years ago before it became Nike SB team uniform. All synthetic, super breathable. That thing was the best, I can see why they all wear it now...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah, I'll probably end up buying Gildan anyway and just layer it with something underneath, I also dont mind their Longsleeves, the cuffs on the sleeves are a nice addition.
I absolutely despise Fruit of the Loom shirts, most of the Portuguese bands I like print on that shit and the fit is just horrible. L size looks like it was meant for a toddler and the XL will look like you put a skirt on your chest.
Last year I bought for the first time a Gildan Hammer at a show and that thing is top notch! Nice Boxy fit, more "streetwear style", thicker/softer cotton, nice collar rib too. I also like AlStyle fit, but those are rare to come across in Europe, only one I have came from the US.

Hoodies I have also a few Gildan ones from Bands, dont mind them. Quality could be better but you get what you pay, I also beat the shit out of them skating.
I usually wait for sales to buy good quality ones. I have this Paterson one that I got for half the price and that shit is beast, It says made in china but the cotton/finishing/stitching/ribs are all great.
Polar Hoodies are also great, they're made in Portugal, and the fit is great. You can find some for under 50bucks on sales. Its a bang for that price.
But probably the best one I have is a BrainDead hoodie, that I also got at half the price. It was still expensive at 90bucks, but that thing is just on another level. The fit is incredible, baggy, its like twice the weight of a gildan hoodie (not so good to skate tho), the hood is perfect but has no strings, the screen print on it is super well done. Its made in the US and it feels like its gonna last a lifetime.

Now I’m looking up braindead hoody’s. Great.

JudoOrigami

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 01:29:36 PM »
hoodies are the truth for skating i feel like such a bad ass when i do a trick and my hood puts itself on

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2020, 01:42:48 PM »
Unless its suuuuper cold how do u guys skate in hoodies for more than 10 mins without getting too hot lol

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »
Unless its suuuuper cold how do u guys skate in hoodies for more than 10 mins without getting too hot lol

Uhmm, Germany in winter...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP