Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 745931 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6900 on: April 16, 2024, 08:54:16 AM »
Seems like Ace is developing an inverted kingpin option? Or it could be rider mods. Interesting that Ace hid it in their repost. I did take a picture of Spanky when he was in town for a demo and he had some inverted kingpins on his trucks, though it looked like a different style. At the very least, a baseplate that accomodates inverted kingpins like Thunders could be cool.
Untitled by
Untitled by
2024-04-15 16:59:28 by

its been in the works for a long time from what I've seen but they routinely say, they don't want to release it until its just right.

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #6901 on: April 16, 2024, 09:07:47 AM »
Expand Quote
just got a pair of AF1 off ebay for $30

anyone know how to paint the baseplate? i wanna get some colors on em!
[close]
Disassemble the truck and spray paint. Did that with some blue ace base plates that I painted silver. Did a thin layer let it dry in the sun and repeat

I’ve had to take away a washer to get the nut to stay on my AF1 hanger. Maybe try an axle nut from another truck. I had to do that. Used an Indy axle nut to hold one of my wheels on otherwise running the ace brand nut flush with the thread could be loosened by my finger. Thankfully the trucks (af1 44) have worked fine since.

What spraypaint did you use? I've always wanted to try painting some baseplates but I don't wanna fuck it up and have the paint come flaking off or something.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6902 on: April 16, 2024, 09:36:27 AM »
Does anyone else have an issue where one side of a threaded axle is shorter than the rest?  (Mine are af1 66)

I had to leave the washers off on one side so that the nut would tighten properly.  It was enough of a pain that I just took all the washers off, but on the side where it was snug, the friction made the bearing shield wear down.  I don’t ride my wheels tight, it’s very annoying because it ruined my bearings.

Yes I’ve had this on both classics and AF1s. If you use wheel spacers, removing them will give you some more room. I used spacers for many years, and I have only noticed improvements since I stopped using them. That’s a whole other rant though.

You technically don’t need the inside washer due to the tapered hanger, so that could give you some more room too. Inspect the machine work on the hanger before running it without an inner washer, you may need to file it down to make it smooth/flush.

Ace are my truck of choice, but god damn their QC sucks. It would be nice to buy a set that didn’t come defective from day 1.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6903 on: April 16, 2024, 10:50:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone else have an issue where one side of a threaded axle is shorter than the rest?  (Mine are af1 66)

I had to leave the washers off on one side so that the nut would tighten properly.  It was enough of a pain that I just took all the washers off, but on the side where it was snug, the friction made the bearing shield wear down.  I don’t ride my wheels tight, it’s very annoying because it ruined my bearings.
[close]

Yes I’ve had this on both classics and AF1s. If you use wheel spacers, removing them will give you some more room. I used spacers for many years, and I have only noticed improvements since I stopped using them. That’s a whole other rant though.

You technically don’t need the inside washer due to the tapered hanger, so that could give you some more room too. Inspect the machine work on the hanger before running it without an inner washer, you may need to file it down to make it smooth/flush.

Ace are my truck of choice, but god damn their QC sucks. It would be nice to buy a set that didn’t come defective from day 1.
If you have a ruler and can show that the one side is shorter than the other, this is 100% a QC issue and should be covered under warranty. And their customer service has a decent reputation, they should sort you out with a new pair relatively easily.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #6904 on: April 16, 2024, 05:54:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Disassemble the truck and spray paint. Did that with some blue ace base plates that I painted silver. Did a thin layer let it dry in the sun and repeat

I’ve had to take away a washer to get the nut to stay on my AF1 hanger. Maybe try an axle nut from another truck. I had to do that. Used an Indy axle nut to hold one of my wheels on otherwise running the ace brand nut flush with the thread could be loosened by my finger. Thankfully the trucks (af1 44) have worked fine since.
[close]

What spraypaint did you use? I've always wanted to try painting some baseplates but I don't wanna fuck it up and have the paint come flaking off or something.
Krylon brand metallic in silver.  I would imagine cleaning the baseplate and letting it dry before applying thin layers would yield the best results

nothing's been the since same

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #6905 on: April 17, 2024, 06:22:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Krylon brand metallic in silver.  I would imagine cleaning the baseplate and letting it dry before applying thin layers would yield the best results

Right on, thanks man.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6906 on: April 17, 2024, 07:12:48 PM »
Anyone know if JT's chop shop ever has hollow hangers in stock? I've only been seeing the regular ones last few times I checked

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6907 on: April 17, 2024, 08:35:47 PM »
Anyone know if JT's chop shop ever has hollow hangers in stock? I've only been seeing the regular ones last few times I checked

I feel like I could almost post word for word an answer on the last page, but quite simply I don't check often enough to know if anything is really updated, but I seem to recall seeing the same half dozen sets of baseplates, as well as the same basic options in hangers and bushings each time I check - only hollow option in the Chop Shop is the low baseplate which has a hollow kingpin.

The regular shop seems to have everything else in stock now though, as last time I had checked, there were gaps / sold out in the 60, 66 and similar sizes in both hangers and whole trucks.

I could imagine if someone preferred a solid kingpin baseplate with hollow axle hangers, you would have to mix and match, getting whole hollow trucks and solid baseplates, just as a simple example.

If anyone has any other info, it would be good to post, so everyone knows - some things I have such limited knowledge about, so it would be good to set the record straight, if I did give incorrect info.

Answer from last page:

Anyone know if there are drops for the Chop Shop? Or do they stock randomly. On the hunt for some 60 hangars.

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop

I feel like the most common trucks have been out of stock for a while, but that might just be whenever I have checked in recent months.

No idea if they restock and sell out, or if the standard lines, most commonly the 60s and 66s look like they are always out of stock.

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/af1-trucks

Seems like those sets of trucks have been restocked though, all 60s in stock which probably doesn't help you much - get the trucks as a whole and sell the baseplates might be the best option there, or keep them as spares.

I know some people were keen on the low basplates too.

With Ace it is the same hanger throughout all their trucks, just the height difference in the baseplate, as people have said on here before.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pops

• Rep: 238
« Reply #6908 on: April 17, 2024, 09:00:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have two sets that have difference in the threaded axle length. It's nothing too drastic as long as I dont start adding extra washers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 10:26:17 PM by pops »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6909 on: April 17, 2024, 09:54:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like I could almost post word for word an answer on the last page, but quite simply I don't check often enough to know if anything is really updated, but I seem to recall seeing the same half dozen sets of baseplates, as well as the same basic options in hangers and bushings each time I check - only hollow option in the Chop Shop is the low baseplate which has a hollow kingpin.

The regular shop seems to have everything else in stock now though, as last time I had checked, there were gaps / sold out in the 60, 66 and similar sizes in both hangers and whole trucks.

I could imagine if someone preferred a solid kingpin baseplate with hollow axle hangers, you would have to mix and match, getting whole hollow trucks and solid baseplates, just as a simple example.

If anyone has any other info, it would be good to post, so everyone knows - some things I have such limited knowledge about, so it would be good to set the record straight, if I did give incorrect info.

Answer from last page:

Expand Quote
Anyone know if there are drops for the Chop Shop? Or do they stock randomly. On the hunt for some 60 hangars.
[close]

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop

I feel like the most common trucks have been out of stock for a while, but that might just be whenever I have checked in recent months.

No idea if they restock and sell out, or if the standard lines, most commonly the 60s and 66s look like they are always out of stock.

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/af1-trucks

Seems like those sets of trucks have been restocked though, all 60s in stock which probably doesn't help you much - get the trucks as a whole and sell the baseplates might be the best option there, or keep them as spares.

I know some people were keen on the low basplates too.

With Ace it is the same hanger throughout all their trucks, just the height difference in the baseplate, as people have said on here before.

Ah yeah my bad if this was answered before I should have checked first. Basically I borrowed a set of AF1 44 hollows from an injured friend and tossed those hangers on low baseplates to make a fully hollow Ace AF1 low. I was wondering if I could buy replacement hollow hangers, but seems like I might need to get my homie new trucks lol.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6910 on: April 18, 2024, 01:52:06 AM »

Ah yeah my bad if this was answered before I should have checked first. Basically I borrowed a set of AF1 44 hollows from an injured friend and tossed those hangers on low baseplates to make a fully hollow Ace AF1 low. I was wondering if I could buy replacement hollow hangers, but seems like I might need to get my homie new trucks lol.

Oh it was not at all the same question so no worries there.

Just one of those funny things that it seems they have a good setup there, being able to get specific parts, or mix and match colours as some people want to do, but it is also a bit limited in that there are some things not in stock and other things not even listed there, like hollow axle hangers.

Maybe if or when they get a whole lot more in, they could put them up, or as I have done in my own shop with generic parts of other brand trucks, I have been able to do mix and match for some people, given a kingpin or baseplate might break here, or a hanger might wear out there, so anything in the plain silver is easy to take apart and sell individually.

I know some people like the Indy forged baseplates, others want hollow axles on standard baseplates, so I can mix and match in that regard too.

Just need to keep the spares ready, or when you buy specific parts, then see if anyone else wants some things in a more broad swap and trade.

I think there would be more people wanting some of those things that some people might think, either in the local area, local shop or even online.

* Also I didn't realise that the Ace low baseplate only came with hollow kingpins and solid axles on a set of trucks, so that is an interesting point to note too.  I would say get the normal hollow trucks and then the low baseplates, so you have both options in height, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 19
« Reply #6911 on: April 18, 2024, 05:50:58 AM »
Been on AF1's for like 2 weeks coming from only skating indys and I've learned smiths and feebles on rails almost immediately. Ace forever now I guess

JimmyFive

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6912 on: April 21, 2024, 03:25:58 AM »
Bit of Madness setting in... I've just set up some Af1 77's on the big board. They are replacing the Classic 66's.
For some reason I'm getting more wheelbite on Af1's than I was getting on the Classics.
I noticed the Af1 barrel bushing is a mm or 2 shorter than the Classic barrel - confirmed with calipers. The Af1 top bushing also has a more conical shape than the Classic top.

Are the Classics actually 52mm high or are they really 55mm as per the Ace chart online? I'm even wondering if I somehow have the Af1 low bushings in my regular Af1's... Perhaps the Af1 bushings just need to break in and in harden up a touch.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 03:40:45 AM by JimmyFive »

JimmyFive

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6913 on: April 21, 2024, 04:38:03 AM »
I think the bushing height difference is explained by compression - the truck was cinched right down when I received them stock. Still can't help thinking the Classics may be higher just going by wheelbite - and the Ace table!

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6914 on: April 21, 2024, 07:40:18 AM »
Bit of Madness setting in... I've just set up some Af1 77's on the big board. They are replacing the Classic 66's.
For some reason I'm getting more wheelbite on Af1's than I was getting on the Classics.
I noticed the Af1 barrel bushing is a mm or 2 shorter than the Classic barrel - confirmed with calipers. The Af1 top bushing also has a more conical shape than the Classic top.

Are the Classics actually 52mm high or are they really 55mm as per the Ace chart online? I'm even wondering if I somehow have the Af1 low bushings in my regular Af1's... Perhaps the Af1 bushings just need to break in and in harden up a touch.

Classic and AF1 bushings are the same size, unless you got a set of lows. Lows would also explain more wheelbite. In my experience, AF1s feel more stable than classics and less prone to wheel bite.

Classics and AF1s are both 53.5mm tall if I remember correctly

pops

• Rep: 238
« Reply #6915 on: April 21, 2024, 08:55:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Classic and AF1 bushings are the same size, unless you got a set of lows. Lows would also explain more wheelbite. In my experience, AF1s feel more stable than classics and less prone to wheel bite.

Classics and AF1s are both 53.5mm tall if I remember correctly

I dont think they're same size. Classics height is 52mm btw.