Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 115784 times)

Idk and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

blueskynoise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #390 on: January 06, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People are so brainwashed by Vans, this is literally saying "Hey we know we keep fucking up and changing the insoles/fits of our shoes so here's a complete rebrand of the same shit but changed again... Hopefully they dont hurt your feet!".
[close]

Hit the nail on the head.
[close]
100%
Last 2 pairs of Vans I've skated had been a disappointment: kwalks 2 and Rowan's. Don't get me wrong, Rowan's shoe are awesome but these ones feel super stiff on my right foot only. Super weird.

I kinda felt the same about my white suede/gum sole Rowans. They felt really stiff. The first color released, blue mesh with white sole, were perfect. I have a brand new pair in the box for this summer

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #391 on: January 06, 2021, 04:25:52 PM »
Huh... interesting development. I do like the all black colorways with white laces at least. Does anyone know if they're going to do this with Halfcabs too?

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #392 on: January 06, 2021, 04:42:51 PM »
Dig the colorways but super hesitant to try them. Ever since they switched to popcush, shoes that I've been skating for years with no problems, have suddenly been giving me blisters. Might have to steer clear of any "pro" or "skate" line and stick to the classics

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #393 on: January 06, 2021, 06:32:15 PM »
Dig the colorways but super hesitant to try them. Ever since they switched to popcush, shoes that I've been skating for years with no problems, have suddenly been giving me blisters. Might have to steer clear of any "pro" or "skate" line and stick to the classics

I have been stripping out the footbed on the classics for a long time and putting in my special old Vans pro insoles from way back that make everything feel like it did in the TNT2 shoes.

The classic shoes have a stiffer sole and to me last longer than the pro versions, but everyone is different.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #394 on: January 07, 2021, 05:05:26 AM »
that shiny outsole will definitely improve my kickturns
good come sausage

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #395 on: January 07, 2021, 05:20:24 AM »
Huh... interesting development. I do like the all black colorways with white laces at least. Does anyone know if they're going to do this with Halfcabs too?

Just speculation on my part, but I would think the Half Cabs would be included as well, since it wouldn't make sense to revamp the entire line, but leave just one shoe the same. Wouldn't surprise me if they replaced the regular Half Cab Pro with the Half Cab Pro '92 (the Uprise Half Cab), which we already know they're using for the upcoming Reynolds Half Cab colourway. This would appease my complaints that the Half Cab pro has a bad shape and doesn't look right.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #396 on: January 07, 2021, 06:56:59 AM »
I’m surprised they aren’t just giving Reynolds his own damn shoe.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #397 on: January 07, 2021, 09:06:35 AM »
I actually think a Vans Reynolds model would be weird.  Happy to just see him put his name on some classics colorways.

Crap

« Reply #398 on: January 07, 2021, 10:16:11 AM »
Seems like Vans' philosophy on pro models is that if they're going to give you one, they want to give you more in the years that follow. Reynolds probably doesn't have much time left as a full time pro skater, so there isn't a long-term brand to be built around Reynolds pro models the way there may be around Rowan or Berle, who are the most recent people to get their first Vans pro models, and probably have many years as pro skaters left. Anyone on the back end of their skate career who has a pro model (AVE and Caballero) has been there a long time and had a few previous Vans pro shoes. Not that Reynolds doesn't deserve a pro model, but giving him one wouldn't really fit in with how Vans normally gives out pro models. For the same reason, I would think Tony Hawk isn't getting one either, even though he obviously has more name recognition than like Chima Ferguson.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #399 on: January 07, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I actually think a Vans Reynolds model would be weird.  Happy to just see him put his name on some classics colorways.

Nah.

He’d make a great shoe that would sell really well.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #400 on: January 07, 2021, 11:32:37 AM »
Seems like Vans' philosophy on pro models is that if they're going to give you one, they want to give you more in the years that follow. Reynolds probably doesn't have much time left as a full time pro skater, so there isn't a long-term brand to be built around Reynolds pro models the way there may be around Rowan or Berle, who are the most recent people to get their first Vans pro models, and probably have many years as pro skaters left. Anyone on the back end of their skate career who has a pro model (AVE and Caballero) has been there a long time and had a few previous Vans pro shoes. Not that Reynolds doesn't deserve a pro model, but giving him one wouldn't really fit in with how Vans normally gives out pro models. For the same reason, I would think Tony Hawk isn't getting one either, even though he obviously has more name recognition than like Chima Ferguson.
but they keep making TNT shoes/colorways?

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #401 on: January 07, 2021, 11:48:01 AM »
I used to love Vans for their iconic and timeless shoe-designs.
But nowadays it seems like, theyre trying to jump on the tech bandwagon. Ii bet a lot of you like the new shoes they have put out in the recent years, but in my opinion they just lost their iconic design.

I don't see an issue honestly, there's a market for the techy shoes, and it's better for people in that market to buy vans (Which is present for local scenes supporting contests, giveaways, etc.) rather than a corporate brand that does barley anything for skating, and vans still make classic shoes that aren't techy

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #402 on: January 07, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »
If Hawkman ain't getting a shoe model, I doubt Reynolds would. I'm fine with whatever shoe the pro prefers and they get a colorway out of it. Nice happy medium for the aging pros. Plus doesn't cost Vans a whole lot for R&D and keeps interest in the Vans classic models for older gen of skaters who recognize a familiar name but might not have bought or jumped ship from Vans for various reasons. Keep the new vans models for the up and coming pro's.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #403 on: January 07, 2021, 09:02:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe TNT is also in the same category as the lifers, as he has been on Vans (and almost all his tier one sponsors Antihero, Indy, Spitfire, Jessup, etc) since day dot, but even if he is not liked on here so much, he is still a big seller for them in general and still has a big following.

Apart from classic Half Cabs and some Half Cab pro shoes, the various TNT shoes are a close second if not top for the highest number of pairs of signature shoes I have had over the years, mainly TNT, TNT2, TNT4, TNT5 and a few models of the other versions, but I think maybe classic Old Skools / Old Skool pro would probably be the number one overall.

Thankfully I don't need any more shoes any time soon, but these new "skate" versions could go either way really, depending on how people find the fit of them.  I still like the current fit of Half Cabs, both classic and pro, which feel so comfortable all over for my feet, but everyone is different.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #404 on: January 07, 2021, 10:38:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Maybe TNT is also in the same category as the lifers, as he has been on Vans (and almost all his tier one sponsors Antihero, Indy, Spitfire, Jessup, etc) since day dot, but even if he is not liked on here so much, he is still a big seller for them in general and still has a big following.

Apart from classic Half Cabs and some Half Cab pro shoes, the various TNT shoes are a close second if not top for the highest number of pairs of signature shoes I have had over the years, mainly TNT, TNT2, TNT4, TNT5 and a few models of the other versions, but I think maybe classic Old Skools / Old Skool pro would probably be the number one overall.

Thankfully I don't need any more shoes any time soon, but these new "skate" versions could go either way really, depending on how people find the fit of them.  I still like the current fit of Half Cabs, both classic and pro, which feel so comfortable all over for my feet, but everyone is different.
I think it's likely that TNT is now kinda like Jack Purcell or Chuck Taylor. People know the shoe but don't necessarily know  the person the shoe was named after. Like you pointed out, there's been a TNT shoe for years now and I wouldn't be surprised if some people just always look for the TNT model when they go to pick up a new pair of Vans.

Up until recently, I hadn't seen TNT footage since the release of the most recent shoe which was at least a few years ago now. I would imagine that Vans has metrics that tell them to keep giving the dude shoes even if he isn't really that productive anymore.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #405 on: January 08, 2021, 01:35:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I think it's likely that TNT is now kinda like Jack Purcell or Chuck Taylor. People know the shoe but don't necessarily know  the person the shoe was named after. Like you pointed out, there's been a TNT shoe for years now and I wouldn't be surprised if some people just always look for the TNT model when they go to pick up a new pair of Vans.

Up until recently, I hadn't seen TNT footage since the release of the most recent shoe which was at least a few years ago now. I would imagine that Vans has metrics that tell them to keep giving the dude shoes even if he isn't really that productive anymore.

I think in one of TNTs IG stories/posts when the Advanced Prototype was about to come out/just came out, he was commenting on how other riders were stoked he got a model and it had the new 3D Ultracush insole. TNT practically didn't care/know what was under the hood in his pro shoe! Just stoked to skate. Which was so funny because it gives the impression Van's felt the shoe would be a hit and they were just giving it to TNT, since his name can sell the silhouette. Just along for the ride in his own world with skating and music haha!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Crap

« Reply #406 on: January 08, 2021, 05:19:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's exactly what I mean - I don't care for TNT at all, but he's been on Vans forever, and had a pile of previous pro models on Vans (some of which sold very well), so he gets pro models. Or at least got pro models - I'd be surprised if he gets another one. If TNT had spent his whole career on Emerica, then got on Vans last year; he wouldn't get a pro model now. Not to say TNT is equivalent to Reynolds, but their status in the Vans hierarchy is different.

TNT got his first pro model when he was young, then stayed on Vans and stayed productive/relevant for a long time, so he got more. Seems like the guys with pro models on Vans right now all follow a trajectory along those lines, and are just at various stages of it:

1) Skaters just entering their prime who recently got their first pro model (Berle, Rowan)
2) More established skaters who still have some gas in the tank and are now on their second or third pro model (Chima, Kyle Walker, Crockett)
3) Skaters who have been on forever and had a whole bunch of pro models (AVE, Rowley, TNT, Cab)

Whether or not Reynolds deserves it is a separate debate; I'm just saying I don't see it happening because it doesn't fit the way Vans usually decides who gets a pro model. Outside of AVE, there is nobody with a Vans pro shoe who had a long tenure or a pro model on another shoe brand that I'm aware of.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #407 on: January 08, 2021, 07:54:57 AM »
tnt 5 was a pretty good shoe. i didn't like the sgs a lot. some earlier models were pretty cool, too. the newest isn't my thing.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #408 on: January 08, 2021, 07:57:45 AM »
A dr t would be so dope rn

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #409 on: January 08, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »
Anyone know if vans is gonna drop another colorway of the Rowley RapidWeld  pro with the waffle cup that’s not all black or the navy one currently? Why can’t company’s just make a black upper and white sole?!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:19 PM »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #411 on: January 08, 2021, 01:19:15 PM »
Super Champion Fun Zone

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #412 on: January 08, 2021, 01:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Would also be on board. Van Wastell had such sick footage in those.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #413 on: January 08, 2021, 02:02:55 PM »
Anyone know if vans is gonna drop another colorway of the Rowley RapidWeld  pro with the waffle cup that’s not all black or the navy one currently? Why can’t company’s just make a black upper and white sole?!

I've been asking myself the same question for years.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #414 on: January 08, 2021, 04:10:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Would also be on board. Van Wastell had such sick footage in those.

Yes, yes very true

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #415 on: January 08, 2021, 06:38:00 PM »

Ground up rebuild

Link broken or post deleted - now you got my curiosity I want to know what it was...

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: January 08, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Ground up rebuild
[close]

Link broken or post deleted - now you got my curiosity I want to know what it was...

employee of vans skate talking about his 3rd year st the company and this project rebuilding this new skate classics line being a ton of work

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: January 08, 2021, 06:52:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ground up rebuild
[close]

[close]
employee of vans skate talking about his 3rd year st the company and this project rebuilding this new skate classics line being a ton of work

Thanks!  I recall talking to a guy who was helping with things and he couldn't believe some of the people in such important positions didn't know a thing about skateboarding, so was wondering how they could ever be the ones successfully designing skateboarding shoes.  It might be a good thing that actual skaters are being involved in the process.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #418 on: January 08, 2021, 07:42:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ground up rebuild
[close]

[close]
[close]

Thanks!  I recall talking to a guy who was helping with things and he couldn't believe some of the people in such important positions didn't know a thing about skateboarding, so was wondering how they could ever be the ones successfully designing skateboarding shoes.  It might be a good thing that actual skaters are being involved in the process.

More reason for me to feel happy in my cupsoles from es, etnies, lakai, and NB#, where actual skateboarders are involved when making their shoes!!  ;D

But this new rebuild of skate classics is utterly baffling. Vans loves using jargon that confuses the hell out of people.
Super Champion Fun Zone

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #419 on: January 08, 2021, 09:51:21 PM »
PSA: vans Australia website has Ave pro’s for $50, down from $200!

I got 2 pairs (size 11 & 12) to see which one fits better...i have a few skate shoes but the deal was too good to pass up and everyone here has been talking good things about Ave’s.