Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 115867 times)

garforth and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #810 on: December 27, 2022, 06:22:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I kinda fuck with. those
[close]

I couldn't.

Didn't in like 2005 vans (maybe DC I can't remember) drop a bunch of waterproof skate shoes that looked normal.

That would be kinda sick. A rain skating shoe.
[close]

but they did those goretex halfcabs recently, too. those looked normal.

There are three palace goretex half cabs coming out this week.   One upsets me greatly bc it’s a colorway I’ve wanted on a regular ass half cab for almost a decade after Uprise did a minuscule run

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #811 on: December 27, 2022, 07:08:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I kinda fuck with. those
[close]

I couldn't.

Didn't in like 2005 vans (maybe DC I can't remember) drop a bunch of waterproof skate shoes that looked normal.

[close]

[close]

There are three palace goretex half cabs coming out this week.   One upsets me greatly bc it’s a colorway I’ve wanted on a regular ass half cab for almost a decade after Uprise did a minuscule run
There's Gore Tex Sk8 his and old skools too (not palace) wouldn't be surprised if there's also slip ons, eras etc

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #812 on: December 27, 2022, 08:13:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I kinda fuck with. those
[close]

I couldn't.

[close]

[close]

[close]
There's Gore Tex Sk8 his and old skools too (not palace) wouldn't be surprised if there's also slip ons, eras etc

http://www.instagram.com/p/Cmsp0PwsOD0/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

JK42

• Rep: 20
« Reply #813 on: January 07, 2023, 02:35:05 AM »
Good people, a question on the Crockett lows if you would allow. In vans i normally skate eras and authentics, but new year and new things and vans have the crocketts on sale i thought i might mix it up.  Wanted to ask if anyone could kindly comment on how the general sizing and toe box width was on the new crocketts, and also what the waffle cup is like for boardfeel compared to the standard vans vulc.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:14:05 AM by JK42 »

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #814 on: January 07, 2023, 06:35:58 AM »
Yet another winterized half cab version is coming

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #815 on: January 07, 2023, 11:04:06 AM »
You just gotta go inside once the snow gets to ankle height.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #816 on: January 07, 2023, 11:40:12 AM »

upload pic

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 105
« Reply #817 on: January 07, 2023, 12:28:01 PM »
Good people, a question on the Crockett lows if you would allow. In vans i normally skate eras and authentics, but new year and new things and vans have the crocketts on sale i thought i might mix it up.  Wanted to ask if anyone could kindly comment on how the general sizing and toe box width was on the new crocketts, and also what the waffle cup is like for boardfeel compared to the standard vans vulc.

True to size for me, and had space for toes. Opposite of Nike SB for me. The sole still has a good amount of boardfeel and is sort of skateable out of the box. More durable than the vulcs, I’d say.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #818 on: January 07, 2023, 01:03:11 PM »
"You kids love that gorp core don't ya?" they asked, sweating nervously.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

MikeX

• Rep: 7
« Reply #819 on: January 07, 2023, 07:24:33 PM »
You just gotta go inside once the snow gets to ankle height.

Which is funny because they fully could have used the full cab for this instead of the half.

JK42

« Reply #820 on: January 08, 2023, 12:26:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True to size for me, and had space for toes. Opposite of Nike SB for me. The sole still has a good amount of boardfeel and is sort of skateable out of the box. More durable than the vulcs, I’d say.

Yes 100% with you on anything Nike SB, toes are like sardines. Thanks so much your thoughts and advice. Trigger pulled.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #821 on: January 08, 2023, 02:00:28 AM »
Possible hot take here:

I think the waffle cup toe/front area of the sole is not as durable as the skate line vulcs. Crocketts and Kwalks have noticeably less rubber than the vulcs to wear away. Plus they feel softer/more pliable then Sk8 Hi or Half Cab.
They also feel softer in the front of the shoe compared to the vulcs. Waffle cup is supposed to be support meets boardfeel but it's just more boardfeel on a "cup " sole... Pretty much a "glorified" vulc.

Wafflecup feels less durable and supportive compared to Skate vulcs. That's my hot take

They do skate well if you like how they fit/feel on a board, tho!

I nearly  blew through a pair of Kwalks rubber on the toe in 1 week a couple years ago when filming/skating regularly.
That was a first and the current Skate line Half Cabs definitely don't do that. Crockett could do that but haven't skated them in awhile. Come to think of it, nearly all of my shoes in 16.5 years of skating have not done that.
Super Champion Fun Zone

boogs

« Reply #822 on: January 08, 2023, 06:55:55 AM »

why come though

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 105
« Reply #823 on: January 08, 2023, 11:46:15 AM »
Possible hot take here:

I think the waffle cup toe/front area of the sole is not as durable as the skate line vulcs. Crocketts and Kwalks have noticeably less rubber than the vulcs to wear away. Plus they feel softer/more pliable then Sk8 Hi or Half Cab.
They also feel softer in the front of the shoe compared to the vulcs. Waffle cup is supposed to be support meets boardfeel but it's just more boardfeel on a "cup " sole... Pretty much a "glorified" vulc.

Wafflecup feels less durable and supportive compared to Skate vulcs. That's my hot take

I nearly  blew through a pair of Kwalks rubber on the toe in 1 week a couple years ago when filming/skating regularly.
That was a first and the current Skate line Half Cabs definitely don't do that. Crockett could do that but haven't skated them in awhile. Come to think of it, nearly all of my shoes in 16.5 years of skating have not done that.

Vans vulcs would be perfect if not for that foxing tape peeling off of the waffle sole problem that is so common. This can happen even in ones I don’t skate in. If they fixed that, I’d have no complaints really.

JK42

« Reply #824 on: January 08, 2023, 01:20:59 PM »
Possible hot take here:

[/quote

I like the “hot take”. I haven't personally done any filming, but I did used to pulverise vulcs when i road bmx brakeless and used the soles to brake on the back tyre. (I digress) So does “softer” mean more boardfeel than the skate classics vulc in your opinion?

hayduke lives

• Rep: 35
« Reply #825 on: January 08, 2023, 01:33:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Possible hot take here:

[close]

Vans vulcs would be perfect if not for that foxing tape peeling off of the waffle sole problem that is so common. This can happen even in ones I don’t skate in. If they fixed that, I’d have no complaints really.

what's annoying is that i found some of my old, heavily skated carroll's recently and the foxing is still bonded to the shoe super good. they definitely have lowered the quality over time. i was a multi-decade vans wearer but gave up on them a few years ago.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 01:49:43 PM by hayduke lives »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #826 on: January 08, 2023, 02:21:29 PM »
I really like those MTE halfcabs, I’ve been trying to find a pair of their sk8hi ones in my size forever, but I might just wait out for these now

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #827 on: January 08, 2023, 10:57:45 PM »
I don't get people skating Vans unless you're really young.
Pros were ok-ish but they lasted very little, sure the skate ones fixed that but now they feel like crap.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #828 on: January 09, 2023, 02:09:36 AM »
Pros were ok-ish but they lasted very little, sure the skate ones fixed that but now they feel like crap.

I totally understand the dislike for Vans shoes and often tell people there are way better, longer lasting or other options in different brands, but I would never wear anything else nowdays (at almost fifty in a couple of years) but it does come with a cost.

The main thing for me is how I know exactly what they feel like, exactly how they will perform every single time, can put on a new pair from day one (after I have modified them to how I like them) and they are pretty much perfect from the first session, through to the last session, with only a bit of super glue on stitches or a little shoe goo on high wear areas.

More often than not I prefer the classic / stiffer versions of shoes I wear a lot, strip out the glued in insole, angle grind round the bottom edge, mainly just taking the white trim off and giving the gum a slight angle, put in modified pro insoles with cardboard "orthotic like fit" and they are perfect - from Half Cabs, Old Skools, Era, Authentic and the Sk8 low, mid or hi, along with some others I have, all those in pro versions and others like the 112 pro, but yes the pro versions are so soft and more prone to blowing out and the vulc trim coming away from the sole or the shoe upper.

People look at me funny when I explain what I do to a pair of shoes before I wear them, but that is ok.  I know I am all kinds of weird like that, but from doing this for so long, it is pretty easy and not at all difficult for me to do.

Trying to wear in any other brand or option of shoe is what makes me go mad and causes great difficulty, so I will take what I know and love every time, even with the little bit of extra work I have to put in to get them just right.

Even the AVE shoe, or some of the Vans cup options are a hard no for me, but would work better for a lot of people who need more support or a more solid shoe.  Tried them and within a day or so, my ankles, knees and feet are killing me, so it is this not so simple vulc shoe combination that I keep up with and this is all I wear, to skate, to work, to go shopping, etc.

I also have a few pairs of the new Skate range - Old Skools, Sk8 low and something else, but haven't worn them much at all as I can't modify them as easily and tried wearing them more as is, then put them back in their boxes to try again later and have never got them back out.

Got way too many pairs of normal shoes still to go though, so not a worry there.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #829 on: January 09, 2023, 07:43:25 AM »
I like the Ultra Cush and the Pop Cush quite a bit. I think the Pop Cush models seem like an improvement over the Ultra but I was still really happy with those too. I am wearing the Chima ones from awhile ago which are Ultra and I dont have any complaints at all really other than they feel a bit loose and hard compared to the new Pop Half Cabs i just got. those feel great and for the price maybe i will have to switch off of NB#. I just have to see how they last but I really like how they feel so far. they feel the perfect width to my foot and the materials feel nice on your feet. its very snug but it feels cushiony and doesnt hurt / feel hard or tight. board feel is pretty good - its different to the NB 306 I am used to but it definintely still works for me. there are advantages and disadvantages to both and i cant say i would pick one over the other.

i wear ultra Sk8 Hi MTE for my snowskate shoe and man that is a great shoe. I cant wait to get a version with pop cush, i think its going to be a such a nice shoe.
ONTARIO CANADA

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #830 on: January 09, 2023, 07:57:10 AM »

They make some models of shoes which fit my feet and my skating very well so I continue to buy them when I need new skate shoes. I don't understand what age could possible have to do with it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2023, 08:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They make some models of shoes which fit my feet and my skating very well so I continue to buy them when I need new skate shoes. I don't understand what age could possible have to do with it.
If anything wouldn't older people be more into vans?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #832 on: January 09, 2023, 08:12:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Vans are hugely popular with young non-skaters, that's for sure, but also yeah, one would think that the old heads who grew up with Airwalk, Vision and Vans as the only legit skate shoe options would have fond feelings for the brand.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #833 on: January 09, 2023, 09:46:48 AM »
I dont fuck with Vans at all usualy but I must say the last 2 pairs of Vans I skated in were really really good. (Ultrarange Pro and the Kyle Walker 2s). It seems like their cupsole options (that aren't trying to simulate a vulc) are really good but their other options are unsupportive and don't really last that long.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2023, 11:42:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think most old people have been to enough malls to see that Vans is mostly a lifestyle brand and/or are pretty aware that they have their own flaws and faults like any other brand. I see a lot of older bowl trolls rocking brands you wouldn't expect lately when you'd assume they'd have sk8-hi's to go with their 80's shaped decks.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: January 09, 2023, 11:52:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I think most old people have been to enough malls to see that Vans is mostly a lifestyle brand and/or are pretty aware that they have their own flaws and faults like any other brand. I see a lot of older bowl trolls rocking brands you wouldn't expect lately when you'd assume they'd have sk8-hi's to go with their 80's shaped decks.

There are still malls where you are?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #836 on: January 09, 2023, 12:48:03 PM »
Strip malls I guess, but ya, large "fashion centers". Essentially a mall, but it's not all under one roof.

I mean, it doesn't matter anyways since all these posers don't know it's spelled "Old Skool"

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #837 on: January 09, 2023, 09:33:47 PM »
Vans are great and the skate line has not disappointed me or a bunch of other skaters I know who choose them consistently.

I bought some of the slip ons recently and they feel awesome. A little stiff right now but no doubt they'll break in and feel snug like they tend to do.

If you like a good, fairly durable vulc then there's not much better out there.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #838 on: January 10, 2023, 04:16:49 AM »
from time to time I forget how much my feet hurt on vans and buy a new pair just cause they look good, only to regret it in the first session and then never using them for walking or work, it happened me with the rowleys, berles, crocket 1 and 2  ;D

only good vans of the last years was the ultrarange pro
it had a real cupsole foam and waffle grip, they had nailed the perfect combo
it needed more ventilation and some colors
 but they didn't kept that line of shoe soles :(

the nice thing about them its that the grip its always there if you skate a lot of tranny or parks, but basic flatground skating for a 33 years old dude like me, feels like an impact test after a while.

JK42

« Reply #839 on: January 10, 2023, 04:59:21 AM »
For me personally, if i venture away from Vans i soon come back. They arent the best shoes, but as an old git bowl troll with the odd slappy, they are a known quantity. I have tried Numeric, Adidas, Etnies, Emerica, i even tried some Last Resorts, all great shoes but cant help feeling i look like mutton dressed as lamb.

If anyone from Vans is listening (as that nice fellow @rothdigga does on the new balance thread) then please could you consider reducing the height of popcush insoles so feet feel lower in the shoe,  abandon duracap as it makes the shoes feel a bit plasticy, and up your natural suede quality instead. Be nice to make some canvas eras with a rubber ollie patch on the outside, and finally realise that you have a classic shoe in the making and turn the hightop canvas authentics into a regular shoe run, not just an Andrew Allen one off.

Just a thought. Thanks