Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 115879 times)

shingles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
new Vans models
« on: April 22, 2020, 03:52:07 AM »
I used to love Vans for their iconic and timeless shoe-designs.
But nowadays it seems like, theyre trying to jump on the tech bandwagon. Ii bet a lot of you like the new shoes they have put out in the recent years, but in my opinion they just lost their iconic design.

The last realease I was really stoked on, were the Rowles SPVs:

and the Rowley Solos:

The new designs just seem to have lost their classic feel. One horrible mention is the Berle Pro:

And the AVE shoe would be very sick, but why did they have to choose this weird material for the sole and the outers?

I wish they could just stick to their calssic waffle cup soles and the timeless vans design. But with shoes like this:

or this:

they just disappoint me with every new release and I went back to converse.

Converse somehow keeps sticking to their roots and good designs...
support your local ramp-tramp

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 04:50:22 AM »
Seems like they still have plenty of the classic designs youre talking about. I mean those two you posted just seemed like riffs on old skools and eras? Those AA are literally a high top version of one of the first shoes they put out.  I did not like the look but the AVE's were probably the best feeling vans I've had in years.
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Vans/catpage-VANS.html

shingles

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 04:53:54 AM »
Seems like they still have plenty of the classic designs youre talking about. I mean those two you posted just seemed like riffs on old skools and eras? Those AA are literally a high top version of one of the first shoes they put out.  I did not like the look but the AVE's were probably the best feeling vans I've had in years.

They still do have some of the iconic designs, but they usually fuck it up with either disgusting materials or a gross looking toecap. I know they still offer the old models such as the OldSkool or the Era but I wish they could release something like the SPV or the SOLOS...

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 04:58:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They still do have some of the iconic designs, but they usually fuck it up with either disgusting materials or a gross looking toecap. I know they still offer the old models such as the OldSkool or the Era but I wish they could release something like the SPV or the SOLOS...
Not gonna defend the style of the new shoes but they definitely feel better now than what I remember from the era you're talking about.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 04:59:19 AM »
i also don't like most of the vans pro cupsoles (imo the best looking cupsole vans isn't even a skate model, see https://images.vans.com/is/image/Vans/TKKDDN-HERO?$583x583$), but i'm glad that they aren't just slapping new uppers on that pro vulc sole and calling it a day, it's cool that they put out bulkier, more "tech" shoes too. i mean they aren't replacing the classics with them so why does it bother you?

also, the authentic high is just an authentic, but higher. i wouldn't say they're all that ugly, i'd skate them if i could get them for cheap.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

shingles

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 05:08:30 AM »
I bet theyre all pretty good for skating, but they just dont look good in my opinion.
Also a big thing is the prize of the shoes.

here in europe you pay up to 140 for a pair of AVEs, 130 for a pair of Berle Pros
but you pay 90 for a Nike SB Blazer, 90-100 for some CTAs Pro or 100 for a Busenitz Pro
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:12:58 AM by shingles »

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 05:13:06 AM »
I bet theyre all pretty good for skating, but they just dont look good in my opinion.

here in europe you pay up to 140 for a pair of AVEs, 130 for a pair of Berle Pros

i know g, i live in europe too  ;D although they're a bit cheaper here, it's ~100 euro for the aves and like 90 for the berles. still too much for me, but i always manage to find classic vans for about 20-30 euros so i don't really care for the prices of those newer skate models as i'd never buy them
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 05:22:59 AM »
Before they started making all these more tech models all I heard was vans were taking it too easy and making the same basic vulc shoes. Then people started complaining about the new models and saying it's like the early 2000s when they made a bunch of wild tech shoes.

Personally I love the classics and I like the new AVEs, Rowans, etc. I think Vans are doing quite well financially at the moment(at least before this pandemic anyway) and are trying to diversify their shoes to solidify their position in skateboarding. Their trying to compete against Nike, Converse, Adidas, New Balance. They really can't rely on making simple looking vulc shoes and hoping that people buy them. With getting Reynolds and Birdman, I think Vans is finally realizing that if they want to compete against the big guys they gotta act like one themselves.

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 05:34:55 AM »
This is only the beginning, vans will definitely see this tech resurgence through a second time. Plus, both of those Rowleys you posted were easily the most uncomfortable ones they released. Rowley OG's or nothing

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 05:43:49 AM »
I dunno. I love the classics but my ankles do not as much. I can do half cabs, but eras kill my feet. Haven't worn old skools in about 7 years so I'm not sure. I kind of do like the Ave Pro. I have been pondering wearing Vans again after I run out of adidas. I wish the pro shoes had a bit of variety on look though. I feel (and this is just me skimming the site) that a lot look the same, generally speaking.

Are the AVE worth it? Can't imagine paying 100 bucks for Vans, just based on how much I've torn Vans up in my life.

I like the Rowleys, TNT, and Rowan. I am 100% not a fan of those toecaps , like on Berle shoe. Reminds me of ex-girlfriends Skechers n shit.

Escape Hell

• Rep: 26
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 06:53:18 AM »
Picked up the suede AA authentic hi’s, and they are comfy as fuck. I haven’t skated them yet but they seem like they would be durable. It’s been awhile since I’ve skated Vans and those AVEs look sick as fuck. Just couldn’t imagine dropping 100 on Vans tho....

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 07:06:35 AM »
the spvs were probably the worst vans shoe i ever skated, next to a defect pair of stage fours
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 07:21:44 AM »
I dunno. I love the classics but my ankles do not as much. I can do half cabs, but eras kill my feet. Haven't worn old skools in about 7 years so I'm not sure. I kind of do like the Ave Pro. I have been pondering wearing Vans again after I run out of adidas. I wish the pro shoes had a bit of variety on look though. I feel (and this is just me skimming the site) that a lot look the same, generally speaking.

Are the AVE worth it? Can't imagine paying 100 bucks for Vans, just based on how much I've torn Vans up in my life.

I like the Rowleys, TNT, and Rowan. I am 100% not a fan of those toecaps , like on Berle shoe. Reminds me of ex-girlfriends Skechers n shit.

Most Vans look alike and it’s because of their simplistic design and iconic jazz stripe. The difference is the constructions and building a shoe that skates different from the other. They’re also not calling it in by slapping all the builds on a construction (ex. Throwing a sk8-hi on a wafflecup or waffle control). They’re mostly building a shoe for the rider or trying to made a different shoe. They feel different and it kinda comes down to how tech the shoe you want. Like the Walker and Ave are on the the hide side and then you have the Rowan which is a Vulc and the Berle which is lower to the ground (a pebble magnet) but, a cup sole, and it includes a sock like fit.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »
To everyone wondering about the AVE Pros, I bought a pair and absolutely love them. I only skate cupsole and these are definitely some of the best cupsole I’ve skated in a while and all of the tech they put into the upper seems to be holding up good for me. Granted, I don’t go through shoes very fast, but some people have shared their experiences in the other shoe threads and they seem to align with mine.

In my opinion, they’re worth it. Especially if you can order from a local shop right now. 

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 07:35:36 AM »
It’s funny how the Rowan looks like Rowan took the time to come up with a shoe with the design team while the Berle looks like the design department came up with something and gave it to him.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 07:38:57 AM »
It’s funny how the Rowan looks like Rowan took the time to come up with a shoe with the design team while the Berle looks like the design department came up with something and gave it to him.
I was thinking the opposite - Berle has a unique sole design. Rowan's shoe has the same thing as team models but they're pretending its new tech by changing the name to pop cush and claiming a new rubber formula (which if it were different/better, they'd use it on all the models, not just his.)

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 07:43:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I was thinking the opposite - Berle has a unique sole design. Rowan's shoe has the same thing as team models but they're pretending its new tech by changing the name to pop cush and claiming a new rubber formula (which if it were different/better, they'd use it on all the models, not just his.)
I see what you’re saying but I feel like the sole design was more Vans coming up with it than Elijah. He seems to just skate the authentics now that the promotion for his shoe died down. The Rowan even though the sole is the same looks like a Half Cab with the TNT SG mixed into it. That’s something Rowan said himself in interviews.

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 07:59:20 AM »

but you pay 90 for a Nike SB Blazer, 90-100 for some CTAs Pro or 100 for a Busenitz Pro

I noticed this visiting Germany, I always wear Vans, but they're the most expensive of all the skate shoes over there, I'd probably be tempted to skate in Blazer GTs instead.

In the UK you're looking at £55 - £70 for Vans Pro line, then Nike & Adidas are, for the most part, £70 upward.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 08:23:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Berle shoe actually looks like there was some thought put into it, (shit thoughts nonetheless), but at least they tried something there. Didn’t work like they expected tho and for sure Berle doesn’t seem too stoked on it (I wouldn’t be)
Rowans shoe is run-of-the-mill Vans design. The only thing that separates that shoe from being a team model is the name on the tongue and the extra $$$ you pay for that. Rowan seems to enjoy the shoe so at least that.

To the OP, why do you want a Rowley solo when you have a Era pro, it’s 90% the same shoe. Also, you have stuff like the Chima pro in that SPV vein.
https://www.vans.com/shop/mens-shoes-skate/chima-ferguson-pro-black-true-white#pr-container

I think it’s actually cool that Vans has a quite wide spectrum of offering for skaters, from techy (ave pro, ultrarange pro) to low tech (Chima pro, authentic pro)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 08:46:38 AM »
Picked up the suede AA authentic hi’s, and they are comfy as fuck. I haven’t skated them yet but they seem like they would be durable. It’s been awhile since I’ve skated Vans and those AVEs look sick as fuck. Just couldn’t imagine dropping 100 on Vans tho....
which color? Pic? Is the collar padded at all

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 08:50:42 AM »
Popcush is a revised version of ultracush so that is new tech.
Stick sole or whatever is probably mostly marketing, yes.

Feel like the Rowan’s have enough to seperate it from the old skool/era pro lineup. The foxing is different and at a diff height. The suede is better. The collar holds you in better with better liner material.

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9958
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 08:57:16 AM »
The waffle-cup sole is damn good, hope they continue to use it. Anyone know if they will be doing more color-ways of the Rowley rapid-weld? It's a great shoe.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 09:44:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
which color? Pic? Is the collar padded at all

I have the blue canvas. It’s not padded, it is a bit stiff and the popcush feels nicer
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 09:46:49 AM »
Idc about this thread but I need to say that Berle pros are the biggest piece of shit in the last years.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »
rowley spv sucked

rowley squares sucked more
good come sausage

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 09:54:14 AM »
rowley spv sucked

rowley squares sucked more
SPV were socks with laces, they actually looked like a ballerina dancing shoe.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 10:36:56 AM »
Never knew how people skated in Van's and chucks. Shits like being barefoot

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »
AVE is too damn high
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2020, 12:58:38 PM »
How many of these are cupsole. Did not know that about the AVE. I'd pay higher for cupsole, but any vulcanized shit i'm paying 65 max brah

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2020, 01:07:04 PM »
Have you noticed how Vans old schools are the shoe of choice for 14-year-old girls around the world, and have been for years? When the inevitable backlash to that finally comes (the next cool thing is always somewhat opposite of the last cool thing) Vans shoes will be about as popular as they were in the late 90s, unless they can create momentum around something else. So Vans isn't pushing the classics and they don't really need to push those since they're selling like crazy.