Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 120651 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #540 on: June 07, 2021, 10:47:08 PM »
I put something up already in this thread, but I now have two pairs of the new SKATE shoes, one each in Old Skool and Sk8 low and they are both by far a stronger, more supported, grippier and stiffer version of anything I have ever had from Vans, which going forward is the way of the future, even if a lot of people are unhappy with the feel of the new ones.

My options are limited to full sizes here in AU (no half sizes and I fit 11.5 best) so I went with the bigger 12 rather than 11 and they are very comfortable right away, no blisters or unwanted rubbing issues, but I am yet to really do much more than wearing them for a full day each and having a bit of a skate in both of them.

That said, I prefer tighter shoes to skate in, but going up half a size might help some others who have big issues with the fit of the new ones.

They are definitely not the soft thin moccasin type of shoes that the pro turned out to be, that's for sure.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ClayH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
« Reply #541 on: June 07, 2021, 10:57:05 PM »
Expand Quote
I just started skating a pair of the new Skate Sports and I’m digging the hell out of them so far. The shape is very blazer-like and fits my narrow foot really well. It’s stiff, but not in a bad way. It just feels like it’s gonna hold its shape for a while.

Coming off of the Rowans I was skating before this, sickstick or whatever the new outsole is is really a game changer. It wears super slow but it’s crazy grippy. Looks basically untouched after two heavy sessions. Haven’t even made a mark on the suede.

As a lace ripper, bottom laces holding up pretty good with a dab of super glue, but the top eyelet is gonna have to be left unlaced for me. Even laced down, they still hold my heel great.

Only gripe is I’m not sold on popcush. It just feels kind of hard and I don’t like the way it feels on the bottom of my foot. Maybe something about the material on top of it? Not sure. To be fair, I wasn’t really sold on the old insoles either though.

I’m digging them overall. As time goes on, if I can find last season’s colorways in the outlet half off like I could with the old skate pros, this will probably become my go-to shoe.
[close]

How do you think someone with a borderline wide foot would fare? I was looking at some on 6pm. For reference, I have some SB Blazer Mids that fit fairly well, but they (as do a lot of shoes) pinch my left pinky toe to numbness if I skate for more than a half hour.
to me, they’re a little wider in the toe box than blazer lows but not as wide as blazer mids. Like I said, I’ve got a stupid narrow foot, so I don’t really have much to go off of in that regard. If you can get into a store to try them on, that’s ultimately the best bet, though not as fun as late night impulse buys.

Which, speaking of, I just copped another pair of these in that nice cream/ blue color way for 40 bucks shipped on 6pm because I’m digging em. Not having to think about my shoes is ultimately the goal and these get me there so far.

pops

• Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #542 on: June 08, 2021, 04:01:54 AM »
Just mash the shit out of those if they feel stiff. I did and my slip ons feel perfect now. Pros were bs.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #543 on: June 08, 2021, 05:27:38 AM »
though not as fun as late night impulse buys.

Lmao, I hear that. Most of my purchases are after midnight when I can barely keep my eyes open

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #544 on: June 08, 2021, 02:13:59 PM »
Are the regular (no pro, no skate) Half Cabs discontinued? Can’t find nothing but those new SKATE ones and some random pro classics at least here in Europe.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 112
« Reply #545 on: June 08, 2021, 02:50:31 PM »
Are the regular (no pro, no skate) Half Cabs discontinued? Can’t find nothing but those new SKATE ones and some random pro classics at least here in Europe.

I was going to say the classics are still available in the US as far as I know but they're no longer on the US Vans site and looks like they're out of a lot of sizes where they used to be readily available (zappos, skatewarehouse, tactics, ccs, etc.). 

That would suck because I prefer the Classics over the Pros.  (Haven't seen/skated the new Skate versions in real life but am not keeping my hopes up based on the reviews I've read so far.) 

Sorry, no clue about Europe but hopefully another Pal can drop some knowledge.   
Enjoy your life.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #546 on: June 08, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was going to say the classics are still available in the US as far as I know but they're no longer on the US Vans site and looks like they're out of a lot of sizes where they used to be readily available (zappos, skatewarehouse, tactics, ccs, etc.). 

That would suck because I prefer the Classics over the Pros.  (Haven't seen/skated the new Skate versions in real life but am not keeping my hopes up based on the reviews I've read so far.) 

Same in Australia, the classic Half Cabs come in, they sit, they go on sale, they clear out, then they come in again next season at a higher price again, which is weird as they are the same standard lines they have always been, even with a few tweaks along the way, so who knows what is going on with them.

Just checked again on vans.com.au and the black / white classics are at about 20% off and the navy / white classics are 50% off.

Even the new Skate Half Cabs in black / white are already 20% off too, which is ridiculous, but who knows in the Half Cab market.

onkalo

« Reply #547 on: June 09, 2021, 04:48:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same in Australia, the classic Half Cabs come in, they sit, they go on sale, they clear out, then they come in again next season at a higher price again, which is weird as they are the same standard lines they have always been, even with a few tweaks along the way, so who knows what is going on with them.

Just checked again on vans.com.au and the black / white classics are at about 20% off and the navy / white classics are 50% off.

Even the new Skate Half Cabs in black / white are already 20% off too, which is ridiculous, but who knows in the Half Cab market.
Yeah haven’t seen regular half cabs here like since 2018. What a bummer, like those way better than the pros/skate...

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #548 on: June 09, 2021, 06:22:06 AM »
My local surf shop has OG half caps, yall want me to pick some up? only half joking, I can see what the price would be w shipping
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #549 on: June 09, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »
Anyone have experience with the Crockett High Pro? I normally skate the Sk8-Hi and they look pretty similar besides being cup sole vs vulcanized.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #550 on: June 09, 2021, 09:51:25 AM »
Anyone have experience with the Crockett High Pro? I normally skate the Sk8-Hi and they look pretty similar besides being cup sole vs vulcanized.
I've had both the sk8 hi pros and the crockett highs and besides being high top vans, they couldn't be more different. The crocketts were way more comfy for me since it doesn't have the stitching at the forefoot like the sk8 highs. Obviously the waffle cup makes the crocketts more supportive and the board feel is good for a cup hybrid after breaking it in. the shape is also more fluid like a gradual arrow on the crocketts when compared to the skate his which to me have a more abrupt toe shape where the stitching is.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #551 on: June 09, 2021, 10:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've had both the sk8 hi pros and the crockett highs and besides being high top vans, they couldn't be more different. The crocketts were way more comfy for me since it doesn't have the stitching at the forefoot like the sk8 highs. Obviously the waffle cup makes the crocketts more supportive and the board feel is good for a cup hybrid after breaking it in. the shape is also more fluid like a gradual arrow on the crocketts when compared to the skate his which to me have a more abrupt toe shape where the stitching is.

Wow, thanks for the in depth review. I just picked up a pair of Crockett High on 6pm.com for $41 so I'll get to try them out.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: June 10, 2021, 07:35:23 PM »
Almost thought I was going a bit nuts for a second, then realised there were two threads for Vans shoes, this one and the other one:

VANS PRO CLASSICS LINE TO BE REPLACED BY VANS SKATE CLASSIC LINE

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115285.150

I guess what is more crazy is how many new styles are already being discounted on the vans.com.au website (AU - Australia) but some shops have barely even had their Vans drop a minute and are still at full price, which is a bit of a stretch, but a lot of their customers would not know about the specials or want to buy in store only.

onkalo

« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2021, 04:40:32 PM »
Currently skating skate old skools and by far hating them with every cell of my body. Feel way too stiff and there is too much rubber on the toe area of the shoes. Maybe they will break in some day... been skating them for like 5 sessions (over 2h each).

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #554 on: June 11, 2021, 06:14:18 PM »
Currently skating skate old skools and by far hating them with every cell of my body. Feel way too stiff and there is too much rubber on the toe area of the shoes. Maybe they will break in some day... been skating them for like 5 sessions (over 2h each).

Damn, as a Sk8-hi guy I was looking at the old skools as a secondary shoe. I noticed with the newer Vans that I have to wear thinner socks or go up a half size in the case of slip ons.

I just got a pair of the Grosso Mids, they look and feel sick but they're either a tiny bit more snug or my feet are swollen from skating yesterday  :(

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #555 on: June 11, 2021, 06:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, as a Sk8-hi guy I was looking at the old skools as a secondary shoe. I noticed with the newer Vans that I have to wear thinner socks or go up a half size in the case of slip ons.

I just got a pair of the Grosso Mids, they look and feel sick but they're either a tiny bit more snug or my feet are swollen from skating yesterday  :(

I would be thinking they are a tiny bit more snug.

Try some old insoles in them at first if you have any, as that has helped with a lot of newer shoes that are too tight to start with, even the almost blown out old insoles will give a much better break in with those shoes than trying to just make them work.

Then when the shoe is well worn put the new insoles back in and it will feel like you have a newer pair of shoes.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #556 on: June 11, 2021, 07:57:41 PM »

I ended up putting in used laces from sk8-his since they're a little bit longer, makes tying them easier

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #557 on: June 11, 2021, 11:34:35 PM »
I skated in the skate era's for the first time yesterday I really like them unfortunately
About an hour or so in I was starting to get a pretty nasty blister on back of my heel
I assume that's normal for those of you dedicated to vans.

Besides that first impressions insoles and sole are more to my liking than the pro's

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #558 on: June 12, 2021, 03:40:47 AM »
I skated in the skate era's for the first time yesterday I really like them unfortunately
About an hour or so in I was starting to get a pretty nasty blister on back of my heel
I assume that's normal for those of you dedicated to vans.

Besides that first impressions insoles and sole are more to my liking than the pro's

Some Vans shoes give blisters more than others, which is a bit weird, as most of them should have a pretty similar heel area.

The one thing I did notice is if I don't have the shoes done up super tight at first, I am more prone to get blisters, so the first wear for me is very tentative and tight as can be laces, so if I feel like something is rubbing, I will check or take them off, or even try thicker socks at first.

I think only two styles I had solid issues with, so I don't wear those shoes any more - passed them on to others - and try to stick to shoes I know work for me.

Right now I am loving the Sk8 low shoes, (which are also on a ridiculous clearance deal from a few places) but I found they are low enough to not dig into my haggard old and previously broken ankles but have enough protection in the ollie area and wide enough in the toes to not crush them in the way Authentics and Eras do in the same low profile shoes.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #559 on: June 12, 2021, 06:57:38 AM »
Im currently on my last pair of half cab pros and they're getting pretty roached. I want to order a pair of the skate half cabs and the skate sk8 highs but the fact that they decided to call them skate sk8 highs is making it really hard lol. May say fuck it and try out some emericas idk.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #560 on: June 12, 2021, 07:14:38 AM »
Im currently on my last pair of half cab pros and they're getting pretty roached. I want to order a pair of the skate half cabs and the skate sk8 highs but the fact that they decided to call them skate sk8 highs is making it really hard lol. May say fuck it and try out some emericas idk.

Lmao its just a shoe name  ::)

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #561 on: June 12, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »
Got some Skate Eras on the way, Vans Australia has them at about 50% off, nearly all the skate  range actually.  Haven't seen anyone with the eras yet, so will report back when I get em.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #562 on: June 13, 2021, 07:15:24 AM »
I can't understand how people can skate shoes that gave them blister or bloody feet. Tried skate old skools and they were bad, tried slip ons and they were a fucking nightmare.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: June 13, 2021, 07:56:34 AM »
I can't understand how people can skate shoes that gave them blister or bloody feet. Tried skate old skools and they were bad, tried slip ons and they were a fucking nightmare.

I get it, but I also feel like I took a while and learned the hard way that just because I might like the look of a shoe, that shoe might not fit my foot, which was to say quite a few brands in general, or some very specific shoes from certain brands are a complete no go for me, where as others are perfect.

I think the size of the shoe was also an issue, as I probably should have been wearing size 12s (or at least 11.5s) in some styles for a lot longer than I had been and was still trying to squeeze into 11s because that is all we had access to.

Me and my stupid stubborn self the only one to blame in my younger years and my body is paying for it now, to some degree.

I definitely feel like Classics that I give the DIY pro treatment to work the best for me though.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #564 on: June 13, 2021, 09:25:42 AM »
anyone know if the new lifestyle shoe (EVDNT) means the AVE pros are discontinued or it means there will be more AVE pros?
I would say to to both of your questions. They already had those mod slip ons (which looked interesting and) and life didn't changed.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: June 13, 2021, 07:30:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anyone know if the new lifestyle shoe (EVDNT) means the AVE pros are discontinued or it means there will be more AVE pros?
[close]
I would say to to both of your questions. They already had those mod slip ons (which looked interesting and) and life didn't changed.
[close]

I just wonder if I should stock up. a lot of color way aren't around and my local shops (and vans mall shops) dont have them anymore.

I think the AVE shoe is one to stay as they do sell a ton of them.

Also had to look up the EVDNT (which kept changing to event) which looks more like a cool mainstream version of the AVE shoe, but as said it is a "lifestyle shoe" so will most likely be in more sporting type shops than skate shops.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #566 on: June 13, 2021, 10:10:44 PM »
Not sure if anyone caught this or if they will even remain in the line but I noticed that the new Chukka Lows with the jazz stripe are much closer constructionwise to the Pros than the Skates. I haven't tried them on so maybe there's a stiff plastic under shell in them but the ad copy suggests otherwise. They have the old gum sole for sure but then use Popcush insoles. Just wanted to put it out there for those really not feeling the Skate revisions.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

2pushSetUp

• Rep: 4
« Reply #567 on: June 13, 2021, 11:55:50 PM »
Still feeling like I get the best out of vans using the torn out insole from a non skate pair.

My have wide feet and high arches so the fit is much nicer lower in the shoe. I’m not jumping down anything past a 5 set at my age so I don’t need any impact protection.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2021, 07:12:24 PM »
I got a pair of the off white Eras for half price and a pair of the authentics for 75% off.  Got them in an 11, which is all I ever buy (sometimes a 10..) but had to go up to a 12 in these, which feel a tad big now, but better than the 11s which were super tight. 

Compared to my Pro Half Cabs, they feel stiff as heck, but that's not a bad thing.  The Cabs are great for chillers, but were kinda messing my knees up a tad when skating them.  Great for comfort and shock absorbtion though.  The soles definitely feel thicker and stiffer.

These feel more like skating classic old vans from a support stand, which is surprising but I imagine they'll soften up.  The Authentics feel immediately way more comfortable as the little padding in the Eras stiffens them up a bit and pushes into my ankle. 

They look shit hot though, off white Eras are my all time favs, and the suede toe is a good bonus.

onkalo

« Reply #569 on: June 28, 2021, 02:54:18 AM »
Finally after about 3 weeks my skate old skools feel the way I like my shoes, been skating like every not rainy day. I think the skate-line might be the most durable vans, at the moment I have about the same amount of rubber in toe area as regular old skools. Seems impossible for me to get a hole on the kickflip area, ollie hole alvays appears but there’s the rubber thing under the canvas so that’s not a problem really. Been thinking of buying the skate half cabs, even though the break in time in the skate-line is a little too much for me...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:50:11 PM by onkalo »