Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 115730 times)

jdholmes and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #840 on: January 10, 2023, 05:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Possible hot take here:

I think the waffle cup toe/front area of the sole is not as durable as the skate line vulcs. Crocketts and Kwalks have noticeably less rubber than the vulcs to wear away. Plus they feel softer/more pliable then Sk8 Hi or Half Cab.
They also feel softer in the front of the shoe compared to the vulcs. Waffle cup is supposed to be support meets boardfeel but it's just more boardfeel on a "cup " sole... Pretty much a "glorified" vulc.

Wafflecup feels less durable and supportive compared to Skate vulcs. That's my hot take

They do skate well if you like how they fit/feel on a board, tho!

I nearly  blew through a pair of Kwalks rubber on the toe in 1 week a couple years ago when filming/skating regularly.
That was a first and the current Skate line Half Cabs definitely don't do that. Crockett could do that but haven't skated them in awhile. Come to think of it, nearly all of my shoes in 16.5 years of skating have not done that.
[close]

Vans vulcs would be perfect if not for that foxing tape peeling off of the waffle sole problem that is so common. This can happen even in ones I don’t skate in. If they fixed that, I’d have no complaints really.

it's usually considered a defect and it should get you a new pair for free

I just did a return request today for a customer and it went straight to refund for me and a fresh pair for my customer. Customer can keep the defective shoe (VANS don't ask you to return defective product) and try some superglue tinkering.

I know it would be better without this flaw but at least they know it's a flaw and act accordingly
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:36:00 AM by BALARGUE »

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #841 on: January 10, 2023, 06:01:40 AM »
vans needs to bring back the 112 pro. That shoe should have never been discontinued. The end.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #842 on: January 10, 2023, 08:11:06 AM »
vans needs to bring back the 112 pro. That shoe should have never been discontinued. The end.
the 112 pro was a solid shoe. the canvas model was pretty darn tough. although, if it was still on the shelves today, i would prefer to skate in halfcabs for the classic look or the rowan pros if i'm skating vans vulcs #teamcrocketthigh

i assume people aren't really into rubber toe caps anymore and if they are, cons and clearweather fill that void
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:58:14 AM by notinternetfamous »

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #843 on: January 10, 2023, 06:39:29 PM »
@JK42 the authentic high is perfect
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #844 on: January 10, 2023, 08:10:10 PM »
For me personally, if i venture away from Vans i soon come back. They arent the best shoes, but as an old git bowl troll with the odd slappy, they are a known quantity. I have tried Numeric, Adidas, Etnies, Emerica, i even tried some Last Resorts, all great shoes but cant help feeling i look like mutton dressed as lamb.

If anyone from Vans is listening (as that nice fellow @rothdigga does on the new balance thread) then please could you consider reducing the height of popcush insoles so feet feel lower in the shoe,  abandon duracap as it makes the shoes feel a bit plasticy, and up your natural suede quality instead. Be nice to make some canvas eras with a rubber ollie patch on the outside, and finally realise that you have a classic shoe in the making and turn the hightop canvas authentics into a regular shoe run, not just an Andrew Allen one off.

Just a thought. Thanks

Nearly 40, skating mostly ledges & flat ground

Keep the DuraCap 1000%, makes the shoe feel solid

The rest of the sentiment is moderately accurate.

Shoulda kept the original Chima Pro in the lineup, was a perfect shoe that the idiots running Vans decided to discontinue.

JK42

• Rep: 20
« Reply #845 on: January 13, 2023, 02:53:58 AM »
Just picked up some Grosso Mids because Jeff is a legend and they look great. Nice shoe but they have the Ultracush 3D insole in them? Its like i have gone back to 2018, and getting plantar fasciitis flashbacks from the TNTs! Did they have a few boxes of old 3Ds lying around and thought “these will do, the oldies won’t notice”. The listings on vans websites all say Popcush as well. Hey Vans!!! What is this shenanigans!?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #846 on: January 13, 2023, 02:56:29 AM »
Just picked up some Grosso Mids because Jeff is a legend and they look great. Nice shoe but they have the Ultracush 3D insole in them? Its like i have gone back to 2018, and getting plantar fasciitis flashbacks from the TNTs! Did they have a few boxes of old 3Ds lying around and thought “these will do, the oldies won’t notice”. The listings on vans websites all say Popcush as well. Hey Vans!!! What is this shenanigans!?
I've only ever seen the Grosso mids with the 3D whatever insole in them. I think that's meant to be their main point of difference between the Sk8 hi (apart from the height difference of course)

JK42

« Reply #847 on: January 13, 2023, 03:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've only ever seen the Grosso mids with the 3D whatever insole in them. I think that's meant to be their main point of difference between the Sk8 hi (apart from the height difference of course)
This may be very true, but online (both Vans and other sellers) it lists as popcush, with the whole Popcush is awesome graphic and splash. So the Grosso Highs are Popcush?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #848 on: January 13, 2023, 03:30:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
This may be very true, but online (both Vans and other sellers) it lists as popcush, with the whole Popcush is awesome graphic and splash. So the Grosso Highs are Popcush?
Hmm unless it varies colorway to colorway I think the Grosso label always has the ultra 3D insole and the skate (little checker flag) Sk8 hi has the popcush.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW6Kq0wpYT-/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZkcekVv4xe/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #849 on: January 13, 2023, 04:38:41 AM »
That Grosso insole is ubershit.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #850 on: January 13, 2023, 04:52:55 AM »
That Grosso insole is ubershit.

maybe, but it was grosso's preferred insole so i can see why vans keeps using it for these colorways
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #851 on: January 13, 2023, 05:02:21 AM »
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #852 on: January 14, 2023, 03:40:58 AM »

I think everything has been covered - from what I have seen all Grosso Mid shoes have the 3D insole - for which most of the people who have them either don't notice or have thought they worked well for them.  Personally they are a little too stiff for me, but I change out the insoles for others anyway.

As to what is on websites, I have long thought what I read on some of the listings is from someone copy and pasting general information or some marketing crap that is either misguided or completely incorrect, in some cases.

Vans websites are no different, but I guess the intimate knowledge of which shoe has which insole options can really only be learned by being around the shoes, trying them on, or at the very least pulling up the insole to see which one is being used in which shoes, whenever a new style comes into a shop.

Eg the Chukka Low (both versions - no side stripe and side stripe) have the old Rowley preferred insoles, which are more the flat foam versions, thinner than any popcush or ultracush, but work well, especially with another flat foam insole under them for me.

A few other shoes also had the 3D insole, including the Chima shoe, which has been discontinued, or the TNT Advanced Prototype shoe, as mentioned.

The Skate versions (checkered tag) all have quite a few upgraded features including a thicker gum sole with a thinner insole, when compared to previous versions.

I guess the unfortunate thing here is if someone prefers a certain insole, but gets something different depending on which shoe they buy, there is no swap options, but I do find my insoles last multiple pairs of shoes, so I can recycle insoles from older shoes, especially for new shoes, but then when shoes are a lot thinner and well worn, using the new insoles helps to give shoes another lease on life, so to speak.

If you alternate between Sk8 Mids and something else, you could give this a go, or just not use the 3D insoles at all.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JK42

« Reply #853 on: January 14, 2023, 05:53:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think everything has been covered - from what I have seen all Grosso Mid shoes have the 3D insole - for which most of the people who have them either don't notice or have thought they worked well for them.  Personally they are a little too stiff for me, but I change out the insoles for others anyway.

As to what is on websites, I have long thought what I read on some of the listings is from someone copy and pasting general information or some marketing crap that is either misguided or completely incorrect, in some cases.

Vans websites are no different, but I guess the intimate knowledge of which shoe has which insole options can really only be learned by being around the shoes, trying them on, or at the very least pulling up the insole to see which one is being used in which shoes, whenever a new style comes into a shop.

Eg the Chukka Low (both versions - no side stripe and side stripe) have the old Rowley preferred insoles, which are more the flat foam versions, thinner than any popcush or ultracush, but work well, especially with another flat foam insole under them for me.

A few other shoes also had the 3D insole, including the Chima shoe, which has been discontinued, or the TNT Advanced Prototype shoe, as mentioned.

The Skate versions (checkered tag) all have quite a few upgraded features including a thicker gum sole with a thinner insole, when compared to previous versions.

I guess the unfortunate thing here is if someone prefers a certain insole, but gets something different depending on which shoe they buy, there is no swap options, but I do find my insoles last multiple pairs of shoes, so I can recycle insoles from older shoes, especially for new shoes, but then when shoes are a lot thinner and well worn, using the new insoles helps to give shoes another lease on life, so to speak.

If you alternate between Sk8 Mids and something else, you could give this a go, or just not use the 3D insoles at all.

Thats really interesting and appreciate the knowledge.  I assumed they were just replacing everything with popcush as a general upgrade. Both the seller and Vans HQ were cool about it, and i have traded for some Grosso Hi’s which apparently do have popcush insole, at least the photos say as much. It would be cool if a Vans rep could join the thread and cover some of this. You would think in these days of all brands wanting to nuture the direct to consumer relationship they are missing a trick.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #854 on: January 14, 2023, 06:23:02 PM »
I think someone answered a while back. But, the 3D insole was Jeff’s favorite insoles. That’s why they kept them for his pro model.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #855 on: January 28, 2023, 11:20:24 AM »
Pedro Delfino posted the new MCs

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #856 on: February 02, 2023, 06:20:21 AM »
anyone grab the alltimers vans?  thoughts/impressions?

used mattress

• Rep: 4
« Reply #857 on: February 02, 2023, 09:55:16 AM »
The latest Vans have increased in price.
The new skate chukka’s are $95 🙁

dumptruck12

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #858 on: February 02, 2023, 10:08:10 AM »
The latest Vans have increased in price.
The new skate chukka’s are $95 🙁
Makes me not wanna get vans anymore
Sk8 HI’s are $95? I remember growing up and paying $50 for them. I get it’s a tough time but we all know how flimsy vans are, not worth the money if you ask me

thehogsniper

• Rep: 55
« Reply #859 on: February 02, 2023, 12:47:34 PM »
From what I've heard Vans as a whole is having issues. I honestly don't understand how they expect to put their shoes at that price point and sell, when the market is littered with better vulcs at the same price. Why buy an SK8-Hi when you can buy a blazer for less? Or even a tyshawn for half the price on sale?

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #860 on: February 02, 2023, 02:18:12 PM »
The recent skate sk8 his i got have already started to fall apart after skating them like 8 times....mind you i dont do any flip tricks really. The side panel stitching came out, making the side of the shoe sit all weird. The sole is already coming apart from the vulc or whatever. Im starting to be over them as well. Especially with the price increase. Everytime i buy a pair of blazers, they end up lasting longer than i need them to with no issues.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #861 on: February 02, 2023, 02:39:11 PM »
I think someone answered a while back. But, the 3D insole was Jeff’s favorite insoles. That’s why they kept them for his pro model.

I think he can appropriately honored w/o foisting a bad insole on people

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #862 on: February 02, 2023, 03:08:10 PM »
The recent skate sk8 his i got have already started to fall apart after skating them like 8 times....mind you i dont do any flip tricks really. The side panel stitching came out, making the side of the shoe sit all weird. The sole is already coming apart from the vulc or whatever. Im starting to be over them as well. Especially with the price increase. Everytime i buy a pair of blazers, they end up lasting longer than i need them to with no issues.

Are they within warranty, or have they been sitting for a while before wearing / skating?

I ask because they are pretty good with fixing that sort of thing and I have had a few pairs warrantied without problems when there has been an issue with the shoes - same as the first post on this page, BALARGUE put one in and all good.

I know for some situations or some people it is not worth the bother, even I first thought I would just leave the ones I had, but sure enough, I put in the request and was surprised how quickly they gave me a full refund on them.

Just a thought anyway.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #863 on: February 02, 2023, 03:34:40 PM »
From what I've heard Vans as a whole is having issues. I honestly don't understand how they expect to put their shoes at that price point and sell, when the market is littered with better vulcs at the same price. Why buy an SK8-Hi when you can buy a blazer for less? Or even a tyshawn for half the price on sale?
I put a ollie hole in the side of nike sb blazers after a few sessions. This has not happened with the skate sk8 his I've had well over a year.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 103
« Reply #864 on: February 02, 2023, 06:46:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are they within warranty, or have they been sitting for a while before wearing / skating?

I ask because they are pretty good with fixing that sort of thing and I have had a few pairs warrantied without problems when there has been an issue with the shoes - same as the first post on this page, BALARGUE put one in and all good.

I know for some situations or some people it is not worth the bother, even I first thought I would just leave the ones I had, but sure enough, I put in the request and was surprised how quickly they gave me a full refund on them.

Just a thought anyway.

They’d have to fix the vast majority of the pairs they sell at this point. The waffle sole separating from the foxing tape is a highly pervasive issue even in pairs that never get skated.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: February 02, 2023, 08:07:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just a thought anyway.
[close]

They’d have to fix the vast majority of the pairs they sell at this point. The waffle sole separating from the foxing tape is a highly pervasive issue even in pairs that never get skated.

Re quality issues:

I get it that people have issues with them and in no way am I anything other than a customer who skates only Vans, as well as someone who buys a lot of them to pass on to others, but the overall percentage of shoes with defects that can be returned for warranty is not that high.

Of maybe a hundred pairs I have had, sold, skated or passed on to others over the last year, I think only a few would have been covered under warranty (including the pair I got a refund on), given the usual timeframe and life of the shoe, as most have stayed intact for the "average life" of the shoe, only coming apart more so after the tread has worn down or the shoe has been skated well beyond what would be considered "still within warranty period" timeframe.

Same as "lifetime guarantee" on Indy trucks, as it is not a human lifetime, but the average life of the product, so if the truck is down to axle or past 30 days and looking thrashed, there is not a warranty on the item, but if they are still fairly new looking and within a reasonable time frame, then there is usually a successful warranty claim.

The "PRO" range of shoes did seem to have a lot more issues with the sole separating from the foxing or other issues, but it seemed like the Classics and Skate ranges have way fewer dramas.

On the other topic of price:

Given the price of shoes going up and up and up, I can't even remember the last time I bought shoes at full or normal RRP, usually waiting on sales, either % off sales, or specific clearance items and stocking up, but if I had to be buying shoes after going through them so quickly, I would definitely have issues with how much the prices have gone up recently.

I know some people who can destroy a pair of shoes within a week or so, no matter what shoe it is, but there are others who make shoes last almost a year or so.  For some of those people, if they can afford all their own gear, no worries, but if they can't, they better hope that someone hooks them up or they find a whole lot of clearance / cheap stock, otherwise they might struggle to skate a lot if their supply runs out.

klobynrenn

• Rep: 6
« Reply #866 on: February 14, 2023, 03:50:00 AM »
Anybody got their hands on the Vans Mike Carroll reissues yet and can attest to how they fit compared to half cabs? And what’s the height like on em compared to a half cab?

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #867 on: February 14, 2023, 06:17:45 AM »
anyone grab the alltimers vans?  thoughts/impressions?

still curious if anyones handled/skated these

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #868 on: February 19, 2023, 05:56:38 PM »
Has anyone heard any rumors of the Low Cab coming back? Half Cab is obviously selling stronger than ever. I only like low top shoes. A Low Cab would be rad. Seems like a good time to put something out like that

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #869 on: February 19, 2023, 08:06:16 PM »
Has anyone heard any rumors of the Low Cab coming back? Half Cab is obviously selling stronger than ever. I only like low top shoes. A Low Cab would be rad. Seems like a good time to put something out like that

The Scott Kane ones