Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 115805 times)

WideFeet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #870 on: February 19, 2023, 08:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone heard any rumors of the Low Cab coming back? Half Cab is obviously selling stronger than ever. I only like low top shoes. A Low Cab would be rad. Seems like a good time to put something out like that
[close]

The Scott Kane ones

That was a long time ago though. I’m wondering about one coming out in the future, or maybe rumors of it coming back?

I’m guessing not because I don’t see anyone talking about it….

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #871 on: February 20, 2023, 05:22:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone heard any rumors of the Low Cab coming back? Half Cab is obviously selling stronger than ever. I only like low top shoes. A Low Cab would be rad. Seems like a good time to put something out like that
[close]

The Scott Kane ones
[close]

That was a long time ago though. I’m wondering about one coming out in the future, or maybe rumors of it coming back?

Isn't the rowan basically a low cab?
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #872 on: February 20, 2023, 02:34:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The Scott Kane ones
[close]

[close]

Funny you say that.

Yes they do look very similar, but the Rowan is still a bit taller, almost like a Half Cab but maybe in between.

The vintage pair of Lo Cab shoes I have are falling apart, sole coming away from the upper, which often happens in old shoes, but to put them side by side with the pair of Rowans I have, they do have a lot in common.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #873 on: February 21, 2023, 06:56:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The Scott Kane ones
[close]

[close]

I think the bearcat or something like that was a more direct inspo

Shredroe

• Rep: -3
« Reply #874 on: February 21, 2023, 07:05:17 AM »
Yet another winterized half cab version is coming

Jesus wept fuck.

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #875 on: March 03, 2023, 06:54:04 AM »
Has anyone measured the thickness of a Popcush insole? Are they all the same from model to model?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #876 on: March 03, 2023, 04:10:34 PM »
Has anyone measured the thickness of a Popcush insole? Are they all the same from model to model?

The two things I have noticed - because they are curved they fit some people's feet way better from go which can be a good thing or a bad thing, as well as they compress a lot, so looking at a pair from new is very different to a well used pair, or at least the ones I have seen.

That is why I would say put your old ones in the new shoes, which will feel more comfortable right from go and then when the shoes are worn in or getting thin, put the new ones in which will give the shoes a bit more support until you are done with them.

As to which and what, there are at least three options out now:

Common purple pop cush insoles in most pro versions

3D in the Grosso versions - hard plastic rim round the heel area

Thin flat versions of the older material - most common in Chukka low and Rowley shoes that I have seen, maybe others.

If I can find pics, I will add later, but I got a few things to do right now.

blahblah999

« Reply #877 on: March 04, 2023, 05:46:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The two things I have noticed - because they are curved they fit some people's feet way better from go which can be a good thing or a bad thing, as well as they compress a lot, so looking at a pair from new is very different to a well used pair, or at least the ones I have seen.

That is why I would say put your old ones in the new shoes, which will feel more comfortable right from go and then when the shoes are worn in or getting thin, put the new ones in which will give the shoes a bit more support until you are done with them.

Thin flat versions of the older material - most common in Chukka low and Rowley shoes that I have seen, maybe others.

If you do manage to measure the thickness, please let me know. I have some Vans on the way to try and they were advertised as having the Popcush insole. I don't want to actually use the insole, I just want to know how much room it takes up in the shoe so I can figure out what type of aftermarket arch support will work best with the shoe (thickness is important here). I can't wear any skate shoe without arch support, so that's why I wanted to know. It may be that the shoes don't work for me fit wise and I end up having to return them anyway.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #878 on: March 04, 2023, 06:53:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you do manage to measure the thickness, please let me know. I have some Vans on the way to try and they were advertised as having the Popcush insole. I don't want to actually use the insole, I just want to know how much room it takes up in the shoe so I can figure out what type of aftermarket arch support will work best with the shoe (thickness is important here). I can't wear any skate shoe without arch support, so that's why I wanted to know. It may be that the shoes don't work for me fit wise and I end up having to return them anyway.

When I am in the shop next, I will check all three options.

For the meantime, this thread has some good info for anyone else wanting to read about the Pop cush insoles from a while back.

Thanks to  @yourbreakfsat  for that one:

Vans Popcuh vs Ultracush Insole Review

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=110828.0

I do have some of the most recent Skate version Old Skool and Sk8 low, so the insoles on those are as follows:

Front 5mm thick flat right through the first third of the insole

Back 10-11mm thick in the middle area of the heel, but significantly curved section up around the sides to almost 20mm at the edge of the heel area, slightly more on the inside through to the end third of the shoe.

What I end up doing with all my shoes is cutting out cardboard and either gluing it in or sitting it in depending on how thick I need to make it, but I create a significantly higher arch support area than is in any other shoe that is cheap to make and works well for me - just shape cardboard to fit, usually folded over so it needs less glue or work and often shaped to fit under whatever area is needed, be it just the inside edge, or the whole heel area too.

This was a post from a while ago now, so the Vans pro insole is different to the Skate insole, but at least you can see the cardboard I cut out for how I do it.

This other one too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMoe64wFXaB/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9S0MmCFxdv/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #879 on: March 04, 2023, 07:03:32 PM »

In looking for Vans insole info, I came across this one, a bit weird, but at least shows all the different insoles in the listing, some pics added from the listing under here too:

https://insolesgeeks.com/vans-pro-ultracush-comfycush-insoles-replacement-p-545

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #880 on: March 05, 2023, 01:49:40 AM »
The latest Vans have increased in price.
The new skate chukka’s are $95 🙁

Have checked the vans site again since a long time in hope to buy some overpriced skate chukkas - but just to find on the landing page the fucking Knu skool.

Pure disappointment.

Someone in Italy management position/ deciding portfolio for the euro market is really trying to piss me off.

blahblah999

« Reply #881 on: March 05, 2023, 07:28:03 AM »

What I end up doing with all my shoes is cutting out cardboard and either gluing it in or sitting it in depending on how thick I need to make it, but I create a significantly higher arch support area than is in any other shoe that is cheap to make and works well for me - just shape cardboard to fit, usually folded over so it needs less glue or work and often shaped to fit under whatever area is needed, be it just the inside edge, or the whole heel area too.

Interesting. If I were going to do that I wouldn't be using cardboard. I have some "archfill" material from the podiatrist. A small roll of high density felt and another one made of insole type foam. Both come with an adhesive backing and can be cut to any shape. The material can also be stacked. My podiatrist will check arches in his office and test fit any insoles that way. Then I can just copy what he does (according to the tested thickness) using the material if I need another pair of insoles done.

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #882 on: March 05, 2023, 02:12:47 PM »
Expand Quote
The latest Vans have increased in price.
The new skate chukka’s are $95 🙁
[close]

Have checked the vans site again since a long time in hope to buy some overpriced skate chukkas - but just to find on the landing page the fucking Knu skool.

Pure disappointment.

Someone in Italy management position/ deciding portfolio for the euro market is really trying to piss me off.

terrible name, terrible shoe.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #883 on: March 05, 2023, 03:52:58 PM »
Half cab pros with cons/lunarlon insoles fit perfect to me

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #884 on: March 05, 2023, 06:08:26 PM »
I tried on the new Vans Zahba's today and can confirm the toe box is pretty narrow. I compared it to what im currently skating in, NB 1010, and it was pretty obvious the 1010's are better quality/better fit. Wanted to try something new but oh well lol

blahblah999

« Reply #885 on: March 06, 2023, 08:27:06 AM »
I tried on the new Vans Zahba's today and can confirm the toe box is pretty narrow. I compared it to what im currently skating in, NB 1010, and it was pretty obvious the 1010's are better quality/better fit. Wanted to try something new but oh well lol

I have not tried that Vans model. They might not work for me either. For me, it's not just the width of the toebox that matters, but the volume of the toebox, forefoot, and instep area of the shoe. If those things are off, the shoe will not work for me.

I really wanted to like the NB 1010s and other NBs I tried, but they didn't work for me. Even going up half a size in the 1010 did not work. They did seem to be well made for a skate shoe. I wish they worked for me.

My experience with Vans over the years has not been all positive. That said I was surprised that I could get a pretty good fit with the BMX 114s recently. Not sure if I will keep them yet because I have more shoes to try and compare. For Vans, I am trying the MC 96 model next.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #886 on: March 06, 2023, 09:03:58 AM »

Is it as narrow as the Ultrarange skate shoes from years back? If so, fuhhhh, because I just ordered a pair.

As far as Vans, so far, the Crockett Highs, Kyle 1s, and Rowans feel/skate the best for me. 

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #887 on: March 06, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it as narrow as the Ultrarange skate shoes from years back? If so, fuhhhh, because I just ordered a pair.

As far as Vans, so far, the Crockett Highs, Kyle 1s, and Rowans feel/skate the best for me.

Haha I've skated in all of those shoes and they fit me fine while the Zahba didn't. If you find a good toe box pic of the Zahba you can really get an idea of how it fits. Very narrow in the toes while increasing in width as it works its way down to mid foot. In other words, a pointy fit. I even tried on a half size bigger just to see and sadly they still didnt fit my feet right and it was obvious not to make the purchase

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #888 on: March 07, 2023, 05:15:47 PM »
Just got a pair of the Zahba’s. And for me, it fits like the AVE — a bit more of a narrow shoe (not Lizzie or Ultrarange Skate narrow) with a more pointy toebox.

Leaving it a bit loose still felt comfortable when walking around and doing some errands like going to the grocery store.

Hopefully I’ll have some time this week to skate them and report more on the cupsole feel and such.

Sammich

• Rep: 2
« Reply #889 on: March 14, 2023, 10:38:28 AM »
Just got a pair of the Zahba’s. And for me, it fits like the AVE — a bit more of a narrow shoe (not Lizzie or Ultrarange Skate narrow) with a more pointy toebox.

Leaving it a bit loose still felt comfortable when walking around and doing some errands like going to the grocery store.

Hopefully I’ll have some time this week to skate them and report more on the cupsole feel and such.

Any sessions skating these yet??

Out_of_Step

• Rep: 2
« Reply #890 on: March 15, 2023, 07:45:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

just got a pair of Zahba's delivered and from what I remember from the Ultrarange Pros, they fit very similar. These could definitely could be called Ultrarange Pro 3. I tried both the Ultrarange 1 and 2 when they came out and I didn't like the feel of either and ended up returning them. The Zahba's are just too tight in the toe box for me so they will be going back as well.
I don't remember either of the Ultrarange models being that well received when they came out. Both seem to come and go pretty quickly. Surprised they are revisiting a similar design again.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #891 on: March 17, 2023, 10:57:25 AM »
It's not the skate-specific models, but Vans has yet another new cushioning system called "VR3" which is supposed to be more environmentally friendly, recycled and bio-based materials etc. Anyway, I bring it up here because they're putting it in a bunch of the classics and it's actually a fully removable insole just like the pop cush. I just got some of the VR3 Authentics and they're built very similar to the skate authentics now, even have a slightly higher foxing tape more reminiscent of the "wrapped" skate models. 

mindfuzz

• Rep: 33
« Reply #892 on: March 17, 2023, 11:09:03 AM »
It's not the skate-specific models, but Vans has yet another new cushioning system called "VR3" which is supposed to be more environmentally friendly, recycled and bio-based materials etc. Anyway, I bring it up here because they're putting it in a bunch of the classics and it's actually a fully removable insole just like the pop cush. I just got some of the VR3 Authentics and they're built very similar to the skate authentics now, even have a slightly higher foxing tape more reminiscent of the "wrapped" skate models.

It's the footbed in the Zahba

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #893 on: March 17, 2023, 11:34:20 AM »
i do believe its in the lizard armadillo as well
good come sausage

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #894 on: March 17, 2023, 12:25:47 PM »
i do believe its in the lizard armadillo as well

Don’t know if this was autocorrect or intentional, but this made me giggle

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #895 on: March 17, 2023, 12:32:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Any sessions skating these yet??

Rain and parenting has limited my skate time, but I got a 15 flat ground session on the driveway.

I like the board feel Vans cupsoles have. And this is no different.

Not a fan of the insole, especially after coming from Popcush, but I usually end up using an after market insole anyway.

Popped a few ollies and pushed around. The narrow toe didn’t fell off in comparison to wider shoes like half cabs and crockett highs. The suede didn’t feel stiff and had good flex when skating basically new out of the box.

I’ll post more as I skate then more.

blahblah999

« Reply #896 on: March 17, 2023, 03:35:02 PM »
FYI Vans is running 30% off online if you sign up for an account on the website. Earlier this week the stores were offering "buy one get one 1/2 off"...not sure how long that deal will go for.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #897 on: March 17, 2023, 06:00:56 PM »
i feel like a traitor who feels really good. after a lifetime of mostly half cabs a homie hooked it up with some shit from the darkside, some nike blazer mids. and, um i've got a freezer fulla brand new half cabs that are probably never going to get a chance to hurt my feet, hips, or back... fuck i hate to say it but it is true
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #898 on: March 18, 2023, 04:21:49 PM »
FYI Vans is running 30% off online if you sign up for an account on the website. Earlier this week the stores were offering "buy one get one 1/2 off"...not sure how long that deal will go for.

Signed up and got myself another pair of the skate cabs. Fucking perfect shoe, I love authentics but half cabs are really the best skate shoe.

I did however experience some of the outsole/foxing tape separation in the toe of one of the right shoe that I'm currently skating. I filled the gap with shoe goo and it's totally fine. Very small area affected and an easy fix, though a bit disappointing.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

my bad cuh

« Reply #899 on: March 18, 2023, 06:45:25 PM »
anybody have any info on how these new lowland cupsole things skate? they look immaculate and im very tempted to grab a pair regardless of whether or not they skate semi decent
post pics