Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 122109 times)

fernando the skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 116
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #1140 on: January 23, 2024, 03:56:43 AM »
Is the sk8-hi or sk8-lo advisable? It's the only model I havn't tried, wayvee wasn't that nice for me. I might just get some slip ons and call it a day...

My preference is the SK8-mid.

I assume it's true in other places as well, but the UK online Vans store has a big sale on going, with actually decent shoes, in deecent sizes, not the usual hideous shoes in stupid sizes.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1141 on: January 23, 2024, 05:31:39 AM »
Expand Quote

@WideFeet my 2 cents would be to try State insoles (dense and thick but not Popcush thick) or Etnies STI insoles and add a thinner (think stock NB 440 insole) insole on top to give support and get fit dialed.  I've done that to make shoes more supportive, yet comfortable enough to wear/skate
[close]

Thanks for the input. I really doubt any of those options will have the arch support I need. I think my arches are really arched. Plus my pronation, it doesn’t make for a good combination
I've got some bad arches too. The Etnies insoles are alright but they're no better/worse versus like a Dr Scholl's. Honestly your best bet is to just buy some off the shelf insoles that help with arches, or get some supportive insert. Pronation is an absolute bitch, and generally skate shoes don't help with that kind of thing. Maybe if you haven't tried some of the New Balance cupsoles you could try those out.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1142 on: January 23, 2024, 09:59:27 AM »
Is the sk8-hi or sk8-lo advisable? It's the only model I havn't tried, wayvee wasn't that nice for me. I might just get some slip ons and call it a day...

I really liked the one pair of sk8-lo's I had - haven't tried sk8-hi's but my friends always bellyache about how long they take to tie/untie

The vulc Rowan is still their best pro model, imo
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1143 on: January 23, 2024, 10:01:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really liked the one pair of sk8-lo's I had - haven't tried sk8-hi's but my friends always bellyache about how long they take to tie/untie

The vulc Rowan is still their best pro model, imo

I hate to admit it, but I did like this model a bit more than Half Cabs.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1144 on: January 23, 2024, 10:03:08 AM »

While I don't enjoy vans. I will say the SK8 Hi is a really nice skate shoe. Had the Ben K ones and they were really nice

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #1145 on: January 23, 2024, 12:48:26 PM »
I'm skating a pair of SKATE SK8-His at the moment and while they're alright, I do hate how long it takes me to tie and untie them. The Pro version wasn't as bad when it came to that.
SKATE SK8-Lows were my go-to for a while but they've been super hard to find for a couple years now.
SKATE SK8-Mids are dope, just avoid the black-white-emo colorway (be careful, it's the classic black with white sole colorway but the upper is made of a weird material that's stiffer than steel and makes the shoe really uncomfortable; you'll be fine if the upper is made of canvas).
Had a pair of Rowans, thought they were really comfy but not that good for flip tricks, too chunky.
SKATE Half Cabs are pretty good, it takes me 4 to 5 sessions to break them in but then they last really long (and they look fantastic even if they're a bit different from the Pro ones).
Crocketts (the low ones) are really good too but not as durable.
Avoid Lizzie's shoe, I got a pair in my usual size and they're so snug, I can't even wear them as chillers. Money wasted.

TLDR: Get SKATE SK8-Mids with a canvas upper or SKATE Half Cabs.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1146 on: January 23, 2024, 01:15:24 PM »

Had a pair of Rowans, thought they were really comfy but not that good for flip tricks, too chunky.
SKATE Half Cabs are pretty good, it takes me 4 to 5 sessions to break them in but then they last really long (and they look fantastic even if they're a bit different from the Pro ones).

Interesting you find the Rowans more chunky than Half Cabs for flip tricks. The toe shape is nearly identical to my eye and feel.

Personally didn't find flipping my board that tough in them. Other than the side panel being weak compared to the rest of the upper (and the classic Vans sole that goes bald in less than 3 weeks), I couldn't find anything to complain about

I agree main draw is definitely the comfy-ness. Nice wide mid-foot and toe box, pretty generous padding at the collar, padded but not poofy tongue, 15 min break-in.... yeah, that's all really I want from Vans at this point

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #1147 on: January 23, 2024, 02:04:52 PM »

SKATE SK8-Mids are dope, just avoid the black-white-emo colorway (be careful, it's the classic black with white sole colorway but the upper is made of a weird material that's stiffer than steel and makes the shoe really uncomfortable; you'll be fine if the upper is made of canvas).

I'm breaking in a pair of the emo colorway right now and they feel alright. Definitely stiffer than canvas, but they're not that bad.

franc

« Reply #1148 on: January 24, 2024, 06:49:55 AM »
Interesting you find the Rowans more chunky than Half Cabs for flip tricks. The toe shape is nearly identical to my eye and feel.

Personally didn't find flipping my board that tough in them. Other than the side panel being weak compared to the rest of the upper (and the classic Vans sole that goes bald in less than 3 weeks), I couldn't find anything to complain about

I agree main draw is definitely the comfy-ness. Nice wide mid-foot and toe box, pretty generous padding at the collar, padded but not poofy tongue, 15 min break-in.... yeah, that's all really I want from Vans at this point

Oh man I had the first black ones (white sole of course) that had a black jazz stripe and low-key contrast stitching, those looked really rad and were fantastic for skating curbs and transition but I found them weird when it came to skating flatground, they felt too chunky even if the sole was pretty good. They did feel kind of similar to the new SKATE Half Cabs but I had Rowans first then those new Half Cabs so who knows, maybe I got used to that chunkiness with my Half Cabs? Could be tempted to get a second pair if I found one for half price in a decent colorway.

I'm breaking in a pair of the emo colorway right now and they feel alright. Definitely stiffer than canvas, but they're not that bad.

Been wearing mine every fortnight for over a year and they still feel way too stiff. Tried skating in them 3 or 4 times, it's just not happening.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #1149 on: January 24, 2024, 06:58:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I find the rowans to be less chunky than the half cabs. In fact they feel like half cabs used to feel like before the "skate" line was created. They're a phenomenal shoe.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #1150 on: January 24, 2024, 10:19:51 AM »
I have non-Skate Sk8 Lows as chillers that I skated in once and they felt amazing.  Definitely not a protective shoe, but if the Skate version has a similar feel with more padding, I imagine they’d be great too, assuming you have flipper feet like I do.

cornman

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1151 on: January 24, 2024, 11:35:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is the emo leather the synthetic/waxy material? I agree that the material is stiff and takes some time to break in, but it makes the shoe last so long. I had a pair of Old Schools Pros with this material on the sidewall and skated them for months before I ripped through the material. I skated a pair of Old School Pros with a canvas sidewall and ripped through to the sock in less than a week.

franc

« Reply #1152 on: January 24, 2024, 11:47:56 AM »
Is the emo leather the synthetic/waxy material? I agree that the material is stiff and takes some time to break in, but it makes the shoe last so long. I had a pair of Old Schools Pros with this material on the sidewall and skated them for months before I ripped through the material. I skated a pair of Old School Pros with a canvas sidewall and ripped through to the sock in less than a week.

That emo leather is synthetic/waxy, yes.
I've never seen it on other Vans before but I don't get Old Skools super often.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1153 on: January 24, 2024, 12:32:30 PM »
They did feel kind of similar to the new SKATE Half Cabs but I had Rowans first then those new Half Cabs so who knows, maybe I got used to that chunkiness with my Half Cabs? Could be tempted to get a second pair if I found one for half price in a decent colorway.

I keep checking, they rarely go on sale, specifically in good colors. They're fairly popular even in my small-ish city, so I imagine they must sell at least half decent. Considering they have him a second model, he must be bringing some cash flow in.

BUT eating my words a bit, here's a clean blue/white colorway for 50$...

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Vans_Rowan_Pro_Shoes/descpage-VARBL.html

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1154 on: January 24, 2024, 04:52:03 PM »
Expand Quote
They did feel kind of similar to the new SKATE Half Cabs but I had Rowans first then those new Half Cabs so who knows, maybe I got used to that chunkiness with my Half Cabs? Could be tempted to get a second pair if I found one for half price in a decent colorway.
[close]

I keep checking, they rarely go on sale, specifically in good colors. They're fairly popular even in my small-ish city, so I imagine they must sell at least half decent. Considering they have him a second model, he must be bringing some cash flow in.

BUT eating my words a bit, here's a clean blue/white colorway for 50$...

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Vans_Rowan_Pro_Shoes/descpage-VARBL.html

I do think the "classic colourways" don't go on sale as much, but sometimes it is just the sheer volume of shoes in shops that makes some end up on clearance faster than others.

Picked up the first Rowan black white colour for a bargain price when there were overstock not too long after they first came out, so maybe they didn't sell as well as hoped, or whatever reason, but sometimes you can be in the right place at the right time too.

Even some of the blanket % off sales end up being really good for regular lines of product, shoes or other stuff too, so I keep an eye on places that have 20% or even 30% off and those things often go quick when those kind of sales are announced.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #1155 on: January 25, 2024, 05:35:52 AM »
I already had those blue rowans, but this thread reminded me I may need a backup...so ordered. It's definitely been my favorite blue as well. Would enjoy some half cabs in the same color.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1156 on: January 25, 2024, 08:35:07 AM »
Anyone able to compare the Rowan 2s to other cupsoles on the market (Dunks, NB 1010, etc)? That sole looks insanely chunky to me but I’m curious if it translates to 0 boardfeel or if there’s more going on than meets the eye.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1157 on: January 25, 2024, 08:42:06 AM »
Anyone able to compare the Rowan 2s to other cupsoles on the market (Dunks, NB 1010, etc)? That sole looks insanely chunky to me but I’m curious if it translates to 0 boardfeel or if there’s more going on than meets the eye.
This site has a bunch of reviews of shoes
https://www.weartested.com/vans-rowan-2/

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #1158 on: January 25, 2024, 08:58:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wow completely forgot about Weartested, figured they imploded around when Ripped Laces did. Appreciate it!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1159 on: January 25, 2024, 11:06:04 AM »
Still rotating in my rowan 2s but not as much now as I can't fit my new insoles (higher arch) in them, with or without leaving the stock paper thin one in. Sucks too because I really like them (more than my Nike Leos which can fit the insole on top of stock).

MonsPubis

• Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1160 on: January 25, 2024, 11:14:50 AM »

I'm going back and forth with Rowan 2's and 1010's right now. The Rowan sole is not chunky, and I would argue it has the best boardfeel and grip between the 3. I would skate either 1010 or Rowan 2 over a dunk any day. The biggest differences between the Rowan and 1010 is the Rowan has a more flexible sole and pointier toe box, which is ideal for flip tricks. 1010 still feels like the highest quality and best structured shoe. Dunks feel like cardboard garbage. Break in time is comparable to a 1010 as well.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 39
« Reply #1161 on: January 25, 2024, 11:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.weartested.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Bildschirmfoto-2023-11-06-um-20.59.43.png

This pic makes the cup look a lot smaller than just a pic of the shoe. I steered away from these because how thick it looked.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Curbyourenthusiasm

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1162 on: January 25, 2024, 01:45:47 PM »

I really enjoy the Rowan 2 more than most cupsoles I've skated in recent memory. I think the closest comparison for overall feel is a jordan 1, but with better grip. I really hope it sticks around for awhile. Not nearly as narrow as it looks either. Fits my foot ideally, but obviously everyone is different.

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #1163 on: January 25, 2024, 07:33:11 PM »
Love it, thanks all for the info. Was leaning towards another pair of 1010s or some 480s, but may give the Rowan 2s a shot instead.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1164 on: January 27, 2024, 06:23:13 AM »
real question: if you buy a pair of half cabs, and only get a single shoe in the box, does that make it a quarter cab?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1165 on: January 27, 2024, 08:14:13 AM »
i don't know
but quarter his age would get him to jail

liahoop9595

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1166 on: January 28, 2024, 02:17:55 PM »

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
« Reply #1167 on: January 28, 2024, 07:02:01 PM »
Love it, thanks all for the info. Was leaning towards another pair of 1010s or some 480s, but may give the Rowan 2s a shot instead.

Same here. Thanks,Curb. Picking up a pair of Rowan 2 for my old feet/back/hips

kitcatski

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1168 on: January 28, 2024, 09:20:37 PM »
New authentic highs

https://rosestreetskateshop.com/products/vans-skate-authentic-high-navy-black

These look dope. I've only ever skated eras, is the only difference the padding around the heel?

Curbyourenthusiasm

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1169 on: January 28, 2024, 09:40:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same here. Thanks,Curb. Picking up a pair of Rowan 2 for my old feet/back/hips

Hope you like them. I'm a fossil and my feet barely have any pain post session🙌