Author Topic: The Dead  (Read 899 times)

sexhaver2006

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
The Dead
« on: April 22, 2020, 03:13:29 PM »
Who fucks with the Grateful Dead? I don't know any other skaters who do, except I have seen Grosso wearing a steelie shirt...

JB77

Re: The Dead
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 03:15:33 AM »
They're my favorite band.  Mike V is a big fan, too.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:37:38 AM »
I'm one of those people who thinks American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are really good albums and I listen to them regularly, but whenever anyone starts talking to me about anything else it just annoys me so much and I try to walk away as quickly as possible.

Phantasma Del Mar

• Rep: 7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 02:04:05 PM »
I like the Dead and also listen to the side project New riders of the purple sage often. Erik Ellington has some Grateful Dead graphics on Baker that upon research I saw was rereleased on deathwish. Think I had a sweatshirt or something of it. Don’t know how to post pics but it’s the Skeleton with the crown of roses

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:15:45 PM »
 ;)
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 07:25:51 PM »
One good thing about the pandemic is that Dead and Slow cancelled summer tour.  Much better just staying at home listening to 70s Legion of Mary/ JGB.  Going on top in the early 90s, there were lots of people skating on the lot. Even going so far as to load uhauls full of ramps atvenues. 

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:41:08 AM by Shifty Flip »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 07:35:54 PM »
I've tried to get into the Dead quite a few times, and I can enjoy their first album, Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa but that's about it.  I don't mind when people play them, though.

This song rules:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6oIOI9-r5I

JB77

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 02:53:42 AM »
One good thing about the pandemic is that Dead and Slow cancelled summer tour.  Much better just starting at home listening to 70s Legion of Mary/ JGB.  Going on top in the early 90s, there were lots of people saying on the lot. Even going so far as to load uhauls full of ramps between venues.

That’s a bummer/elitist/bullshit attitude to have.  Some of us like Dead & Co and had tickets to summer tour.  I was really looking forward to the show.  If you don't like them, that's cool.  Stay home and listen to records.   But, how is it a good thing that a show you weren't even going to got cancelled?  What a jerk.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:29:19 AM by JB77 »

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 11:39:04 AM »
Expand Quote
One good thing about the pandemic is that Dead and Slow cancelled summer tour.  Much better just starting at home listening to 70s Legion of Mary/ JGB.  Going on top in the early 90s, there were lots of people saying on the lot. Even going so far as to load uhauls full of ramps between venues.
[close]

That’s a bummer/elitist/bullshit attitude to have.  Some of us like Dead & Co and had tickets to summer tour.  I was really looking forward to the show.  If you don't like them, that's cool.  Stay home and listen to records.   But, how is it a good thing that a show you weren't even going to got cancelled?  What a jerk.

I had tickets to 6 different venues, 11 shows total this summer. I tried so hard to like it, but if it hasn't happened in years, it's not going to happen now.  JM isn't even the problem. His playing rips, some songs I can't stand his singing, but I think most of the dislike is the scene now, and Otiel trying so hard to be cool hurts my eyes. He's like if Zion was on stage trying to dance barefoot. (But I like him in Pages band).  Having saw ratdog 200+ times, Bobby may be my biggest let down. Possibly the greatest rhythm player ever refuses to pick up the tempo ever. Now every song is a snooze fest.   I'm sure there will be other Grateful Dead cover bands playing smaller venues this fall so didn't get too worked up. 
With Terrapin Crossroads jams on replay we will survive.  That and my LoM bootleg stash and I'm ready for whatever the pandemic brings.  Sorry if my opinion offends you, but that's the one tour I'm glad I won't be going to this summer.
NFA 

JB77

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 01:51:27 PM »
Offended isn’t the word... I just don’t get not wanting other people to have a good time.  I don’t like Imagine Dragons.  Some people do.  I’m not glad that Imagine Dragons’ shows got cancelled and their fans don’t get to go to the show.  That would be weird.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
My wife was always really into them and I knew a few songs but was (am) way too big a Ledhead to really give them a chance. Then I watched the "Long, Strange Trip" docuseries on Amazon.

Now I get it, and have been making up for lost time ever since. Wish I would've caught one of the D&Co shows in NYC last year. Saw Grateful Shred at Brooklyn Bowl. They fucking rip.

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 04:03:30 PM »
My wife was always really into them and I knew a few songs but was (am) way too big a Ledhead to really give them a chance. Then I watched the "Long, Strange Trip" docuseries on Amazon.

Now I get it, and have been making up for lost time ever since. Wish I would've caught one of the D&Co shows in NYC last year. Saw Grateful Shred at Brooklyn Bowl. They fucking rip.

Greatful Shred is way better than Dead and Co. in my opinion. I would love to see them some day. I saw Mapache (project by two of the guitar players) in Portland 2-3 years ago.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
The Grateful Dead is like black licorice.

I enjoy their music. I like Jerry Garcia’s lap steel guitar on “I used to be a king” by Graham Nash.

animalflesh

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
society has progressed past the need for jam bands.

Shots fired

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 04:16:39 AM »
I'm one of those people who thinks American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are really good albums and I listen to them regularly, but whenever anyone starts talking to me about anything else it just annoys me so much and I try to walk away as quickly as possible.
Haha yes! I am the same way, not proud of it...but the same way.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 07:18:24 PM »
JRAD is worth seeing

society has progressed past the need for jam bands.

Delve into this a bit more... jazz is crushing it right now