Author Topic: bikes  (Read 305904 times)

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Re: bikes
« Reply #3600 on: April 05, 2024, 05:34:43 AM »
Expand Quote
In a desperate attempt to claw myself out of crippling debt, I’ve started buying and flipping anything I can, including bicycles.  Here’s a couple that I’ve cleaned the rust off of and gave minor tune-ups before selling;

I wanted to do that but ended up giving them away. Had a pretty good stable of 80s japanese steel bikes. The panasonic frames were particularly decent
[close]

i did this throughout COVID in NYC and made a killing. usually would pick up bikes for $20-$50 a pop, sink $50ish in parts into them, and flip them for $200+. Probably flipped 50+ bikes in the past couple years.
good come sausage

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3601 on: April 05, 2024, 08:48:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In a desperate attempt to claw myself out of crippling debt, I’ve started buying and flipping anything I can, including bicycles.  Here’s a couple that I’ve cleaned the rust off of and gave minor tune-ups before selling;

I wanted to do that but ended up giving them away. Had a pretty good stable of 80s japanese steel bikes. The panasonic frames were particularly decent
[close]

i did this throughout COVID in NYC and made a killing. usually would pick up bikes for $20-$50 a pop, sink $50ish in parts into them, and flip them for $200+. Probably flipped 50+ bikes in the past couple years.
[close]

Thats dope. Its gotta be a good sized city or college town, for sure. Covid must have been perfect for that too, w supply chain shortages and all. Hell ya
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3602 on: April 05, 2024, 11:55:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

1988 Miyata 1200 w/ Sante 7-speed sis shifters

I got doored about a month ago while riding the '83 Miyata 310 and I'm still waiting to hear back from my claim whether or not the other party's insurance will take care of everything ($200 Japanese steel fork that I upgraded to about a month prior totally destroyed). I walked away with no major injuries besides a laceration on the jaw which I guess makes me look tough as fuck according to the homies.

This bike has been super fun so far and is way lighter; although I put 600 miles on the 310 so it had sentimental value :(
[close]

just wanted to provide an update on the Miyata 1200, swapped for a classic nitto stem, gp5000's and a brooks B17 saddle
since owning this bike (bought in July 2023), i'm about to break 1000 miles considering how much less i bike since moving back to Houston. no where near as bike-friendly as Oakland.
[close]
Almost bought that same topo design bag a couple of months ago. Noticed it on sale. Been wanting a bag like that for phone and keys when I do rides with bike shorts. You liking the bag? I have a little topo bag for my handlebars but frame bag would work with my road bikes for sure
yea i like it! lowkey could be a bit more spacious. it typically holds 2-3 snacks like energy chews/gels and my keys. i think if i tried hard enough, i could fit a spare tube and tire levers tho

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #3603 on: April 09, 2024, 05:19:28 PM »

This one was a bit of a bastard.  Old Sears 10 speed that I had to buy new tires and tubes for.  Involved more brake work than I had planned, luckily was able to get it back together in working order.  Considering I’ve sold 2 and currently sitting on 3, I feel like more of a collector than flipper atm.  Then again we’re still getting snow here.. I’m hopefully optimistic people will be looking for bikes soon.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3604 on: April 11, 2024, 06:44:29 AM »
anyone got recs for a good starter hardtail MTB (suspension fork) under 1k?

Also am I being dumb that I'd prefer a steel frame? I just think I'd dent the fuck out of an aluminum one
given my luck/lack of skill.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3605 on: April 11, 2024, 07:04:42 AM »
speaking of starter hardtail MTB's here's a Nishiki i found in the trash a few months back that needed work and got back into riding shape only to take out for a 10 mile trail ride where i found that i'll probably kill myself on this thing

PAWL if you local to Long Island, NY lemme know if you're interested i'd let it go for fairly cheap.
good come sausage

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3606 on: April 11, 2024, 07:06:43 AM »
speaking of starter hardtail MTB's here's a Nishiki i found in the trash a few months back that needed work and got back into riding shape only to take out for a 10 mile trail ride where i found that i'll probably kill myself on this thing

PAWL if you local to Long Island, NY lemme know if you're interested i'd let it go for fairly cheap.

oh, sick! I'm in Philly but definitely down. DM me about price
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.