Author Topic: Watches  (Read 46138 times)

breezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
Re: Watches
« Reply #1050 on: January 10, 2024, 05:26:12 AM »
wasn't fussed on the first drop, but this all black Swatch 50 Fathoms is killer - let the hunt begin! 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1051 on: January 10, 2024, 05:22:57 PM »
Not bad at all, blancpain divers are just always too big for my wrists. Yes, I know the bathyscaphe is 38mm, but I want it to look like a 50 fathoms. As a brand I fewlthey could do so much more, but the collab with swatch is a good start.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1052 on: January 11, 2024, 10:55:04 AM »
Are there deals to be had buying watches from Japan these days since the yen is so weak? How about buying watches in Japan?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1053 on: January 11, 2024, 01:57:02 PM »
Are there deals to be had buying watches from Japan these days since the yen is so weak? How about buying watches in Japan?
what are you looking for? JDMs or Swiss brands?
If you’re a tourist coming with USD and you can get the duty-free discount, then yeah you can find some deals but you’ll have to dig/ hunt because a lot of the bigger stores have wised up in regards watch prices outside of Japan. Auctions or sites like Mercari can still be good if you’re looking for a model that isn’t so popular but generally you have to be in country as most won’t ship o/s (eBay excluded). The vintage market is fun here too as Japanese people love to collect, but again prices aren’t that different except maybe in the cases of vintage JDM models like lord Seiko or old skool grand seikos. Feel free to hit me up if you need anything else.
For imports be aware of import tax and have the seller declare the price for cheaper than the minimum for import tax; easier said than done when you are shipping omegas and only declaring them for $200!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 11:47:46 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

artskool

« Reply #1054 on: January 12, 2024, 06:15:36 AM »
Nothing specific, though looking at some vintage JDM stuff. I'll be in Japan for a few weeks this winter and want to pick up something cool while I'm there. Any specific shop recommendations are welcome! I'll be kind of all over the place. Thanks for the tips!

Expand Quote
[close]
what are you looking for? JDMs or Swiss brands?
If you’re a tourist coming with USD and you can get the duty-free discount, then yeah you can find some deals but you’ll have to dig/ hunt because a lot of the bigger stores have wised up in regards watch prices outside of Japan. Auctions or sites like Mercari can still be good if you’re looking for a model that isn’t so popular but generally you have to be in country as most won’t ship o/s (eBay excluded). The vintage market is fun here too as Japanese people love to collect, but again prices aren’t that different except maybe in the cases of vintage JDM models like lord Seiko or old skool grand seikos. Feel free to hit me up if you need anything else.
For imports be aware of import tax and have the seller declare the price for cheaper than the minimum for import tax; easier said than done when you are shipping omegas and only declaring them for $200!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1055 on: January 14, 2024, 04:34:12 AM »
@artskool okay, I’ll try and give you a list; when do you leave and what is your approx budget (dm me if you don’t want to mention it here)?  I live in the middle of nowhere over here and thus have zero vintage watch shops near me (actually I have two, but they’re nothing to write home about) but I should be able to give you some tips…

artskool

« Reply #1056 on: January 15, 2024, 12:40:45 PM »
(Budget depends in large part on a gig I think I'll land this week) Definitely influenced by your recommendations way back when, I'm thinking about a Tudor bb, or maybe a Speedmaster reduced, but nothing super specific. More likely, something unique in the sub $500 or less zone. Vintage Japanese watches probably. I'm definitely not a brand snob. I'll be traveling around, but will be shopping the most probably in the Tokyo area. Any cool non-touristy spots that are art/music/fashion adjacent would be very welcome.

@artskool okay, I’ll try and give you a list; when do you leave and what is your approx budget (dm me if you don’t want to mention it here)?  I live in the middle of nowhere over here and thus have zero vintage watch shops near me (actually I have two, but they’re nothing to write home about) but I should be able to give you some tips…
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 12:55:16 PM by artskool »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1057 on: January 17, 2024, 08:35:58 PM »
@artskool sorry for the tardy reply mate, shit has been busy! I think a speedy reduced would be a great watch to pick up here, they are always in good condition, prices aren't as cheap as they were even 3 years ago though... Black bay 36mm aren't as easy to find, at least the older ones aren't, and the price is going up. I shouldn't have sold mine so cheap!
Here's some places to go (be aware I haven't lived in Tokyo in over 20 years so I'm probs not the best person):

Ginza: obvious first stop, not so many vintage stores (except maybe Quark and the like) but there is a Seiko museum there (that I have never visited)

Nakano: Hard to describe how to get to the Broadway building, but just punch this address into your maps: https://www.jackroad.co.jp/shop/pages/company_new_en.aspx
Once you find Jackroad, you're in the right place. They have a massive selection but the prices won't be that great because a lot of tourists frequent there. Their sister store also has some good finds and they aren't always female only models. There's tonnes of other watch shops in that area that I'm certain someone has written a guide on so maybe do a quick search on google.

Random pawnshops and Camera Stores: Daikoku-ya is a famous pwan shop and they have stores everywhere the stock they have will differ from location to location so not very effective, but always always good to stop by if you see one on the way to somewhere. Big Camera stores often have a whole floor dedicated to watches too, but they'll probably be new. The same goes for big department stores here; they'll sell all the latest brands, but not too much 2nd hand in most cases. Don Quixote is a really random store that sells everything, but some of the bigger locations have 2nd hand watches. Again, don't seek on out unless you're on your way to somewhere and you happen across one.

Next up, some random shops that will defs be worth hitting up:
Again, Jackroad has a REALLY good selection so you might be a bit let down by the smaller places, but they will have better prices and also rarer/ less sought after models.

Eguchi - https://eguchi-store.jp
Abitro - https://arbitro.shop/en/collections/vintage-watches
Firekids https://firekids.jp/collections/all?pf_st_fan_mai_zhuang_kuang=in-stock
(is in Yokohama from memory but not that far out of Tokyo)
Time anagram - https://timeanagram.com/en/collections/frontpage
(I think you need to reserve before you visit which seems like a pain BUT their selection is MINT)
Curio x2 https://curious-curio.jp
(lost of military style watches)

These two also hit up a lot of shops, so just check their vintage vids for shop names/ locations:
https://www.youtube.com/@watchspiritstokyo.5188/videos

I would also trust worn and wound with their choices:
https://wornandwound.com/hunting-vintage-watches-tokyo/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:02:21 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

artskool

« Reply #1058 on: January 18, 2024, 08:31:42 AM »
Awesome, appreciate it so much! Cruising these spots gives me a fun side mission while I'm wandering solo. I'll let you guys know if I find anything fun!

@artskool sorry for the tardy reply mate, shit has been busy! I think a speedy reduced would be a great watch to pick up here, they are always in good condition, prices aren't as cheap as they were even 3 years ago though... Black bay 36mm aren't as easy to find, at least the older ones aren't, and the price is going up. I shouldn't have sold mine so cheap!
Here's some places to go (be aware I haven't lived in Tokyo in over 20 years so I'm probs not the best person):

Ginza: obvious first stop, not so many vintage stores (except maybe Quark and the like) but there is a Seiko museum there (that I have never visited)

Nakano: Hard to describe how to get to the Broadway building, but just punch this address into your maps: https://www.jackroad.co.jp/shop/pages/company_new_en.aspx
Once you find Jackroad, you're in the right place. They have a massive selection but the prices won't be that great because a lot of tourists frequent there. Their sister store also has some good finds and they aren't always female only models. There's tonnes of other watch shops in that area that I'm certain someone has written a guide on so maybe do a quick search on google.

Random pawnshops and Camera Stores: Daikoku-ya is a famous pwan shop and they have stores everywhere the stock they have will differ from location to location so not very effective, but always always good to stop by if you see one on the way to somewhere. Big Camera stores often have a whole floor dedicated to watches too, but they'll probably be new. The same goes for big department stores here; they'll sell all the latest brands, but not too much 2nd hand in most cases. Don Quixote is a really random store that sells everything, but some of the bigger locations have 2nd hand watches. Again, don't seek on out unless you're on your way to somewhere and you happen across one.

Next up, some random shops that will defs be worth hitting up:
Again, Jackroad has a REALLY good selection so you might be a bit let down by the smaller places, but they will have better prices and also rarer/ less sought after models.

Eguchi - https://eguchi-store.jp
Abitro - https://arbitro.shop/en/collections/vintage-watches
Firekids https://firekids.jp/collections/all?pf_st_fan_mai_zhuang_kuang=in-stock
(is in Yokohama from memory but not that far out of Tokyo)
Time anagram - https://timeanagram.com/en/collections/frontpage
(I think you need to reserve before you visit which seems like a pain BUT their selection is MINT)
Curio x2 https://curious-curio.jp
(lost of military style watches)

These two also hit up a lot of shops, so just check their vintage vids for shop names/ locations:
https://www.youtube.com/@watchspiritstokyo.5188/videos

I would also trust worn and wound with their choices:
https://wornandwound.com/hunting-vintage-watches-tokyo/

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1059 on: January 24, 2024, 05:10:01 AM »
@artskool no problem, I hope you can find something special to commemorate your trip there. Vintage GS would be dope!
For other Tokyo related stuff, you should just hit up the travel forum here; lots of pals in Tokyo on these boards (that don’t give a fuck about watches haha)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1060 on: January 25, 2024, 08:58:26 AM »
Looks like we might be getting a Snoopy MoonSwatch

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1061 on: January 30, 2024, 10:17:51 PM »
Looks like we might be getting a Snoopy MoonSwatch

will be a fun watch but the prices will be so exaggerated (again)

breezer

« Reply #1062 on: January 31, 2024, 03:01:16 AM »
I was stood in an Omega Boutique and the salesman was telling me a deposit on a Snoopy Moonwatch would be 880 Uk pounds.........I kind of regret not slapping down the cash..........but now I can have all the fun for 300.......cannot wait....plus the hunt will be the best bit.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1063 on: January 31, 2024, 02:04:18 PM »
Threw the Tudor on a nato. I kinda like it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1064 on: February 01, 2024, 04:57:36 AM »
Looks good @TastyBurrito how are you enjoying it?
In other watch news, anyone seen those new Hamilton expeditions in 37mm? Tried one on the day and they feel very solid:
https://www.watchreviewblog.com/hamilton-khaki-field-expedition-watch-review/
Don’t think I need another matte black dialed watch though…

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1065 on: February 01, 2024, 07:29:35 AM »
Oh! That 37mm Hamilton looks nice.

I wish Seiko would make the Alpinist that small.

Love the blended look of the GMT with the moving compass on the recent models.

breezer

« Reply #1066 on: February 01, 2024, 09:22:52 AM »
not digging the Hamilton....dial feels too busy, hands are too big......

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1067 on: March 09, 2024, 03:49:12 AM »
Elissa rocking a Rolex?

LeDave

• Rep: -16
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #1068 on: March 09, 2024, 06:03:51 AM »
This used to be mine, I gave it to my brother-in-law for his wedding present.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 06:12:51 AM by LeDave »

LeDave

« Reply #1069 on: March 09, 2024, 06:37:34 AM »
Threw the Tudor on a nato. I kinda like it.

When I bought my Seamaster Professional, I was deciding between that and the Black Bay. The reason why I chose the Omega is because it was the non-wavy dial one. I hate the wavy, both old and new. If the Seamaster Professional was wavy on that particular model, I would've settled with the Black Bay instead. that Tudor Black Bay is a great watch, congratulations and wear it in good health!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1070 on: March 09, 2024, 02:37:30 PM »
@LeDave thats a very generous wedding present! The non-wave SMP was pretty rare, production was only for a season or two.
I never minded the waves on the dial when I had my 2252.50, but it’s a very particular 90s steeze.
Did you not end up getting another watch?

LeDave

« Reply #1071 on: March 09, 2024, 04:59:59 PM »
@LeDave thats a very generous wedding present! The non-wave SMP was pretty rare, production was only for a season or two.
I never minded the waves on the dial when I had my 2252.50, but it’s a very particular 90s steeze.

Nope, I will never spend that much on a timepiece ever again.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1072 on: March 10, 2024, 12:07:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nope, I will never spend that much on a timepiece ever again.
well, you're a stronger man than me ;)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1073 on: March 17, 2024, 07:02:03 PM »
So I had to work down near my local antique watch shop on Friday and popped in during my lunch break to have a little chat. Guy is a massive watch nerd and lets you try on literally everything in his shop even if it's not on display. Here is some shit he showed me (pics are just for reference, not hsactual pics):

1601 Grey Datejust - From the 60s and only one owner, condition is absolutely mint. Wears really well and the jubilee just melts onto your wrist. Heavily contemplating one now although his one is display only. I can see why people love this model so much now...
https://bulangandsons.com/products/rolex-datejust-grey-dial-1601-with-papers-w-665

1978 Seadweller - My birth year! Dome on the crystal is absolutely ridics. It's 40mm but doesn't actually wear that big (cept it's probably 15mm thicc). Funnily enough the clasp design looks exactly the same as the one on my Tudor Sub so it's cool to know where they got those particular design cues from.
https://tokei-shizuoka.jp/2023/10/21/4235/
(make sure you scroll down to see that DOME)

Rolex GMT Master Yellow 1675 Gold Brown Dial w/ president bracelet - I didn't try this one on actually because a) I don't like all gold watches and b) the owner claimed that only 2 (!) of these exist within the whole of Japan. He was still okay with me trying it on though which is pretty cool. The dial had faded a lot, so much so that you could hardly see the lettering/ branding. Apparently they tended to come on either a jubilee or oyster bracelet and that's why this one is so rare. Again, no really where my interests lie, but cool nonetheless.
https://bulangandsons.com/products/rolex-gmt-master-yellow-1675-gold-brown-dial-w1487

Seiko 62 MAS with brand new NOS case - So this wasn't even on display but I have been lusting after these for a minute so I casually asked him, "do these pop up very often?". He smiles and went back to one of the drawers in his workshop and pulling out a little plastic bag. Inside was a 62 MAS inside an NOS case that was left in the original Seiko factory where they were produced. Apparently, he knew someone with connections to said factory and they somehow kept it in pristine condition up until now. The finishing on the case honestly looked like GS quality and again he just nonchalantly let me try it on. It was on a nato so obviously my wrist didn't touch the case, but he mentioned that up until a few weeks ago, the original sticker was still on the back!!! If I didn't already love this watch before, I certainly do now. The sizing is perfect and the grey sunburst dial is divine!
https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1967-seiko-62mas-ref-62137-8001?variant=32940903563339

A few other pieces here and there but those are the ones that stood out.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1074 on: March 17, 2024, 08:49:18 PM »
So I had to work down near my local antique watch shop on Friday and popped in during my lunch break to have a little chat. Guy is a massive watch nerd and lets you try on literally everything in his shop even if it's not on display. Here is some shit he showed me (pics are just for reference, not hsactual pics):

1601 Grey Datejust - From the 60s and only one owner, condition is absolutely mint. Wears really well and the jubilee just melts onto your wrist. Heavily contemplating one now although his one is display only. I can see why people love this model so much now...
https://bulangandsons.com/products/rolex-datejust-grey-dial-1601-with-papers-w-665

1978 Seadweller - My birth year! Dome on the crystal is absolutely ridics. It's 40mm but doesn't actually wear that big (cept it's probably 15mm thicc). Funnily enough the clasp design looks exactly the same as the one on my Tudor Sub so it's cool to know where they got those particular design cues from.
https://tokei-shizuoka.jp/2023/10/21/4235/
(make sure you scroll down to see that DOME)

Rolex GMT Master Yellow 1675 Gold Brown Dial w/ president bracelet - I didn't try this one on actually because a) I don't like all gold watches and b) the owner claimed that only 2 (!) of these exist within the whole of Japan. He was still okay with me trying it on though which is pretty cool. The dial had faded a lot, so much so that you could hardly see the lettering/ branding. Apparently they tended to come on either a jubilee or oyster bracelet and that's why this one is so rare. Again, no really where my interests lie, but cool nonetheless.
https://bulangandsons.com/products/rolex-gmt-master-yellow-1675-gold-brown-dial-w1487

Seiko 62 MAS with brand new NOS case - So this wasn't even on display but I have been lusting after these for a minute so I casually asked him, "do these pop up very often?". He smiles and went back to one of the drawers in his workshop and pulling out a little plastic bag. Inside was a 62 MAS inside an NOS case that was left in the original Seiko factory where they were produced. Apparently, he knew someone with connections to said factory and they somehow kept it in pristine condition up until now. The finishing on the case honestly looked like GS quality and again he just nonchalantly let me try it on. It was on a nato so obviously my wrist didn't touch the case, but he mentioned that up until a few weeks ago, the original sticker was still on the back!!! If I didn't already love this watch before, I certainly do now. The sizing is perfect and the grey sunburst dial is divine!
https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1967-seiko-62mas-ref-62137-8001?variant=32940903563339

A few other pieces here and there but those are the ones that stood out.

Awesome rundown, that visit must’ve been a blast. Normally dive watches don’t do it for me at all but that 62 MAS is unreal, such a cool and timeless piece.

Curious about your thoughts on the Prospex re-interpretation or whatever they called it. It wasn’t really on my radar so I haven’t compared dimensions to the original, are they relatively close? I know they had the limited edition version that was supposed to be a 1:1, were these similar?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1075 on: March 17, 2024, 10:04:00 PM »
@Enrico Pallazzo Seiko have done 3-4 reissues of this watch (I will look up the ref. Numbers later for you) only the very last one being totally true in terms of sizing/ proportions but it was limited to only 1965 pieces (only 500 in Japan too). All the other ones were much bigger/ thicker than the original!
I contemplated getting one of the most recent ones, but figured it would be better (and cheaper) to just get an original one because they will only get rarer and rarer as time gone on.
And yes, it was a tonne of fun nerding out for a good 45 min or so

Relevant link to all the different reissues:
https://www.fratellowatches.com/introducing-with-seikos-perfected-re-edition-of-the-62mas-the-sje093/#gref
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 10:19:51 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1076 on: March 18, 2024, 07:03:34 AM »
@Enrico Pallazzo Seiko have done 3-4 reissues of this watch (I will look up the ref. Numbers later for you) only the very last one being totally true in terms of sizing/ proportions but it was limited to only 1965 pieces (only 500 in Japan too). All the other ones were much bigger/ thicker than the original!
I contemplated getting one of the most recent ones, but figured it would be better (and cheaper) to just get an original one because they will only get rarer and rarer as time gone on.
And yes, it was a tonne of fun nerding out for a good 45 min or so

Relevant link to all the different reissues:
https://www.fratellowatches.com/introducing-with-seikos-perfected-re-edition-of-the-62mas-the-sje093/#gref

Right on, thanks! Yeah like I said never really looked to much into anything dive watch related so wasn’t super familiar with all the rereleases/updates. Interesting they didn’t aim for a true match until recently (and in such limited numbers). Fingers crossed you find an original for a bargain one of these days.

breezer

« Reply #1077 on: March 20, 2024, 11:07:06 AM »
looks like the Snoopy Moonswatch arrives next week..........I would queue up all night! 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4tqmf_r45O/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

breezer

« Reply #1078 on: March 21, 2024, 10:31:45 AM »
Ok maybe not all night, but I would definitely queue for one......any Peanuts fans in the house?  Actual Snoopy Speedmasters are in the 15-20K price bracket.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/moonswatch-snoopy-the-mission-to-the-moonphase-has-landed

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1079 on: March 22, 2024, 04:11:03 AM »
Ok maybe not all night, but I would definitely queue for one......any Peanuts fans in the house?  Actual Snoopy Speedmasters are in the 15-20K price bracket.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/moonswatch-snoopy-the-mission-to-the-moonphase-has-landed
not a massive fan, but my kids love it.
The snoopy speedy is pretty cool though, they did a great job on it