Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45255 times)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Watches
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »
Lu g to lug is 39mm....

I was at the shop lst tuesday, i think i‘m gonna call today or tomorrow and offer 2,5 So i think we‘ll agree on 2,6 or something.

Also i need to buy a colareb leather strap for it.

It doesn‘t have the original papers but it has a guarantee and a certificate through said dealer (who is a local well respected dealer of luxury watches).
So as expected 2.6 is the final offer.

-2 years warranty
-fresh revision
-certificate of authencity.

I think i‘ll give it a go. As long as i don‘t break it i think the rolex keeps its worth and if i‘d ever need the money at any point in my life i think can easily sell it quick for at least  2k.
The only thing that keeps me thinking is the fact that it comes with a plexi. I like the look of it, i feel the dial looks softer and it suits a watch from the 70ies. On the other hand saphire is just safer but the newer (saphire models) go for 3,4-4k.
Still you can always polish the plexi and if you have to change it its around 50 bucks.

Gay, any input on the plexi?
 My wifes max bill has a plexi and i had to change it twice all ready, but on that particular model its a known problem because of its shape, people all over the web complain about stress cracks.
The rolex plexi is pretty flat so i think it‘ll be fine....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:40:58 PM by pica »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »
Plexi is fine in my opinion, and actually preferred on vintage watches. A quick rub with some polywatch every 6 months and you’re good to go. As you also said, they give the dial a warmer less sterile feel and are cheap to replace. My speedy reduced has one and I wouldn’t have it any other way (speedy reduced also has a hidden omega logo in the plexi which looks so cool in the right light). Never heard about the max bill getting stress cracks, I thought I’d heard that plexi was a bit more resilient when it comes to pressure and that’s why lots of famous dive watches used it back in the day? Perhaps the max bill has a design fault?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Zephyr-Cum

• Rep: -103
  • DIE
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
Watches are how Russian mobsters and the drug cartels pay off politicians. Now, sundials? That's class.
I AM A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION.

"Shalom".

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
tzhangdox> you sir, have amazing taste in watches. I’m really itching to type you a reply but am stuck at home with the kids for the next few days, will try and get back in here on Friday.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
tzhangdox> you sir, have amazing taste in watches. I’m really itching to type you a reply but am stuck at home with the kids for the next few days, will try and get back in here on Friday.
super helpful stuff thanks again. My bday Friday so considering pulling the trigger on something still! And still taking rec’s

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »
And still taking rec’s
keep that citizen in your sights, I’ve got mine on today, perfect weekend beater

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2020, 12:06:07 AM »
I have a question for all you watch nerds out there.
I really like the design of the Omega Seamaster and watches that look a like (I think they are called diving watches). Obviously I can´t pay 1000s of euros for a watch and I honestly don´t know anything about watches. I understand that there are some nice cheaper versions from the likes of Seiko or Citizen, but my problem is that my wrist is super small. I think any diving watch would just look ridicolous on it. Are there alternatives in a similar design that are just smaller or do they need to be that big because of the technology that´s in it?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2020, 12:35:39 AM »
A lot of people are addicted to their smartphones, but I choose to serve my Garmin 645M smartwatch and please it with daily activity.

My coworker is into watches (well, several of them) and he explained to me that watches are so heavily marketed towards men, because it is probably the only piece of jewelry that any man would wear.

Also, anyone who is not into watches like myself needs to hear this: don't buy fashion brand smartwatches, they are medium priced shit. Wife got a good job and treated herself to a CK watch that ended up costing her twice as much in repair cost after the warranty ran our in a year.

Zephyr-Cum

• DIE
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2020, 12:44:30 AM »
My coworker is into watches (well, several of them) and he explained to me that watches are so heavily marketed towards men, because it is probably the only piece of jewelry that any man would wear.

They're a lot like cars. A bit of flash to flex power muscles.

"Shalom".

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2020, 03:15:54 AM »
I really like the design of the Omega Seamaster and watches that look a like (I think they are called diving watches). Obviously I can´t pay 1000s of euros for a watch and I honestly don´t know anything about watches. I understand that there are some nice cheaper versions from the likes of Seiko or Citizen, but my problem is that my wrist is super small. I think any diving watch would just look ridicolous on it. Are there alternatives in a similar design that are just smaller or do they need to be that big because of the technology that´s in it?

seamasters come in 36mm too which is labeled as the “unisex” or boys version but is basically perfect for smaller wrists imho. But yeah, you don’t want to drop that much if you know nothing about watches (having said that, if you got one, you’d probably never need another watch).

Can you measure your wrist circumference for me? My wrist isn’t huge either so watches (or more specifically dive watches) in the 36-38mm realm are perfect for me. I can go up to around 40 depending on the lug to lug width, if it’s short you can sometimes get away with wearing something bigger. I’ll try and take some more pics to explain and give you some recommendations, please give me a measurement in the meantime.

Also, how much are you willing to spend on said watch? This will also be an important factor when coming up with options for you. Straight off my head I’m thinking Seiko SKX013 at the lower end or a Rado Captain Cook 37mm or maybe even Oris Divers 65 in 36mm once we get to entry level luxury models. A few micro brands out there too that are also coming to mind.

Also, have you considered wearing a field watch? They don’t have the bezel like a dive watch, but they are usually smaller in size. Look up the Seiko 5 SNK series, great first automatic watch and the size is absolutely perfect for small wrists. I’ll try and wear mine sometime later this week as snap a pic for ya 8)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:05:28 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2020, 03:27:42 AM »
Also, anyone who is not into watches like myself needs to hear this: don't buy fashion brand smartwatches, they are medium priced shit.
This advice isn’t just true for smart watches, fashion watches are a huge waste of money. Daniel Wellington watches probably cost like $20 to produce and the sell for up to $300.
Lol, for $300 you could get a Swiss made Hamilton or a Seiko diver whose movement alone would be worth more fully assembled DW. Both the Seiko and the Hammy would probably last you at least a good 20 years too

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2020, 03:53:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Also, anyone who is not into watches like myself needs to hear this: don't buy fashion brand smartwatches, they are medium priced shit.
[close]
This advice isn’t just true for smart watches, fashion watches are a huge waste of money. Daniel Wellington watches probably cost like $20 to produce and the sell for up to $300.
Lol, for $300 you could get a Swiss made Hamilton or a Seiko diver whose movement alone would be worth more fully assembled DW. Both the Seiko and the Hammy would probably last you at least a good 20 years too

Yeah, I made a big typo - I meant regular deisgner watches. AFAIK, designer band smartwatches are just as good any other, since they all use the same hardware (Wear OS).

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2020, 04:04:18 AM »
Got the rollie. Hyped.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2020, 04:05:45 AM »
Got the rollie. Hyped.
fuck yes! Pics!!!!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2020, 04:42:56 AM »
Expand Quote
And still taking rec’s
[close]
keep that citizen in your sights, I’ve got mine on today, perfect weekend beater
the ny0040? Yeah I have. Wife kind of likes the “Seiko” name and look a bit more I think.. showed her quick. But the skx being discontinued is a little annoying. First time went to go through first hand seller ... saw this
Citizen Men's Watch Promaster Ny0040-09Ee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006FL77E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fFwQEb5TFJD9Q

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2020, 04:46:46 AM »
The ny0040 is very 90s in its look so if you or the wife aren’t into that it might look at tad ugly. Have you had a look at some Seiko Mimi turtles? You could probably pick one up for the same price as a SKX now that the prices have gone up. P.s. $250 is pricey for the citizen but that’s what happens when models aren’t in production anymore...

Edit: fuck, mini turtles cost a lot in the US, I can get them here for just over $250 USD

Edit 2: can I know your absolute maximum budget? You can PM if you aren’t comfortable talking about those things on here but the Seiko SPR775 is another watch that springs to mind that I think would be a  good fit for you. It might be a tad over what you are willing to spend but SKXs are going for nearly $300 (wait, Long Island is selling them for 320+) these days which is ridiculous 😂
I’d actually consider a 5kx if you’re going to fork at that much; it has SKX DNA plus a better movement.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:01:39 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2020, 05:10:17 AM »
The ny0040 is very 90s in its look so if you or the wife aren’t into that it might look at tad ugly. Have you had a look at some Seiko Mimi turtles? You could probably pick one up for the same price as a SKX not that the prices have gone up. P.s. $250 is pricey for the citizen but that’s what happens when models aren’t in production anymore...

Edit: fuck, mini turtles cost a lot in the US, I can get them here for just over $250 USD
didnt realize you aren’t in US! Yeah they’re jacked up lol
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:15:01 AM by jay_nev »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2020, 05:20:50 AM »
Expand Quote
The ny0040 is very 90s in its look so if you or the wife aren’t into that it might look at tad ugly. Have you had a look at some Seiko Mimi turtles? You could probably pick one up for the same price as a SKX not that the prices have gone up. P.s. $250 is pricey for the citizen but that’s what happens when models aren’t in production anymore...

[close]
didnt realize you aren’t in US! Yeah they’re jacked up lol
yeah, I’m in the land of Seiko son! 🇯🇵
Jay, check this out:

https://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-prospex-299/seiko-prospex-turtle-automatic-divers-200m-srp775-srp775j1-srp775j-mens-watch-8364.html?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4re9oc-N6QIVVHZgCh2hAgTeEAQYAiABEgJQY_D_BwE

Certified prospex cheaper than an SKX🤔
That’s a bargain right there!

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2020, 07:41:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

seamasters come in 36mm too which is labeled as the “unisex” or boys version but is basically perfect for smaller wrists imho. But yeah, you don’t want to drop that much if you know nothing about watches (having said that, if you got one, you’d probably never need another watch).

Can you measure your wrist circumference for me? My wrist isn’t huge either so watches (or more specifically dive watches) in the 36-38mm realm are perfect for me. I can go up to around 40 depending on the lug to lug width, if it’s short you can sometimes get away with wearing something bigger. I’ll try and take some more pics to explain and give you some recommendations, please give me a measurement in the meantime.

Also, how much are you willing to spend on said watch? This will also be an important factor when coming up with options for you. Straight off my head I’m thinking Seiko SKX013 at the lower end or a Rado Captain Cook 37mm or maybe even Oris Divers 65 in 36mm once we get to entry level luxury models. A few micro brands out there too that are also coming to mind.

Also, have you considered wearing a field watch? They don’t have the bezel like a dive watch, but they are usually smaller in size. Look up the Seiko 5 SNK series, great first automatic watch and the size is absolutely perfect for small wrists. I’ll try and wear mine sometime later this week as snap a pic for ya 8)

Woah thanks for all the info and recommendations! Just measured my wrist and it´s 17cm. My budget would definitely be on the lower end, I´d say 200-400 euros. Also I have been considering buying one for some time now, but I m not sure if I d really pull the trigger. These SEIKO 5 SNKs look very nice as well.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2020, 04:25:50 PM »
Congrats man, that is so classic and timeless - it looks perfect on ya. Enjoy it!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2020, 05:28:08 PM »
Classy AF! Guess all your other watches are going to be jealous of all the wrist time this will get.

Asian Vegan> answer to your question is easy for me: Rolex Milsub hands down! They go for at least 100,000 though 😱 if it was fully serviced with seals etc. replaced I’d have no qualms making that my “exit watch”!

In other watch skate news:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_lHWMQnSTw/?igshid=10b7nwyyc8djd
Not really sure if Matt is rocking an Omega here but whatever it is, it’s on a Nato which made me smile because Hensley has always had such classic style/ taste!

Zephyr-Cum

• DIE
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2020, 08:31:50 PM »
Guess all your other watches are going to be jealous of all the wrist time this will get.

You really like watches, don't you?

I think pocket watches are cooler, plus you can skate with them. That's real class. Pipes, too. And let's not forget about the alarm clock on a dookie chain. There is no better feeling than buying a Bentleywhile looking like a complete douche.

"Shalom".

TooOldToCare

• Rep: -53
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2020, 08:35:04 PM »
My girl bought me a sweet Tag Heuer about 15 years ago but I havent worn it in years.  Got a nice Phillip Stein and some big fuckin clunky Burberry blackout watch she bought me as well back years ago I always catch shit from her for having 3 nice watches and not ever wearing them.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2020, 10:25:46 PM »
 I wanna put the air king on a nice distressed leather strap for some occasions. I found one online that i really like but it only comes in 20mm. Lug width is 19mm. I think it will fit anyway. Any experience on that?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2020, 11:12:40 PM »
You can squish it a bit, or maybe sand it down at the lugs with some grip tape but I’d rather wear a 19mm on 20mm lugs as opposed to your situation. Having said that, it’s 1mm spread across each lug, so like board width etc. it’s only really 0.5 of a mm on each side which isn’t that much in the scheme of things, could be a bit of pain when trying to remove it. I’m guessing you’ll be ordering the strap online?

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2020, 11:19:30 PM »
You can squish it a bit, or maybe sand it down at the lugs with some grip tape but I’d rather wear a 19mm on 20mm lugs as opposed to your situation. Having said that, it’s 1mm spread across each lug, so like board width etc. it’s only really 0.5 of a mm on each side which isn’t that much in the scheme of things, could be a bit of pain when trying to remove it. I’m guessing you’ll be ordering the strap online?
Yeah but i just realised there is a 18mm version of said strap. Might as well just get that.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2020, 11:20:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah but i just realised there is a 18mm version of said strap. Might as well just get that.
what about this place?
https://www.vintagestraps.it/product-tag/19mm/

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »

I think pocket watches are cooler, plus you can skate with them.
yes, I like watches,
hence why I’m posting in the watch thread. Crazy concept huh?
Nothing wrong with pocket watches, but why do you think you can’t skate with a wrist watch on?

TooOldToCare

• Rep: -53
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2020, 12:42:49 AM »
Expand Quote

I think pocket watches are cooler, plus you can skate with them.
[close]
yes, I like watches,
hence why I’m posting in the watch thread. Crazy concept huh?
Nothing wrong with pocket watches, but why do you think you can’t skate with a wrist watch on?

Shit I totally forgot that a few years back my mom passed over my grandfathers sterling silver pocket watch to me and I put it away for safe keeping.  Thing is around a century old, super fucking cool, only thing I have to remember my grandfather who sadly killed himself long before I came into this world.  Gonna get it repaired one day so it actually works again.