Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45272 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Watches
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
@pica the crown on the Lorier doesn’t get in the way! As for the no date, I didn’t think I’d be able to do it either but no date watches are just so clean and balanced. Want to know what it was really good for? Just a watch you could chuck on, set the time quickly (no day/ date or am/ pm) and go! Perfect weekend/ holiday watch, although I did used to wear mine to work too! The timex has the heritage and I’m not totally opposed to having one quartz in the collection, and if you do have a quartz it’s probably better to have one with a date, at least that way it’s always on the right date no? That’s why I wouldn’t mind a quartz GSAR
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:51:05 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »
You got me hooked on BAs watch game.

No idea what this is, although it looks a little bit like the nixon „player“.

This could be a michael kors:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFXbecRJBQb/?igshid=1v9o8s3r87l6p

BA pulling a rare one: the one handed norman schwarzkopf.(aka the fidel castro)
Pretty sure the blue one is a swatch.

Holy shit in a time where free lunch / nine club/ skatehoarders / my war .... you name it exists we need a web show on skaters watches. I‘d call it Wristguard.

At least a jenkem article. Ian make it happen.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:26:06 PM by pica »

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #272 on: October 18, 2020, 12:19:04 PM »
Koston had a signature gshock...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #273 on: October 18, 2020, 09:21:03 PM »
@pica funny, I thought the pink-ish watch might have been some vintage citizen but if it is indeed a fashion watch (MK), we need to give BA a makeover! At first I thought the square watch was a Cartier too but if he is indeed in fashion watch exile, then maybe it's just some cheap rip off which makes me feel dirty...

funny you mention skaters and their watches, do you remember the thread about Malto rocking a Tudor or Submariner?
Can't remember who, but someone posted an article/ interview in there about Rune Gilfberg and his watch collection which I can't seem to find anymore. He's a massive watch nerd with a nice collection!

Don't remember that Koston watch but loving seeing when old Diakka posts pop up on insta, those things were pretty gaudy and very influence heavy if you know what I mean?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:44:09 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2020, 10:46:43 PM »

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2020, 06:36:57 PM »

TumYeto - 2003ish
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2020, 07:43:46 PM »
@Joust Ostrich thats cool, who made their watches? The circle F is a great little tie in with their logo and the fact that old military watches used to have a circle and a T to indicate that the lume was made from tritium.
Is this someone’s pro model?

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »
I don't know who made them.  Just says "Japan Movement  Stainless Steel Back  Base  Metal Bezel"  "Foundation Super Co" on the back.

No pro model, they just had 3, blue, black, and red.  I remember I ordered 2 of each, and hung on to this one.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2020, 06:36:59 AM »
That’s cool, I’m guessing the Japanese movement is just referring to them being quartz (unless they’ve got miyota or Seiko movements inside them). Kinda interesting they went with a dive watch design, but I guess it shows that it’s such a integral design/ DNA when it comes to modern watches. I could see Duffel rocking the red one!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGpVQp4HcSf/?igshid=ehphulsfy13p
This thing steals so much wrist time, just got the shark mesh sized up and ready to rock!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2020, 08:23:33 PM »

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2020, 05:46:13 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGyau66HmLi/?igshid=slfy2yxv0f71

Beefy skate watch.

The skate x watch talk has me thinking back to Diakka. Did any of you ever own one? My hunch is they were in the fashion/novelty watch caetgory and not actually quality. But damn if I don't picture Muska DJing when I think of them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2020, 07:20:32 AM »
Cheers, I never owned a Diakka and they were all quartz from memory, but they were ahead of the game, the guys who started it must have been watch heads too because their influences were defined being worn on their sleeves.

Funny that Rune rode for them too and ended up being a huge watch nerd. I’d owned watches before, but some of the original Nixon designs are what started me down the rabbit hole actually so we all have to start somewhere right?

I see Diakka ads/ pics pop up quite a lot on insta lately, they were probably huge in terms of dimensions but I wouldn’t mind owning one now, at least from a skate history perspective. Like Nixon though, they were super pricey for what they were...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:48:26 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: October 26, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »
Nixon has some swiss automatic models that
Are around 1k....

And i think you can still order some diakka watches
Through their website.

Also i orderd a cheap aftermarket bracelet for my seiko as recommended in this
Video.

http://youtu.be/2JigDabF9X0

So for a total of roughly 130 you get a great everyday
watch. Also the dude hosting the video looks like david duchovny.

Skoldbergscones

« Reply #283 on: October 26, 2020, 02:26:09 PM »
Nice, that Seiko 5 looks classy af. 

I'm a fan of that guy's vids. Good down to earth reviews.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: October 26, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »
Yeah. I also really enjoy the urban gentry chanel

http://youtu.be/dZsRPdSvgj4

Also that marc gebauer guy keeps me
Entertained.

http://youtu.be/neBvjyERNdw

Also the rune diakka model is on ebay for 50 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diakka-Rune-Glifberg-Skateboard-Watch-1998-RARE-Flip-Chad-Muska-Clyde-Singleton/193724184556?hash=item2d1adc77ec:g:omMAAOSwqDJfZ76Y
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 04:11:29 PM by pica »

Skoldbergscones

« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2020, 06:00:13 AM »
That Rune watch is tempting for the sake of nostalgia!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2020, 06:49:11 AM »
Nice Seiko 5 @pica , I have enough points on an online shopping site over here to just buy one outright, the grey looks nice but as per usual I have too many watches. Good to see you guys like TGV, he can lay it on a bit thick but he's good for the most part.
I was really into Armand the watch guy for a minute, he is super knowledgable, must be hard to stand out from the pack these days though, lots of YouTube watch guys these days.
http://youtu.be/CB0SnnDjXzU

As per usual, I'm in love with my seamaster 36mm and not much else is getting wrist time although I did take my vintage Rado out for a spin over the weekend! nearly straight swapped my limited sinn for a blue Tudor black bay 36 but the dude pulled out at the last minute... kinda bummed on that one!

I though about buying that Diakka but it's probably 44mm :(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:48:22 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2020, 01:15:35 AM »
Anyone remember these? I vaguely remember the Neil Blender ones:
https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/accessories

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2020, 05:39:58 AM »
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 02:18:55 PM by pica »

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #289 on: October 29, 2020, 02:54:39 PM »
Anyone remember these? I vaguely remember the Neil Blender ones:
https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/accessories

I bought the 3 dogs one.  Haven't opened it yet though.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #290 on: October 30, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »

Been eyeing this for a while.  It's solar powered.  Normally $205, on sale for $81.  It's a 43mm, which may be a little big for me though.  Any opinions?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »

Been eyeing this for a while.  It's solar powered.  Normally $205, on sale for $81.  It's a 43mm, which may be a little big for me though.  Any opinions?
can't see the image, what's the reference for the watch?

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #292 on: October 30, 2020, 07:55:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seiko SNE331

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/seiko-mens-solar-beige-nylon-strap-watch-43mm-sne331?ID=1288429&CategoryID=65993&isDlp=true

Acky Jacky

« Reply #293 on: October 31, 2020, 08:07:52 AM »
I won this watch a year or so ago via a trivia/contest from The Bunt Live. https://chpobrand.com/product/nando-betong.

I guess it’s kind of a cheapo watch, but it looks nice. It’s not very comfortable. Ignorant question, are watches ever comfortable? I believe I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome which doesn’t help.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: October 31, 2020, 12:04:49 PM »
I won this watch a year or so ago via a trivia/contest from The Bunt Live. https://chpobrand.com/product/nando-betong.

I guess it’s kind of a cheapo watch, but it looks nice. It’s not very comfortable. Ignorant question, are watches ever comfortable? I believe I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome which doesn’t help.

Yeah i think watches feel great on the wrist. For me it feels weird not to wear one.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Seiko SNE331

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/seiko-mens-solar-beige-nylon-strap-watch-43mm-sne331?ID=1288429&CategoryID=65993&isDlp=true
nice looking field watch, 43mm is pretty damn big though and I can’t vouch for the quality of those solar models. Have you ever owned a Seiko 5? Probably get one for a similar price. What size is your wrist?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: October 31, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »

will depend on a few factors:

- the watch size in ratio to wrist size, it looks to be 40mm which is quite big for a dial especially if it doesn’t have a bezel. How big is your wrist?

- where you actually wear it on your wrist, is it above or below that little round bone that sticks up on your wrist? If it’s below, it’s highly likely it will dig into your wrist.

- how tight do you wear it? General rule of thumb: you should be able to fit one whole finger between your strap and your wrist. Some like it tighter/ looser, but that generally works for me because it’s stays where it should.

- the position of the crown; yours is it 3 o’clock so it might dig into your wrist if your watch sits too low. 4 o’clock (and 8 o’clock) crowns give you a lot more range of movement. I’m wearing a 42mm citizen ny0040 as we speak and even though it’s the MAX I can go in terms of size, the 8 o’clock crown means it never gets in the way.

- the shape of the lugs, do they curve down and conform to wrist, or is the watch relatively flat? Like a skateboard’s wheelbase, lug to lug length will greatly affect how the watch wears on your wrist. Too long and it’s going to be hanging off the edges of your wrists and creating unwanted negative space.

For me 36 - 38mm watches work best on my wrist, my wrist is round so I like my lugs curved and while I do like a 4 or 8 o’clock crown, it isn’t really a huge factor because I wear my watches a tad higher on my wrist and don’t let them slip down to where they interfere with my range of movement.

Type of strap is also a huge factor, some bracelets/ straps simply aren’t comfortable. Maybe try sticking it on a Nato if you want to improve the comfort factor?

As @pica said, when you’ve got a watch that fits just right, it doesn’t even feel like you’re wearing it. I guess, like rings and other jewelry/ accessories, it does take a minute to get used if you haven’t worn one up until now. If I leave the house without a watch ... wait, no that never actually happens  ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:25:56 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Acky Jacky

« Reply #297 on: November 04, 2020, 07:32:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

- the watch size in ratio to wrist size, it looks to be 40mm which is quite big for a dial especially if it doesn’t have a bezel. How big is your wrist?

- where you actually wear it on your wrist, is it above or below that little round bone that sticks up on your wrist? If it’s below, it’s highly likely it will dig into your wrist.

- how tight do you wear it? General rule of thumb: you should be able to fit one whole finger between your strap and your wrist. Some like it tighter/ looser, but that generally works for me because it’s stays where it should.

- the position of the crown; yours is it 3 o’clock so it might dig into your wrist if your watch sits too low. 4 o’clock (and 8 o’clock) crowns give you a lot more range of movement. I’m wearing a 42mm citizen ny0040 as we speak and even though it’s the MAX I can go in terms of size, the 8 o’clock crown means it never gets in the way.

- the shape of the lugs, do they curve down and conform to wrist, or is the watch relatively flat? Like a skateboard’s wheelbase, lug to lug length will greatly affect how the watch wears on your wrist. Too long and it’s going to be hanging off the edges of your wrists and creating unwanted negative space.

For me 36 - 38mm watches work best on my wrist, my wrist is round so I like my lugs curved and while I do like a 4 or 8 o’clock crown, it isn’t really a huge factor because I wear my watches a tad higher on my wrist and don’t let them slip down to where they interfere with my range of movement.

Type of strap is also a huge factor, some bracelets/ straps simply aren’t comfortable. Maybe try sticking it on a Nato if you want to improve the comfort factor?

As @pica said, when you’ve got a watch that fits just right, it doesn’t even feel like you’re wearing it. I guess, like rings and other jewelry/ accessories, it does take a minute to get used if you haven’t worn one up until now. If I leave the house without a watch ... wait, no that never actually happens  ;D

I want to thank you for your response. I haven’t had time to reply to everything you said, but appreciate the insight.

I made an adjustment so that the band fits more snugly around my wrist and doesn’t fall below the bone you mentioned. I had a Seiko watch with a leather band that I wore for years, which I found to be more comfortable. I’m also ambidextrous which may contribute to my apprehension of watches. I wear it on my right wrist because my motor skills are in my left hand (eating, writing), but I throw a ball and carry heavier bags on my right. Now I’m overthinking it.

P.S. I think what originally interested in me in watches at all (besides when Nixon was kinda big in skateboarding when I was a kid), was in the afterword for The Autobiography of Malcolm X where he expressed “I have less patience with someone who doesn't wear a watch than with anyone else, for this type is not time-conscious.”
I’ve always been a super punctual person by nature, are any of you watch heads the same way?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:42:01 AM by Acky Jacky »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #298 on: November 04, 2020, 07:44:47 PM »
No problem whatsoever, glad you got something out of it! Leather straps will tend to form to your wrist better and thus why you probably found the Seiko more comfortable. Metal bracelets are quite hit and miss for me and it wasn’t until I got to buying mid-tier pieces that I really “got” just how comfortable they could be. The wrist you wear your watch on will come down to personal preference; I’m right handed and wear mine on my left which is pretty standard but there are lots of exceptions.

I’m pretty punctual but not down to the second, otherwise I’d get a grand Seiko quartz. I first really got into watches because one of my old managers that I really respected said it’s a bit of faux par in business to wear a suit without relatively nice watch and I think what he meant by that is that watches really accentuate whatever it is your wearing and thus you should choose your watch based on what you’re wearing. That’s a nice quote though!

So nyjah is now sponsored by bvlgari, pretty crazy sponsor to have as a skater but I probably wouldn’t turn them back if they came knocking at my door.

Also, Sean Connery passed the other day and he is pretty much solely responsible for popularizing the whole Nato on a diver trend so yesterday I rocked this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHJapk3Lyzc/?igshid=k814y8shhofu
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:13:43 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #299 on: November 05, 2020, 01:24:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I want to thank you for your response. I haven’t had time to reply to everything you said, but appreciate the insight.

I made an adjustment so that the band fits more snugly around my wrist and doesn’t fall below the bone you mentioned. I had a Seiko watch with a leather band that I wore for years, which I found to be more comfortable. I’m also ambidextrous which may contribute to my apprehension of watches. I wear it on my right wrist because my motor skills are in my left hand (eating, writing), but I throw a ball and carry heavier bags on my right. Now I’m overthinking it.

P.S. I think what originally interested in me in watches at all (besides when Nixon was kinda big in skateboarding when I was a kid), was in the afterword for The Autobiography of Malcolm X where he expressed “I have less patience with someone who doesn't wear a watch than with anyone else, for this type is not time-conscious.”
I’ve always been a super punctual person by nature, are any of you watch heads the same way?

This is a great quote!

My boss is generally 30 mins-2 hours late for every meeting (even the ones that he schedules) and me and my colleagues often joke that we should buy him a watch as a gift as a not so subtle hint, but we know he would become irrational and tell us about how his time is more valuable than ours as he often does and he would never wear the watch and continue to be late.

As for your original post about watch comfort, It was very challenging when I first got a watch with a metal bracelet because it felt heavy and I had it one link too long at first, but now that it's sized properly and I'm more used to it, I feel weird without it. Also, my other watch has a nato strap and I like that to be a little looser on my wrist than the bracelet so figuring that out the 2 watches are not 1:1 but rather different things helped too.