Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45240 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Watches
« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2021, 04:59:18 PM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #571 on: November 21, 2021, 03:50:50 PM »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #572 on: November 22, 2021, 03:48:07 AM »
That one's sick. I'd like something like that.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #573 on: November 22, 2021, 05:15:45 AM »
That one's sick. I'd like something like that.
cheers, you can pick them up for a relatively reasonable price too, I paid under $150 for this which is a crazy bargain! Only 17 jewels, but it literally runs like clock work and is keeping really good time considering it’s age!

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #574 on: November 22, 2021, 05:19:51 AM »
I love that last one Imp, nice and simple design. I picked up a cheap iTech Duo with an activity tracker and an analog face from Walmart for $9.

I'd love to get another type of hybrid more gear towards backwoods and backpacking. But it has to have the analog face inorder for me to be interested.

I'm becoming nostalgic for the low tech of my younger years.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #575 on: November 23, 2021, 06:53:36 PM »
Thanks @LandonPrimo its amazing how some designs almost become timeless, Seiko could probably drop the same watch in 2021!

I know nothing about hybrid watches unfortunately …

In other watch news, Hamilton just dropped this!
https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/latest-watches/products/hamilton-watch-khaki-aviation-pilot-pioneer-h76205530
38mm case and see-through case back, that is one sexy pilot watch!!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 05:17:25 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #576 on: December 29, 2021, 12:29:56 PM »
This might end up being a passing notion, but thought I'd throw it over to you watch enthusiasts. I'm on the brink of doing a biz deal, nothing massive, but been years in the making. I've never been a regular watch wearer, but considering getting something to mark the occasion. Indulgent, but not too indulgent, you know? Again, I don't really know anything, but was looking at Omega moon watch or a Rolex explorer. Vintage presumably. Something fancy enough that I can do meetings and not look like a scrub. Totally down for a visibly used/old watch. What should I look at, and where would I buy? I know it's vague, but any advise? It'd be extra nice if its something that I could easily re-sell in the future.

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #577 on: January 10, 2022, 04:03:09 PM »
This might end up being a passing notion, but thought I'd throw it over to you watch enthusiasts. I'm on the brink of doing a biz deal, nothing massive, but been years in the making. I've never been a regular watch wearer, but considering getting something to mark the occasion. Indulgent, but not too indulgent, you know? Again, I don't really know anything, but was looking at Omega moon watch or a Rolex explorer. Vintage presumably. Something fancy enough that I can do meetings and not look like a scrub. Totally down for a visibly used/old watch. What should I look at, and where would I buy? I know it's vague, but any advise? It'd be extra nice if its something that I could easily re-sell in the future.

Hey mate, buying a watch to mark something meaningful is a great idea. Out of the Speedmaster and the Explorer, I'd go the Speedy. I'm not totally across the vintage Rolex market, but I've heard Explorer prices are off the charts at the moment. There are plenty of used Speedmasters around, depending on your budget and where you are you'll be able to find one. They are definitely not cheap, but I'd say better value.

You could look at chrono24 to get a bit of a feel for prices, it's a global site and can be hit and miss but will help you get started. Once you know what you want you can try to find a seller closer to home.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: January 10, 2022, 09:34:31 PM »
congrats first and foremost! both will give you good milage (and resale).
first thing I will do is ask your wrist size. also, is the watch likely to get wet? if so, the omega is out of the question.
the explorer is the king (pun intended) of the GADA (go anywhere do anything) watches, hence it’s name.
Tudor black bay 36 also gives it a good run for its money; many will sneer and say it will never be a Rolex which is partially true if you care about that sort of thing, I still think the black bay is a great contender though and fall in love with mine every time I wear it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ZDUngvTLk&t=9s

Brand wise, I personally prefer Omega ... a Rolex is more likely to increase in value over time though. You can basically wear it for 5+ years and still sell it for the same amount, or more than you bought it for, if you choose wisely.
Where you buy it is a whole other topic, but if you're going to drop that sort of $ maybe somewhere local that can verify everything for you? Chrono 24 for online maybe? All their shit is legit/ verified so would be harder to buy a fake.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 05:42:53 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

artskool

« Reply #579 on: January 11, 2022, 11:40:46 AM »
Thanks guys! I definitely feel like I might be falling into the wormhole of watches, though I do keep thinking I might be happier dropping the dollars on a guitar since playing music is more fun than looking at what time it is. Seems kind of sketchy that the Speedys aren't waterproof. I wouldn't be swimming in it anyway, but sometimes when I'm camping everything does end up wet. I am gravitating more to an Omega though than the Rolex just given how hard it seems to be to buy one.

I was looking back at the earlier pages of this thread and that Speedmaster Reduced might be calling my name. I'm a smaller guy, looks like it might be perfect.

Any experiences buying internationally off Chrono 24?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #580 on: January 11, 2022, 02:00:15 PM »
Thanks guys! I definitely feel like I might be falling into the wormhole of watches, though I do keep thinking I might be happier dropping the dollars on a guitar since playing music is more fun than looking at what time it is. Seems kind of sketchy that the Speedys aren't waterproof. I wouldn't be swimming in it anyway, but sometimes when I'm camping everything does end up wet. I am gravitating more to an Omega though than the Rolex just given how hard it seems to be to buy one.

I was looking back at the earlier pages of this thread and that Speedmaster Reduced might be calling my name. I'm a smaller guy, looks like it might be perfect.

speed master reduced is a dope watch; there’s two versions too and the one with the stronger/ solid clasp and sapphire crystal has increased water resistance. Personally I like hesalite because of the warmth it gives the dial and also because you can easily polish scratches out. Can defs recommend!
3510.50 is the OG whereas the 3539.50 is the one with the upgraded clasp and sapphire. There’s also lots of cool limited edition colors like the the panda dial or this one I’m currently drooling over … https://www.instagram.com/p/CCyF97zn24z/?utm_medium=copy_link
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 02:07:35 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #581 on: January 11, 2022, 02:14:59 PM »

Speedmasters are definitely waterproof, not sure what you mean about not getting it wet GISM? It's not a diver, and I wouldn't swim in it if I didn't have to, but I've never heard of any issues with them getting wet.

If you can, try on both so you can compare the size and feel. They are different watches, the reduced isn't just a smaller version of the professional.

I haven't bought of Chrono24, I've heard of good experiences but also horror stories. Where are you based?

artskool

« Reply #582 on: January 11, 2022, 04:35:51 PM »
Generally I'd hesitate to buy stuff like this online from overseas, but I've never had any issues with buying from stores based in Japan. Japanese vintage store stuff is nicer and cleaner than most things are here, new.

Kind of fun to have some other weird thing to obsess over.

I'm in Providence, RI.

Expand Quote

[close]

Speedmasters are definitely waterproof, not sure what you mean about not getting it wet GISM? It's not a diver, and I wouldn't swim in it if I didn't have to, but I've never heard of any issues with them getting wet.

If you can, try on both so you can compare the size and feel. They are different watches, the reduced isn't just a smaller version of the professional.

I haven't bought of Chrono24, I've heard of good experiences but also horror stories. Where are you based?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #583 on: January 11, 2022, 04:49:58 PM »
Just want to say that fake watch buster IG account is the best thing I’ve seen online this year.  So many dudes getting called out, it’s beautiful.  Also, I know some of those celebs, influencers, whatever have dough.. but fucking J Balvin and Drake with watches that cost 3-5 MILLION?  Sheeeesh.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #584 on: January 11, 2022, 07:43:48 PM »

not debating that they aren't waterproof, but as a GADA watch (personally) I'd be aiming for something that could take a dip if need be without the worry of remembering the last time the seals were checked. The 3539.50 has 100m water resistance fyi.

As Pica said though, the reduced isn't simply a mid-size version of the pro, it has an automatic as opposed to hand-wound movt. , the dial layout is a little bit different and the pushers on the side are staggered to accommodate the piggyback movement. Again, personally I prefer the reduced but that's just my own biases (and small wrists) talking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnyBuVW1tlo
(↑a good breakdown of the reduced vs the pro)

Can I throw a spanner in the works and maybe suggest you also look at the 38mm coaxial speedmaster? It has a date (bonus points for putting at the 6 o'clock position too), modern movement, comes in a variety of colors and the size is still small enough to accommodate smaller wrists. Power reserve is 52 hours and it also has 100m wr. Not a bad alternative really. I guess it’s DNA strays a bit from the OG pro but certainly affordable if you were thinking about dropping scrilla on an explorer.

Generally I'd hesitate to buy stuff like this online from overseas, but I've never had any issues with buying from stores based in Japan. Japanese vintage store stuff is nicer and cleaner than most things are here, new.
yes!!!! the 2nd hand watch market here is a goldmine in terms of the condition of watches. The Japanese really know how to look after their timepieces.

Just want to say that fake watch buster IG account is the best thing I’ve seen online this year.  So many dudes getting called out, it’s beautiful.  Also, I know some of those celebs, influencers, whatever have dough.. but fucking J Balvin and Drake with watches that cost 3-5 MILLION?  Sheeeesh.
it's pretty good huh? imagine dropping that amount on a watch and not even going through an authorized dealer LOL
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:28:46 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

artskool

« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »
Yikes, yeah I'm looking at that coaxial speedmaster now too. The more I look (given that I'm only like a week into even looking at watches) the more I'm interested in value, etc. vs being fancy, which in some ways is the opposite of my first thoughts about watches. I can see how you guys get sucked in.

I'm pretty tempted to pull the trigger on a slightly dinged up  speedmaster auto from Japan. I have a feeling that after I have that for a while, I'll have stronger opinions about all this stuff and will know if I want to go off the deep end with all this.

Or maybe a Seamaster. Or... I do like that Tudor you mentioned is super nice, but their brand name doesn't vibe with me for whatever reason. I don't like Tudor architecture. Who knows.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: January 12, 2022, 06:09:43 PM »
Speedy reduced from Japan will scratch your itch (they have been going up in price too so they’ll keep their value). I don’t like fancy watches either; I like them simple, tough and to serve their main purpose. They need to go under the radar with t-shirt/ jeans, but still be able to hold their own in a suit (Tudor black bay and speedy both do this easily). That’s actually why I like Tudor: you’re not trying to be that guy flexing your Rolex, but you get Rolex quality in the finishing. The movements for most Tudor aren’t in-house either so you can get them serviced anywhere and aren’t locked into being a slave of the dealer.
Tudor actually has a rich history, but it’s kind of a watch-nerd brand like Oris or Sinn — if you’re into watches, you know they rock, otherwise you’d probably have no clue they even existed!

Another spanner: have you seen Rolex 14000 (in blue) or other air kings? They are actually my fav Rolex.

Speedy reduced though is super versatile: looks boss on the bracelet, gets military vibes on a nato and can easily blend in with whatever you’re wearing. See if you can find one where the lume is starting to patina. Will try and find a pic…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVxeJ6rs685/?utm_medium=copy_link

Check the cream on those hour markers!!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 07:21:33 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

artskool

« Reply #587 on: January 12, 2022, 07:43:09 PM »
Dang, I do like that Air King with the blue or black face. I'm just discovering the concept of watch servicing. It scares me.

Speedy reduced from Japan will scratch your itch (they have been going up in price too so they’ll keep their value). I don’t like fancy watches either; I like them simple, tough and to serve their main purpose. They need to go under the radar with t-shirt/ jeans, but still be able to hold their own in a suit (Tudor black bay and speedy both do this easily). That’s actually why I like Tudor: you’re not trying to be that guy flexing your Rolex, but you get Rolex quality in the finishing. The movements for most Tudor aren’t in-house either so you can get them serviced anywhere and aren’t locked into being a slave of the dealer.
Tudor actually has a rich history, but it’s kind of a watch-nerd brand like Oris or Sinn — if you’re into watches, you know they rock, otherwise you’d probably have no clue they even existed!

Another spanner: have you seen Rolex 14000 (in blue) or other air kings? They are actually my fav Rolex.

Speedy reduced though is super versatile: looks boss on the bracelet, gets military vibes on a nato and can easily blend in with whatever you’re wearing. See if you can find one where the lume is starting to patina. Will try and find a pic…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVxeJ6rs685/?utm_medium=copy_link

Check the cream on those hour markers!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: January 12, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »
hahaha, yeah avoid in-house/ super complicated movements. It's not that bad though, it's only maybe once every 5 - 10 years in the scheme of things (less if you have some other watches in your collection).
You've got me lusting after my old speedy reduced...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 11:41:07 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

geezer

• Rep: 36
« Reply #589 on: January 14, 2022, 08:21:53 AM »

I bought a watch from Japan on Chrono24.  Shipped quickly, but when it got here, the chronograph function didn't work.  filed for the return, shipped it back at no cost to me, got the refund because Chrono24 was still holding my money in escrow.  Pretty painless, took a couple of weeks total.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: January 19, 2022, 06:28:28 PM »
Thought about selling my Tag
https://www.instagram.com/p/CY6fjJgrpr0/?utm_medium=copy_link
Maybe not though…

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #591 on: January 20, 2022, 02:43:43 PM »
So my wifes cousin asked me about buying her first watch, she either wanted to buy a daniel wellington or a FOSSIL.

I had some serious watch talk with her and could prevent this tragedy. I told her why to aviod fashion watches and how there are multiple brands with legit heritage and history in any price range and how ther is a great watch for every budget starting from a f91W up to rolex and omegas.

I did recommend her some NOMOS and junghans watches, yet her budget shouldnt break the 400 dollar mark.

While i know plenty of mens watches in that price range i couldnt come up with any womens watches except some  swatch models

Nothing digital and she doesnt want anything vintage.

Any ideas?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: January 20, 2022, 05:49:48 PM »
36mm orient bambino?
Ladies presage Seiko?

Might be a smidgen over budget but quartz max bill is classy AF and would last her forever

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/gosh/2052870132/?scid=wi_ichi_iphoneapp_item_share
That would be my bet, probably cheaper on the grey market too

artskool

« Reply #593 on: February 09, 2022, 05:56:38 PM »
Well, this somehow, maybe invariably, became my obsession since I posted here initially. The deeper I got into researching various options, making lists on chrono24, a bit of a YouTube wormhole, I ended up getting a watch. Not a Rolex, not an Omega (though that speedy reduced...), not a weird beat up Swiss automatic watch, but a new Seiko Prospex Speedtimer. The panda face one.

I like that it's a thoroughly modern device. Automatic movements still seem pretty cool and magical to me, but this thing just looks good, feels good, and has a no BS factor that makes sense to me.

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #594 on: February 09, 2022, 09:23:39 PM »
I got a solar powered Seiko that quit fucking working unless it's directly in the sun. I took it to some dumbass local watch dude who told me it was fine and closed the back improperly lol. Does anybody happen to know any good watch dudes in Denver who won't fuck me in the ass to fix it
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: February 09, 2022, 10:18:12 PM »
Well, this somehow, maybe invariably, became my obsession since I posted here initially. The deeper I got into researching various options, making lists on chrono24, a bit of a YouTube wormhole, I ended up getting a watch. Not a Rolex, not an Omega (though that speedy reduced...), not a weird beat up Swiss automatic watch, but a new Seiko Prospex Speedtimer. The panda face one.

I like that it's a thoroughly modern device. Automatic movements still seem pretty cool and magical to me, but this thing just looks good, feels good, and has a no BS factor that makes sense to me.

tell me you got the panda version, this post is nothing without pics! Not a bad watch, wears well for the specs, classic look and great movement for an everyday beater. Might be a tad thicc, but most chronos have some beef so it’s not like it’s too out of place for that particular genre.
Put it on a nato or leather strap for extra watch nerd points! Seiko bracelets are notorious for punching below their weight anyway and it will lighten things up a bit.
You’re about to dive down a rabbit hole though…
Either way though, you have a good daily driver!

I have my Tudor BB36 on today and I honestly can’t say enough good things about this watch, I’m kinda lusting after a vintage (non-diver) 60s seamaster that I recently saw locally though so now I’ll have to flip one of my other watches. Also thinking about dropping some $ on a king Seiko (5625-7080) but I can’t have both…
Seamaster is very similar to this one:
https://tachibana57.com/?pid=165351573
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 12:21:11 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

artskool

« Reply #596 on: February 10, 2022, 11:46:37 AM »

Yep, the panda one. I knew you were going to be disappointed in my purchase!

I all ready feel like this watch is borderline too fancy for me, but am looking at vintage black-faced Air Kings. I like sportier watches because all the markings and dials are fun to look at, but an understated steel watch is all ready calling my name. Or maybe like that Tudor you mentioned.

Expand Quote

[close]
tell me you got the panda version, this post is nothing without pics! Not a bad watch, wears well for the specs, classic look and great movement for an everyday beater. Might be a tad thicc, but most chronos have some beef so it’s not like it’s too out of place for that particular genre.
Put it on a nato or leather strap for extra watch nerd points! Seiko bracelets are notorious for punching below their weight anyway and it will lighten things up a bit.
You’re about to dive down a rabbit hole though…
Either way though, you have a good daily driver!

I have my Tudor BB36 on today and I honestly can’t say enough good things about this watch, I’m kinda lusting after a vintage (non-diver) 60s seamaster that I recently saw locally though so now I’ll have to flip one of my other watches. Also thinking about dropping some $ on a king Seiko (5625-7080) but I can’t have both…
Seamaster is very similar to this one:
https://tachibana57.com/?pid=165351573

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: February 10, 2022, 02:17:11 PM »
Not disappointed at all, I not a movement snob and I love the look of it. I also think they were smart by not making it over 40mm, has a very also feel.
Where else are you going to get a panda style watch for that money? Steinhart? Personally I dig the Seiko more. The only watches I’m disappointed in are fashion watches!

artskool

« Reply #598 on: February 10, 2022, 04:11:35 PM »
After looking around, I feel like I want a sporty/visually flashy watch to be cheaper, and if I want to drop thousands it will be on something sort of aggressively non-flashy. So, after "saving" thousands by getting the seiko, I can then turn around and just buy more watches?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #599 on: February 11, 2022, 06:29:19 PM »
So, after "saving" thousands by getting the seiko, I can then turn around and just buy more watches?
you won’t get any arguments from me ;) if you’re going to drop scrilla though, maybe try and try on a few pieces first. Air king or Tudor bb36 should wear well on most wrists. I have my bb36 on again today and the blue dial is such a chameleon!