Author Topic: Soulsborne Thread/Question  (Read 8839 times)

Nom De Plume

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
  • Slow, Low, and Old
Soulsborne Thread/Question
« on: April 26, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »
Searched around and found some threads for the individual games but not for the whole series. Apologies if this thread already exists. Would love to hear folks weigh in on the games.

Got a PS4 last black friday for Bloodborne(first gaming on that generation console). As a huge Lovecraft and open world rpg fan, this was an amazing experience, one of the best I've had. Super tough but rewarding. My heart would actually start pounding when bosses were down to like 20% health; haven't had that since I was a kid. Props to the guy on here that beat Orphan of Kos second try.

So what's up with the Dark Souls games? Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3 are on sale right now and I got time on my hands. Seems like people here don't love #2. Should I play in order? If not, will it fuck up continuity in the story? Should I skip any of them? What say you?

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
Re: Soulsborne Thread/Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:01:54 AM »
Between 1 2 and 3 it really doesn’t matter if you play them in order. There  are a few names or references to lore stuff between the games but its not a big big deal. I’m replaying through the whole trilogy at the moment. Personally I’d just play 1 and 3 if you’re interested in the series. 2 is good but I wouldn’t pay more than like 10 dollars for it.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:19:57 AM »
In hindsight, Dark Souls 2 is just okay. It has tankier controls and an atmosphere that seems slightly off compared to the other two. Poured several hours into the initial release but going back to Scholar of the First Sin after Dark Souls 3 felt like a waste of time. The Scholar version is also a bit more grueling due to slight rearrangement and increase of the enemies.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 01:14:42 AM »
Has anyone tried any of the non-From Software soulsbornes like Surge, Nioh and Ashen? How about the 2d ones like Blasphemous? Any recommendations?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »
DS 1&3 are great. 1 is the real deal. It’s amazing overall but there are more sections that drag and are a bitch to play. 3 feels a bit slick and fan-service-y but is enjoyable to play throughout.

Demon Souls is interesting and has a unique atmosphere but it plays like a Beta of DS1. Has some stupid mechanics like having to traipse around to particular smiths to upgrade xxxx. Couple of optional bosses that require you shooting 120 arrows or something at them from half a mile away. A few levels that should never not be speedrun-ed through.

Only made it a few hours into DS2 and put it down.

Sekiro is brilliant and frustrating and more of its own thing. It’s Soulsborne but not. I hated most of the first play through and then played through another 8 times and had a blast.

I got Nioh recently but didn’t get very far. It doesn’t have the same shoulder button configuration and the combat has a weird tempo - more like Ninja Gaiden with stamina thrown in. Put that down for the new God Of War which is more like a Souls game for dummies now but that was very enjoyable.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 03:29:32 PM »
DS 1&3 are great. 1 is the real deal. It’s amazing overall but there are more sections that drag and are a bitch to play. 3 feels a bit slick and fan-service-y but is enjoyable to play throughout.

Demon Souls is interesting and has a unique atmosphere but it plays like a Beta of DS1. Has some stupid mechanics like having to traipse around to particular smiths to upgrade xxxx. Couple of optional bosses that require you shooting 120 arrows or something at them from half a mile away. A few levels that should never not be speedrun-ed through.

Only made it a few hours into DS2 and put it down.

Sekiro is brilliant and frustrating and more of its own thing. It’s Soulsborne but not. I hated most of the first play through and then played through another 8 times and had a blast.

I got Nioh recently but didn’t get very far. It doesn’t have the same shoulder button configuration and the combat has a weird tempo - more like Ninja Gaiden with stamina thrown in. Put that down for the new God Of War which is more like a Souls game for dummies now but that was very enjoyable.

Demons Souls had such a cool atmosphere and really felt like they were left alone to make whatever the fuck they wanted: it’s pretty brutal (it gets harder the more you die and the worse you do) and there’s all kinds of weird little details and shit going on.  I believe it was considered a failure and was written off by From, so they could make their weird little artsy game without too much interference and without worrying about it being some hot seller.

Dark Souls is my personal favorite because of all the fascinating ideas/art/world.  It’s the only one that I think did the interconnected world thing really well.  I remember my first time going through and finding out how all the areas fit together- it really felt like something unique and special.  Plus I just think it’s the most enjoyable gameplay. 

It’s not perfect or anything, but it just feels like a lot of love and attention was put into it (the first 2/3rds anyways).

Darks Souls 2 is not very good.  If there’s one to skip, that’d be it.

I agree with Willie about Dark Souls 3.  It felt like something that was rather unnecessary.  Lots of “hey do you remember this character/place?” stuff.  It was ok, but by then it had lost pretty much everything that made the first two games so great. 

It was cool seeing something so fresh and different come out, since video games seem to just be dominated by sequels and copycat.  It was nice not having everything spoon-fed to you (there are huge chunks of the game and story that you won’t experience unless you really go out of your way or follow some walkthrough).  But now it itself has kind of become another rehashed and copied thing.  Oh well.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Nom De Plume

• Rep: 1
  • Slow, Low, and Old
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 10:20:02 PM »
Thanks a ton for the input y'all. Copped 1 and 3. Now Scholar of the First Sin is on sale for $9.99. Kinda hard to pass up even when it's the least well received offering. These posts piqued my interest in Demon Souls too; maybe save the first for last this time.

Gonna finish off the Bioshock Collection, then it's time to die.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 03:24:37 PM »
Dark souls 1 and bloodborne are the pinnacles of the series.  Souls 3 is also really good and has some challenging bosses epsecially the dlc. I believe the creator Miyazaki wasnt very involved with souls 2. Its a great game but is missing a certain magic the others have. I just finished demon souls and the levels are challenging like trying to get to a boss and theres very few shortcuts. The bosses are alot easier compared to the newer games. The A.I. is alot less developed and will get stuck on the enviroment and do dumb shit. No jumping or plunging attacks.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »
Has anyone tried any of the non-From Software soulsbornes like Surge, Nioh and Ashen? How about the 2d ones like Blasphemous? Any recommendations?
Sorry to bump. Just wanted to say that Surge 2 is very fun. Don’t need to play the first one to understand what’s going on. Also I would recommend Remnant from the ashes.

josha

• Rep: -5
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 01:26:33 AM »
This is such enormous information about Mobile Legends on PC. I bet you will like it too. Feel free to check it!

aLEXICONdEVIL

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »
I love to R1 mash.

I dodge spam in so many other games as a result of DS1

The magic of DS1 for me was definitely invasions and PvE.  I only played the first release on Xbox 360, and kind of late in the life cycle, so I never had a chance to experience the gravelord covenant.

Have fun when you get around to the series!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:17:55 PM by aLEXICONdEVIL »

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 02:57:01 PM »
The interconnected world in DS1 is so amazing to me, couldn't get through DS3 because of that and the subtle atmosphere change. Not sure if it's just me who feels that way about DS3 cause everyone seems to love it so it might just be.

But yeah DS1 is one of the best games of all time, I'm sure you'll love it.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »
The interconnected world in DS1 is so amazing to me, couldn't get through DS3 because of that and the subtle atmosphere change. Not sure if it's just me who feels that way about DS3 cause everyone seems to love it so it might just be.

Personally I love the atmosphere of 3 and it fits with the lore and what's happening in the world at the time though I did feel like it looked too much like Bloodborne at first.

Anyone keeping up with Elden Ring and the Demon's Souls remake?

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 12:08:13 AM »
Looking forward to Elden Ring. Not much info available apart from the teaser trailer. Hope they'll release Demon's Souls remake on PC. Although if it's like the remastered Dark Souls, don't think I'll spend another 20+ hours shooting reapers with a bow and arrow.

Edit. Demon's Souls will be a PS exclusive. Damn.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 07:04:03 AM »
Looking forward to Elden Ring. Not much info available apart from the teaser trailer. Hope they'll release Demon's Souls remake on PC. Although if it's like the remastered Dark Souls, don't think I'll spend another 20+ hours shooting reapers with a bow and arrow.

Edit. Demon's Souls will be a PS exclusive. Damn.

On the bright side the new Demon's is a full on remake from the ground up and not just the same game with some new lighting effects like Dark Souls Remastered was. Really hoping they finish that last archstone area (Land of the Giants) that was cut from the original version but not holding my breath.

Latest rumor is we'll get new Elden Ring news at Gamescom but who knows? Seems like it's going to be the true, big spiritual successor to the Souls games which is exactly what I need.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 06:27:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Personally I love the atmosphere of 3 and it fits with the lore and what's happening in the world at the time though I did feel like it looked too much like Bloodborne at first.

Recently picked DS3 back up and I'm actually enjoying it right now, Irithyll of the Boreal Valley is breathtaking.

Extremely excited to play Demon's Souls for the first time, haven't kept up with it though.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Recently picked DS3 back up and I'm actually enjoying it right now, Irithyll of the Boreal Valley is breathtaking.

Expand Quote

[close]

Extremely excited to play Demon's Souls for the first time, haven't kept up with it though.

DS3 is a greatest hits album. It’s not original, it repeats stuff that has already been done, it doesn’t have slow spots that make the pacing more organic. It’s also great to play, easier to jump back into at any point, and has some singular moments that are pretty great.

DeS is going to need a few major quality of life improvements to make me give a shit. The character weight was always off, not having enough inventory space to pick up vital upgrades was bullshit, and some levels are really hot garbage.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 11:51:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

DS3 is a greatest hits album. It’s not original, it repeats stuff that has already been done, it doesn’t have slow spots that make the pacing more organic. It’s also great to play, easier to jump back into at any point, and has some singular moments that are pretty great.

DeS is going to need a few major quality of life improvements to make me give a shit. The character weight was always off, not having enough inventory space to pick up vital upgrades was bullshit, and some levels are really hot garbage.
[close]

The big thing with Demon's that people don't catch on to right away is that your inventory weighs you down regardless of what you have equipped so people end up fat rolling just by having a lot of shit on their person which is more realistic but sucks until you realize it. Then you have to remember to drop shit off at Stockpile Thomas all the time or your inventory gets full quick and you have to leave shit behind in a level. I definitely expect a lot of quality of life changes and level tweaks and am curious to see if they mess with Character and World Tendency at all.

Damn, I wasn't even aware of that! Guess being over-organised/storing all unused items spared me.

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 03:40:11 AM »
Mortal Shell was recently released.  It's got the Souls formula (collect "tar" which is the currency to purchase upgrades and items; you lose them on death and must be collected at corpse site), tough bosses etc... Little customization and few weapons but it's only $35 and a fun gap-filler until the PS plus games for September are released
do more yoga!

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »
Mortal Shell was recently released.  It's got the Souls formula (collect "tar" which is the currency to purchase upgrades and items; you lose them on death and must be collected at corpse site), tough bosses etc... Little customization and few weapons but it's only $35 and a fun gap-filler until the PS plus games for September are released

Yeah I'm playing it right now and it's really not bad, I like the harden mechanic a lot actually

Junglist

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 11:29:24 AM »
Play King’s Field, fromsoftware’s first games.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 12:07:18 PM »
Sekiro is getting an update in October where they are putting in a boss rush mode.

I’m actually pretty excited by that. I groused about the difficulty a lot on first play through but I think the bosses are fun now.

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2021, 11:03:07 AM »
i've been playing dark souls 2 i'm having such a blast with this game so far!
(i've lit two primal bonfires.) (scholars of the first sin on steam)
(also i played demons souls and 1 on PS3)
other than iron keep, i haven't found this game to be frustrating at all!
in fact, i'm enjoying it more than 1 - maybe because of the expectations based on popular opinion.
i think it's beautiful and there's a really cool variety of encounters the game expects you to adapt to.
i'm curious what specifically people don't like about it?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2021, 01:31:52 PM »
in fact, i'm enjoying it more than 1 - maybe because of the expectations based on popular opinion.
i think it's beautiful and there's a really cool variety of encounters the game expects you to adapt to.

The lore and the world, mostly. The map physically doesn't make sense (taking an elevator from ground up to a lava-sea dungeon) and the lore is basically separate from the rest of the series and doesn't tie in with Gwyn or the linking of the flame or anything like that. There's frankly too many bosses and many of them have such basic movesets that make them trivial on a re-run not to mention some real balancing with enemies in certain areas. All that said the gameplay is fun and I don't think it's worthless, there's some good stuff there it just lost the plot so to speak.

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 12:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The lore and the world, mostly. The map physically doesn't make sense (taking an elevator from ground up to a lava-sea dungeon) and the lore is basically separate from the rest of the series and doesn't tie in with Gwyn or the linking of the flame or anything like that. There's frankly too many bosses and many of them have such basic movesets that make them trivial on a re-run not to mention some real balancing with enemies in certain areas. All that said the gameplay is fun and I don't think it's worthless, there's some good stuff there it just lost the plot so to speak.

i finished it and i can't disagree, but i'm not super invested in anything but gameplay, so it seems.
i rarely felt the need for a guide which felt great. the progression made much more sense to me.
that being said, i do think 1 is much stronger design-wise
2 is more videogame-y which is fine imo.

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 12:50:28 AM »
DaS 1 is a great game, very strong worldbuilding and a good toning-down of a lot of the out-there designs of Demons Souls. I thought it was more polished in that sense, but DaS 1 is still the king of the series. Demons souls had some really cool worldbuilding built into it, especially in terms of worldbuilding that made almost no sense at the start (shit like world tendency, and the various NPC's you would have to somewhat escort throughout the worlds at times) that can completely change your experience of the game.

has anyone played the PS5 remake? Pretty bummed it didn't come to PC.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 07:07:41 AM »
DaS 1 is a great game, very strong worldbuilding and a good toning-down of a lot of the out-there designs of Demons Souls. I thought it was more polished in that sense, but DaS 1 is still the king of the series. Demons souls had some really cool worldbuilding built into it, especially in terms of worldbuilding that made almost no sense at the start (shit like world tendency, and the various NPC's you would have to somewhat escort throughout the worlds at times) that can completely change your experience of the game.

Yeah, I absolutely love it. It's gorgeous and fluid, all the new animations really make the combat pop. Bluepoint really did so much with the fine details to tie the combat and world together. The world tendency stuff is all still there and while it's completely confusing to new-comers it really gives you fun stuff to work with on NG+ which is my biggest complaint of other games in the series; NG+ doesn't add anything new. Ironically DaS2 is the only other game to really change things in NG+ runs.

While I won't say it's perfectly executed the idea of World Tendency is a great idea and I'd love to see it expanded upon in Elden Ring. The idea that the more evil you do in the world brings more darkness and evil out of it and vice-versa. I know there's a weather system in Elden Ring and enemies wander so it should lead to a similar effect of making the world feel alive and changing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:19:27 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 05:38:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, I absolutely love it. It's gorgeous and fluid, all the new animations really make the combat pop. Bluepoint really did so much with the fine details to tie the combat and world together. The world tendency stuff is all still there and while it's completely confusing to new-comers it really gives you fun stuff to work with on NG+ which is my biggest complaint of other games in the series; NG+ doesn't add anything new. Ironically DaS2 is the only other game to really change things in NG+ runs.

While I won't say it's perfectly executed the idea of World Tendency is a great idea and I'd love to see it expanded upon in Elden Ring. The idea that the more evil you do in the world brings more darkness and evil out of it and vice-versa. I know there's a weather system in Elden Ring and enemies wander so it should lead to a similar effect of making the world feel alive and changing.

Finally, someone has sold me on the remake! I have such a soft spot for Demon's Souls, I was scared to see it become a half-assed reboot. I'm trying to ignore as much as I can about elden ring until I actually play it, just so I'll be able to completely enjoy unravelling the story on my own.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 09:38:36 AM »
I try and try and try with PS3 Demon's Souls. It just does not work for me. I can't see a fucking thing and I'm so confused as to continue going through the Tower of Latria or through the mine shaft area, but both are fucking brutal and moon grass and decent weapons are fucked to come by. I'm on a dex build too. What do you guys run?

I think I started with a Sorcerer or something because I read somewhere it was the easiest. That started you with an offensive spell that could take out some of the enemies from a distance but honestly I mostly played the game like a lightly armored knight or whatever.

The levels are such a bitch I ended up watching speed run videos and trucking through the harder ones.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 10:34:02 AM »
I try and try and try with PS3 Demon's Souls. It just does not work for me. I can't see a fucking thing and I'm so confused as to continue going through the Tower of Latria or through the mine shaft area, but both are fucking brutal and moon grass and decent weapons are fucked to come by. I'm on a dex build too. What do you guys run?

I’ve played through the whole thing a few times.  Magic is super powerful.  Use a piercing weapon on the mineshaft guys. 

There’s a easy glitch thing to duplicate a bunch of souls if you just want to easy-mode it.  Some people say that takes all the fun out of the game, but for me it let me sort of chill and figure out the game my first time through, so use at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EDAzs1lzw&feature=share

Part of what makes the game so cool is that it’s so unforgiving and doesn’t make strategies and stuff obvious.  It had that hardcore and mysterious aura about it that no other current games at the time really did, so the high barrier to entry is kind of a plus and a minus.  Sort of like skating.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.