Author Topic: Soulsborne Thread/Question  (Read 8826 times)

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
Re: Soulsborne Thread/Question
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2021, 07:07:07 AM »
Expand Quote
I try and try and try with PS3 Demon's Souls. It just does not work for me. I can't see a fucking thing and I'm so confused as to continue going through the Tower of Latria or through the mine shaft area, but both are fucking brutal and moon grass and decent weapons are fucked to come by. I'm on a dex build too. What do you guys run?
[close]

I’ve played through the whole thing a few times.  Magic is super powerful.  Use a piercing weapon on the mineshaft guys. 

There’s a easy glitch thing to duplicate a bunch of souls if you just want to easy-mode it.  Some people say that takes all the fun out of the game, but for me it let me sort of chill and figure out the game my first time through, so use at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EDAzs1lzw&feature=share

Part of what makes the game so cool is that it’s so unforgiving and doesn’t make strategies and stuff obvious.  It had that hardcore and mysterious aura about it that no other current games at the time really did, so the high barrier to entry is kind of a plus and a minus.  Sort of like skating.

It can be a big hurdle to beginners but it makes it really replayable because every time you play it you learn something new about world tendency or builds and as you explore that you find all these new bits of content that you missed before.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2021, 07:10:43 AM »
I try and try and try with PS3 Demon's Souls. It just does not work for me. I can't see a fucking thing and I'm so confused as to continue going through the Tower of Latria or through the mine shaft area, but both are fucking brutal and moon grass and decent weapons are fucked to come by. I'm on a dex build too. What do you guys run?

I typically go for a Dex build but magic is OP in Demon's once you can build it up. Bit late on this but as far as areas go, have you cleared out the other first levels of the other areas? If not I'd do that, 4-1 is intimidating but if you can clear that there's some good items and experience to be had, I'd hang off on 5-1 for as long as possible though. Also, don't be afraid to just run past shit if you need to and come back to it later. Most of these levels you can just sprint right past enemies to get a feel for the level and where you need to go.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2021, 10:26:03 PM »
Elden Ring was 45 bucks on Gamersgate (now that's a name for a website oof) so I pre-ordered it.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2021, 02:31:35 PM »
Elden Ring was 45 bucks on Gamersgate (now that's a name for a website oof) so I pre-ordered it.

I was always going to get this because I love all the Souls games but I didn't think it would be any different than Dark Souls 4 but after watching all these network tests people are streaming I'm genuinely blown away by what they're doing with this game, it's really a culmination of everything they've done with an open world that feels real and populated

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 03:32:21 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2021, 11:55:47 AM »
Yo I have Demons Souls on PS3 but I could never figure out wtf you are supposed to do in this game. Could someone just point me in the right direction for what i am supposed to be doing right out the gate?
ONTARIO CANADA

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2021, 07:57:35 PM »
Yo I have Demons Souls on PS3 but I could never figure out wtf you are supposed to do in this game. Could someone just point me in the right direction for what i am supposed to be doing right out the gate?

Play through first level, find shortcuts so you don’t have to keep going all the way through when you die, work your way to the boss, beat the first boss. After that you’ll have access to the hub world and you’ll be able to level up and carry on through the game.

The big factor in this game is killing enemies and collecting their souls to in turn level you up. When you die all the souls you collected drop on the ground right there and you start the level over. If you can get to those souls without dying again you can pick them up but if you die before you get back there they’re gone forever. If you survive you can take them to the hub world and give them to an NPC to level yourself up. Beating the first boss is the first big test because there’s no leveling up until after that.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2021, 07:46:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Play through first level, find shortcuts so you don’t have to keep going all the way through when you die, work your way to the boss, beat the first boss. After that you’ll have access to the hub world and you’ll be able to level up and carry on through the game.

The big factor in this game is killing enemies and collecting their souls to in turn level you up. When you die all the souls you collected drop on the ground right there and you start the level over. If you can get to those souls without dying again you can pick them up but if you die before you get back there they’re gone forever. If you survive you can take them to the hub world and give them to an NPC to level yourself up. Beating the first boss is the first big test because there’s no leveling up until after that.

hmm ok thanks ill have to give it another go tomorrow AM and make sure i turn the brightness up its so hard to see..
ONTARIO CANADA

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2021, 01:01:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hmm ok thanks ill have to give it another go tomorrow AM and make sure i turn the brightness up its so hard to see..

Save a few firebombs for the Phalanx. Learning to parry the skeletons and looting 4-1 early on is grueling but very rewarding.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2021, 12:41:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Save a few firebombs for the Phalanx. Learning to parry the skeletons and looting 4-1 early on is grueling but very rewarding.

True, plus that Crescent Falchion is a great early game weapon.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2021, 10:26:53 AM »
Love nearly all games of the soulsborne universe, except DS2. That game was way too long and repetitive. Best game so far was Bloodborne – especially the DLC. Took me several days to beat the orphan of kos
Still waiting for my PS5 to arrive, so i can try out demon souls.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2021, 12:14:14 PM »
I’m currently about 4/5ths (?) of the way through DS2 and it actually gets a lot better than the first 1/4, which I gave up on for a year.

It’s wildly uneven - there are a ton of poison/dark levels that fucking suck, some bosses are pushovers, some crazy hard and you need to get by to advance the game but you’re way under leveled for them. Still has its virtues though. Not the best but it’s scratching the itch for me right now.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2022, 11:44:05 PM »
Anybody playing Elden Ring? Just came up for air after a two day binge, this game is insane

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2022, 02:06:38 AM »
Anybody playing Elden Ring? Just came up for air after a two day binge, this game is insane

Na, the atmosphere looks cool but game play looks way to similar to DS3, i'll wait.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2022, 07:23:54 AM »
I bought it. It’s pretty good so far although it’s totally  DS4.

It’s a bit hard to get your bearings initially. I’m only on the first castle and haven’t done a ton of side stuff yet. The navigation aspect and level design don’t seem quite as tight. Having a jump opens things up a little bit but it’s not a huge jump so there’s a bit more of figuring out “is this jumpable?” Similarly it’s hard to get a handle on where the max fall height distance is.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2022, 08:00:20 PM »
I picked up Elden Ring. I got outside, killed and eagle , and the horse guy just keeps murdering me.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2022, 03:39:01 AM »
I picked up Elden Ring. I got outside, killed and eagle , and the horse guy just keeps murdering me.

skip him altogether for now.

I'm about 10 hours in, I'm not great at Soulsborne games but do enjoy them - i tend to rely on over levelling and upgrading gear, and using cheeses on bosses where I can.

It feels like the sort of game Dark Souls always should have been, the open world really suits it, although it can feel a bit overwhelming at first as there's little to no in game signposting or hand-holding.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2022, 11:20:23 AM »

You should definitely not be fighting that guy for a good while. The game throws a lot of very hard stuff at you quickly with the expectation that you'll explore away from it, level up and get better gear and come back.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 11:29:30 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »

It’s a bit hard to get your bearings initially. I’m only on the first castle and haven’t done a ton of side stuff yet. The navigation aspect and level design don’t seem quite as tight. Having a jump opens things up a little bit but it’s not a huge jump so there’s a bit more of figuring out “is this jumpable?” Similarly it’s hard to get a handle on where the max fall height distance is.

Gotta be honest I completely disagree about navigation and level design but also you're not very far and haven't done the open world stuff yet so that's probably why we differ... using your map, telescope and geography to scout things out in the open world is very cool in my opinion.

The jump is primarily for combat purposes, jumping R2's do a ton of posture damage and can lead to crits really easily. You can also use it to evade sweeping attacks. It does allow you to access areas in the legacy dungeons that you wouldn't be able to get to otherwise, though.

The horse double jump definitely helps with exploring and traversing the land though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 11:33:11 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2022, 11:28:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Na, the atmosphere looks cool but game play looks way to similar to DS3, i'll wait.

The core is definitely Dark Souls however the sneak, jumping, powerstancing being back, Ashes of War, etc really adds to the combat. If you like Souls you'll love it, if not it won't sway you to the genre I think.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 11:37:29 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2022, 12:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The core is definitely Dark Souls however the sneak, jumping, powerstancing being back, Ashes of War, etc really adds to the combat. If you like Souls you'll love it, if not it won't sway you to the genre I think.

I see. I liked Bloodborne the most, by far. Ds3 was good. Sekiro ok. Maybe some years from now.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2022, 01:22:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You should definitely not be fighting that guy for a good while. The game throws a lot of very hard stuff at you quickly with the expectation that you'll explore away from it, level up and get better gear and come back.
Should I skip that long descending hallway with the poison and giant rolling death machines? I got pretty far down, past the rolling stuff, only to get murdered by the first mob I came across. Gave up and went outside.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2022, 06:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gotta be honest I completely disagree about navigation and level design but also you're not very far and haven't done the open world stuff yet so that's probably why we differ... using your map, telescope and geography to scout things out in the open world is very cool in my opinion.

The jump is primarily for combat purposes, jumping R2's do a ton of posture damage and can lead to crits really easily. You can also use it to evade sweeping attacks. It does allow you to access areas in the legacy dungeons that you wouldn't be able to get to otherwise, though.

The horse double jump definitely helps with exploring and traversing the land though.

I was speaking more in the context of the “legacy dungeons”. It felt like the design was just tighter in the earlier games. I’ve only completed Stormveil thus far but it didn’t have that neat, puzzle box feeling when it was completed. It’s maybe a bit more like DS2 where things do still link together but maybe not in a particularly clever or clean way.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2022, 07:53:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Should I skip that long descending hallway with the poison and giant rolling death machines? I got pretty far down, past the rolling stuff, only to get murdered by the first mob I came across. Gave up and went outside.

Yes, I'd skip that. I got to the bottom and was severely unprepared for what I found. The fact that they put this right after the tutorial area is such a laugh.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2022, 07:55:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I was speaking more in the context of the “legacy dungeons”. It felt like the design was just tighter in the earlier games. I’ve only completed Stormveil thus far but it didn’t have that neat, puzzle box feeling when it was completed. It’s maybe a bit more like DS2 where things do still link together but maybe not in a particularly clever or clean way.

Gotcha, personally it reminded be a lot of Boletaria 1-1 in Demon's Souls so I really liked it but to each their own. One thing I'll say is the path to the boss is pretty direct but I went back through later and found a bunch of lower levels and content that I had missed. They're definitely more sprawling and don't lead back to the entrance area which personally I never cared about too much since Demon's was my first and doesn't do that a ton but I know the people who started with Dark Souls 1 really love it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 08:16:10 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2022, 08:09:10 PM »
I’ve only got 2 hours in, got the mount, got the bell, got the crafting kit. Just been farming soldiers really. I’m going to just focus on this game for now. With horizon forbidden west and the cyberpunk being upgraded, I’m probably good on games for the year.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2022, 12:05:55 PM »
Alright, I’m hooked. Did a couple of caves and bosses in said caves around limgrave and it’s great. I love that every encounter could be life or death. I haven’t gone past the gate though, I started to and there’s a bunch of archers and this big ass monster showed up, turned around real quick.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2022, 11:42:02 PM »
How's everyone playing Elden Ring? PS4? PS5? PC? Xbox?

I am currently playing Fallout 4 and won't start a new game until I finish it due to my OCD (even though I don't really love it) but Elden Ring has got me wanting to rush through it...

However, I only own a PS4 and while I would love to buy a PS5, it seems unlikely for the near future at least due to unavailability. I really want to play Horizon Forbidden West but I think I want to wait until I can play it on PS5 but it seems Elden Ring is decent on PS4? Is that a fair assumption?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2022, 03:53:35 PM »
I’m playing it on PS4. It’s fine by me although I grew up playing C64 games so everything looks great to me now.

It’s a slight step down from Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2 but it’s still the the best looking Fromsoft game on PS4. It’s also a free upgrade to PS5 if you score one so I’d just go for it (don’t know if your saves will transfer though).

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2022, 06:25:35 PM »
How's everyone playing Elden Ring? PS4? PS5? PC? Xbox?

I am currently playing Fallout 4 and won't start a new game until I finish it due to my OCD (even though I don't really love it) but Elden Ring has got me wanting to rush through it...

However, I only own a PS4 and while I would love to buy a PS5, it seems unlikely for the near future at least due to unavailability. I really want to play Horizon Forbidden West but I think I want to wait until I can play it on PS5 but it seems Elden Ring is decent on PS4? Is that a fair assumption?
I’m playing on ps5. Opt in to emails from Sony on your PlayStation account, every couple of weeks they email out invites to buy on. That’s how my brother and I both got ours.