Author Topic: Soulsborne Thread/Question  (Read 9042 times)

notmikerusczyk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
Re: Soulsborne Thread/Question
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2023, 10:38:35 AM »
have now also finished bloodborne, sekiro, and ds3, dlc's included. need that ER dlc!!!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2023, 10:58:08 AM »
have now also finished bloodborne, sekiro, and ds3, dlc's included. need that ER dlc!!!

I should go back and do the bloodborne DLC. I tried to do demons soul remaster and it just felt like such a letdown after Elden Ring…

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2023, 08:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I should go back and do the bloodborne DLC. I tried to do demons soul remaster and it just felt like such a letdown after Elden Ring…

Demon Souls was just a drag to me. I’m sure the remaster looks a lot better but it played like a beta test for Dark Souls. DS1 was just hands down better.

I’m currently trying to beat one non-essential boss on the Bloodborne DLC on NG+5 that I’ve only ever beaten once. It’s driving me crazy. I’m somewhat indifferent on the Bloodborne DLC. There are a few good bosses (and a few shit ones) and some of the areas are interesting but it’s also got a higher frustration factor and kind of drags out a game that was essentially perfect as is.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2023, 03:01:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Demon Souls was just a drag to me. I’m sure the remaster looks a lot better but it played like a beta test for Dark Souls. DS1 was just hands down better.

I’m currently trying to beat one non-essential boss on the Bloodborne DLC on NG+5 that I’ve only ever beaten once. It’s driving me crazy. I’m somewhat indifferent on the Bloodborne DLC. There are a few good bosses (and a few shit ones) and some of the areas are interesting but it’s also got a higher frustration factor and kind of drags out a game that was essentially perfect as is.

I actually prefer Demon's to Dark Souls but I also played it first and I'd say most people probably prefer Dark Souls so that's not surprising

Surprised hear you say that about the BB DLC though because I genuinely think it's the best content in the game (aside from Living Failures fight). I will say if you're finding it's a slog it's probably because you're on such a high NG cycle, it really punishes you for playing through it on anything other than NG. When it first dropped I was on like Ng+5 and it was so hard I just made a new character to play through on a normal cycle.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 06:30:43 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2023, 02:58:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hmmm, i thought the DLC was amazing and the best part of the game. i'm assuming you're talking about lawrence? cause i'll agree, that fight was complete ass lmao. i think the big beast fights in bloodborne are a bit awkward since they're very difficult to parry, but locking onto them makes you not able to roll and get i-frames. one of my minor gripes for an otherwise S-tier game

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2023, 06:14:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
hmmm, i thought the DLC was amazing and the best part of the game. i'm assuming you're talking about lawrence? cause i'll agree, that fight was complete ass lmao. i think the big beast fights in bloodborne are a bit awkward since they're very difficult to parry, but locking onto them makes you not able to roll and get i-frames. one of my minor gripes for an otherwise S-tier game

Yeah, it’s Laurence. I beat him once on NG and then never again. He just sucks and has a ridiculously high health bar. I actually came close yesterday but I really ought to give up. I’m sure I’ve done that runback 100+ times in all.

I really like Ludwig, love Maria, and can deal with Orphan. The first level is a fairly ugly reskin until you pass Ludwig. I enjoy the next portion through the Research Hall but Fishing Hamlet is laid out in such a way you either need to be incredibly slow and methodical or speedrun. It’s like that subterranean swamp level in DeS.

linty

• Rep: 36
« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2023, 11:29:41 PM »
I finally borrowed a ps4 and returned to Bloodborne. I got to Vicar Amelia 5+ years ago but never finished the game before selling my console. It's been so fun, very satisfying to breeze through the first three bosses after struggling a lot back when I first played it. Just got to Yahar'Gul, unseen village.

Figured a str/skill build would be reasonable for a "first" playthrough. Been using a saw spear although Ludwig's holy blade is tempting. I just want to avoid swords after a lot of Elden Ring.

switchfakie

« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2023, 10:07:30 PM »
for anybody who likes souls, bloodborne is way too easy if you havent played it

the DLC is AMAZING tho, so i'd recommend you do what i did & beat the game once & then play the DLC on NG+1 or NG+2 so that it'll be an actual challenge

the problem with bloodborne is that the dodging makes the game absurdly easy (once you learn how to do it effectively)
also, enemy parrying is easy as well

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2024, 01:01:35 PM »
Been playing Nioh 2, which apparently my kid downloaded for free on PS+ some time ago.

I tried and gave up on Nioh 1 in short order but after adjusting to the controls (literally the hardest part of the game if you’re coming from Fromsoft) I’ve enjoyed Nioh 2.

It’s scratching the same itch as Souls games although I don’t think it’s anywhere near as good. The levels almost feel procedurally generated. It’s got it’s own pace and once you get acclimated it can be enjoyable.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2024, 05:59:33 AM »
Been playing Nioh 2, which apparently my kid downloaded for free on PS+ some time ago.

I tried and gave up on Nioh 1 in short order but after adjusting to the controls (literally the hardest part of the game if you’re coming from Fromsoft) I’ve enjoyed Nioh 2.

It’s scratching the same itch as Souls games although I don’t think it’s anywhere near as good. The levels almost feel procedurally generated. It’s got it’s own pace and once you get acclimated it can be enjoyable.

Yeah, intensity of the combat is the main draw, even though I personally don't really enjoy or take advantage of the multiple fighting stances very often. Seems like a Souls game for people who like the combat of something like Devil May Cry where the skill-ceiling is high and you can stack crazy combos once you know what you're doing. Aesthetically it doesn't do much for me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:33:42 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2024, 10:27:42 AM »
I'm a recent initiate to the fromsoft catalogue - still working through ER; at the last boss but waiting to buy DLC for Bloodborne; touched DS1 for a couple hours (not really digging it atm).

All I have to say is DS3 plays smooth as fuck and I was instantly impressed on start-up. The boss intro to opening fire link was a cool idea for the first 10 min of the game and fully drew me in. Just made it past the hand-tree-abortion monstrosity.

Been trying to play this one spoiler-free, been doing pretty good so far.

I figure i should hold on to Embers for now, because aren't really worth using this early in the game?
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2024, 09:08:24 AM »
I figure i should hold on to Embers for now, because aren't really worth using this early in the game?

Embers give you a little bit more life but more importantly allow you to summon NPCs. As long as you’re not struggling to bad it might make sense to save them. DS3 is the shit.

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, intensity of the combat is the main draw, even though I personally don't really enjoy or take advantage of the multiple fighting stances very often. Seems like a Souls game for people who like the combat of something like Devil May Cry where the skill-ceiling is high and you can stack crazy combos once you know what you're doing. Aesthetically it doesn't do much for me.

It’s more like a goofy, unnecessary mechanic to add difficulty. In Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, you just hammer buttons to keep a combo going whereas Nioh makes you add a Ki button and stance changes to keep a combo going. (Changing stances mid combo gives you stamina replenishment). It’s not really skill but muscle memory - you’re still just mashing 2 buttons. I preferred the Ninja Gaiden games but whatever, it’s something to play.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2024, 02:29:43 PM »
I'm a recent initiate to the fromsoft catalogue - still working through ER; at the last boss but waiting to buy DLC for Bloodborne; touched DS1 for a couple hours (not really digging it atm).

All I have to say is DS3 plays smooth as fuck and I was instantly impressed on start-up. The boss intro to opening fire link was a cool idea for the first 10 min of the game and fully drew me in. Just made it past the hand-tree-abortion monstrosity.

Been trying to play this one spoiler-free, been doing pretty good so far.

Really only should use them when you're trying to summon help or desperately need an HP boost for a boss

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2024, 03:11:26 PM »
Thanks ye fellow Unkindled (Tarnished is a way better handle....)

I have a decent stack from the early game and wasn't sure on the best utility, appreciate it

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2024, 08:33:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Embers give you a little bit more life but more importantly allow you to summon NPCs. As long as you’re not struggling to bad it might make sense to save them. DS3 is the shit.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s more like a goofy, unnecessary mechanic to add difficulty. In Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, you just hammer buttons to keep a combo going whereas Nioh makes you add a Ki button and stance changes to keep a combo going. (Changing stances mid combo gives you stamina replenishment). It’s not really skill but muscle memory - you’re still just mashing 2 buttons. I preferred the Ninja Gaiden games but whatever, it’s something to play.

Yeah I didn’t mean it in a 1:1 sort of way and I guess Sekiro already did Souls combat with a higher skill ceiling in a way that felt like a tight, curated experience and not just shit that was tacked on to increase complexity or be different like Nioh kinda does

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2024, 03:34:12 PM »
Officially got to the credits in Bloodborne. Beat Moon Presence with ease, Orphan is the only main boss I didn't beat, his second phase kept eating my lunch, and mostly just wanted to start NG+.

Do people really think the DLC is that great? Ludwig and Maria were super cool fights, but the rest seemed okay, and the levels are only necessary to leave the DLC weapons out. Idk, i was expecting more after it being so praised.

Fucking awesome game tho.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2024, 11:40:46 AM »
Officially got to the credits in Bloodborne. Beat Moon Presence with ease, Orphan is the only main boss I didn't beat, his second phase kept eating my lunch, and mostly just wanted to start NG+.

Do people really think the DLC is that great? Ludwig and Maria were super cool fights, but the rest seemed okay, and the levels are only necessary to leave the DLC weapons out. Idk, i was expecting more after it being so praised.

I think it's very strong and some of the better content in the game outside of the Living Failures fight. I think the Fishing Hamlet is a cool ass area even though it is a pain in the ass to get through. I don't love the Ludwig fight personally as it's mostly just a Cleric Beast reskin with lava but it does have a lot of cool-factor. I love the Orphan fight though I understand why people get frustrated with it... for whatever reason I always get super close to beating him first try and then seem to struggle for a bit before I finally beat him. Overall I think it's probably the best From DLC even though it doesn't really do anything new (though none of them do, really) it just ups the coolness.

I'd say start to finish Bloodborne is the tightest Miyazaki game for me

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2024, 12:50:00 PM »
I swear to the outer gods if this Elden Ring DLC doesn't get announced soon.....

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2024, 01:01:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think it's very strong and some of the better content in the game outside of the Living Failures fight. I think the Fishing Hamlet is a cool ass area even though it is a pain in the ass to get through. I don't love the Ludwig fight personally as it's mostly just a Cleric Beast reskin with lava but it does have a lot of cool-factor. I love the Orphan fight though I understand why people get frustrated with it... for whatever reason I always get super close to beating him first try and then seem to struggle for a bit before I finally beat him. Overall I think it's probably the best From DLC even though it doesn't really do anything new (though none of them do, really) it just ups the coolness.

not to be technical, but the lava beast is Laurence. Ludwig is the fucked up manhorsebeast with the moonlight sword

Even though the living failures kinda sucked to fight, i liked the atmosphere.

Hm.. maybe i like the DLC more than I thought...

I swear to the outer gods if this Elden Ring DLC doesn't get announced soon.....

You and me both brotha... I still need to finish one of my playthroughs, and hoping the announcement gives me some more juice to push through the end-game, currently putting off Fire Giant and getting my ass handed by Cmndr Naill..

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2024, 02:41:12 PM »

The asylum section before the failure boss fight was amazing. As was the Maria boss battle. Id say it’s the best Soul’s DLC.
Those shark dudes in the well in the middle of fishing hamlet can fuck off, though.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2024, 06:22:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

not to be technical, but the lava beast is Laurence. Ludwig is the fucked up manhorsebeast with the moonlight sword

Even though the living failures kinda sucked to fight, i liked the atmosphere.

Hm.. maybe i like the DLC more than I thought...

Expand Quote
[close]

You and me both brotha... I still need to finish one of my playthroughs, and hoping the announcement gives me some more juice to push through the end-game, currently putting off Fire Giant and getting my ass handed by Cmndr Naill..

Oh fuck, yeah I don't know how I completely blanked on Ludwig because that fight is amazing. When he pulls out the Moonlight sword it gets me every time

They've been doing a ton of stuff behind the scenes that really points to Elden Ring DLC date getting revealed this month so fingers crossed

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2024, 10:08:24 AM »
I really only like the Laboratory level and the Maria fight in the BB DLC.

Those shark guys suck but you can use a Shaman Bone Blade to make them fight each other and then finish off the one left with substantially less health.

Orphan sucks but I eventually had a system where I could make it through the first phase and leave him with less than a third of his HP for his 2nd phase.

Use the rune that enhances viscerals and the one that heals you when you perform a visceral. Because of a glitch, the healing rune gives you a full heal on orphan, which helps you save vials.

If you stay at a distance, he eventually runs towards you and jumps over you. Move forward when he jumps, backstab, visceral. 3 times and he’s close to half empty. Hit him a few more times to get him right to the edge, then get one more visceral. He’ll transform then and you get a few more hits. Then it’s up to dumb luck.

It’s not a picnic but it minimizes the first phase and gives you a leg up on the second.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2024, 09:36:02 AM »
Killed Father G first try on NG+, absolutely annihilated him.

Was kind of having an off day and that solid W felt so satisfying.

Probably been mentioned before, but there's so many parallels to skating and souls-likes. Stomping something that kicks your ass forever, learning the best lines, learning what you can and can't get away with, coming back to things that used to be impossible and having a new understanding...

on the other side, i can't get the Fire Giant past like 80% health...

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2024, 10:10:44 AM »
Killed Father G first try on NG+, absolutely annihilated him.

Was kind of having an off day and that solid W felt so satisfying.

Probably been mentioned before, but there's so many parallels to skating and souls-likes. Stomping something that kicks your ass forever, learning the best lines, learning what you can and can't get away with, coming back to things that used to be impossible and having a new understanding...

on the other side, i can't get the Fire Giant past like 80% health...
The father gascoigne fight in ng+ is such a sweet piece of revenge. Did the same thing. first try. felt so good.

Fire Giant – what helped me was using a mimic tear ashes. and some summons. i hated that fight

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2024, 06:29:53 PM »
SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE TRAILER DROPS TOMORROW

What are we thinking the actual release date will be?? Will we be able to play before Summer?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 06:52:23 PM by BartHarleyJarvis »

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2024, 06:30:56 PM »
SADOW OF THE ERDTREE TRAILER DROPS TOMORROW

What are we thinking the actual release date will be?? Will we be able to play before Summer?
it would be very fromsoft to drop the trailer but still not give a release date

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2024, 09:04:01 AM »
Alright fellow Elden Ring nerds, it is here and it is beautiful:

Releases June 21, 2024

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2024, 12:41:16 PM »
I sort of wish I hadn't started NG+. Have to decide if I want to create a new character before the DLC, or put some time into NG+ to get prepared...

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2024, 02:43:12 PM »
I sort of wish I hadn't started NG+. Have to decide if I want to create a new character before the DLC, or put some time into NG+ to get prepared...

I wouldn't want to face the DLC bosses on a NG+ cycle tbh

So hyped for this though. My wallet hurts but I bought the Collector's Edition and the replica helmet of the dude from the trailer lol

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2024, 02:55:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn't want to face the DLC bosses on a NG+ cycle tbh

So hyped for this though. My wallet hurts but I bought the Collector's Edition and the replica helmet of the dude from the trailer lol

Yeah I definitely don't want to...but I also don't have another 40-80 hours to dedicate to a new build either I don't think...