Author Topic: supportive skate shoes that arent chunky  (Read 5327 times)

trashparty

supportive skate shoes that arent chunky
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »
considering the figgy dose's or something of that matter. i cant skate vulc any more due to foot problems from skate related injuries. i hate chunkers so im looking for something that looks slim but still offers good foot support. insole does not matter as i use a custom orthotic. thanks

Silky Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
Re: supportive skate shoes that arent chunky
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 09:02:37 PM »
OG busenitz

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:04:28 PM »
considering the figgy dose's or something of that matter. i cant skate vulc any more due to foot problems from skate related injuries. i hate chunkers so im looking for something that looks slim but still offers good foot support. insole does not matter as i use a custom orthotic. thanks

If you feel like it: how much were the orthotics?
Worth it?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 09:05:01 PM »
Maybe try NB 574

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 09:35:20 PM »
I really like the adidas 3st 004 - not bulky and good foot protection.

trashparty

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 09:41:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Worth it?

500$. i literally cannot push without feeling pain unless im wearing my customs, so its pretty much a necessity for me at this point. if you dont have a diagnosed foot condition (sesamoiditis in my case) i would recommend FP game changers and save yourself 450$. i wear them in my work/non skate shoes and they help significantly. My homies all seem to really like them as well. but if you do have diagnosed fucked feet, definitely spend the extra cash and get some customs. you wont regret it. feet massagers / contrast baths also help tons after a heavy sesh.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 10:07:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Worth it?
[close]

500$. i literally cannot push without feeling pain unless im wearing my customs, so its pretty much a necessity for me at this point. if you dont have a diagnosed foot condition (sesamoiditis in my case) i would recommend FP game changers and save yourself 450$. i wear them in my work/non skate shoes and they help significantly. My homies all seem to really like them as well. but if you do have diagnosed fucked feet, definitely spend the extra cash and get some customs. you wont regret it. feet massagers / contrast baths also help tons after a heavy sesh.

Thanks!
Do the fp game changers work in the stead of the insoles that come with the shoe? So let’s say....vans, remove the whole popcush/ultracush insole and use just the fp game changers?
Trying to find a foot massager that works as well.

trashparty

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 10:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Worth it?
[close]

[close]

Thanks!
Do the fp game changers work in the stead of the insoles that come with the shoe? So let’s say....vans, remove the whole popcush/ultracush insole and use just the fp game changers?
Trying to find a foot massager that works as well.

Yup, chuck those vans insoles in the trash. i use a hammacher schlemmer foot massager if that helps.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 10:52:59 PM »
you still want a Blazer Mid, you just don't know it yet

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 12:13:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Worth it?
[close]

I have sesamoiditis as well. Unfortunately I have two other issues on the same foot that make buying shoes a living hell. My custom orthotics fit like complete shit in most supportive shoes plus I have a couple bone spurs on the back of my heel where my Achilles attaches so I have to look out for a shoe that fits properly in the heel with my orthotics.

I have been skating a lot of Lakai Griffin and Sheffield shoes over the last few years. They are vulc but my orthotics are carbon fiber from the arch through the heel so it makes most vulcs feel like I am wearing a cup sole. I recently got some Adidas Superstar ADV cup sole shoes. They have a soft foam layer in the footbed that feels great on the forefoot and decent support in the heel. I haven't skated them yet but they are comfy.

Look into the Lakai Atlantic. I have a pair of those as well. They have a soft foam layer under the insole as well. Very comfy. I just don't like the shape of the side wall in the forefoot. Flick is way off for me.

I have been dealing with this for 4 years now. Feel free to hit me up if you want to compare notes.
How much for an order of ribs?

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 12:25:16 AM »
Well, if you are ok with ollie holes after three sessions. Oh yeah and hurt knees because the insoles are hot garbage.

I just ordered Spanky g6s, high hopes for the midsole. If it's anything like Reynolds g6, i will fully recommend checking them out.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 01:06:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Well, if you are ok with ollie holes after three sessions. Oh yeah and hurt knees because the insoles are hot garbage.

I just ordered Spanky g6s, high hopes for the midsole. If it's anything like Reynolds g6, i will fully recommend checking them out.

The OP has custom orthitics, so the shitty insole on the Blazers makes zero difference. I had some Blazer Chukkas that lasted me longer than most shoes I have had in a while. But, when I ollie, I wear the rubber bumper down before it starts to hit the suede. All current Blazers are very solid shoes when you have custom orthotics.
How much for an order of ribs?

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 05:31:23 AM »
Finding supportive cupsoles that I can wear with orthotics is an ongoing obsession for me. Ones that I found supportive for my destroyed feet without being too chunky:
- Adidas Tyshawn - borderline chunky, but I think it looks fine laced up and underneath pants
- Converse Pro Leather
- Vans AVE Pro - tried these on, didn't buy them, but they felt good - not into how they look, but that's me
- NB# Westgate 913 - with a warning: for me, the heel was a little too narrow for my orthotics to sit in them well, and the shoe never stretched around them. I kept having to take off my shoe and adjust my orthotics because of this.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 07:25:34 AM »
eS Swift 1s, or accel slim pluses?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 07:45:39 AM »
Finding supportive cupsoles that I can wear with orthotics is an ongoing obsession for me. Ones that I found supportive for my destroyed feet without being too chunky:
- Adidas Tyshawn - borderline chunky, but I think it looks fine laced up and underneath pants
- Converse Pro Leather
- Vans AVE Pro - tried these on, didn't buy them, but they felt good - not into how they look, but that's me
- NB# Westgate 913 - with a warning: for me, the heel was a little too narrow for my orthotics to sit in them well, and the shoe never stretched around them. I kept having to take off my shoe and adjust my orthotics because of this.

Haven’t had 913s, even tho I really like nb and he’s one of my favorites, because I dunno why.
Out of this list pro leathers are probably my top choice, but sentimental reasons are maybe weighing in too heavily. They skate/flick really well and I love the sole/grip but I can roll around in the shoe some.
The AVE’s are the most locked down safe I’ve felt in a shoe, maybe ever. I don’t have some now to look at it, and I don’t use orthotics, so I’m not sure if they’d work. The shoe had a very stable, but firm feel. Not a lot of cushion, miss them tho. Some people say that shoe doesn’t last for them. Which sucks when you just paid $100. Mine lasted. Extremely well.
I’m skating tyshawn’s right now, I went tts and have super feet running insoles in them. Pebble magnet. Narrow toe. Good, hard/firm rubber sole. Nice height, great tongue. ‘Charming’ lines, almost looks like a Jordan-esque shoe but in a baby’s size. Something about the look of the shoe seem....dunno wtf I’m talking about

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 08:04:15 AM »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 08:08:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I should probably do this. I haven’t had some in so long. I went thru a run of bruins, and some blazers, but it’s been so long I’ve forgotten. Tried the grant’s on and it’s just not a shoe for me.
Blazer’s tts and work with aftermarket insoles?
What’s the most padded shoe? And also most padded vulc?
Please and thanks

Crap

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 08:28:59 AM »
Expand Quote
- Converse Pro Leather
[close]

Haven’t had 913s, even tho I really like nb and he’s one of my favorites, because I dunno why.
Out of this list pro leathers are probably my top choice, but sentimental reasons are maybe weighing in too heavily. They skate/flick really well and I love the sole/grip but I can roll around in the shoe some.
The AVE’s are the most locked down safe I’ve felt in a shoe, maybe ever. I don’t have some now to look at it, and I don’t use orthotics, so I’m not sure if they’d work. The shoe had a very stable, but firm feel. Not a lot of cushion, miss them tho. Some people say that shoe doesn’t last for them. Which sucks when you just paid $100. Mine lasted. Extremely well.
I’m skating tyshawn’s right now, I went tts and have super feet running insoles in them. Pebble magnet. Narrow toe. Good, hard/firm rubber sole. Nice height, great tongue. ‘Charming’ lines, almost looks like a Jordan-esque shoe but in a baby’s size. Something about the look of the shoe seem....dunno wtf I’m talking about

The 913's kind of look like baseball coach shoes, but they got a lot of functional tech stuff in there without making them football sized.

The Pro Leathers had a nice supportive sole (some people will definitely find them too thick/stiff), and locked my foot in well, which can be a problem with orthotics. They held up well, and the suede lasted a while (I had the Cons x Hopps collab ones). My only complaint was that I'd like the heel to have been a little lower - had me feeling just a bit more 'on my toes' than I like. Orthotics push your heel up a little, so if the shoe does that too, it can be too much tilt.

The AVE's were a good fit for my orthotics because they have kind of a half-thickness ultracush insole on top of the midsole. I removed the Ultracush and put my orthotics on top of the midsole, and it seemed like a good fit/cushion/support combo. I can't say how they hold up to skating though, because I find the translucent outsole to be too ugly to buy.

The Tyshawns, I did find the toe a little narrow too, but good otherwise. I liked how firm the sole was (big turn off for me is when outsoles are too soft/floppy). The collar height/cushion was perfect. I had the white leather ones with red stripes, which are the only colourway of that shoe I have really liked. I'm with you on the lines - I generally like the idea of skate shoes that are based on old basketball shoe design.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »
Etnies Marana, Marana Mid, Joslin 1, Joslin 2. All have good padding but not too thick. Removable insoles so replacing with a custom should work well.
Nike SB Dunks with the puffy tongue/collar. Also removable insoles.
Es Silo. Maybe the new Evant but haven't tried so idk. Removable insoles on both.

Blazer Mids... maybe. They're vulc and have good ankle support, plus feel good with the right insoles. Your customs may work well in these since these have removable ones as well.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 11:42:57 AM »
Af2 + game changer if possible. Amazing shoe tho it didn't seem it till I started chilling in them for like two weeks

Last for ever runs half a size smaller than dunks and Blazers

Toe is a funny shape but it will break in to a good shape.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
Af2 + game changer if possible. Amazing shoe tho it didn't seem it till I started chilling in them for like two weeks

Last for ever runs half a size smaller than dunks and Blazers

Toe is a funny shape but it will break in to a good shape.

I definitely fucked up not getting these

trashparty

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »

blazer mid is vulc tho right? i did have a pair of blazer lows a few years back and didnt like them due to durability issues. im not opposed tho if they'll make my feet feel better

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 05:13:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

blazer mid is vulc tho right? i did have a pair of blazer lows a few years back and didnt like them due to durability issues. im not opposed tho if they'll make my feet feel better

Yeah they mids.
People that I’ve seen that really really skate often seem to favor them.
It’s been years for me, I cannot even remember how they felt.
Due to the above recommendations I’m leaning towards getting another pair of AVEs and some fp insoles.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »

emerica laced.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Crap

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 05:20:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they're vulcs. They're good quality vulcs that people really like, but if you have problems with your feet, they aren't going to help. They're good shoes, but they're not what you're looking for. You need a cupsole with a supportive outsole and a well cushioned midsole, and they aren't it.

Someone mentioned the Spanky Emericas a few posts ago, and I'd add those to the list of possible options. Pretty minimal upper, but good support/cushion combo. I tried them on a while ago and they didn't fit my foot well (too narrow in the mid foot, and toe shape was more pointy than I like), but they'd probably be a good option if they fit you.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 06:16:05 AM »

As a older guy with ruined ankles, I tried these and they are pretty good. My ankles did not like OG Busenitz or Busenitz Vulc (honestly think it was the sole that my feet did not like?). There is a high possibility that I go back to half cabs after this though. One of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of dealios.

trashparty

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 04:25:00 PM »
Just to give everyone an update, i ordered a pair of vans AVE's. I have a wide foot which i heard these are good for, as well as a really supportive cup soul. ill update yall with how they perform. for 100$ im expecting good things

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 07:50:18 PM »
Just to give everyone an update, i ordered a pair of vans AVE's. I have a wide foot which i heard these are good for, as well as a really supportive cup soul. ill update yall with how they perform. for 100$ im expecting good things

I think I’m headed for this route again.
Still want to get some fp’s for ‘em tho.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 10:39:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As a older guy with ruined ankles, I tried these and they are pretty good. My ankles did not like OG Busenitz or Busenitz Vulc (honestly think it was the sole that my feet did not like?). There is a high possibility that I go back to half cabs after this though. One of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of dealios.
Old guy here as well and my foot problems are usually big toe(s) related. I love the look and board feel from half cabs but I still try to flip my board often and if I meet up with uncle primo its curtains. I have sworn off vulcs for this reason. Is the newest AVE a cupsole?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 11:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Old guy here as well and my foot problems are usually big toe(s) related. I love the look and board feel from half cabs but I still try to flip my board often and if I meet up with uncle primo its curtains. I have sworn off vulcs for this reason. Is the newest AVE a cupsole?

Newest AVE is a cup.
That new Gilbert is wafflecup? I think? I’m interested in that one.
I’m basically in the same spot: dusty, fragile. And yet have left three days in a row to skate in year old slip on pros (I have a better chance of flipping and landing on the board). Have hobbled back in the door.