Author Topic: 50 years to go...  (Read 1381 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
50 years to go...
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:49:34 PM »
Saw An Inconvienent Truth last night and was just curious what people thought about it? Seems to me like we are pretty fucked.

Maybe not having kids is the right choice at this point for bigger reasons than having to skate less...

STAAFF

• Rep: 0
Re: 50 years to go...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:16:12 PM »
Maybe not....
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=4499562022478442170&q=greenhouse+duration%3Along

But still, don't go for the kids, they're monsters.....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:18:16 PM by STAAFF »
Shpadoinkle!

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:13:34 PM »
if you believe or dont believe in global warming, you should be able to admit we've been going down the shitter real quick. dont believe me, go to the funny myspace thread
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

akimpy0b

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:46:02 PM »
the summers gonna get hotter and the winters gonna get warmer ...it shuld be like a law or somethin to prevent it cause that shit sucks

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »
There's no real scientific debate as to whether or not global warming is happening (at least in academic and research circles)... the debate itself is to what's causing it... man-made vs. a natural cycle.

The thing that gets me about the naysayers though, is that even if our insane CO2 emissions aren't causing it to happen, it's hard to argue that it just isn't good for us.

When you consider the tons of emissions we let out (not just CO2), you have to wonder "what is this shit doing to us?" I mean, we wouldn't stick our faces onto a car exhaust and breathe it because it would kill us within minutes... but when you multiply that by millions, then include every factory with smoke stacks, you can't help but realize that we're turning the planet into a big noxious marble.

If we keep it up, we'll wind up like Venus.

tehmizzark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:58:45 PM »
I bet that movie was so fair and balanced

Bruce Wayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:45:04 PM »
I bet that movie was so fair and balanced
sometimes the "things" and "friends" you enjoy the most, will hurt you the most, and play an ultimate factor in how you leave this earth.
-sheffledge
half of you probably cant even tre.

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »
Saw An Inconvienent Truth last night and was just curious what people thought about it? Seems to me like we are pretty fucked.

Maybe not having kids is the right choice at this point for bigger reasons than having to skate less...

thats a pretty pessimistic world outlook....

"dinks" are always the most selfish people

Claude

• Rep: 15
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 12:38:31 AM »
Global warming is such a fucking stupid term. Climate Change is alot more appropriate because not all areas are getting warmer. Also the change in precipitation patterns has more dire consequences then the warming of the earth. Most areas that are projected to be hit hardest by "global warming" won't be affected so much by an increased temperature but instead by more fucked up precipitation patterns.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 12:45:57 AM »
................so no super hurricanes that insta-freeze everything in its path i mean gawwwdayum that was rad!

dave v-house

• Rep: 15
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 12:46:19 AM »
Seriously, fuck that movie. Any person who has been politically or enviromentally aware would already know that we're fucking up the planet. Aside from the content being bland the movie itself was lame too. What was with the five minute departures to talk about Al Gore's childhood on the farm, or him caring about his kids? It had nothing to do with the movie! To me it seemed like a very clever way to get Al Gore to appeal to more of liberal audience. Seriously, if you care about CO2 emissions, ride your skate more, or get a bike, or think about where your money is going and stop supporting shitty corporations.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 04:26:47 AM »
The movie definitely had a political motive but watching the movie also made me realize that Al Gore has been presuing a life long political motive and this movie is just him doing what he has been doing since the 70s. I felt very comfortable the scientific data that was presented and that Al Gore really believes in what he is doing. It's kind of refreshing to see a poltician going after something noble for a change.

Sure skeptics could critisize the use of music and editing and say that Al Gore was being dramatic. There were moments of that but at the same time I think they did that to help the movie be less boring and I don't feel it distracted from the facts they presented or exagurated the science. If the hole thing was just one big lecture by Al Gore to college students it would have been pretty dull and I think it only helped to make it a more interesting watch.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 07:45:09 AM »
the feel good movie of the year....

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 09:58:40 AM »
Seriously, fuck that movie. Any person who has been politically or enviromentally aware would already know that we're fucking up the planet. Aside from the content being bland the movie itself was lame too. What was with the five minute departures to talk about Al Gore's childhood on the farm, or him caring about his kids? It had nothing to do with the movie! To me it seemed like a very clever way to get Al Gore to appeal to more of liberal audience. Seriously, if you care about CO2 emissions, ride your skate more, or get a bike, or think about where your money is going and stop supporting shitty corporations.
You don't support the movie because you feel like people should have already known about global climate change? That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. Hating on the movie because you believe in some crackpot theory that this is all just a coincidence makes more sense than that. What about the people that didn't know enough about it and were informed because of the movie? If you support fighting global warming than how can you logically oppose this movie? It has made HUGE waves and is really shifting a lot of focus onto the issue. You seem to use the traditional "this rallies the supporters and doesn't change minds" argument about this movie, like it was Farenheit 9/11 or something. But its not. It HAS already made a huge difference, and will continue to do so, and if you do want t ochange what is going on in the atmosphere, wouldn't that make this movie amazing, even if you didn't find it good to watch?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 11:25:37 AM »
In the movie they reviewed 650,000 years of both tempature and percipitation which are directly coorelated. The spike over the last centry is unprecedented in that 650,000 year time frame for both metrics. It could be a coincidence however it seems extremely unlikely.

blank

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »
vegans a fag