Author Topic: Parts you thought sucked but you were wrong  (Read 1582 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
Parts you thought sucked but you were wrong
« on: May 06, 2020, 06:05:51 PM »
Not cool. Not progressive. No switch. Weird music. That’s what I thought at the time. Now—fucking rips and no one seems to care about switch anymore.

What you got?

GMann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
Re: Parts you thought sucked but you were wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 05:07:57 AM »
I wouldnt say they “sucked”, but there were a lot of parts that I underrated back in the day because I didnt realize how much of them were switchstance or how difficult flipping into manuals actually is.

In Love Child:

Daniel Castillo: I honestly thought I was better than him or at least as good, because he diesnt do any 360 flips or stairs. Now I realize how hard all those manuals are, and that switch heelflip to manual NBD, I never payed enough attention to realize that was switch.

Chico Brenes: not that great of a part but a lot of it is switch, which I maybe had not noticed back in the day.

Shiloh: I always liked this part, but now I respect it even more because I noticed the big spin flip down the stairs was switch, an NBD. And those manual tricks I now know are not easy.

Video Days: Gonz part I used to think was the least good part in the vid but I now know it is by far the best part because I noticed how much was switch. And a lot of those quirky, simple manual and pivit tricks in lines are a lot harder than they look.

Sean Sheffy in the girl videos: i never noticed how much of his skating in those videos is switch. One of the disadvantages of going so fast and so big is that people tend to categorize you and not notice you are riding switch.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 05:56:56 AM »
Seeing Gonz Sheffey and Jeremy Klein on this list is troubling.

FredGallsBallz

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 06:03:06 AM »
Every Paulo Diaz part ever.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 07:19:43 AM »
I didn't appreciate Jeff lenoce when I was young but now I do

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
i got kooked to shit for it but when i first saw the evan smith experience i kind of hated on it.

i was very wrong this part is great

more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »
I didn't appreciate Jeff lenoce when I was young but now I do

This is the truth. Not that I ever thought he sucked at all but I didn’t pay him much mind early on. I think it was like 24 before I really appreciated that switch heel in the striped shirt.

Can’t remember what podcast or commentary track pointed out how close he pops to the courthouse ledge on his ender but ever since I heard that it’s all I can pay attention to on rewatches. It’s insane.

I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »
used to skip this part when i was a kid. i just didnt understand what was happening.  now this shit is gold!!!!

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:04:02 PM »
Not cool. Not progressive. No switch. Weird music. That’s what I thought at the time. Now—fucking rips and no one seems to care about switch anymore.

What you got?

That part aged well. ^

Mansymbols

• Rep: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 04:22:13 AM »
Mark Rusczyk in art bars, loved that video in general, but was too young to appreciate how hard and varied everything in that part was. Never thought it sucked but definitely has gotten way better over time.

Copthorne14

• Rep: -24
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 04:59:10 AM »
Chris Senn - jump off a building

I was really into tech skating when this came out and thought it was lame, clearly in retrospect Chris Senn absolutely hucks it and it's a beast.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 05:02:59 AM »
Habitat Fred Gall.

Bobby Lashley

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:21:17 AM »
The audio is fucked, but I had a teacher that would put this vhs during skate club on before going to The vans indoor park. I used to think It was boring, but it was some good shots of the combi in the early 2000’s. And just classic rugged bowl skating. I think they show boobies in their Somewhere

BurntPorridge

• Rep: -4
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 07:40:30 PM »
Jerry Hsu, I didn't think he sucked but I didn't realise he was skating switch for the majority of a part and didn't properly appreciate it until watching it again a few years on.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:42:23 PM by BurntPorridge »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
Chris Senn - jump off a building

I was really into tech skating when this came out and thought it was lame, clearly in retrospect Chris Senn absolutely hucks it and it's a beast.

I was also really into tech skating at the time. I wish I had diversified my bonds and learned wallies and hill bombs.
I remember watching this part with the hesh kids in town. Chris Senn was their champ. I didn’t like him as a skater, because I liked fresh shit, but also because he would win every contest with ollie, ollie, ollie, 50/50, ollie, albeit on huge obstacles. Shit just looked fucking corny, some weird wooden snowboard ramps. Had I witnessed all of the era’s skating in person, I’m sure I would have felt differently. Anyways, we are watching this video and then homie does the half cab flip at 2:25 and several of us just bust out laughing. Soggiest.
I don’t think the part rules, but I wish I had spent some time doing this, instead of going so slow doing bad nollie flips.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:12:19 PM by Ok »