Author Topic: what kinda jeans do you skate in?  (Read 6561 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: what kinda jeans do you skate in?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 06:00:13 AM »
Alright, time to participate instead of lurking. Levi’s 501 (shrink to fit). My thing is to wash them once and skate in them like 20 times or until they’re absolutely disgusting to wear. After another wash, they’re perfectly broken-in and look awesome. It’s a case of gear madness possibly resulting in more skateboarding.
wash, and dry, that first time? Size up in the waist?

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2020, 07:30:46 AM »
Gap....athletic fit. 

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2020, 08:29:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Alright, time to participate instead of lurking. Levi’s 501 (shrink to fit). My thing is to wash them once and skate in them like 20 times or until they’re absolutely disgusting to wear. After another wash, they’re perfectly broken-in and look awesome. It’s a case of gear madness possibly resulting in more skateboarding.
[close]

I go up one size in the waist and one or two sizes in length depending on if I want a cuff or not. First wash is inside-out with a tiny bit of detergent and then I hang dry or lay them flat on a towel in the sun. They’ll be really stiff and uncomfortable at first, but just go as long as you can tolerate before washing them again. Wash inside out and air dry from then on.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2020, 01:16:14 PM »
Dickies has good jeans on amazon for like $20. I usually skate in the slim taper work pant but I like their jeans as well. They fit in a way that makes me feel like Jon Dickson when I skate.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I go up one size in the waist and one or two sizes in length depending on if I want a cuff or not. First wash is inside-out with a tiny bit of detergent and then I hang dry or lay them flat on a towel in the sun. They’ll be really stiff and uncomfortable at first, but just go as long as you can tolerate before washing them again. Wash inside out and air dry from then on.
I used to be way more into jeans and did exactly this with a pair of 501 STFs back in the day. I even wore them around while they dried after the first wash. They were one of the best fitting pair of jeans I've ever had. If they made them in straight black, I'd definitely do it again.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I used to be way more into jeans and did exactly this with a pair of 501 STFs back in the day. I even wore them around while they dried after the first wash. They were one of the best fitting pair of jeans I've ever had. If they made them in straight black, I'd definitely do it again.

Ah yeah, did that one back when too. To think I ever considered them baggy... I do think the jet black non-STFs look pretty sharp, but certainly don't benefit from hard wearing in the same way. The jet black ones also have a weirdly low rise now.

I think it's safe to say that we've put far too much thought into these jeans.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2020, 02:05:16 AM »
I buy whatever I can find cheap and nice at the local 2nd hand stores.

Right now it’s one pair of Ben Davis rip-off C-Large jeans, and one pair of some Japanese brand that looks to be from around 98-99.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2020, 09:27:38 AM »
I like 501s because they are sexy.
 Comfort wise you can't beat a Wrangler.
This is all vintage tho. I don't fuck with the new shit
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Digital Rasta

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »
Levi's 514's and 513's with stretch. I stocked up on multiple pairs throughout the last decade cause they are literally the best fitting pants I've ever worn and I knew back then that nothing so good would last. I don't skate in them all the time but when I do the ones with 2% elastane feel the best. Two pairs of my 514's are corduroy and they are the most comfy by far. 514's have a 9" leg opening and 513's are 8" across the front of the hem. Perfect straight leg look

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2020, 10:10:21 AM »
Jordache

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2020, 01:47:03 PM »
Luckily I kept my baggy jeans from the 90s. I skate in Polar surf pants and vans glide chinos 80% of the time. In winter, I came across a loose Airwalk jeans at Marshalls and they fit great. But otherwise I use my old jeans (Nautica Big Ez, Carhart relaxed, Old Navy Extra Loose)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »
last time i skated in semi straight cut jeans it took huge patches of hair off my calves
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tyshoes

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »
last time i skated in semi straight cut jeans it took huge patches of hair off my calves

I know skaters like to follow fashion trends, but tight jeans are just not good for skating.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
Anything baggy makes me look shorter, so I get slim fit jeans with that stretch material built in.  In the cold weather/pandemic, I've mostly been skating in sweatpants though.

I've never read a more true post in my life. Always thought it was just me who couldn't pull off the baggy look. Just makes me look disproportionate haha.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 78
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
The secret to baggy pants, and pants in general, is taper. Any hint of bootcut make you look silly.
With slight taper, it will drape nicer, and look nicer when cuffed too. Oh and ofc, ideally not worn way too big, and worn at the waist.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2020, 11:37:42 AM »
levi silvertab 

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2020, 01:11:39 PM »
Levi's 541 Athletic Fit.
Some of the best jeans I've skated in a long time. I've been almost strictly Chinos from Volcom for the past 7 years and those were great non-jean option, too.
The pockets aren't my favorite since I've had small items slide out of them while sitting down, but for skating, they are awesome! Fit is loose enough and moves with you, not against as you while you skate.

https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothing/men/jeans/c/levi_clothing_men_jeans/facets/feature-fit_name/541%E2%84%A2
Super Champion Fun Zone

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »
add another to the levi 541 gang -- they're basically the only jeans/pants i skate in
:) I must have been tripping last night

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2020, 03:43:27 PM »
Dickies 5 pocket work pants are super good for skating in.  They run weirdly small, so I go a size up and they fit pretty much perfectly.  Cut like a pair of jeans, material is super tough, light, comfy.   

https://www.dickies.com/pants/flex-regular-fit-straight-leg-tough-max-duck-5-pocket-pants/DP803.html

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2020, 06:46:58 PM »
levis 550

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2020, 08:07:14 PM »
Carhartt B13 or thrifted levis 550

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2020, 08:16:19 PM »
I wear whatever skate brand jeans I can at goodwill or whatever thrift I'm at. Currently have a pair of Girl, Emerica and Fourstar in my rotation. Shits are nice but this pandemic bs is getting in my way of stockpiling gear.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2020, 10:11:01 PM »
Shoutout to you fuckin animals skating in true to your size Levi 501 stfs. Favorite jeans ever, but they are not exactly flexible. Unless I’m going something really wrong. I do need to lose some weight. Carhartt’s are nice, just the regular dbl knee. I’ve had tons of jeans that skated ok, for a short time, in the past, but unless the jeans had a stupid diaper butt amount of stretch, I always ripped them. Spastic ollie vibes maybe.
I went to the Levi’s storefront not long before covid and was impressed to learn that they did not have 501 stfs. It was a real old person moment for me.
To those that are/(were before the quarantine) thrifting jeans: I assume you are young and pretty. The few times I’ve gone I see very little that looks decent, but my younger co-workers always come up. I’ve decided it’s because they just look good enough in whatever.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2020, 12:51:34 AM »
Can't do any strech in my jeans. The knees will get saggy and they rip much more easily..

My go tos are of course 501s, i have a pair from seventies, it's a bit looser than newer ones. Also a.p.c. makes quality jeans. I have a pair of the petit standards and the selfedge denim is tuff and very comfortable to wear. Maybe my favorite of all time. Downside is that they are a bit tapered for todays beauty standards at least for skateboarding. But I'm not a baggy guy so it doesnt bother me as much..

My tip for sick patina/fades is to wash them once a year in the ocean and use sand as a washer. Just remember to rinse them in fresh water before drying them in the sun..

Vintagebody

• Rep: 78
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2020, 12:52:56 AM »
APC is legit, but they are expensive. But in general they are one of the "higher" end brands thats actually worth it per say

tyshoes

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2020, 01:10:03 AM »
Anyone try these yet? The stitching is a lil weird but 50% off. Edit: I decided to pull the trigger on these as they got me curious.

https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/apparel/clothing/bottoms/levis-engineered-jeans-570-baggy-taper-jeans/p/727770009
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:47:59 AM by tyshoes »

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2020, 07:27:55 AM »
I'm kinda fucked because all my favorite jeans were Roebucks and Land's End. I got a few pairs dirt cheap when my Sears was closing, but should've gotten more. The Land's End ones are about as thick as can be without feeling boxy.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2020, 10:40:04 AM »
I'm kinda fucked because all my favorite jeans were Roebucks and Land's End. I got a few pairs dirt cheap when my Sears was closing, but should've gotten more. The Land's End ones are about as thick as can be without feeling boxy.

Haven't had any in ages but back in the day I had some light wash Land's End jeans that were cut exactly like a pair of Blind jeans. They were my favorite and I have no idea what ever became of them.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2020, 10:41:47 AM »
thrifted levis 550

Thrift or eBay one size up

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
I love the Denizen by Levis 218s at Target.   Despite the cheap price, this pair has lasted me over a year of skating and working on cars/motorcycles.  They have a nice stretch but the overall fit is not too slim to move freely in.

https://www.target.com/p/denizen-174-from-levi-s-174-men-s-218-straight-fit-jeans/-/A-54551691?preselect=52581716#lnk=sametab

I second the denizens but I wear the 232’s. I’ll buy Levi’s for $30 all day.