Author Topic: Tony Alva  (Read 1804 times)

thepman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
Tony Alva
« on: March 12, 2011, 05:17:49 PM »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
Re: Tony Alva
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »
shalom. up
9/11 was a national tragedy

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
Presented by: Matador Beef Jerky­™

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:31:43 AM »
Presented by: Matador Beef Jerky­™

keep em down

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 01:37:44 PM »

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 03:57:06 PM »

this is great and cant wait. especially when that dude mentions HAWK on one side and Alva and the crew. poor tony...

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 03:35:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is great and cant wait. especially when that dude mentions HAWK on one side and Alva and the crew. poor tony...

I was around in the 80s, and Tony Hawk and his ilk were regarded as being far cooler, and culturally aware than the likes of the Alva Posse.

Tony was into X, Devo, New Order, his favourite film is Repo Man, he probably read Less Than Zero and had a girlfriend who was into Duran Duran and looked a bit like Molly Ringwold.

The Alva Posse looked like they were into shit like Nugent, Kiss and Anthrax, probably called those who liked Run DMC and Public Enemy "faggots", went to see the Rambo film, and never read a book.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 05:30:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I was around in the 80s, and Tony Hawk and his ilk were regarded as being far cooler, and culturally aware than the likes of the Alva Posse.

Tony was into X, Devo, New Order, his favourite film is Repo Man, he probably read Less Than Zero and had a girlfriend who was into Duran Duran and looked a bit like Molly Ringwold.

The Alva Posse looked like they were into shit like Nugent, Kiss and Anthrax, probably called those who liked Run DMC and Public Enemy "faggots", went to see the Rambo film, and never read a book.

you mean by common people or that was the perception of them by skateboarders?

Hanna Schygulla

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
No overall disrespect to Tony, but the quick sketch of what you consider "cool" and engaged in the '80s mostly  just reveals your level of taste. Liking those things together would've made you more of a neoliberal narc-"creative" working as an adman in marketing. For a contemporary equivalent, it might be like calling Austyn Gilette cool while there's the 917 team or the Atlantic Drifters skating amongst us.

"Repo Man" is good, as was Devo in their time. Bret Easton Ellis, John Hughes starlets, Duran Duran, and yes, New Order was not (although it's worth noting in this context that the Alva guys were really into Joy Division). X had their place, especially really early, and John and Exene's voices snaking around each other can be pretty neat, but Billy Zoom was and is one of the worst right wing pieces of shit.

The Alva Posse was a mixed bag. I'll agree that Duncan, Eddie Reategui, and Danforth pretty much fit your profile. Fred Smith was cool, in the later days Mario Rubalcalba and Jesse Neuhaus were awesome, and Alva himself was complicated: in some ways very cool, in others not. However, the Team THC subset of the team – John Thomas, Jef Hartsel, and Chris Cook – absolutely fucking ruled. Cooksie was my fave: weird nosewheelie variations, fakie wallrides, the earliest polejam attempts (on vertical poles), over-decked rock-and-rolls on deckless ramps, teaching Julien Stranger slappies,  skating Pacifica's demented gunnite Devil's Pit far better than anyone, doing micro-edgers when that trick was forgotten, and all with great style. He even did the first (stationary, sloppy) kickflip on a non-freestyle board in a video. Basically, he was about doing weird, original shit, with good taste.

The Alva crew had a rep for being troglodytes, and that held true to a point, but they were kind of the pioneers of being extremely non-corporate and organic in everything they did...they definitely paved the way for (the better aspects of) Anti-Hero, GX1000, et al. The self-aggrandizement would get old, but they were also fighting a bit of a culture war against A LOT of bullshit in skating the '80s.  Lastly, the boards themselves were really good and having Mondo Beck airbrush many of them uniquely by hand was really cool and something no one else was gonna do.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They were into raggae im pretty sure. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
No overall disrespect to Tony, but the quick sketch of what you consider "cool" and engaged in the '80s mostly  just reveals your level of taste. Liking those things together would've made you more of a neoliberal narc-"creative" working as an adman in marketing. For a contemporary equivalent, it might be like calling Austyn Gilette cool while there's the 917 team or the Atlantic Drifters skating amongst us.

"Repo Man" is good, as was Devo in their time. Bret Easton Ellis, John Hughes starlets, Duran Duran, and yes, New Order was not (although it's worth noting in this context that the Alva guys were really into Joy Division). X had their place, especially really early, and John and Exene's voices snaking around each other can be pretty neat, but Billy Zoom was and is one of the worst right wing pieces of shit.

The Alva Posse was a mixed bag. I'll agree that Duncan, Eddie Reategui, and Danforth pretty much fit your profile. Fred Smith was cool, in the later days Mario Rubalcalba and Jesse Neuhaus were awesome, and Alva himself was complicated: in some ways very cool, in others not. However, the Team THC subset of the team – John Thomas, Jef Hartsel, and Chris Cook – absolutely fucking ruled. Cooksie was my fave: weird nosewheelie variations, fakie wallrides, the earliest polejam attempts (on vertical poles), over-decked rock-and-rolls on deckless ramps, teaching Julien Stranger slappies,  skating Pacifica's demented gunnite Devil's Pit far better than anyone, doing micro-edgers when that trick was forgotten, and all with great style. He even did the first (stationary, sloppy) kickflip on a non-freestyle board in a video. Basically, he was about doing weird, original shit, with good taste.

The Alva crew had a rep for being troglodytes, and that held true to a point, but they were kind of the pioneers of being extremely non-corporate and organic in everything they did...they definitely paved the way for (the better aspects of) Anti-Hero, GX1000, et al. The self-aggrandizement would get old, but they were also fighting a bit of a culture war against A LOT of bullshit in skating the '80s.  Lastly, the boards themselves were really good and having Mondo Beck airbrush many of them uniquely by hand was really cool and something no one else was gonna do.
  "in their time" ?!

Hanna Schygulla

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 10:33:58 AM »
Fair enough, scratch "in their time". It's just a time thing; Devo is vital and brilliant, but everything influential eventually becomes "dad rock" to a degree at some point. I just hate old dudes who stopped engaging in culture 35 years ago, and it depresses me when young kids put too much emphasis on the greatness of the old heads and don't engage with the culture of their own time enough. There's been generations of Devo skate punk kids who never went further. There's a balance between an education and stagnation.

But please, let's keep the dialogue about the Alva Posse and not New Order.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 10:42:50 AM »
Fair enough, scratch "in their time". It's just a time thing; Devo is vital and brilliant, but everything influential eventually becomes "dad rock" to a degree at some point. I just hate old dudes who stopped engaging in culture 35 years ago, and it depresses me when young kids put too much emphasis on the greatness of the old heads and don't engage with the culture of their own time enough. There's been generations of Devo skate punk kids who never went further. There's a balance between an education and stagnation.

But please, let's keep the dialogue about the Alva Posse and not New Order.
   Yes those old bowl trolls tend to include Devo in their tired af playlists for sure.  Right in there with the 'Tallica and whatever else shit.  New music is good too i agree.