Author Topic: Leo Valls  (Read 1664 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
Leo Valls
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:46:56 AM »
I tried to look but apparently this thread has not been done before?
I know some guys dislike the powerslide/slappy/wallride thing Leo Valls got into these last few years, but I actually love his skating more now than before when has doing "standard" tricks. I just love seeing someone come up with their own style and push it to the max. he looks natural on a board and the way he puts tricks together is amazing. dancing and grooving ma cherie.
anyways being French I might be biased.....but I put him up there with Gonz, Oyola, Barley, Carroll and a few others in my personal top 10 of faves to watch. I'd love it if someone posts stuff here I haven't seen from him....

the Old Woops new groove part is the one that got me really stoked on Magenta and made me buy their boards.... :P

this one just dropped btw!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:10:34 PM by OldieButFrenchie »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Leo Valls
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »
I like his style.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »
Leo Valls is sick and underrated. Someone find the interview where Sage said he and Swan Pablo were obsessed with Leo around 2010 and kept trying to skate like him.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 11:27:18 AM »
no.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 11:29:44 AM »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 01:22:37 PM »
I never get tired of his slidey, slappy, wallridey style. So much fun to watch. Shinpei ueno does a bunch of cool shit in a similar vein as well

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 02:27:03 PM »
shit he does kinda look like Screech!
never mind that, his powerslide-to-ledge trick combos freak me out.....and I'd love to be able to wallie fs railslide I'd do it all day. noway I could learn that, but gonna try some new powerslide stuff the next time I skate for sure...good low impact cardio workout.
and Shinpei uneo is dope thanks didn't know him! loved this.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:30:48 PM by OldieButFrenchie »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 02:42:28 PM »
Damn that Shinpei clip had slipped below my radar before, LENZ III is going to be so good.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »
Leo is amazing. Watching his stuff always makes me want to grab my board have a sesh.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 06:52:09 PM »
First thing i saw of him is still the best. I liked the whoops era skting but hes lost me a little with the grabs, just not my thing. Still always check his stuff though

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 11:33:22 PM »
First thing i saw of him is still the best. I liked the whoops era skting but hes lost me a little with the grabs, just not my thing. Still always check his stuff though

damn I'd never seen that! thanks. So he's been pro 11 years already, solid.

->Silhouette: knew you'd find your way to this thread!  ;) so pardon my ignorance, what is Lenz III?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 02:44:37 AM »
->Silhouette: knew you'd find your way to this thread!  ;) so pardon my ignorance, what is Lenz III?

The sequel to the first two "LENZ" videos Shinpei Ueno and his crew have done in the past, under the brand name Tightbooth. Said videos helped put Japanese skateboarding on the map in the West, now their first productions tended to copy Takahiro Morita's video aesthetics a bit too much but overseas, most people could never tell and over the years, I'd say they found their own niche/style eventually. Third one is in the works and should be dropping this year.

Don't sleep on one of the best parts of the 2010's:

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 04:47:19 AM »
merci!
and that was dope too, these japanese cats are on point....one more reason to make it there one day....I hope!!

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 06:24:30 AM »
I like Valls :) it differs from really loving him, to thinking that he's in the danger of becoming his own cliche. When he first came out he mixed all the spinny/screechy stuff with some traditional tech street skating, and I have always loved that aspect of him! Then at some point he almost abandoned traditional skating, and that wasn't so much my taste. But the latest stuff I have seen from him has been really great again!

I can't remember where it is from (at work right now, and I don't have the time to see every clip that has been posted), but I remember there is a clip of him - I think it is in NYC - where skitches a taxi, and then afterwards he does a nollie flip at light speed. That clip is so satisfying! (and scary)

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 08:31:08 AM »
In case you missed it eleven years ago, this whole video but especially the Bordeaux part is worth rewatching.

By Romain Batard, Olivier Fanchon, Aymeric Bertrand. Young Oscar Candon gets last part IIRC.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 04:59:40 AM »
In case you missed it eleven years ago, this whole video but especially the Bordeaux part is worth rewatching.

By Romain Batard, Olivier Fanchon, Aymeric Bertrand. Young Oscar Candon gets last part IIRC.

mmm c'est bon ca merci  :D
I had never even heard of that one!

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 07:02:58 AM »

Damn, half way through and this is great!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 07:07:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bordeaux part starts around the 28:40 mark IIRC. If you liked it, from a different region and crew but in a similar vein (just more local), you might like "Crosswalk" by Pacome Gabrillagues and the crew from Rennes including parts of some now established French names (Hugo Maillard, Quentin Chambry) from back when they were super young:

https://vimeo.com/crosswalkvideo

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 07:24:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Bordeaux part starts around the 28:40 mark IIRC. If you liked it, from a different region and crew but in a similar vein (just more local), you might like "Crosswalk" by Pacome Gabrillagues and the crew from Rennes including parts of some now established French names (Hugo Maillard, Quentin Chambry) from back when they were super young:

https://vimeo.com/crosswalkvideo

Awesome, thanks a lot!

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 04:39:05 PM »
Love Leo’s skating. So smooth, motherfucker dances and it’s great. His approach to skating and spots is refreshing and exciting; Glen Fox (and Magenta as a whole) too. Just Cruise is one of my favorite videos ever. Also seems like a good human off the board too—skate urbanism stuff is rad. I gotta check out all the videos in this thread now.

DC should give him a shoe.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

zoidberg

• Rep: -3
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
i like his style but like others i rarely enjoy street grabs

he made me really enjoy backside 360s without leaving the ground

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 02:26:22 AM »

dude I just learned those 360 powerslides, they're so fun! wish I could do them again, but I broke my elbow right afterwards.....  :-\
actually the older I get, the more appealing his style of skating becomes. I think I'll end just skating flatground cause there's less chances of injury.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 06:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dude I just learned those 360 powerslides, they're so fun! wish I could do them again, but I broke my elbow right afterwards.....  :-\
actually the older I get, the more appealing his style of skating becomes. I think I'll end just skating flatground cause there's less chances of injury.

On the topic of flatground spinners:

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »
Leo was super fun to watch when he was skating more "normal" too. His footage in Magenta's SF Hill Street Blues will get you stoked.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2196
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »
I am yet to dislike any of this Valls guy’s stuff.
Shit he does is deceptively simple looking, then you head out to give it a try yourself & quickly realize there’s a lot going on.
Always looking forward to more from this dude. Smooth gold.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?