Author Topic: Studio Setups/Gear thread  (Read 1698 times)

Mew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -31
Studio Setups/Gear thread
« on: May 11, 2020, 03:10:52 AM »
My setup is pretty basic right now just an MPC and some headphones.

Sona

• Rep: -82
Re: Studio Setups/Gear thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 05:29:50 AM »
lmao nerds
~

Mew

• Rep: -31
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 05:59:31 AM »
Gonna use my wave for a midi keyboard but too lazy to set it up right now

Mog

• Rep: -166
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 04:39:37 AM »

Ordered pre-owned t shirts online that are kinda sick (2 Simpsons tees, Joy Division and Cro-Mags tees, and a shirt with a native american girl staring into flames) . I usually wear flannels so my t-shirt game w

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 04:54:03 AM »
That thing is pretty self sufficient but I dunno how you can make music in strictly headphones

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »
Oh hell yeah i'm making my new studio at the moment.

Krile

• Rep: -91
  • I train moogles
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 05:34:47 AM »
Oh hell yeah i'm making my new studio at the moment.

I'm listening
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

Smit1h

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:29:36 PM »
This is a very nice setup, thanks for sharing the setup information mcdvoice.

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 05:24:03 AM »
This is a very nice setup, thanks for sharing the setup information mcdvoice.

Nice try bot Mew outplayed you by posting 1 piece of gear that ain't a setup fool
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 05:27:14 AM »
damn i forgot ACID existed. I'm a hardware junkie so an entirely in the box setup will never suffice for me I'm too used to patchbays and mixing boards.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 05:40:13 AM »

The Mac broke so I been using old cd burning work stations in conjunction with the Motu.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 05:47:11 AM »
Sweet that reminds of several of my friends setups, back when I had friends.

I've never fucked with Macs took my dumbass long enough to learn Windows

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 05:56:05 AM »
I use Cubase for softsynths and tempomapping and send MTC out to my MPC, setup all my parts on hardware and record into Soundscape which feels like a mixer to me.

If I had to genre my music it would be postpunk/darktechno or someshit. I spend more time programming video game style music just for my own amusement. I like to play around with polyrhythms and self generating patches but typically don't record that stuff as it usually lacks trajectory.

Next software purchase I want to make is this Pipe Organ software that sounds really good I forget what it's called. Next hardware piece I'm after is the Nord Wave 2

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 07:02:15 AM »
I have so much trouble doing vocals. That's why I keep doing noisecore.

I make beats but people always start talking trap with me. Most of my beats were made in 2007. I don't think trap was in existence at that time.

I'm more into Hurst cruiser beats again like three 6
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 07:38:33 AM »
For me vocals become easier the more structured my concept is.

If I start from nothing it usually goes beat, bassline, chords, melody, vocals, embellishments.

If you conceptualize an album title/concept and make up song titles that adhere to the theme it's easier to start flushing out individual subthemes or sidestories.

In my opinion the good music and songs already exist in potentiality it's just up to you the musician to uncover the tone rows and melodies that get your point across most concisely.

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 04:04:30 PM »
UI looked pretty cancerous in my opinion but I'm harsh and not very acidy. I hated Protools and Ableton too. Pretty sure I just hate computers in general honestly but I can't seem to get away from them. Half tempted to buy some tape and use some old tape machines my Dad has sitting around but I don't even know if it's being made in the size I would need. Only reason I use a computer at all to made music is the reverb plugins. Recording is inconsequential to me at this point as I don't care about making money and don't want an audience.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 01:20:40 AM »

XDJ-RX2 & KRK classic 5s. quarantine bedroom rave in full effect.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 04:55:57 AM »
That's sweet I've never owned a DJ controller but they look so fun

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 11:47:21 PM »
That's sweet I've never owned a DJ controller but they look so fun
it’s more of an all in one media player than a controller since you can use it with just USBs. it’s great, i got sick of bringing my SB3 to gigs and wanted to get more comfortable with CDJs, which even tho i’ve player for years never got enough time on them outside of gigs to get really used to them. anyway, it’s great. absolutely phenomenal unit. would like to get my hands on CDJ-2000s and a DJM-900 but i’ll have to save for a good while before spending around 5k on that set up.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Garnet

• Rep: -87
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 03:47:39 AM »

Ocelot

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 06:58:18 AM »

Ocelot

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 07:01:06 AM »
I use Cubase for softsynths and tempomapping and send MTC out to my MPC, setup all my parts on hardware and record into Soundscape which feels like a mixer to me.

If I had to genre my music it would be postpunk/darktechno or someshit. I spend more time programming video game style music just for my own amusement. I like to play around with polyrhythms and self generating patches but typically don't record that stuff as it usually lacks trajectory.

Next software purchase I want to make is this Pipe Organ software that sounds really good I forget what it's called. Next hardware piece I'm after is the Nord Wave 2

If you're into that stuff I wouldn't get a nord wave 2

Maybe an ms20

Garnet

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 07:07:39 AM »
I owned a vintage ms-20 and sold it. I have the software version which sounds the same to my ears. I owned both revs of the ms-20. rev1 is better for distortion sounds and processing, rev 2 is better for bass and leads.

The softsynths sound pretty damn analog to my ears lately. I'm not really lusting after any hardware currently so getting a nordwave 2 would just be me wanting to support Clavia. I really like the feel and look of their keyboards. 

Ocelot

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 12:12:38 PM »
I owned a vintage ms-20 and sold it. I have the software version which sounds the same to my ears. I owned both revs of the ms-20. rev1 is better for distortion sounds and processing, rev 2 is better for bass and leads.

The softsynths sound pretty damn analog to my ears lately. I'm not really lusting after any hardware currently so getting a nordwave 2 would just be me wanting to support Clavia. I really like the feel and look of their keyboards.

I think the Nordwave 2 uses a Fatar keyboard bed, which is the best yeh

But the Prophet 6 and OB6 both use the same keybed too and they're hands down the best synths money can buy

If you're committed to using softsynths though look into U-he's "Diva", it's pretty amazing, probably the most "analog" sounding softsynth going, does 4 hardware emulations really well

Garnet

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »
I played an OB-6 at Moog Music in Toronto and liked it a lot. If I had money I'd be looking for a used desktop version. It's a modern classic for sure.

I don't really care about analog or digital when it comes to synths as long it's musical and fun I'll coax something out of it. If I go to softsynths it's usually for emulations of vintage pieces.

I'd like to get into modular but it just seems like a money pit so I buy individual synths usually.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 02:34:40 AM »
I hate fiddling around with gear now so I pretty much just use Ableton, VST's and an audio editor. Using u-he Diva a lot at the moment.

I have a Nord Lead2X, Digitakt,MPC1000, mics, bass and pedals. Feel guilty for not using them now.

I spent a lot of my 20's being on and off homelessness  so having a lot of posessions can start to bug me out a bit. Part of me feels like I don't deserve it and another part of me feels like it's unnecessary.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2021, 06:42:15 AM »
Bumping this thread to ask for some advice…

Anybody have a good, cheap simple audio interface they can recommend?  My bands in the past have always recorded analog with a Tascam 4 track, but I really want to start recording more than one guitar track and be able to add extra noise if I wanted.

I found the M-audio m track online for cheap, but reviews are so so.  I only need one XLR and one 1/4” input. 

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2021, 03:16:30 PM »
ableton 11
uad apollo twin mkii
yamaha hs5
squier strat
sm58

still waiting on the sm7b and arturia keylab 49. anyone have any experiences with the spdsx?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2021, 03:24:09 PM »
Bumping this thread to ask for some advice…

Anybody have a good, cheap simple audio interface they can recommend?  My bands in the past have always recorded analog with a Tascam 4 track, but I really want to start recording more than one guitar track and be able to add extra noise if I wanted.

I found the M-audio m track online for cheap, but reviews are so so.  I only need one XLR and one 1/4” input.

Any of the Focusrite Scarlet models are good. I would sell you mine if I still had it, but I just can't adapt. 4-track for life.