Author Topic: 'Fixing' mob grip?  (Read 1677 times)

CrappyChan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
'Fixing' mob grip?
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:48:33 AM »
I just got sent mob with my online purchase from my local shop. Havent ridden it since I was a child, hate the way it wears out shoes. Anybody got tips or tricks to wear it down a little before gripping my board?
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
Re: 'Fixing' mob grip?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:53:47 AM »
after i grip the board i rub the scraps over the grip to wear it down a little, which is usually enough for me.

if that's not enough maybe rub some old shoes on them or put dirt on it.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 07:54:34 AM »
I just got sent mob with my online purchase from my local shop. Havent ridden it since I was a child, hate the way it wears out shoes. Anybody got tips or tricks to wear it down a little before gripping my board?

Glue it to your board and use the leftover scraps to sand it down and remove some of the grit.
I honestly like mob because of how grippy it is and it stays. but it does take a bit longer to “break in”.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 08:01:27 AM »
I feel like a dummy, totally forgot the extra grip trick, just never had to do it with jessup. Luckily getting some shoes in this week too, have a gaping ollie hole in my current pair and was very wary of skating them with a fresh sheet of mob
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 08:18:31 AM »
I feel like a dummy, totally forgot the extra grip trick, just never had to do it with jessup. Luckily getting some shoes in this week too, have a gaping ollie hole in my current pair and was very wary of skating them with a fresh sheet of mob

Maybe keep in mind that there's such a thing as overdoing that trick, you can totally get a sheet of MOB to feel like Jessup if you sand it down too much or you can even end up with something that doesn't stick at all if you wipe too much of the grain off. I like the grip of MOB but hate the side effect on shoes too, so those days I use that trick just hard enough to skip the break-in period, but still quite superficially as to retain at least some of the extra grip MOB can provide. Probably better for its longevity too (I like skating decks for a little while).

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »
I will do a few swipes on my kick flip and heel flip path after I grip a new board but after that I won’t mess with it.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:39 AM »
I prefer using an old shoe to wear it down, instead of the grip scrapes. Less risk to overdo it

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »
Used to do the scraping the top with the leftover scraps trick with Mob all the time but then one time I guess I did it with a little too much force without noticing and accidentally made it feel TOO slick; had to go out of my way to the shop and buy a new sheet of grip and regrip that deck cuz of that. I usually just get Jessup cuz it feels perfect new, not too grippy but still enough grip, but if I have to get mob I just deal with it being too grippy for the first few sessions now until it wears in a bit, I don’t trust myself scraping the top with scraps anymore after that hah.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 01:04:04 PM »
Get M+80
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 01:07:54 PM »
Get M+80
This stuff is my favorite grip now and I always choose it if I have the option.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
I like new mob grip. I also don’t do many flip tricks.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 01:20:41 PM »
Used to do the scraping the top with the leftover scraps trick with Mob all the time but then one time I guess I did it with a little too much force without noticing and accidentally made it feel TOO slick; had to go out of my way to the shop and buy a new sheet of grip and regrip that deck cuz of that. I usually just get Jessup cuz it feels perfect new, not too grippy but still enough grip, but if I have to get mob I just deal with it being too grippy for the first few sessions now until it wears in a bit, I don’t trust myself scraping the top with scraps anymore after that hah.
I did this as well.. And my local isn't so local. 4 hour roundtrip for a sheet of griptape was flatout depressing.

Diocletian

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »
I’ve learned to appreciate the extra grippyness of Mob. After so many batches of Jessup becoming slippery pretty fast and the edges melting off even when sanded properly, I don’t have these issues with Mob. I feel more secure on my board. It does eat away at shoes a bit more but there’s a price to pay for everything. I’d say embrace it. Sanding down an entire sheet of new grip would feel very weird.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 11:11:36 PM »
Has anyone had a sheet of mob recently? In pretty sure they’ve changed up their formula. Gripped a board with a sheet today and it wasn’t all stiff anymore; the sheet I had was a lot more malleable and the backing was really flexy feeling and almost kind of leathery feeling; nothing like the stiff and hard feeling mob that I’ve grown to know over the years.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:17:00 AM by Noble Experiment »

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 03:46:32 AM »
Makes sense they’d improve it if competition hotting up... I don’t use MOB but the one roll I somehow have sat round already seems to have a great big fold in it ha. Ended up by an ordering error with 6 sheets of Jessup Ultragrip. Seems legit but only had it on cruiser so far, looking forward to trying on a regular street deck.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 05:56:05 AM »
Buy Jessup