Author Topic: ninjas or swiss.  (Read 5409 times)

Stand and Deliver

Re: ninjas or swiss.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 10:33:33 AM »
anyone have any more tips on cleaning swiss'?  i've never really cared about keeping my bearings clean; i usually just ride em till they explode.  I think i might want to take the time to clean them, just to see what a difference it would make. 

I have two sets which I alternate between set-ups.

I use this:

with acetone in it to get rid of the grease / dirt.

Then use this:

bbk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 10:34:50 AM »
cliché titaniums are good...

otis b driftwood

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 10:38:55 AM »
Expand Quote
take him out, put them in a jar full of meths, shake it like fuck, leave them overnight, dry them, lube them.

NO SHIELDS.
[close]
I think I do the same thing, except I don't know what "meths" is. I put the shit in turpentine. Shields are a con.

methylated spirits, used to be the homeless drink of choice over here.

hawalibi

• Rep: -4
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 11:03:31 AM »

The real question is, how do the swiss six balls compare to the regular ones?

I replaced my old swiss by six balls a few month ago on my filming board.

I still have the feeling that i don't ride as fast as before.

Even when i had them out of their box, made one 6ball spinning in my hand, and he stopped spinning real fast, not like a regular swiss bearing taht spins for hours.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »
can't go wrong with swiss. I would say it's all I ride but in a fix I will go with the reds but the reds usually only last about 6 weeks.

Jura

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 11:38:52 AM »
can't go wrong with swiss. I would say it's all I ride but in a fix I will go with the reds but the reds usually only last about 6 weeks.

Yea, for some reason, (Im assuming it has to do with alien metals and such that are hidden from us by our governments) the swiss bearing just last forever. Cheaper bearing break and stop working for me withing a month or two or hard skating.

colin

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 02:23:50 PM »
I've got the same kit as Stand and Deliver, but I use denatured alcohol. I don't know what's best. My neighbor shot his mini-logos with an aerosol can of Brak Clen (I think that's how it's spelled, it's pronounced brake clean) from the auto parts store, and that seemed to work really, really well. The thing to keep in mind is: what effect, if any, will the agent you use to clean the bearings have on the resins in the races. I know some of those citrus de-greasers can damage some plastics.

I guess someone really just needs to go to a slalom event, or ask the Dreggs crew what they use.

Oh, and I have Swiss 6-Ball, and they seem just okay for speed, but it's hard to tell how a bearing will react under your weight and under prolonged periods of spinning when you're just spinning it in your hand. I tell myself that the 6-Ball are built with such high tolerances, though, that they will last for a long-ass time. So far, so good.

HoSGage

• Rep: 0
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2007, 02:24:28 PM »
ive never skated swiss.. and i dont plan on skating them until i can pay for them with my own money.. but ninjas, are so far.. my favorite bearings... but i cant get them anywhere anymore, i quit the shop i rode for along time ago where i got hooked up with them.. my friend keith blair is am for them
Quote from Guile

and isnt your crew a baker bite? hammercity. you might as well call it stretchmouth, because your gonna be covered in stretch marks when i finish feeding you this big dong soup.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2007, 02:42:19 PM »
anyone try ceramics?

Jura

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »
anyone try ceramics?

They are a very soft, very silent, very quick ride. Very dangerous, just like a ninja.

Hey, I guess Ninja bearing are falsely advertised...

HoSGage

• Rep: 0
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 02:49:08 PM »
i think theres some pair of ninja mini ceramics or somethin that are almost 200$? that would be crazy to pay that much for bearings
Quote from Guile

and isnt your crew a baker bite? hammercity. you might as well call it stretchmouth, because your gonna be covered in stretch marks when i finish feeding you this big dong soup.

Duffy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • talkin mad shit kid
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 02:50:50 PM »
anyone try ceramics?

NOT worth it.
I bought em at that Anime shop when they fucked their prices up, they had ceramics for $15 and Reds for $100

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2007, 06:33:46 AM »
what didn't you like about them? too hight maintance, not fast enough?

skatemore,man

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2007, 08:02:02 AM »
i actually had the money to buy a pair of swiss bones once, then i got drunk and my board was stolen a few weeks later. After the first two weeks skating those things picked up some serious speed, i wish i had $50 to buy another set. But, ive been riding some HKD abec5s for quite a while now, i skate outside and pools. these bearings have lasted me for a long time with no mantenance

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1611
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2007, 08:13:12 AM »
china reds are like $5 cost or some shit....i just keep on putting new ones in....

MrCokesNSmokes

• Rep: -3
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »
To fully service bearings, you need to take them completely apart and strip the existing lubricant. After they are fully clean, then relube them. It's more work than just dropping in lube without taking the wheels off.

The Ron's lasted me one set of wheels (typical for any average bearing) with intermittant re-lubing. I mostly street skate, and most of the spots are dirty, so I tend to get more dirt in my bearings than normal. Once you get particles inside the bearing, it will generate more friction and eventually score the insides to the point that they are ruined. It only takes one session to damage them that badly. Lubrication won't remove dirt from the inside.

Thus, I buy the cheaper bearings and just push more to get there.

I'll fully clean my bearings every 2 weeks or so- but, I'll add a drop of oil as needed.

I almost never buy bearings. I have bearings still hanging around that I bought in 1992, for pete's sakes. Seriously. That's the difference that a good cleaning once in a while makes.

I just put my bearings in an old baby food jar (or, jam jar, or whatever); put a little acetone in there; swirl 'em around. Dump out the old acetone, clean the jar, put new acetone in, do again. Spin 'em a few times to make sure they're clean, rinse with a few drops of clean acetone, let 'em dry (which only takes about 30 seconds with acetone), re-lube, and go.

The whole process only takes about 5 minutes, start to finish. Bearings last damn near forever. I save hella money. Sweet.

Note: You CANNOT SOAK bearings in acetone for long periods of time (like, overnight). But, a quick swish in the stuff is harmless.

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2007, 11:21:18 AM »
Ron's new Ballistech Missiles are the fastest, smoothest bearings ever made. Don't bother buying good bearings if you don't plan on cleaning them. That goes for regular Swiss too. If you skate a lot of park, and you value effortless speed and smoothness, just stick with Ron's. Even his regular Rockets are better than any of the Swiss, and they are only $24. Don't let the lack of packaging and marketing fool you kids. Ron's are the real thing.

Duffy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • talkin mad shit kid
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »
what didn't you like about them? too hight maintance, not fast enough?

They seemed slower than Swiss 6's.  That and they wouldn't be worth the $100.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2007, 02:11:02 PM »
On Concrete Disciples boards everybody is recommending Rons bearings.
I think that for street skating Rons or Swiss are overkill, but I haven’t ridden swiss I a loooong time, I remember they were fast and they lasted long time but that was in early 90s (swiss still had metal shields on them). I use SKF now, they are regular metal shielded 608 bearing used for blenders (kitchen apliances) and shit, they are little slower at first but they are really tough and last long time, they are cheaper then swiss. I haven’t seen Rons bearings in Europe, swiss are around 50 euros and swiss ceramics are around 120 euros. Eight SKF bearings are around 30 euros. I think that I’m going to try regular Swiss again.

k-nutz

• Rep: 51
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2007, 03:01:43 PM »

I'll fully clean my bearings every 2 weeks or so- but, I'll add a drop of oil as needed.

woah thats a little overkill....

ive got some ceramic lucky's and ceramic reflex's, can't really tell a difference.

should the swiss shields be popped off imediately or when they cave?

Caps Lock

• Rep: 2
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2007, 03:31:22 PM »
Reds, I dont know what I have on now; I think maybe luckys? It works for me. But overall, I really like reds or swiss. Swiss is a better quality than Reds obviously.

al boo boo

• Rep: -45
  • Put some D'z on that bitch!
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2007, 05:41:09 PM »
i just got some swiss.and yeah they are fucking dope..hella smooth and fast.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1611
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2007, 11:43:07 PM »
On Concrete Disciples boards everybody is recommending Rons bearings.
I think that for street skating Rons or Swiss are overkill, but I haven’t ridden swiss I a loooong time, I remember they were fast and they lasted long time but that was in early 90s (swiss still had metal shields on them). I use SKF now, they are regular metal shielded 608 bearing used for blenders (kitchen apliances) and shit, they are little slower at first but they are really tough and last long time, they are cheaper then swiss. I haven’t seen Rons bearings in Europe, swiss are around 50 euros and swiss ceramics are around 120 euros. Eight SKF bearings are around 30 euros. I think that I’m going to try regular Swiss again.

concrete disciples...shit...those dudes are like talking about their pensions and shit...

MrCokesNSmokes

• Rep: -3
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2007, 01:21:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

woah thats a little overkill....

ive got some ceramic lucky's and ceramic reflex's, can't really tell a difference.

should the swiss shields be popped off imediately or when they cave?

Okay, maybe it's more like 3 weeks. I don't count... just, whenever they're shitty enough to obviously need cleaning.

Aren't Swiss shields those rubber removable/replacable ones.....?

On metal shields, I pop off one side- the more dented side- when I do the first cleaning. I ride 'em shield sides facing out.