Author Topic: Eric Koston of numbers  (Read 17555 times)

Commercial D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Eric Koston of numbers
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2020, 03:24:53 PM »
Is there a deck company that moves massive numbers of units like Alien or Girl or Element or World 20 years ago?

I think the profit margins on decks have shrunk to the point where if you're not doing massive volume and don't own your own woodshop, what's the point?

That said, I could see Guy back on Powell-Peralta.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2020, 03:28:02 PM »
Maybe Santa Cruz or Primitive? just guessing cus constant collab output for the hype
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think they started off on the wrong foot going with a “first thought best thought” idea from Gonz.   I don’t think Krooked would have worked as well if it was called Stance as he originally wanted (magazine already had that name, socks didn’t exist yet)
[close]
  He would have made "stance' work cause "krooked" sucks and he made me like that, so.
[close]

I don't know if skaters are just really bad at picking names for board brands, of if it's just nearly impossible to pick a good name.  Might be like perfume commercials, which are necessarily terrible because who can create a visual representation of a smell, who can pick a one- or two-word name that represents a skate team?  Off the top of my head, Alien Workshop and Habitat seemed to work, because the skating, videos and advertising was all cohesive with the brand name.  Krooked has kind of achieved this too.  These recent brands by big-name pros- Numbers, Thank You, April, even Primitive- are nowhere close.  I know there's room to disagree, but MJ's Business & Company is at least kind of interesting.
[close]
  I just dont think its the recent brands you mentioned faults that they cant resonate.  Its a tougher crowd/bigger lanscape these days compared to 20 years ago.

I agree with that.  Now there isn't really the luxury of time to flesh out a decent image/brand even if you were adept at that.  So, stupid names, confusing art and marketing, and sometimes fantastic skating is what we're stuck with.  Could be worse, I guess.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2020, 03:35:27 PM »
Is there a deck company that moves massive numbers of units like Alien or Girl or Element or World 20 years ago?

I think the profit margins on decks have shrunk to the point where if you're not doing massive volume and don't own your own woodshop, what's the point?

That would be quite ill.

Numbers could do a colab with Skull Skates called Numbskullers Skates

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2020, 03:41:03 PM »
Never been much of an FA fan but I back Guy to FA
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »
I wonder if Carroll is secretly laughing somewhere because Numbers and Business&Company are barely skateboard brands

NBD4ABD

« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
I wonder if Carroll is secretly laughing somewhere because Numbers and Business&Company are barely skateboard brands
I think he is humbled enough to just know the truth and shake his head.

ChildOfTheBurbs

• Rep: -65513
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2020, 04:22:49 PM »
Koston back on girl

NBD4ABD

« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2020, 04:46:17 PM »

Just an eye test at the parks...Anti-Hero, Primitive, and FA are moving units. Nothing touching mid 00s Girl though.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2020, 04:56:31 PM »
Saw their boards at the shop but never saw anyone out skating them. I didn’t like the shape or graphics. Would love to see some new Guy footage, he’s still got it.

Of all the ridiculous shit said in this thread, I just hope Ray Barbee on Krooked is true.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2020, 04:57:59 PM »
I’d kind of love to see him on chocolate

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2020, 06:00:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just an eye test at the parks...Anti-Hero, Primitive, and FA are moving units. Nothing touching mid 00s Girl though.

I saw a lot of AH, dlx in general.
Skateparks are a different world tho. Been a year plus since I’ve been to a park when anyone else was there.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »

Just decks I can't think of one. But, I wouldn't be shocked if Palace is making more off soft-goods than any previously privately held board company. Element and Zoo York made a fortune in soft goods but they'd been sold to corporations by the time that money was rolling in (which is what fueled their rapid expansions).

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2020, 08:57:15 PM »
Everytime I open a skate ad Element is trying to sell me a tee shirt
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2020, 09:08:22 PM »
Free Durao

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2020, 11:25:36 PM »
I have yet to see a numbers board in the wild
" I did not say this I am not here"

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2020, 11:52:57 PM »
I think it is easier for a board brand to succeed if they've got a fairly simple and easily recognizable logo. Look at long term brands like Baker, Anti Hero, Real, Element, Zero, Plan B etc they could (and some do) just print boards with their stock logo on it. Baker logo boards especially are so identifiable in footage that they're kind of just cemented into the culture.

Obviously it's a bit more complex than just have a good logo but it's also kind of the foundation of branding.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2020, 12:47:01 AM »

I would assume something similar. in my town almost everybody is skating either shop boards, small local companies or whats on sale in the shop or online. Little people around here choose a pro board or a company based on quality or preferences.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2020, 04:52:16 AM »

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
i like that every time someone leaves their board sponsor, people through out FA/Quasi as possibilities.

In what world do you think Guy or Koston would skate with those dudes?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

NBD4ABD

« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »
Koston on Nike skateboards!

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »
Everytime I open a skate ad Element is trying to sell me a tee shirt

Element want's to be Zoo York soo bad. I thought when Mason, Evan and Tyson left, that was it.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »
I honestly do wonder if at some point we'll see Nike skateboard decks. Hell, they could just retire the name "Skate Mental" and step on in, couldn't they?

SAH ALL DAY

« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think Carroll is doing fine

Saint Coke

« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2020, 12:37:26 PM »

Nah, he's sponsored by thunder and spitfire. Powell would make him loose that spitfire money.
Also imagine a DLX pro skating for bones wheels.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »
i like that every time someone leaves their board sponsor, people through out FA/Quasi as possibilities.

Isn't Guy close friends with Ave, has a guest trick in his Vans part, and was on his SOTY trip? As for Quasi, I can't think of any actual link outside of Bledsoe being on fourstar with them for years which is reaching at best.

AfricanPendejo

• Rep: -63
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2020, 02:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Back Dat ass up
FREE MAX B

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Back Dat ass up

I like that this got you signed up and in the system.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Isn't Guy close friends with Ave, has a guest trick in his Vans part, and was on his SOTY trip? As for Quasi, I can't think of any actual link outside of Bledsoe being on fourstar with them for years which is reaching at best.

he's friends with AVE, for sure, but i just really, really can't see him skating with Nak, or Swan, or any of the teenagers on the team.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me