Author Topic: Eric Koston of numbers  (Read 17549 times)

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Eric Koston of numbers
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I will always be a fan of Koston and I’ve always wanted Numbers to succeed. JMO, but when you’re a new company it’s hard to establish any consistent identity or personality when you do too many guest artist collabs. You’re just an art collective at that point. All that said, any clip of Koston, Guy, and Durao gets me hyped to skate and I’d still like to see them do something with Numbers.

Crap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »
Completely forgot this brand existed. If you had asked me Koston's current board sponsor earlier today, I would have said he doesn't have one.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2020, 10:54:07 AM »
It's all over the place, they started as this super sleek and minimalistic company and now hey have decks that look like FA or Quasi, but 10 times uglier. No personality whatsoever.

It was also an opportunity to put out a little footage here and there of Koston and Mariano and people would be definitely be psyched (look at Chico!).

But they really didn't do anything with it...

They started out OK, bringing a fresh Eames Chair aesthetic to a culture that had frankly become cluttery, videos with no music, just skating from spot to spot in DTLA, but somewhere along the way the momentum fizzled out and so did the brand identity.

How can a board company that sells almost no product afford to pay a veteran pro like TX? This isn't 1992... if you aren't pulling at least $100k in LA you're riding the struggle bus. Especially at 40.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I will always be a fan of Koston and I’ve always wanted Numbers to succeed. JMO, but when you’re a new company it’s hard to establish any consistent identity or personality when you do too many guest artist collabs. You’re just an art collective at that point. All that said, any clip of Koston, Guy, and Durao gets me hyped to skate and I’d still like to see them do something with Numbers.

Love the team.  But I didn't have high hopes for it lasting with the first graphic release (supposedly Gonz's idea) of the iphone screen.   Then all the super horrible collabs and graphics in general.   I felt really bad for them to be honest.  Because like you I'd like to see them succeed.   I'm huge Rodrigo fan as well.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • Free Max B
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2020, 11:01:25 AM »
scientology gave him some fucked up amount of money to legitimize Braille.

free max b
FREE MAX B

waffle

• Rep: 125
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2020, 11:03:30 AM »
For those looking for numbers on Koston  8):

http://4plymag.com/koston/

fucking, joy

• Rep: 13
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2020, 11:07:34 AM »
Numbers is proof that good board graphics are still vital to success.  Insane roster, early videos that kids and old heads liked, major shoe brand visibility- but the graphics suck and the drops are uninspired so they're not doing nearly as well as they could have.  Antonio Durao is a generational talent and needs to be on a company that champions him properly.

DaGOAT

• Rep: -109
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2020, 11:29:07 AM »

Numbers sucks donkey dick, but Koston will always have a pass for that noseslide in philly.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »
Numbers is proof that good board graphics are still vital to success.  Insane roster, early videos that kids and old heads liked, major shoe brand visibility- but the graphics suck and the drops are uninspired so they're not doing nearly as well as they could have.  Antonio Durao is a generational talent and needs to be on a company that champions him properly.
Real's graphics have never been great or even good, but they've lasted almost 30 years and are near the top of the industry at the moment. Mainly, because they are great at marketing the talent they have and DLX makes a high-quality product.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »
Guy Mariano on primitive is the next chapter.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »

Real's graphics have never been great or even good,

Imma let you finish, but this is one of the greatest skateboard graphics of all time.

Of. All. Time.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2020, 11:54:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Imma let you finish, but this is one of the greatest skateboard graphics of all time.

Of. All. Time.

Just when I’m sure you’ve been sent to only annoy me.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2020, 12:13:14 PM »
I've owned and skated about 7 Numbers boards and they were all great! This was during the first 2 editions when the graphics weren't complete Quasi knockoffs and then a couple of the Boys of Summer collabs they did.

A shame that the brand started out with a good concept and approach but didn't/couldn't keep up and find their niche with us skaters.
Super Champion Fun Zone

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2020, 12:23:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Of. All. Time.
A great one-off. But, Real's art direction has rarely been particularly inspired.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2020, 12:24:48 PM »
I've owned and skated about 7 Numbers boards and they were all great! This was during the first 2 editions when the graphics weren't complete Quasi knockoffs and then a couple of the Boys of Summer collabs they did.

A shame that the brand started out with a good concept and approach but didn't/couldn't keep up and find their niche with us skaters.

Master Yoda?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2020, 12:43:19 PM »
Well I actually wanted to try one of their boards, the shape and size looked promising but the only numbers board I EVER saw was at that one 5 stair spot. It was shattered in 100 pieces. It was incredible.
IG: @flowterspace

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2020, 01:04:08 PM »
Durao on Polar if they got the budget.

Also people roasting Koston's contest runs or goofy footage -I'd rather watch Koston do Chomp level goof-off tricks than 90% of the homogenous bullshit that people are coming out with today.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
Also never have seen a numbers in the wild.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2020, 01:50:15 PM »
I think they started off on the wrong foot going with a “first thought best thought” idea from Gonz.   I don’t think Krooked would have worked as well if it was called Stance as he originally wanted (magazine already had that name, socks didn’t exist yet)

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »
its cus berrics is starting a board brand

berricose skateboards
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2020, 02:00:37 PM »
what makes people so sure Koston and Mariano will end up anywhere?
obviously legends but seems like both have taken steps back from being pro skateboarders

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »
I think they started off on the wrong foot going with a “first thought best thought” idea from Gonz.   I don’t think Krooked would have worked as well if it was called Stance as he originally wanted (magazine already had that name, socks didn’t exist yet)
  He would have made "stance' work cause "krooked" sucks and he made me like that, so.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2020, 02:27:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  He would have made "stance' work cause "krooked" sucks and he made me like that, so.
Used to work at Deluxe & recall that I went to an ASR just before gonz’s “new project” was set to drop, back in the early 2000s & we were told to pack shirts w/ the new company name on them so we could hype the brand in the booth. Company was going to be called “FEWTURE” & was aborted shortly after that due to some sort of trademark difficulties if my recall device is working.
I still had that shirt until about a year or so ago, actually.
Maybe Stance was a 2nd abandoned attempt at branding?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know if skaters are just really bad at picking names for board brands, of if it's just nearly impossible to pick a good name.  Might be like perfume commercials, which are necessarily terrible because who can create a visual representation of a smell, who can pick a one- or two-word name that represents a skate team?  Off the top of my head, Alien Workshop and Habitat seemed to work, because the skating, videos and advertising was all cohesive with the brand name.  Krooked has kind of achieved this too.  These recent brands by big-name pros- Numbers, Thank You, April, even Primitive- are nowhere close.  I know there's room to disagree, but MJ's Business & Company is at least kind of interesting.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2020, 02:37:54 PM »

What a strange website/article? Plus they're kinda wrong the crooked grind was called the "K grind" in the 90's for a reason, i might also equate the Nollie Heel Nose to Koston as his "signature" trick or whatever that website was debating.

Gottwig will remain on krooked. Weird multiple people in this thread have talked about Koston and Guy going back to Girl or Rick Howard and Carroll joining them at legend division at Krooked. A) there is a ton of love loss/hate between those parties, and B) why would two owners of Girl go to krooked?

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »
Just noticed Guy's insta hasn't been updated since August.

I thought skaters lived on IG?

WTH has he been doing the last 9 months?

Pretty sure he had a kid, but he’s been on the low since he got on Nike.  He’s obviously skating really well though as evidenced by the little bits of footage he’s put out.  Almost reminding me of Mouse Mariano.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2020, 03:12:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I don't know if skaters are just really bad at picking names for board brands, of if it's just nearly impossible to pick a good name.  Might be like perfume commercials, which are necessarily terrible because who can create a visual representation of a smell, who can pick a one- or two-word name that represents a skate team?  Off the top of my head, Alien Workshop and Habitat seemed to work, because the skating, videos and advertising was all cohesive with the brand name.  Krooked has kind of achieved this too.  These recent brands by big-name pros- Numbers, Thank You, April, even Primitive- are nowhere close.  I know there's room to disagree, but MJ's Business & Company is at least kind of interesting.

Business & Company is a good name, and certainly way way way fucking better than most names in skate currently.
Problem with B&C is both too much mj (talking) and not enough mj (skating)

veritas

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What a strange website/article? Plus they're kinda wrong the crooked grind was called the "K grind" in the 90's for a reason, i might also equate the Nollie Heel Nose to Koston as his "signature" trick or whatever that website was debating.

Gottwig will remain on krooked. Weird multiple people in this thread have talked about Koston and Guy going back to Girl or Rick Howard and Carroll joining them at legend division at Krooked. A) there is a ton of love loss/hate between those parties, and B) why would two owners of Girl go to krooked?

Krooked would be great. It doesnt seem like anyone would go back to Girl after leaving, there had to be some reason that so many original riders fled Crail like it was a sinking ship. Guy and Koston certainly dont need Girl to stay relevant at this point.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2020, 03:20:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I just dont think its the recent brands you mentioned faults that they cant resonate.  Its a tougher crowd/bigger lanscape these days compared to 20 years ago.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"