Author Topic: Vans Popcuh vs Ultracush Insole Review  (Read 34997 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Vans Popcuh vs Ultracush Insole Review
« on: May 12, 2020, 01:37:00 PM »
TL;DR Popcush is Ultracush but better Popcush is superior to Ultracush. It’s supportive, provides actual impact protection, and eliminates nearly every problem Ultracush has.

Vans recently upgraded their Ultracush insole to the Popcush insole, and their only description of this new insole is that it “snaps back and won’t pack. A new Pro Skate impact protection and energy return foam for less fatigue to skate longer.” As short as that description is, it pretty much covers everything that Popcush offers over Ultracush.

What’s wrong with Ultracush?

Ultracush was Van’s old insole, with there being many iterations of it as feeble attempts to improve the insole (they all didn't make any improvements). The insole is thick to help provide support, comfort, and impact protection, but the insole was so soft and squishy that it did the complete opposite of what it was trying to do. Everytime I wore Ultracush my feet would hurt, I would have bad lower back problems, and impact protection was super inconsistent. My theory of why this is was because Vans was trying to provide cupsole protection to a vulcanized shoe by giving the insole the jobs of the outsole and the insole combined. It’s why the insoles are super thick, but the outsole is super thin. I believe they tried to undo this and give the insole and outsole their respective jobs with the AVE Pro by basically putting the lower half of the Ultracush insole into the outsole, but I don’t actually know since I don’t have experience with the AVE Pros (I’m not paying $100 for a shoe I don’t know will work for me).

Popcush Review

I’ve been skating these Andrew Allen Authentic Hi’s for about three weeks, and I have a very good feeling of how these insoles perform.

On the first day of just wearing these, I did experience some lower back pain, but I can easily chalk it up from bad posture from sitting down too much and not being outside lately, as this problem went away in a couple days. I have not experienced any back pain from these insoles since then. I would wear these around the house and break them in before actually skating them.

After a few days, I finally skated these shoes. The impact protection was great. I landed primo a bunch of times and in one instance had a direct impact on my arch. It did hurt, but the pain subsided relatively quick, and I was able to continue skating. There was some times where I would land super hard on my feet after bailing from a high trick (i.e. FS boneless off a bank), and I recovered super fast. I haven’t done any big stair sets because I don’t have access to any and I’m not really into that, but I would say that the impact protection on Popcush would hold up for that type of skating. Overall, impact protection is great and a major improvement over Ultracush.

What about general walking around/pushing? I put these insoles in a pair of Era Pros, and walked my friend’s dog around. The walk was comfortable, and the insoles actually improved the fit of the shoes. The only thing that did suck was the ball of my foot got fatigued and sore, which was most noticeable and came from pushing my board hard. The thin padding Ultracush had towards the front of the insole is still a feature on the Popcush insole, albeit firmer. If you hated this feature or the balls of your feet are sensitive, I would look elsewhere.

Popcush actually provides foot support. With Ultracush, it felt like my foot would sink into the heel portion and move around. With Popcush, the insole is significantly more firm; my heel didn’t feel like it was moving around and it felt secure in place. As mentioned before, I didn’t have any lower back problems, my feet didn’t hurt, and I was comfortable walking around all day.

Overall, Popcush is pretty much a direct upgrade from Ultracush, and there’s no reason to buy any model that features Ultracush or its iterations anymore. Everything that Ultracush failed in, Popcush succeeds in. Vans went from my “don’t buy unless it’s discounted heavily” list to “buy” list.

What are you guy’s experiences with Popcush? Let me know if you felt I missed anything.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Vans Popcuh vs Ultracush Insole Review
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 02:54:23 PM »
I too think popcush is superior to ultracush

I want to know if I buy a new vans pro model that it includes popcush 100%. Like are they redoing the all white and all black slip on pros with popcush, and when?

BL0B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 412
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »
`

I want to know if I buy a new vans pro model that it includes popcush 100%. Like are they redoing the all white and all black slip on pros with popcush, and when?

pretty sure tactics already has/had 2019 & 2020 era, authentics, slips & sk8hi's listed with both with ultra & pop cush.

* they use to list the years. look at the two all-black eras.

https://www.tactics.com/vans/era-pro-skate-shoes/blackout-ultracrush-hd
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:50:10 PM by BL0B »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
It doesn't feel different enough to me. I still hate it and replace it with lunarlon insoles that I've saved. AVE pros are great though.

Mog

• Rep: -166
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »
op clearly a vans employee

Ordered pre-owned t shirts online that are kinda sick (2 Simpsons tees, Joy Division and Cro-Mags tees, and a shirt with a native american girl staring into flames) . I usually wear flannels so my t-shirt game w

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 03:47:27 PM »

clearly he's AA. hi, AA!

Mog

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 03:47:45 PM »
TL;DR Popcush is Ultracush but better Popcush is superior to Ultracush. It’s supportive, provides actual impact protection, and eliminates nearly every problem Ultracush has.

Vans recently upgraded their Ultracush insole to the Popcush insole, and their only description of this new insole is that it “snaps back and won’t pack. A new Pro Skate impact protection and energy return foam for less fatigue to skate longer.” As short as that description is, it pretty much covers everything that Popcush offers over Ultracush.

Ultracush was Van’s old insole, with there being many iterations of it as feeble attempts to improve the insole (they all didn't make any improvements). The insole is thick to help provide support, comfort, and impact protection, but the insole was so soft and squishy that it did the complete opposite of what it was trying to do. Everytime I wore Ultracush my feet would hurt, I would have bad lower back problems, and impact protection was super inconsistent. My theory of why this is was because Vans was trying to provide cupsole protection to a vulcanized shoe by giving the insole the jobs of the outsole and the insole combined. It’s why the insoles are super thick, but the outsole is super thin. I believe they tried to undo this and give the insole and outsole their respective jobs with the AVE Pro by basically putting the lower half of the Ultracush insole into the outsole, but I don’t actually know since I don’t have experience with the AVE Pros (I’m not paying $100 for a shoe I don’t know will work for me).

Popcush Review

I’ve been skating these Andrew Allen Authentic Hi’s for about three weeks, and I have a very good feeling of how these insoles perform.

On the first day of just wearing these, I did experience some lower back pain, but I can easily chalk it up from bad posture from sitting down too much and not being outside lately, as this problem went away in a couple days. I have not experienced any back pain from these insoles since then. I would wear these around the house and break them in before actually skating them.

After a few days, I finally skated these shoes. The impact protection was great. I landed primo a bunch of times and in one instance had a direct impact on my arch. It did hurt, but the pain subsided relatively quick, and I was able to continue skating. There was some times where I would land super hard on my feet after bailing from a high trick (i.e. FS boneless off a bank), and I recovered super fast. I haven’t done any big stair sets because I don’t have access to any and I’m not really into that, but I would say that the impact protection on Popcush would hold up for that type of skating. Overall, impact protection is great and a major improvement over Ultracush.

What about general walking around/pushing? I put these insoles in a pair of Era Pros, and walked my friend’s dog around. The walk was comfortable, and the insoles actually improved the fit of the shoes. The only thing that did suck was the ball of my foot got fatigued and sore, which was most noticeable and came from pushing my board hard. The thin padding Ultracush had towards the front of the insole is still a feature on the Popcush insole, albeit firmer. If you hated this feature or the balls of your feet are sensitive, I would look elsewhere.

Popcush actually provides foot support. With Ultracush, it felt like my foot would sink into the heel portion and move around. With Popcush, the insole is significantly more firm; my heel didn’t feel like it was moving around and it felt secure in place. As mentioned before, I didn’t have any lower back problems, my feet didn’t hurt, and I was comfortable walking around all day.

Overall, Popcush is pretty much a direct upgrade from Ultracush, and there’s no reason to buy any model that features Ultracush or its iterations anymore. Everything that Ultracush failed in, Popcush succeeds in. Vans went from my “don’t buy unless it’s discounted heavily” list to “buy” list.

What are you guy’s experiences with Popcush? Let me know if you felt I missed anything.

Yeah you missed the part where you say "Hey Slap I work for Vans"

Ordered pre-owned t shirts online that are kinda sick (2 Simpsons tees, Joy Division and Cro-Mags tees, and a shirt with a native american girl staring into flames) . I usually wear flannels so my t-shirt game w

Mog

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 03:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

clearly he's AA. hi, AA!

If you are a sponsored rider for a company and promote their product you are working for that company.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 04:00:44 PM »
Expand Quote

Popcush Review

[close]

I don't work for Vans. If anything, I think the Lakai Manchester XLK is a better shoe than Authentic Hi's.

Sorry for making a thorough and well-worded review on a new insole that doesn't have any good reviews that isn't "it's good."

"you liked product so you're a corporate shill" that means literally anyone who has ever praised a product on here is a shill

Also what kind of employee would talk shit about the products they're supposed to promote.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 04:13:23 PM »
`
Expand Quote

[close]

pretty sure tactics already has/had 2019 & 2020 era, authentics, slips & sk8hi's listed with both with ultra & pop cush.

yes. Tactics is the only place I’ve seen that.

As I’ve mentioned before in other threads I kind of think the popcush is similar to Emerica g6 as far as removable insoles go. I’ve compared em side to side in the same shoes (Rowan / g6 wino slip) and minimal differences. I’ll have to try it again if anyone is that curious

Just threw my Rowan’s on to cruise the neighborhood and forefoot is thin. Yes. Done intentionally for boardfeel, no?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:56:16 PM by jay_nev »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 05:54:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Popcush Review

[close]

[close]

I don't work for Vans. If anything, I think the Lakai Manchester XLK is a better shoe than Authentic Hi's.

Sorry for making a thorough and well-worded review on a new insole that doesn't have any good reviews that isn't "it's good."

"you liked product so you're a corporate shill" that means literally anyone who has ever praised a product on here is a shill

Also what kind of employee would talk shit about the products they're supposed to promote.

I am feeling the review.
I love the way vans classic models, and Chuck Taylor’s look.
As a bonus my partner doesn’t hate them either. They look age appropriate and go with dad fits, 501s, 874s.
My feet are mega busted.
I spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out which insoles, plus how much weight loss, so on and so forth, will allow me to skate vans and not make inadvertent sounds when I shuffle about.
So all of this was very relevant to my interests.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 06:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
`
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
yes. Tactics is the only place I’ve seen that.

As I’ve mentioned before in other threads I kind of think the popcush is similar to Emerica g6 as far as removable insoles go. I’ve compared em side to side in the same shoes (Rowan / g6 wino slip) and minimal differences. I’ll have to try it again if anyone is that curious

Just threw my Rowan’s on to cruise the neighborhood and forefoot is thin. Yes. Done intentionally for boardfeel, no?

Yes, that’s why most insoles thin out. FP has extra padding in the forefoot.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 06:12:07 PM »
It doesn't feel different enough to me. I still hate it and replace it with lunarlon insoles that I've saved. AVE pros are great though.
AVE pros are Ultimate waffle, not ultra/popcush. Cushioning is on the midsole.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Popcush Review

[close]

[close]

[close]

I am feeling the review.
I love the way vans classic models, and Chuck Taylor’s look.
As a bonus my partner doesn’t hate them either. They look age appropriate and go with dad fits, 501s, 874s.
My feet are mega busted.
I spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out which insoles, plus how much weight loss, so on and so forth, will allow me to skate vans and not make inadvertent sounds when I shuffle about.
So all of this was very relevant to my interests.

Seconded I appreciate your review.. Thanks

Now let your bosses know that'll I probably be getting a pair  ;)

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 07:01:43 PM »
Agree 100%, OP. I noticed the difference within seconds of skating the Old Skools with the Popcush back in January. I had heard through someone quite knowledgeable to not get my hopes up, but I doubled-down at the risk of being called a kook by said knowledgeable guy and insisted they were different. Feeling vindicated rn. They're for sure springier and don't give you that mud-between-the-toes feeling of the Ultracush. You stand a bit taller too. My AH slip-ons are going to get an upgrade as soon as the canvas (wtf) on my Old Skools is just gone.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 08:45:41 PM »

The heel is a bit spongier, that's about it and I chalk that up to there being a 'bubble' of foam instead of it being flat on the heel. Forefoot/ball area feels identical (even if it's supposed to be thinner, again, if it is, I can't tell...so what, maybe a mm? If it's some new formula, my feet don't notice it.

I call it, [lame terminology] marketing:

SickStick
ComfyCush
UltraCush
Ultracush HD
DuraCap
PopCush
RapidWeld
UltimateWaffle
WaffleCup
WaffelControl
LuxLiner
Pro Vulc Lite (which I've never tried)

That said, I really like the AVE (Ultimate Waffle/Rapidweld) and the Rowan (DuraCap, PopCush, SickStick), feel like they are the 'best in class' when it comes to [modern] Vans Pro offerings. The one thing I noticed about the Rowan's, and maybe it's coming off the AVEs, they make me feel like there is some overpronation going on.

A rowan rapid weld (to cut down on the chunkychunk) would be sick (or some varient of a halfcab/Crockett mid/TNTSG

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 06:38:36 AM »

The heel is a bit spongier, that's about it and I chalk that up to there being a 'bubble' of foam instead of it being flat on the heel. Forefoot/ball area feels identical (even if it's supposed to be thinner, again, if it is, I can't tell...so what, maybe a mm? If it's some new formula, my feet don't notice it.

I call it, [lame terminology] marketing:

SickStick
ComfyCush
UltraCush
Ultracush HD
DuraCap
PopCush
RapidWeld
UltimateWaffle
WaffleCup
WaffelControl
LuxLiner
Pro Vulc Lite (which I've never tried)

That said, I really like the AVE (Ultimate Waffle/Rapidweld) and the Rowan (DuraCap, PopCush, SickStick), feel like they are the 'best in class' when it comes to [modern] Vans Pro offerings. The one thing I noticed about the Rowan's, and maybe it's coming off the AVEs, they make me feel like there is some overpronation going on.

A rowan rapid weld (to cut down on the chunkychunk) would be sick (or some varient of a halfcab/Crockett mid/TNTSG

The new sole compound is the shit. Vans are my preferred shoe as far as fit but I typically will wear the sole bald after about 2 weeks. Been skating the Rowans for about that long and the sole still has a ton of life. I am hoping they'll just start using it on all the pro skate line.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 06:58:01 AM »
It doesn't feel different enough to me. I still hate it and replace it with lunarlon lakai insoles that I've saved.

I know, I know. Whatever.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »
Got my first slip on pro with popcush and I fuckin hate them. Heel sits so high there's no way they fit nice in feet, also narrow toe compared to classics. Swapped the DC Impact-S insoles and they fit ok. Soles also seems to wear down and glue loosen just as quick as classics.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:23:37 AM by imuseless »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 07:31:44 AM »
Got my first slip on pro with popcush and I fuckin hate them. Heel sits so high there's no way they fit nice in feet, also narrow toe compared to classics. Swapped the DC Impact-S insoles and they fit ok. Soles also seems to wear down and glue loosen just as quick as classics.
which color slip on pro with popcush?

Pnw

• Rep: -2
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 07:55:18 AM »
I’m skating the tnt protos with the ultracush insoles and they are the first shoe I’ve had heel problems with after skating.

I was skating the Berle pros about a month ago and the waffle insoles were pretty legit.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
which color slip on pro with popcush?

Blackout.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 09:25:53 AM »
I’m skating the tnt protos with the ultracush insoles and they are the first shoe I’ve had heel problems with after skating.

I was skating the Berle pros about a month ago and the waffle insoles were pretty legit.

I'm with you, I think the waffle/Ultimate waffle is superior to 'an insole' - but then again, it should be, no? Berles were to long for me (like the TNTProto/Crockket2s), yet the AVE and Rowan fit fine.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2020, 09:45:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm with you, I think the waffle/Ultimate waffle is superior to 'an insole' - but then again, it should be, no? Berles were to long for me (like the TNTProto/Crockket2s), yet the AVE and Rowan fit fine.

What do you like better between AVE and Rowan? Mainly interested in the cushioning/foot protections aspects, but also skate ‘performance’?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What do you like better between AVE and Rowan? Mainly interested in the cushioning/foot protections aspects, but also skate ‘performance’?

Ooof, they couldn't be more different (as I noted above I feel they are the best in class for what Vans has to offer, just at two different ends of the spectrum). AVE being a more modern approach and the Rowan being a more classic one.

Rowan: Cushy, squishy, chunky, padded - modern Half Cab

AVE: slim, durable, light/svelt, more breath-ability, better board feel, not as padded

If I was hucking? Rowans

Everything else? AVEs

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2020, 11:18:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ooof, they couldn't be more different (as I noted above I feel they are the best in class for what Vans has to offer, just at two different ends of the spectrum). AVE being a more modern approach and the Rowan being a more classic one.

AVE: slim, durable, light/svelt, more breath-ability, better board feel, not as padded

If I was hucking? Rowans

Everything else? AVEs

Thanks!

Flat ground feels like hucking.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2020, 01:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If I was hucking? Rowans

Everything else? AVEs
[close]

Thanks!

Flat ground feels like hucking.

Hah! It also comes down to if you like more of a cupsole feel (AVE) or a traditional Vans Pro feel (rowan)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
I'd rather jump down stairs in a cupsole any day than a shoe with popcush as the main support. Popcush feels like skating in high heels.

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2020, 06:21:31 PM »
I'd rather jump down stairs in a cupsole any day than a shoe with popcush as the main support. Popcush feels like skating in high heels.

I mean, if you look at a Pop Kush or ultracush insole, both only are like 12mm of foam under your heel. If you were to cut up a cupsole like the Nike Team Edition or some Emerica shoe, they would all be about the same in terms of stack height in the heel (Rubber outsole plus foam midsole/insole where your heel actually sits) and a similar pitch (offset between heel height and forefoot height).

Those Pop Kush insoles look gnarlier than they are because of the cupped shape that wings up to cradle the heel. Gives it visual volume that doesn't exist underfoot.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2020, 07:34:31 AM »

Fid you ever skate slip-on pros with regular ultracush? Because until they pack down, it felt the same, they didn’t adjust the height of the heel cup to account for the extra thickness of the insole.

But they have packed in, and I don’t notice it anymore
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea