Author Topic: Street Skateboarding History Video Timeline (Month by Month)  (Read 7001 times)

GMann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
I am making month by month video timelines of the main events in street skateboarding history from the 1980s and 1990s.

Here is 1989 month by month:
https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory:6/Timeline89:1

Here is 1990:
https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory:6/Timeline90:4

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:53:49 AM by GMann »

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Street Skateboarding History Video Timeline (Month by Month)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »
This is a really cool project and props for using BitChute over YouTube.

How did you source the dates for when the footage was filmed, rather than released? Must've taken some deep research.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »
I didn't remember the Valley deck was back in 89 although many people I knew skated it. I remember skating across town to see Rubbish Heap. I'm fucking old 👀

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:11:58 AM »
Im glad this started off with Frank Hill

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
Very cool.

Between projects like this and the NBD Archive on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/nbd_archive/), some folks are going to great efforts to figure this all out and track the many, many innovations in street skating in the 1990s. Awesome.

But, I would so appreciate this information being available in a searchable format. While not as aesthetically pleasing or fun to watch as video clips, it would be great to just be able to look some of these innovations up without having to comb through comments and interviews and such. I really hope the folks going to all this trouble to edit these videos are actually recording the data as well.

But still, fun videos. Great job and keep them coming.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Krile

• Rep: -91
  • I train moogles
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »
This is awesome great idea
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 10:08:22 AM »
Kudos to you.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »

first, to GMann, this is a truly noble endeavor, and respect for taking it on.

i haven't had a chance to look yet, but You's comment here, has me wondering if inevitably a lot of "street skateboarding history" is being overlooked, because for some of us "street skaters," Frankie Hill was a bit down the line historically.

not sure how you're determining a starting point for this history, but if the ollie is a criterion for mapping the earliest points of street skating, Vision's NSA videos at Oceanside were formative for some of us--dare i say--first generation street skaters. specifically Mark Gonzales' parts--in the first one, him ollieing to axle stall on the seat of that picnic table at the end of his run, was a serious historical event in street skating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72sAUG5eRgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_aDl5T7PF0

there weren't many "video" videos just yet, so if you were a "street skater" at this early time, and wanted to ollie and do other early incarnations of modern street skating, these videos were where you looked for stoke.

same with the original Savanah Slamma and/or the Ohio Skateout--it really was mainly Mark Gonzales and a couple of others, making shit up quicker than the mags could even name the tricks (for instance, Gonz 180 ollie to fakie 50-50 at Ohio skateout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KOl_txKQXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHODpvbp1xk&t=105s

of course, "Sick Boys" was significant as well, and Julien Stranger's front board's on that Mission handrail were absolutely a "main event in street skateboarding history."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzx5Ji3Yyas

apologies, if i'm carrying on like some old dude, and you may not have intended to go this far back anyway, since "skate videos" devoted to street skating weren't completely a thing yet...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:38:05 AM by Deputy Wendell »

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 12:00:21 PM »
I am making month by month video timelines of the main events in street skateboarding history from the 1980s and 1990s.

Here is 1989 month by month:
https://www.bitchute.com/video/jJlVkP8pHZsY/

Here is 1990:
https://www.bitchute.com/video/zNX6oxdXi63r/

Great stuff. Thanks for doing this. Post new the new videos up here when you upload them.

GMann

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 05:05:28 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

How did you source the dates for when the footage was filmed, rather than released? Must've taken some deep research.

Mainly from interviews and the thrasher archive. Certain people are very meticulous with dates, such as Mike Vallely, Socrates Leal, and Jacob Rosenberg. So the content is somewhat slanted to stuff those people were involved with.

Sometimes tricks from a video part are released early in a magazine ad, so you can kind of assume that was close to the date it was actually done, or sometimes its a different trick, but the same outfit at the same spot as in the video part.

Thrasher issues were consistently released 3 months early, so for example an April issue was released in January. And this can be confirmed on a case by case basis by looking at the contest results and upcoming events section.

Some of the dates are approximate but should be right give or take 1 month.

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 07:10:37 PM »
This is one of the best ideas I've seen in a while. I hope you have time to continue with the project. I'm sure you could recruit some people to do the month-by-month research and save you some legwork.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i haven't had a chance to look yet, but You's comment here, has me wondering if inevitably a lot of "street skateboarding history" is being overlooked, because for some of us "street skaters," Frankie Hill was a bit down the line historically.

not sure how you're determining a starting point for this history, but if the ollie is a criterion for mapping the earliest points of street skating, Vision's NSA videos at Oceanside were formative for some of us--dare i say--first generation street skaters. specifically Mark Gonzales' parts--in the first one, him ollieing to axle stall on the seat of that picnic table at the end of his run, was a serious historical event in street skating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72sAUG5eRgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_aDl5T7PF0

there weren't many "video" videos just yet, so if you were a "street skater" at this early time, and wanted to ollie and do other early incarnations of modern street skating, these videos were where you looked for stoke.

same with the original Savanah Slamma and/or the Ohio Skateout--it really was mainly Mark Gonzales and a couple of others, making shit up quicker than the mags could even name the tricks (for instance, Gonz 180 ollie to fakie 50-50 at Ohio skateout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KOl_txKQXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHODpvbp1xk&t=105s

of course, "Sick Boys" was significant as well, and Julien Stranger's front board's on that Mission handrail were absolutely a "main event in street skateboarding history."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzx5Ji3Yyas

apologies, if i'm carrying on like some old dude, and you may not have intended to go this far back anyway, since "skate videos" devoted to street skating weren't completely a thing yet...
idk I feel like “streetstyle” and “street skatin” are kinda different. Imo  Frank was first “hesh” street skater in the modern sense. No doubt Gonz, Natas, Blender, and Lance were shreddin streets first but Hill was straight huckin.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 08:45:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
idk I feel like “streetstyle” and “street skatin” are kinda different. Imo  Frank was first “hesh” street skater in the modern sense. No doubt Gonz, Natas, Blender, and Lance were shreddin streets first but Hill was straight huckin.

i totally get this, and these kinds of designations can seem pretty arbitrary at times--as i mentioned above, if a kind of early-modern street-skating based upon the ollie is going to be a starting point, you definitely have to go further back than Frankie Hill.

if plain "hucking" is one end of the historical trajectory, then Hill is one of them for sure. did you happen to watch the Ohio Skateout video? if not, watch the last minute or so--Mark Gonzales' 180 to fakie 50-50 down the contest handrail was absolutely mind-blowing and game-changing at that point, and would still be gnarly today.

Hill was important, but in a very fleeting way, which i guess is all the more reason to document him in this history. the way i understand it, he didn't roll away from a lot of things, which is why his parts are edited the way they are, but i could be wrong--not sure if that has anything to do with what we're talking about here.

edit: i'm too busy (and lazy) right now to do the research myself, but i'm sure a number of these points in time overlap in ways as well. also, to really get an idea of how far ahead of everyone else Mark Gonzales was, watch some of the other skaters--for instance, at that second Oceanside contest, he falls on a number of things, but they're all ollie tricks, including a kickflip, a backtail (stall), and ollieing over an oil drum...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:57:49 AM by Deputy Wendell »

GMann

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »

Man I am totally with you Deputy. However the hard part is reconstructing the dates for each important moment.
I originally wanted to start with 1988, but Thrasher magazine is so focused on Vert in 1988 that it is hard to get any precise dates for what was going on.

From my notes for 1988 all I have is:

"October 1988 - Public Domain is released and Jason lee is on SMA Rocco division."

Even the first half of 1989 was hard to do, really it is only because of Mike Vallely's "Street Plant" website and youtube channel that I was able to get many dates by month for early 1989 because Thrasher is still mainly focused on the vert scene.

But yes 1988 and 1987 could be added later if the research is available, and if anyone can contribute any research on a month by month basis, I'd be happy to incorporate it.

Burnerboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 03:21:07 AM »
This is awesome. Please keep making these.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 03:32:36 AM »
Very cool.

Between projects like this and the NBD Archive on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/nbd_archive/), some folks are going to great efforts to figure this all out and track the many, many innovations in street skating in the 1990s. Awesome.

But, I would so appreciate this information being available in a searchable format. While not as aesthetically pleasing or fun to watch as video clips, it would be great to just be able to look some of these innovations up without having to comb through comments and interviews and such. I really hope the folks going to all this trouble to edit these videos are actually recording the data as well.

But still, fun videos. Great job and keep them coming.

yeah, i'm jonesing for a data dork to log all the nbd instagram stuff and make some kind of browsable graph / family tree / timeline that links through to clips and stories that are relevant. 

I also just want a chronological list of every skate video.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 12:07:26 PM »
Hmm, these don't load for me. Just some bouncing red lines.

Krile

• Rep: -91
  • I train moogles
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 02:06:56 PM »
1989 one will play for me but the 1990 one wont
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 03:04:28 PM »
Had to turn off ad blocker for the site to load

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 03:55:05 AM »
also, to really get an idea of how far ahead of everyone else Mark Gonzales was, watch some of the other skaters--for instance, at that second Oceanside contest, he falls on a number of things, but they're all ollie tricks, including a kickflip, a backtail (stall), and ollieing over an oil drum...

I'd argue that Natas Kaupas was the first progressive "street-style" skater, more so than Mark Gonzales.

The September 1984 issue of Thrasher had a street-style sequences section, and Natas was the only one featured who did an ollie trick, Blender, Lucero et al were doing no-complys, boneless variations. And Natas is on the cover doing a wall ride thing, which is such a break from the past, if you can ride walls you can ride anything. And this is on a board with 9" trucks, big wheels, copers, and rails, must have weighed a ton. This is before they were all street pros, Gonz isn't featured, and Tommy Guerrero is in a freestyle comp in the mag. https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/september-1984/

And moving on a couple of years, at Sacto comp, it's Natas who is doing ollie variations, and trying to boardslide the car, presaging the future, while Mark goes for a more traditional roll on the car bonnet. Not that I'm arguing that Gonz is anyway overrated, but Natas was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4zEE3FC7kQ

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 05:12:38 AM »
Expand Quote
also, to really get an idea of how far ahead of everyone else Mark Gonzales was, watch some of the other skaters--for instance, at that second Oceanside contest, he falls on a number of things, but they're all ollie tricks, including a kickflip, a backtail (stall), and ollieing over an oil drum...
[close]

I'd argue that Natas Kaupas was the first progressive "street-style" skater, more so than Mark Gonzales.

The September 1984 issue of Thrasher had a street-style sequences section, and Natas was the only one featured who did an ollie trick, Blender, Lucero et al were doing no-complys, boneless variations. And Natas is on the cover doing a wall ride thing, which is such a break from the past, if you can ride walls you can ride anything. And this is on a board with 9" trucks, big wheels, copers, and rails, must have weighed a ton. This is before they were all street pros, Gonz isn't featured, and Tommy Guerrero is in a freestyle comp in the mag. https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/september-1984/

And moving on a couple of years, at Sacto comp, it's Natas who is doing ollie variations, and trying to boardslide the car, presaging the future, while Mark goes for a more traditional roll on the car bonnet. Not that I'm arguing that Gonz is anyway overrated, but Natas was there too.

I reckon Gonz would agree.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I reckon Gonz would agree.

i do to, and i agree with you 606, Natas was absolutely right there too--i figure (and i've read) that those two were essentially feeding off of each other's creativity at that point.

the fact that they were pushing things is exactly why they'd fall so much and place low at a lot of those contests--heads like Christian would win by just doing methods and g-turns, while Gonz and Natas (and a couple of others perhaps) were creating an early-modern form of street-skating based on the ollie.

and both of the Sacto contests were definitely important too, thanks for putting that up.

GMann

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 07:34:54 AM »
Just finished 1991, wow what a year! Its a little bit longer than the last 2 because there was a huge amount of progression:

https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory:6/SkateTimeline91:f

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:00:22 AM by GMann »

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 09:02:25 AM »
What a crazy fuckin year

GMann

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:04:32 AM by GMann »

GMann

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »
1993:

https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory:6/Skateboarding1993:8

Similar to 1991 in that the end of the year is very different from the start in terms of the evolution of the style and culture of skateboarding.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:05:08 AM by GMann »

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 390
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 10:51:32 PM »
these are great - thank you

lordrandall

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: -15
  • Your Uncles Favorite Uncle.
    • tokyo 19xx avatar image
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2020, 01:15:19 AM »
Just found this thread, and holy shit. Dude, this is awesome.
Thank you for putting this together.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2020, 05:49:06 AM »
So good. Thanks for the walk down memory lane
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
Fantastic. I can't wait for 1994!
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.