Author Topic: Street Skateboarding History Video Timeline (Month by Month)  (Read 7002 times)

squippy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65
Re: Street Skateboarding History Video Timeline (Month by Month)
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »
Legendary to see an archived chronicle of street skating. This, combined with Evan Hay's commentary review of Vinnie Bahn Dr. Bahn, has made for a great week of content

Tracersbuttbuddy

• Rep: -182
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
I never knew STREET LEAGUE WAS AROUND IN THE 1980S. THAT GONZ RUN SCORED A 8.9 WHICH IS GREAT FOR BACK THEN. I HEARD GAY USED TO SUCK MAD DICKS BACK THEN

GMann

• Rep: 17
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 11:47:40 AM »
Hmm, these don't load for me. Just some bouncing red lines.

Try going back on your browser and then go back in again. Then it should load.

GMann

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2020, 02:48:21 PM »
1994, the year of khaki pants, stone washed jeans, and big flips over trash cans, tables, and blocks.

https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory:6/Skateboarding1994:4
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:05:37 AM by GMann »

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 390
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2020, 02:40:01 PM »
thank you. that McNatt footage is gold

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 09:15:09 AM »
Wow. I never realized how saturated 1994 is with switch mongo pushes.
Especially when both Eastern Exposure 2 and Sub Zero Real Life aren't included.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

GMann

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote

first, to GMann, this is a truly noble endeavor, and respect for taking it on.

i haven't had a chance to look yet, but You's comment here, has me wondering if inevitably a lot of "street skateboarding history" is being overlooked, because for some of us "street skaters," Frankie Hill was a bit down the line historically.

not sure how you're determining a starting point for this history, but if the ollie is a criterion for mapping the earliest points of street skating, Vision's NSA videos at Oceanside were formative for some of us--dare i say--first generation street skaters. specifically Mark Gonzales' parts--in the first one, him ollieing to axle stall on the seat of that picnic table at the end of his run, was a serious historical event in street skating:
[close]

Man I am totally with you Deputy. However the hard part is reconstructing the dates for each important moment.
I originally wanted to start with 1988, but Thrasher magazine is so focused on Vert in 1988 that it is hard to get any precise dates for what was going on.

From my notes for 1988 all I have is:

"October 1988 - Public Domain is released and Jason lee is on SMA Rocco division."

Even the first half of 1989 was hard to do, really it is only because of Mike Vallely's "Street Plant" website and youtube channel that I was able to get many dates by month for early 1989 because Thrasher is still mainly focused on the vert scene.

But yes 1988 and 1987 could be added later if the research is available, and if anyone can contribute any research on a month by month basis, I'd be happy to incorporate it.

Good news Deputy Wendell

After further research, I have found plenty of dates for 1988. So I am going to now work on 1988 as the next video. I was unable to find a date for that 1988 Ohio Skateout contest you posted (surprisingly it was not reported in Thrasher) so unfortunately that will not be included, unless someone else knows the date....

But on the plus side, I have found footage and precise monthly dates for at least 3 other cool street contests in 1988: 1) Munster, 2) Savanna Slamma II, and 3) the first SF Civic Center Contest (in 88' it was called "Disco in Frisco" but in later years it was called the "Back to the City" contest) So there will be plenty of contest footage.

GMann

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »
For your viewing pleasure, here is 1987:

https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory:6/Timeline87FixUp2:9

The height of the jump ramp era. The summer of 1987 also saw the first frontside boardslides down handrails by two skaters: Julian Stranger in San Francisco, that would end up in the 1988 video release "Sick Boys" and Mark Gonzalez in the August Savanna Slamma competition. A few months later Gonz films another one in the streets of New York City.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:06:09 AM by GMann »

GMann

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2020, 02:13:06 PM »

https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory:6/timeline88c:e

1988 sees the rise of young street skaters, mainly amateurs, trying out many of the tricks invented by freestyle skater Rodney Mullen on street boards for the first time. Tricks like 360 flip (by Steve Ortega), double kickflip (by Ron Allen), kickflip manual (by Ray Barbee), kickflip 50-50 (by both Frankie Hill and Ray Barbee), and kickflips over gaps and stairs (by Frankie Hill) are filmed for the first time.
Meanwhile the competition circuit is still being dominated by the older established pros from the launch ramp era, such as Christian Hosoi and the Bones Brigade.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:06:43 AM by GMann »

HeavyLiquid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2020, 07:19:04 PM »
88 is a great year. I was watching that Streetskating with Rob and Natas tape today

GMann

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:07:15 AM by GMann »

GMann

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:11:52 AM by GMann »

GMann

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:08:02 AM by GMann »

GMann

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »
Hi everybody,

So far I have completed 11 month by month timeline videos of skateboarding history from 1986-1996. Unfortunately my principal source for accurate month by month dates was the Thrasher Magazine archive, which is only available until early 1997. So in order to continue the project I need help funding the purchase of old skateboard magazines from 1997 onwards. Most of these are available on Ebay and are usually priced around $10-$25 each. So the resources I need to continue each year of the project will typically be about $200-$250 per video. Any donations to allow this project to continue would be greatly appreciated and can be made here:

https://ko-fi.com/mid90s

Alternatively if someone actually has old skateboard magazines, they could scan them and email them to me. Send me a message on here and I will provide my email address.

In the meantime, on my bitchute channel I have quite a few other skateboard videos that you cannot find on youtube or that have had some of the soundtracks blocked by youtube:

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mid90s/

Thanks and I hope you all continue to enjoy the videos.

GMann

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2021, 07:10:31 AM »
I am copying all the videos over to my Odysee.com channel, Odysee is a more reliable platform, all of the history timeline videos are there along with a lot of other skate videos not on youtube:

https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory

CANtransplant

• SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2021, 08:19:44 PM »
This is fucking sick! Thank you

GMann

donny2chugs

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2021, 11:36:56 PM »
Fuck yeah. First time seeing this project. Thanks!

GMann

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2021, 12:26:26 PM »
In 1998 technical skateboarding made a comeback with skaters like Peter Smolik, Dave Mayhew, and Rob Welsh bringing back into fashion tricks like flips out of tailslides that had been pioneered in the early 90s.

https://odysee.com/@SkateboardingHistory:6/Skateboarding1998:5