Author Topic: Acupuncture  (Read 1287 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Acupuncture
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2022, 06:20:10 PM »
So if I’m understanding you correctly, we should be mixing in psilocybin mushrooms in with the dogs’ kibble.  I bet Shaggy did that to Scooby Doo at least once or twice.  Probably after making one of those really tall sandwiches.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2022, 07:18:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Acupuncture is bullshit. You do you though. The placebo effect works wonders.
[close]
Not true.
[close]
Is true. https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/acupuncture-points-dont-exist/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/emotional-freedom-technique-acupuncture-for-the-mind/

Cupping doesn’t do anything either. They are placebos. But lucky for you, sense you believe in them, they might still have some minor effect.
[close]
Both of those sources are run by the same guy, Steven Novella, and neither is a peer reviewed scientific article. The “Science Based Medicine” site is just some blog he runs via the “New England Skeptics Society.” Not exactly a prestigious source, to say the least.

But if you want to just go grabbing articles off the web and posting them because they back up your preferred conclusion I will happily play along.

Here’s an actual scientific study that found acupuncture stimulates the release of endogenous opioid peptides, ie natural chemicals that reduce the amount of pain you feel.

Expand Quote
Ji-Sheng Han,
Acupuncture and endorphins,
Neuroscience Letters,
Volume 361, Issues 1–3,
Pages 258-261,
ISSN 0304-3940,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2003.12.019.
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394003014009)

Abstract: Acupuncture and electroacupuncture (EA) as complementary and alternative medicine have been accepted worldwide mainly for the treatment of acute and chronic pain. Studies on the mechanisms of action have revealed that endogenous opioid peptides in the central nervous system play an essential role in mediating the analgesic effect of EA. Further studies have shown that different kinds of neuropeptides are released by EA with different frequencies. For example, EA of 2 Hz accelerates the release of enkephalin, β-endorphin and endomorphin, while that of 100 Hz selectively increases the release of dynorphin. A combination of the two frequencies produces a simultaneous release of all four opioid peptides, resulting in a maximal therapeutic effect. This finding has been verified in clinical studies in patients with various kinds of chronic pain including low back pain and diabetic neuropathic pain.
Keywords: Acupuncture; Electroacupuncture; Opioid peptides; Pain; Analgesia
[close]

Does that mean acupuncture cures injuries? No. But it’s far from total bullshit or a placebo, as you alleged.

If you read my post above you’ll see I’m definitely not some kind of acupuncture evangelist. I basically said “It kinda works sometimes.” That’s not exactly a ringing endorsement, but I don’t think it’s intellectually honest to act like acupuncture does nothing at all.
[close]
Just so you know Dr. Steven Novella isn’t just some guy.

Expand Quote
Steven Paul Novella is an American clinical neurologist and associate professor at Yale University School of Medicine. Novella is best known for his involvement in the skeptical movement as a host of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast and as the president of the New England Skeptical Society.
[close]

Also it’s been an unfortunate thing that a lot of Chinese studies are purposefully publishing bunk studies in the field TCM in order to legitimize it. I know you’re just gonna call me racist, but that’s straight up a thing going on.

I don’t really care to have this debate because it never goes anywhere and takes too much bandwidth in my life.
Just because Steven Novella is a doctor at Yale doesn’t mean everything he writes is gospel. My point still stands— the articles that you shared aren’t peer-reviewed science.

And if you want to discredit articles by Chinese authors, that’s fine by me. The second study I posted is by a white guy named Ted Kaptchuk who works at Harvard. Since you’re so enamored with Ivy League credentials this must mean something to you, right?

You’re showing an ignorance about how scientific knowledge is produced, verified, and circulated. Again, I’m not here to say that acupuncture is great or even that it’s particularly effective. I’m just showing that your total dismissal of the practice as “bullshit” is not correct.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2022, 08:52:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Shit, damn, marijuana, grass, ganja, I mean weed, I mean dope, I mean what's now referred to as cannabis was proven, in countless studies, to have no medical value. The psychological, neurological, and physical benefits Ketamine, LSD, and Psilocybin are fringe pseudoscience too, right? Just a bunch of hippies pushing fraudulent research.

This is classic slap.
[close]
Straw man argument. Nobody in the medical or scientific community said those did nothing. That was political. In fact ketamine and psilocybin are downright mainstream now. Fuck, why’d I get back into this?

nobody is a whole lotta somebodies with ideas and beliefs.

i am curious, what's your background in research? medical, scientific, social sciences, etc?
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2022, 12:22:06 AM »
This thread inspired me to treat myself to a acupuncture session and a massage tomorrow.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2022, 05:39:25 AM »
I had a severe case of testiculitis and was in terrible pain for several years (imagine feeling constantly like you’ve just sacked a rail). Took antibiotics, painkillers etc, went through the whole gamut of western medicine therapy options. Ultimately got a surgery to sever an artery to reduce the blood flow in the nutsack which they thought was causing it. None of it did anything.

Then by dumb luck found a good classically trained Chinese doctor in Xian where I was living at the time and started to do a full herbal medicine plus acupuncture therapy (here in China the different traditional therapy forms are usually used together as needed). After three months it was significantly better and after three more I was fine. Saved my life. I still needle certain points myself occasionally.

Intellectually I think that what most people don’t realise is that acupuncture has to be seen within the entire TCM system which includes pulse diagnosis, meridian organ systems etc. essentially an entire way of thinking about what the human body is and how it works. Used within that system the acupuncture is not supposed to treat “back pain” or whatever but rather whatever imbalance as diagnosed within the system causes the back pain. Its easy to dismiss this of course from the point of view of modern science (when I cut it open I cant see it, so it doesn’t exist) but it undeniably produced medical results regardless and for certain problems works better than western medicine (whose effectiveness is itself often overestimated). So to my mind its worth taking seriously.

Generally speaking I think scientific medicine tends to look at the placebo effect assbackwards. Whatever it may be, its a way to cure people without medicine (which is always part poison) or other intervention. You would think doctors would use a shitload of resources to support modalities that bring “the placebo effect” (if that’s what you wish to call spontaneous healing without chemical or surgical intervention) about, instead of trying to belittle or dismiss them.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2022, 08:21:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hahaha people saying acupuncture is not bullshit crack me up.
[close]

It's just like homeopathy. Pseudo science
Nobody ever proved it works better than placebo
Dog would have probably felt the same without any needle

Humanity did stupid things for milleniums before being able to scientifically prove it was stupid and move on
[close]
I just shared a scientific article earlier in the thread that shows otherwise

Want another one? Here:

Expand Quote
Acupuncture: theory, efficacy, and practice

Ted J Kaptchuk
Annals of internal medicine 136 (5), 374-383, 2002

URL: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C33&q=acupuncture&oq=#d=gs_qabs&t=1663342407785&u=%23p%3DTiarn3s-dCQJ

Traditionally, acupuncture is embedded in naturalistic theories that are compatible with Confucianism and Taoism. Such ideas as yin-yang, qi, dampness, and wind represent East Asian conceptual frameworks that emphasize the reliability of ordinary, human sensory awareness. Many physicians who practice acupuncture reject such prescientific notions. Numerous randomized, controlled trials and more than 25 systematic reviews and meta-analyses have evaluated the clinical efficacy of acupuncture. Evidence from these trials indicates that acupuncture is effective for emesis developing after surgery or chemotherapy in adults and for nausea associated with pregnancy. Good evidence exists that acupuncture is also effective for relieving dental pain. For such conditions as chronic pain, back pain, and headache, the data are equivocal or contradictory. Clinical research on acupuncture poses unique methodologic challenges. Properly performed acupuncture seems to be a safe procedure. Basic-science research provides evidence that begins to offer plausible mechanisms for the presumed physiologic effects of acupuncture. Multiple research approaches have shown that acupuncture activates endogenous opioid mechanisms. Recent data, obtained by using functional magnetic resonance imaging, suggest that acupuncture has regionally specific, quantifiable effects on relevant brain structures. Acupuncture may stimulate gene expression of neuropeptides. The training and provision of acupuncture care in the United States are rapidly expanding.
[close]

So it was found effective at reducing the nausea associated with pregnancy

Again, I’m not even a huge acupuncture advocate. I just like debunking people who waltz into a long running scientific debate with zero sources and act like they’re experts

First article abstract says nothing positive about acupuncture. Electroacupuncture IS NOT acupuncture.
Misleading title.

Electroacupuncture is a form of acupuncture in which acupuncture needles are attached to a device that generates continuous electric pulses (this has been described as "essentially transdermal electrical nerve stimulation [TENS] masquerading as acupuncture")
From Wiki about Acupuncture

I'll admit there is a challenge in evaluating efficiency of acupuncture though. It's almost not possible to do proper double blind studies.
Anyway

Efficacy
Acupuncture has been researched extensively; as of 2013, there were almost 1,500 randomized controlled trials on PubMed with "acupuncture" in the title. The results of reviews of acupuncture's efficacy, however, have been inconclusive.[73]

In January 2020, David Gorski analyzed a 2020 review of systematic reviews ("Acupuncture for the Relief of Chronic Pain: A Synthesis of Systematic Reviews") concerning the use of acupuncture to treat chronic pain. Writing in Science-Based Medicine, Gorski said that its findings highlight the conclusion that acupuncture is "a theatrical placebo whose real history has been retconned beyond recognition." He also said this review "reveals the many weaknesses in the design of acupuncture clinical trials".[74]

Sciencedirect.com is full of peer reviewed articles showing it's not effective (or just like placebo).
Go figure
Calling it bullshit is slightly over the top but it's relevant to call it bullshit when considering the way acupuncture is marketed and sold. Way too often used to "cure" health problems for which it has been proven to be ineffective.

Acupuncture concept revolves around meridians. There's no such things in human body

Proper article here:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/26/acupuncture-sceptics-proof-effective-nhs

I like debunking too but you gotta work on your method. Finding a few articles doesn't outweigh the large majority of articles that says the contrary. it's a matter of mass.
Check Cochrane works on Acupuncture for some mass.

not trying to bring an authority argument but just in case you ask, i worked as a R&D engineer (not in medecine though) and one of my missions was to evaluate bias and flaws in scientific studies. Zetetic was a hobby. Hence my interest for pseudo-sciences always failing at showing their efficiency.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 08:38:57 AM by BALARGUE »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2022, 09:01:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hahaha people saying acupuncture is not bullshit crack me up.
[close]

It's just like homeopathy. Pseudo science
Nobody ever proved it works better than placebo
Dog would have probably felt the same without any needle

Humanity did stupid things for milleniums before being able to scientifically prove it was stupid and move on
[close]
I just shared a scientific article earlier in the thread that shows otherwise

Want another one? Here:

Expand Quote
Acupuncture: theory, efficacy, and practice

Ted J Kaptchuk
Annals of internal medicine 136 (5), 374-383, 2002

URL: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C33&q=acupuncture&oq=#d=gs_qabs&t=1663342407785&u=%23p%3DTiarn3s-dCQJ

Traditionally, acupuncture is embedded in naturalistic theories that are compatible with Confucianism and Taoism. Such ideas as yin-yang, qi, dampness, and wind represent East Asian conceptual frameworks that emphasize the reliability of ordinary, human sensory awareness. Many physicians who practice acupuncture reject such prescientific notions. Numerous randomized, controlled trials and more than 25 systematic reviews and meta-analyses have evaluated the clinical efficacy of acupuncture. Evidence from these trials indicates that acupuncture is effective for emesis developing after surgery or chemotherapy in adults and for nausea associated with pregnancy. Good evidence exists that acupuncture is also effective for relieving dental pain. For such conditions as chronic pain, back pain, and headache, the data are equivocal or contradictory. Clinical research on acupuncture poses unique methodologic challenges. Properly performed acupuncture seems to be a safe procedure. Basic-science research provides evidence that begins to offer plausible mechanisms for the presumed physiologic effects of acupuncture. Multiple research approaches have shown that acupuncture activates endogenous opioid mechanisms. Recent data, obtained by using functional magnetic resonance imaging, suggest that acupuncture has regionally specific, quantifiable effects on relevant brain structures. Acupuncture may stimulate gene expression of neuropeptides. The training and provision of acupuncture care in the United States are rapidly expanding.
[close]

So it was found effective at reducing the nausea associated with pregnancy

Again, I’m not even a huge acupuncture advocate. I just like debunking people who waltz into a long running scientific debate with zero sources and act like they’re experts
[close]

First article abstract says nothing positive about acupuncture. Electroacupuncture IS NOT acupuncture.
Misleading title.

Expand Quote
Electroacupuncture is a form of acupuncture in which acupuncture needles are attached to a device that generates continuous electric pulses (this has been described as "essentially transdermal electrical nerve stimulation [TENS] masquerading as acupuncture")
[close]
From Wiki about Acupuncture

I'll admit there is a challenge in evaluating efficiency of acupuncture though. It's almost not possible to do proper double blind studies.
Anyway

Expand Quote
Efficacy
Acupuncture has been researched extensively; as of 2013, there were almost 1,500 randomized controlled trials on PubMed with "acupuncture" in the title. The results of reviews of acupuncture's efficacy, however, have been inconclusive.[73]

In January 2020, David Gorski analyzed a 2020 review of systematic reviews ("Acupuncture for the Relief of Chronic Pain: A Synthesis of Systematic Reviews") concerning the use of acupuncture to treat chronic pain. Writing in Science-Based Medicine, Gorski said that its findings highlight the conclusion that acupuncture is "a theatrical placebo whose real history has been retconned beyond recognition." He also said this review "reveals the many weaknesses in the design of acupuncture clinical trials".[74]
[close]

Sciencedirect.com is full of peer reviewed articles showing it's not effective (or just like placebo).
Go figure
Calling it bullshit is slightly over the top but it's relevant to call it bullshit when considering the way acupuncture is marketed and sold. Way too often used to "cure" health problems for which it has been proven to be ineffective.

Acupuncture concept revolves around meridians. There's no such things in human body

Proper article here:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/26/acupuncture-sceptics-proof-effective-nhs

I like debunking too but you gotta work on your method. Finding a few articles doesn't outweigh the large majority of articles that says the contrary. it's a matter of mass.
Check Cochrane works on Acupuncture for some mass.

not trying to bring an authority argument but just in case you ask, i worked as a R&D engineer (not in medecine though) and one of my missions was to evaluate bias and flaws in scientific studies. Zetetic was a hobby. Hence my interest for pseudo-sciences always failing at showing their efficiency.

>tells us that electro acupuncture isn’t acupuncture
>posts a source that literally says “electro acupuncture is a form of acupuncture”

Lol, ok

…But i actually agree with your later points. Calling it bullshit is, as you say rather eloquently, slightly over the top. That’s really all I’ve been trying to show here.

Really picking apart the findings of studies and evaluating them according to their design shows very mixed evidence. This doesn’t mean that acupuncture “works” or “doesn’t work” in a broad or universal sense, Rather, it means that it appears to have some/limited efficacy in particular applications that vary greatly from study to study and are tough to generalize.

Like I’ve said before, I’m really not an acupuncture evangelist. I just wanted to explain why complete dismissal of the entire field as “bullshit” is incorrect.

And hey, if we’re flexing our credentials I will note that I am a university professor with a STEM PhD. Which makes me think: picking apart acupuncture articles and critiquing them would actually be a really good exercise for my graduate students in research design/research methods courses in the future.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2022, 09:09:40 AM »
Also, for the record, I have been enjoying this thread as an opportunity to get my post count up. Only a few more posts until I hit pal status.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2022, 10:46:14 AM »
My bad but I’m pretty sure you get that electric pulses through needles is way different than just needles.

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2022, 11:32:16 AM »
my mom gets acupuncture should i be worried shes in a cult?

live, laugh, love

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2022, 02:16:06 PM »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2022, 04:16:39 PM »
dudes are really fighting over acupuncture in here

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2022, 05:14:25 PM »
dudes are really fighting over acupuncture in here

Gonna lay some nuts out on the fuckin dresser, just some nuts on a fuckin dresser, and bang them shits with a spiked fuckin bat BLAOM!

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2022, 05:44:02 PM »
Last year I had an irritated nerve in my left leg. It was painful to stand for long periods of time. I didn’t skate for over a month during the summer as a result.

I went to an acupuncturist twice, but didn’t notice any improvements.

I then went to a physiotherapist who gave me some advice and showed me some stretches. I did them on a regular basis and the pain went away soon after.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2022, 06:11:52 AM »
If acupuncture is so healthy, why do stabbing victims tend to die?  Shouldn’t they live to be like 300 years old and have super powers?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2022, 12:56:53 PM »
Last year I had an irritated nerve in my left leg. It was painful to stand for long periods of time. I didn’t skate for over a month during the summer as a result.

I then went to a physiotherapist who gave me some advice and showed me some stretches. I did them on a regular basis and the pain went away soon after.
Yeah I’ve had similar experiences. As I said earlier I have sometimes gotten relief from acupuncture and find it generally pleasurable, but a good physical therapy regiment has been wayyyyy more helpful when I’m dealing with chronic problems. The right stretches and exercises can do incredible shit.

Funny enough there are also lots of practices I’ve gotten at the PT that haters will call “bullshit” including acupuncture of course, as well as cupping, trigger point release therapy, etc. The PTs who stay up on literature all seem to agree that these treatments have some (again, limited) efficacy, and like to work them into a broader care plan.

I hope that by speaking positively of these practices I’m triggering a few weirdos. Stay mad! I’m getting my mf knots worked out with all types of new age shit and it feels hella good

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »
If acupuncture is so healthy, why do stabbing victims tend to die?  Shouldn’t they live to be like 300 years old and have super powers?
based

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2022, 03:11:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah I’ve had similar experiences. As I said earlier I have sometimes gotten relief from acupuncture and find it generally pleasurable, but a good physical therapy regiment has been wayyyyy more helpful when I’m dealing with chronic problems. The right stretches and exercises can do incredible shit.

Funny enough there are also lots of practices I’ve gotten at the PT that haters will call “bullshit” including acupuncture of course, as well as cupping, trigger point release therapy, etc. The PTs who stay up on literature all seem to agree that these treatments have some (again, limited) efficacy, and like to work them into a broader care plan.

I hope that by speaking positively of these practices I’m triggering a few weirdos. Stay mad! I’m getting my mf knots worked out with all types of new age shit and it feels hella good

trigger point is exceptionally helpful, or can be.

as someone who has been immersed in the body work/yoga/sports medicine worlds as a student/patient/trainee/instructor for 13 or so years, i'm going to reiterate that the skill, ability, and knowledge of the practitioner makes all the difference. In the very recent past no one was talking about the fascial net (or the layer of living connective tissue that holds everything together). Anatomy teachings have completely left it out and stuff like "myofascial release" was seen as fringe or pseudoscience.

but to each their own. I was skeptical of many things until I encountered talented practitioners. I've been to PT and OT for various injuries and surgeries in different sections of the body, the vast majority of care provided was lacking at best and needed to be supplemented with "alternative" modalities. But hey, right, like those who say it doesn't work because of their experience, this is just mine. peace luv and hippy grease

Oaf

• Rep: 16
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2022, 07:31:39 PM »
By no means with my neighbour's dog story am I trying to say acupuncture should be recognized as the be all end all, or that it has a very broad range of applications.   Just that in that particular case it seemed to have a nearly undeniable instant effect, and worked for whatever particulars were happening with that pooch.

I’m not into homeopathy for the most part, and alternative medicine I largely give a pass, although I’m fortunately not a guy that has needed much medical attention or experienced chronic pain.  I will say that my wife was going to a chiropractor for chronic issues including brutal neck pain and vertigo that medical drs and specialists weren’t giving the time of day…. The chiropractor after a couple sessions told her that there was something more serious than was diagnosed happening and to push for actual scans.  That he felt like something was terribly wrong.  Him saying that probably saved her life as a tumour on her brain stem would have probably ofed her in another couple months unless we had the confidence to be the squeaky wheel and actually get her an MRI.  She was in surgery 10 days later.

On the other hand, compare that to the masseuse who saw my wife a few days before that who confidently said she could heal all of her woes with repeated craniosacral therapy sessions, and that a medical dr was no longer necessary.  Brah.  Good luck shrinking an orange sized tumour by waving ur hands.

I’ve got to thank you guys for discussing this because it’s making me read up on everything, and that is always a plus.

I’ve personally found relief in the bone crackers on occasion and massage therapy is just undeniably great at times.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2022, 08:57:59 AM »
By no means with my neighbour's dog story am I trying to say acupuncture should be recognized as the be all end all, or that it has a very broad range of applications.   Just that in that particular case it seemed to have a nearly undeniable instant effect, and worked for whatever particulars were happening with that pooch.

I’m not into homeopathy for the most part, and alternative medicine I largely give a pass, although I’m fortunately not a guy that has needed much medical attention or experienced chronic pain.  I will say that my wife was going to a chiropractor for chronic issues including brutal neck pain and vertigo that medical drs and specialists weren’t giving the time of day…. The chiropractor after a couple sessions told her that there was something more serious than was diagnosed happening and to push for actual scans.  That he felt like something was terribly wrong.  Him saying that probably saved her life as a tumour on her brain stem would have probably ofed her in another couple months unless we had the confidence to be the squeaky wheel and actually get her an MRI.  She was in surgery 10 days later.

On the other hand, compare that to the masseuse who saw my wife a few days before that who confidently said she could heal all of her woes with repeated craniosacral therapy sessions, and that a medical dr was no longer necessary.  Brah.  Good luck shrinking an orange sized tumour by waving ur hands.

I’ve got to thank you guys for discussing this because it’s making me read up on everything, and that is always a plus.

I’ve personally found relief in the bone crackers on occasion and massage therapy is just undeniably great at times.
thanks for sharing this. i fully agree with your stance on the acupuncture and the dogs-- sometimes it works! but it aint the end-all be-all by any stretch.

Homeopathy, I believe, has way less evidence in support of it, although I haven't read up on it as much either. I wouldn't be surprised if it was total quackery, but unlike some people I don't like to talk out of my ass about things I don't actually know.

Chiropractic I think is somewhere in the middle. If I understand correctly, theres a bit of evidence that it can do good things but also some evidence that in the wrong hands it can do serious damage. I've had some chiro work that felt good and seemed to help but it was part of a broader PT plan so I really can't say with any certainty how it affected me personally, and I haven't read the research literature at all.

The story about your wife is crazy! It really shows the difference between an 'alternative' practitioner with a realistic evidence-based approach vs someone who's a fucking nutjob. It's a shame that the quacks are out there overselling their services because they give the whole field a bad name.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2022, 11:11:09 PM »
Yeah, crazy story about your wife. I hope you guys wrote that chiropractor a good Yelp review!!! Holy shit!  How's she doing?

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2022, 11:15:26 PM »
I’ve never had acupuncture done but became a little curious about it after seeing this documentary. Its about a community health clinic called the Lincoln Detox Center set up in the 70s in the South Bronx by the Black Panthers and Young Lords (including Tupac’s step-father Mutulu Shakur), which used acupuncture as an alternative to methadone to treat heroin addiction. Also, its an independently produced piece, Vice just hosted it, better than their own typical output by quite a lot IMO. Pretty interesting story…

https://youtu.be/Ua-m7AANkQ4

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2022, 01:12:18 AM »
I mean there is literally universities out there that teach 4 year degrees in TCM so yeah…
Personally I like cupping better, but it’s more personal preference than anything

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Oaf

• Rep: 16
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2022, 07:55:49 AM »
Yeah, crazy story about your wife. I hope you guys wrote that chiropractor a good Yelp review!!! Holy shit!  How's she doing?

That chiropractor I recommend to anyone, and everyone who mentions musculoskeletal issues.  Come to think of this story there was another chiropractor that my wife saw once while this fellow was away, and he had the same quack “I will heal everything by cracking your bones” mentality as the craniosacral lady. 

My wife is doing considerably better, thanks!  Surgery was almost 3 years ago now, and recovery has been very slow but steady.  Every 6 months she has had an mri since and it’s all clean.  While she isn’t driving or working yet, she’s getting close.  Before surgery she could barely walk, I had to help her up out of bed, and sit, she had vertigo, double vision, and started randomly vomiting.  It’s fucked how long it took to get taken seriously.  Our gp was good and sent us to specialists etc, but it broke down after that.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2022, 09:53:14 AM »
Glad she is doing better. I lost my mother to a brain tumor so happy to hear it is working out for your wife after 3 years.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2024, 11:56:15 AM »
Skateboarding's been my passion for years, but it's definitely left its mark on me, especially with all the falls and close calls. I used to brush off the aches until they started piling up. A buddy of mine, who had been raving about his neck pain treatment in Edmonton South, finally convinced me to give acupuncture a shot. He swore by these experts who were wizards with needles and had a knack for pinpointing exactly where the pain was coming from. Taking his advice was one of the best decisions I've made.

I've been going for multiple acupuncture sessions, and it's been a game-changer for managing the wear and tear from skateboarding.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 02:36:07 AM by brucewillis »