Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19824 times)

skateboardnorth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2022, 05:32:10 PM »
Anyone learn any new songs on guitar lately?  I've been practicing Oblivion by Mastodon.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2022, 05:51:20 AM »
Damn that's fast.....
I'm learning this kind of stuff
1:10

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2022, 07:52:41 AM »
The last thing I learned that felt like an accomplishment was Square Hammer by Ghost.

I mainly just try to learn easier songs by ear although I often cheat and watch guitar covers on YouTube when I can’t figure something out. Last couple of songs were Coma Girl (Joe Strummer), Don’t Look Back Into the Sun (The Libertines), Hybrid Moments (Misfits), Never Coming Home (Reigning Sound), Harborcoat (REM), finally learned the whole outro solo of Rumors in Town (Exploding Hearts), and working on the solo for Deceiver (Judas Priest).

I watch a lot of the “Anyone Can Play Guitar” channel on YouTube and try to learn the lessons I’m interested in. Struggling to get halfway through the solo for Another Nail In My Heart (Squeeze).

There’s another YouTuber named Tom Conlon who does surf covers and those are fun.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2022, 08:37:04 AM »
Damn that's fast.....
I'm learning this kind of stuff
1:10

This was cool. When I see blues guitar my mind sometimes goes straight to boring noodling but I really like this.

I've been on kind of a fingerpicking kick. Learned "make me a pallet on your floor" by Mississipi john hurt and now learning freight train after seeing it above.

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2022, 03:32:59 PM »

I plan on getting a Boss Loop station and a fuzz pedal of some sort…any suggestions? I don’t know what I was thinking when I bought the pedal board.

I just bought a Little Big Muff. So good!

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2022, 05:02:33 PM »
Earthquaker Hoof is a great Fuzz pedal.

Otherwise as mentioned you can't really go wrong with any type of Muff.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2022, 06:20:26 AM »
Mostly just learning easy chord stuff. Learned some VU songs from Loaded, a few early Dandy Warhols songs.

@SchizophrenicFatBoy I think the ZVEX Mastotron is forever my favorite fuzz. It does it all. I think that combined with a muff is a pretty ace fuzz combo. The muff takes care of thick and heavy stuff, then I'll set the ZVEX pretty sputtery and sharp for a different flavor of fuzz. The DOD Carcosa is another good one with lots of sounds. They were pretty cheap, but I don't know how available they are now. Fender also has a new one coming out that might be cool. Looks like it might be a foxx tone machine clone, and it's only like $80.

Check out effects bakery pedals. I have one of their muff clones and I like it just as much as my ehx one, but it's like 1/4 the size. Although it doesn't look like you're hurting for space on your board, lol.

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2022, 09:05:44 AM »
Thanks for all the recommendations for fuzz pedals. I'm going to try a bunch out at Sweetwater.

Has anyone used Guitareo or Fender Play? Guitar lessons are too expensive for me but I want some sort of structured learning. I'm just playing the same licks and not really progressing. It's fun but it's like only doing boardslides and noseslides.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2022, 01:14:46 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations for fuzz pedals. I'm going to try a bunch out at Sweetwater.

Has anyone used Guitareo or Fender Play? Guitar lessons are too expensive for me but I want some sort of structured learning. I'm just playing the same licks and not really progressing. It's fun but it's like only doing boardslides and noseslides.

I think I could've signed up for a few free months of fender play, but I never did. My mind changes about what I want to play every day, so once I learned the basics I couldn't follow any rigid lesson stuff. I kinda wish I had the time to though.

As far as free stuff, I really like Anyone Can Play Guitar on youtube like Willie mentioned. He caters to a lot of my personal tastes, but he really covers a lot different styles and teaches them very well. He's got song lessons and kinda theory-for-people-who-don't-know-theory lessons. Solid range of beginner through intermediate levels. I could even see some of his stuff being helpful even if you've been playing for decades as he really encourages creativity and approaching things in a bunch of different ways.

Another guy I like who's a bit corny, but also makes theory a lot easier to understand is a guy name Sean Daniel. I'll watch his stuff and sometimes I can't always play along with some of the melody stuff, but it definitely gets me out of my usual pentatonic bullshit and familiar chord progressions. A lot of his stuff focuses on sort of mixing lead and rhythm playing together.

There was a guy named Just Nick Guitar or something like that, and he had a lot of fun jam and make it up on the fly videos, but all his shit seems to have vanished. His stuff was super fun because he'd start it off super simple and you'd slightly add in things, or see how many variations you could do. He played guitar almost like a bass player, which I think can be a pretty cool approach.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2022, 02:13:37 PM »
Don't know if anyone plays a more jazz-style of guitar, I have been trying to learn this song for a while but I have only been able to play simpler renditions of it.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2022, 02:56:01 PM »
Don't know if anyone plays a more jazz-style of guitar, I have been trying to learn this song for a while but I have only been able to play simpler renditions of it.

yeah I can play the lead and do some basic comping but I'm still not ready for solo/improvisation
so in the meantime I'm learning the melody and chords for other basic songs like Green dolphin street, Tangerine...

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2022, 04:08:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yeah I can play the lead and do some basic comping but I'm still not ready for solo/improvisation
so in the meantime I'm learning the melody and chords for other basic songs like Green dolphin street, Tangerine...

That's sick!, this is the version I learned start to finish. This version took me 2-3 weeks to learn and its not nearly as complex as Tal Farlows rendition. Solo/improvisational jazz guitar seems to require such a large amount of knowledge of chord variations (7th's, diminished, 9th's, etc.), learning this version taught me a lot but I have barley tapped into all the shit there is to learn.

animalflesh

« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2022, 04:10:39 PM »
Playing the dano

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2022, 10:24:57 PM »

Scored this at the pawn shop today. So stoked I waited.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2022, 05:48:59 AM »
Playing the dano

Danelectros are such unique guitars. I have a baritone one and it's so fun to play really noisy stuff with but it also sounds really pretty when it needs to.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2022, 08:01:34 AM »
Anyone experienced in pick up swaps.

I’ve owned pickups but I lost them before I could put in my ax. I have no idea what they were. My metal core band gifted them to me because I always had junk guitars or loaners. Probably lost or temporarily lost my ax at the time too.

Anyway I’m thinking screaming demon is the best tone for Hardcore Punk but I’m open to humbucker suggestions. I don’t mess with active pickups usually.

On a side note
I’ve owned 5 or 6 epiphone guitars. Not one had a working switch. Center position is always a kill switch
(A)pl(E)

Andmoreagain

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2022, 11:08:50 AM »

I’ve owned pickups but I lost them before I could put in my ax. I have no idea what they were. My metal core band gifted them to me because I always had junk guitars or loaners. Probably lost or temporarily lost my ax at the time too.

Anyway I’m thinking screaming demon is the best tone for Hardcore Punk but I’m open to humbucker suggestions. I don’t mess with active pickups usually.

On a side note
I’ve owned 5 or 6 epiphone guitars. Not one had a working switch. Center position is always a kill switch

Its really easy, just basic soldering. You can get a full kit of everything you need on amazon for about $17. There are tons of resources on youtube for the how-to of it.

Replacing that switch will be just as easy and cheap

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2022, 08:39:34 PM »
Expand Quote

On a side note
[close]

Its really easy, just basic soldering. You can get a full kit of everything you need on amazon for about $17. There are tons of resources on youtube for the how-to of it.

Replacing that switch will be just as easy and cheap

I’m going to check it out.
(A)pl(E)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2022, 09:11:22 PM »

On a side note

Despite the name, the screamin demon is actually a pretty mellow, PAF flavoured pickup. That George Lynch dude was just playing them through insanely high gain amps like Soldanos. Which brings me to my next point, definitely consider what amp you're going be playing though when choosing pickups. If you're playing through a clean-ish amp and kicking on pedals for higher gain you might not notice a pickup swap too much. Also, raising/lowering the pickups, or changing the volume pots to different values can sometimes get you where you want without having to drop $100+ on new pickups.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2022, 05:45:48 AM »

On a side note

Get the current electronics sorted and spend the p’up money on an HM2.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2022, 12:33:50 PM »
@Thom that was sick, and that guitar is wild! Giving Raspberry Bulbs a listen now.

If you ever don't know what to practice, I'd give these dice a shot. I bought some a few months ago and I've found them to be super fun and helpful when it comes to creating chord progressions or riffs. Definitely gets me out of my familiar patterns. I like putting on a drum loop, then roll them and try to make a bunch of different riffs using whatever chords/notes it gives me.

https://www.thepracticeshoppe.com/collections/music-dice/products/musician-dice-1

flannelslut

• Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2022, 04:05:43 PM »
just finished this jazzmaster sorry for huge photo

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2022, 04:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote

On a side note
[close]

I got the hm2. I’m looking for a fuzz face with bias control.

I feel like raw punk would be sick with that. I’m trying to blend like Hendrix/Trower tones with Johnny Thunders licks with a lot of biohazard and discharge.

We even are venturing into Metallica territory with some of our arraignments but all minced down to songs under 2:30.

It’s working out pretty well before we lost our space.

Expand Quote

On a side note
[close]

Despite the name, the screamin demon is actually a pretty mellow, PAF flavoured pickup. That George Lynch dude was just playing them through insanely high gain amps like Soldanos. Which brings me to my next point, definitely consider what amp you're going be playing though when choosing pickups. If you're playing through a clean-ish amp and kicking on pedals for higher gain you might not notice a pickup swap too much. Also, raising/lowering the pickups, or changing the volume pots to different values can sometimes get you where you want without having to drop $100+ on new pickups.

Razors use the screaming demon I like the pick up.

I definitely am looking to sound similar.

What pots would you suggest?

It’s going to be a while till I can make changes but I’d like to know 

That is so beautiful.

(A)pl(E)

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2022, 03:44:23 AM »
That Jazzmaster is cool!

What's the story behind it/details?

I have a cheap Jazzmaster clone that I want to butcher eventually, but haven't really come up with a plan for it yet.

flannelslut

• Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2022, 04:52:50 AM »
That Jazzmaster is cool!

I have a cheap Jazzmaster clone that I want to butcher eventually, but haven't really come up with a plan for it yet.

not much to the story but i tried to save almost every board that i had skated for 20 plus years, Ive always wanted to learn how to build guitars and knew that I could do something kind of unique using the skateboards. I know i'm far from the first but since they are just for me I can get away with using the shapes I like. Here is a tele that I made at the same time:

animalflesh

« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2022, 05:54:49 AM »
@Thom that was sick, and that guitar is wild! Giving Raspberry Bulbs a listen now.

If you ever don't know what to practice, I'd give these dice a shot. I bought some a few months ago and I've found them to be super fun and helpful when it comes to creating chord progressions or riffs. Definitely gets me out of my familiar patterns. I like putting on a drum loop, then roll them and try to make a bunch of different riffs using whatever chords/notes it gives me.

https://www.thepracticeshoppe.com/collections/music-dice/products/musician-dice-1

Thanks!

Danos are awesome and totally their own sound. I play mine almost every day

I actually might buy those dice that’s cool

And those skateboard guitars are absolutely beautiful

Andmoreagain

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2022, 08:05:28 AM »
Those skateboard guitars are incredible!

Here is my set up:

I just sent that amp off to get serviced and my back up vox pathfinder shit the bed the next day  :-\ .

Thought about getting a fender champ to replace it since the lafayette is kind of a one trick pony but dame the silverface amps got a lot more expensive!

beandemon

« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2022, 08:18:03 AM »
Expand Quote
That Jazzmaster is cool!

[close]

not much to the story but i tried to save almost every board that i had skated for 20 plus years, Ive always wanted to learn how to build guitars and knew that I could do something kind of unique using the skateboards. I know i'm far from the first but since they are just for me I can get away with using the shapes I like. Here is a tele that I made at the same time:

Sick!  Most “recycled” skartblort projects are lame and I often suspect they’re buying veneer, but those are cool. Very nice kind of topography effect from sanding to reveal plys rather than gratuitous use of the “exposed edge” parallel hell usually seen. Also, 7ender shapes are sooo widely copied I wouldn’t worry. R-eye-see will come after you.

Oaf

• Rep: 16
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2022, 08:26:15 AM »
Those skateboard guitars are incredible!

Here is my set up:

I just sent that amp off to get serviced and my back up vox pathfinder shit the bed the next day  :-\ .

Thought about getting a fender champ to replace it since the lafayette is kind of a one trick pony but dame the silverface amps got a lot more expensive!

Nice stuff!  That strat has some character.  What is it?

First time I’ve looked at silverface amps in a few years, and good god you are not wrong.  I sold a deluxe reverb a few years back for 1k Canadian as I was short on cash, preferred my other amps, and gave a friend a good deal.  It hurts to see what they go for now, but I bought that amp and a 1959 guild ce-100d for $1200 combined a few years prior.  I still have and love the guild, so there is that.  The franz p90 pickups are spectacular.

beandemon

« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2022, 08:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

On a side note
[close]

[close]

I got the hm2. I’m looking for a fuzz face with bias control.

I feel like raw punk would be sick with that. I’m trying to blend like Hendrix/Trower tones with Johnny Thunders licks with a lot of biohazard and discharge.

We even are venturing into Metallica territory with some of our arraignments but all minced down to songs under 2:30.

It’s working out pretty well before we lost our space.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

On a side note
[close]

[close]

Razors use the screaming demon I like the pick up.

I definitely am looking to sound similar.

What pots would you suggest?

It’s going to be a while till I can make changes but I’d like to know 
Expand Quote

[close]

That is so beautiful.

Dammit, you just sent me on a 1 hour dork-out on the FF circuit. Usually, the fussy nature of Ge transistors puts me off, but I got curious about a bias control. Any particular pedals you’re eyeing?

Seems like you’ve got a pretty good idea of the sound your after, both in terms of tone and musical direction.