Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19309 times)

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 226
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 17, 2023, 04:05:48 PM »
anyone tryout the hologram microcosm?

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2023, 07:11:27 AM »
I've got an update on the Jackson with the Floyd Rose I've been playing...

I can't fucking stand it. It's infuriating. Everytime I sit down to play I spend at least 20 minutes trying to tune it, and after a few minutes of playing I have to tune it again, and again, and again. The part of the bridge you screw the whammy bar into is loose, so I can't even use the whammy bar properly.

I know this could be avoided if I pay to get it set up, but whatever tuning I have it set up in has to stay in that tuning. I also don't want to pay upwards of $160 to get it set up. One of my hesitations in getting this guitar was exactly what I'm going through now.

Idk, I'm at a loss with it. It was a gift so I'm not going to get rid of it as it holds sentimental value, but I've switched back to playing my semi hollow body.

Does anyone else use a Floyd Rose system? Any advice?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 07:33:33 AM by fineslime »

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2023, 08:48:24 AM »
Picked up a few random picks yesterday to try out.  Including a purple Tortex which I think is 1.14, a Big Stubby 1.0, and a Jazz III which is so tiny I have no idea how anyone plays them.  I am slowly starting to appreciate the feel and sound of thicker picks though.  I’m guessing that once you get good enough you can play with anything, but for noobs like me it can be a struggle.  Like the Tortexs are nice but not grippy, which I imagine is only an issue if you’re inexperienced.

Picked up some fresh strings for both my acoustic and electric as well, but want to switch them all out at once so will probably wait until I snap one or get bored.

Maybe try the Jazz III XL?

I love Jazz II and III and have a few stubbies kicking around too

collie

• Rep: 0
« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2023, 10:44:57 AM »

I can't fucking stand it. It's infuriating. Everytime I sit down to play I spend at least 20 minutes trying to tune it, and after a few minutes of playing I have to tune it again, and again, and again. The part of the bridge you screw the whammy bar into is loose, so I can't even use the whammy bar properly.

I know this could be avoided if I pay to get it set up, but whatever tuning I have it set up in has to stay in that tuning. I also don't want to pay upwards of $160 to get it set up. One of my hesitations in getting this guitar was exactly what I'm going through now.

Idk, I'm at a loss with it. It was a gift so I'm not going to get rid of it as it holds sentimental value, but I've switched back to playing my semi hollow body.

FR is highly regarded so it’s in your best interest to take it to a local shop/luthier to get him or her to take care of it for you. Maybe you’d  do the same if it was your car or computer or something, but guitars ain’t as simple as skateboards. It will be worth it big dog

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #364 on: February 19, 2023, 10:00:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

FR is highly regarded so it’s in your best interest to take it to a local shop/luthier to get him or her to take care of it for you. Maybe you’d  do the same if it was your car or computer or something, but guitars ain’t as simple as skateboards. It will be worth it big dog

Thanks for the advice and I know that's the sensible response. I'm so used to just being able to pick up and play, and do anything in-between if I needed to. I actually got a text from my brother tonight saying his buddy who knows FRs will set it up for me. I'm sure I'll love it once it's set up properly.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #365 on: March 02, 2023, 05:34:11 PM »
So as a kid I unwittingly tightened the shit of my dad’s acoustic’s tuning knobs, subsequently caving the neck into the body and ruining it.  I don’t remember what brand but I think it was a nice one.

I’ve always harboured guilt over this, and recently decided to give him a guitar to make mostly myself feel better.  So today I bought an FG800 for myself and will give him my beat up F-310 as a dust collector.

I know this is an entry level jawn but I got it for a steal and it sounds soooo nice compared to my other one.  Action’s a little high and needs new strings but I can see this one treating me well.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #366 on: March 02, 2023, 06:21:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

UPDATE: got the guitar set up!!! polished the whole guitar, oiled the fret board, put new d'addario strings on it (first time playing anything other than Ernie Ball super slinkies EVER!) I may never go back to Ernie Ball strings.

This is an improv 5 mins after the guitar was set up. I'm so impressed with how the guitar feels. FUCKING STOKED.

http://youtu.be/kXJu82wQ78I
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 06:31:00 PM by fineslime »

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #367 on: March 03, 2023, 07:44:30 AM »
Congrats @fineslime . Always worth splurging to get them setup, you would be cheating yourself otherwise. Plus, you get to support your local tech.  8)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #368 on: March 03, 2023, 08:01:41 AM »
Picked up an all-solid wood Alvarez Masterworks dreadnaught this weekend. This is my first full-size guitar ever - I've always had short scale guitars. It's huge, I don't know how people place this. I've already started my search for a 12-fret dread.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #369 on: March 03, 2023, 08:35:31 AM »
Congrats @fineslime . Always worth splurging to get them setup, you would be cheating yourself otherwise. Plus, you get to support your local tech.  8)

Thanks my internet cohort! My buddy actually set it up for me yesterday. Had a great day playing his crazy quiver of 7 string Schechter guitars and his PRS single cut Tremonti. That thing played like a dream. He wouldn't accept any money, so my brother and I brought chicken wings and salsa. By the end of the night we took a shot of that whiskey they make while blasting Metallica... Weird gimmick, but the whiskey was good.

I couldn't stop thanking him. The guitar feels amazing!

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #370 on: March 03, 2023, 07:07:15 PM »
Stoked for all of you guys’ recent scores, mods, and musical accomplishments.

I was successfully able to restring and lower the action on my new acoustic.  It was a piece of cake to remove the saddle, draw a 1/16” pencil line around it, sand it down and pop it back in.  Sounds and plays like a dream now <3

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #371 on: March 04, 2023, 04:46:37 AM »

I was successfully able to restring and lower the action on my new acoustic.  It was a piece of cake to remove the saddle, draw a 1/16” pencil line around it, sand it down and pop it back in.  Sounds and plays like a dream now <3

I was playing a little parlor guitar exclusively, and last weekend I bought myself a nice Alvarez solid Spruce and Rosewood dreadnaught. When I got home and restrung it, it played about one zillion times better than my parlor. I had noticed that action was high when I got the parlor a few months ago, but then I just played it until it seemed normal to me.

I just restrung it, so I'm not going to jump in until I've put some more wear and tear on the string, but something has to give with this thing because after playing on a beautifully adjusted guitar, this thing has become a paperweight. I'm going to need to shave down that saddle in order to get this thing to play like I want it to. I could of course take it to a pro but also it seems like a good time to learn more about my instrument, and with the dread sitting in the case, I can take this thing out of commission with my fuckups and not be stuck guitar-less.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #372 on: March 04, 2023, 05:53:25 AM »
Yeah I was a little hesitant at first, but when the guitar shop guy said they’d charge me $100 to do it, I decided to take it on.  The beauty of modifying the saddle is that, in most cases, you can get a new one for cheap if you mess up that bad.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #373 on: March 04, 2023, 07:44:29 AM »

this is one of the most supportive threads on slap bar none.

I wanted to let the pals know about Now You Shred. It's an amazing YouTube channel with the best backing tracks to play to. Not only do the jams sound great, but it cycles through different modes to play to and shows the chord diagrams and a bunch of other shit I don't quite understand fully haha. This channel alone has helped me progress so much and it's taken my improv game to a new level.

http://youtu.be/TKbNUqF_-X8

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 156
« Reply #374 on: March 04, 2023, 12:04:35 PM »
I was going to get a Magnatone Starlight when it was $1299 but they bumped it up to $1799 a couple months ago. That and sponsoring Ted Nugent made me not want anything Magnatone, even though they bumped it down to $1499. Since I needed an amp, I went with this, which was about half of what I was willing to spend, and am more satisfied with it than I thought. I’m cool with my guitar, and although I would like some more pedals, I’m content enough with the settings on the amp/guitar, I rarely get the pedalboard.

Vox AC15 in blue

I wish it had an attenuator, but I could get a a volume pedal if desired. 0  volume is at 7 o’clock but anything past 9 o’clock is too loud for where I live.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: March 04, 2023, 12:26:19 PM »
Yeah I was a little hesitant at first, but when the guitar shop guy said they’d charge me $100 to do it, I decided to take it on.  The beauty of modifying the saddle is that, in most cases, you can get a new one for cheap if you mess up that bad.

This is exactly where I’m at. I can buy a $12 Tusq bridge which will drop right in there if I fuck something up, but the shop near me isn’t even accepting new customers and if they did it cost 45% of the value of the guitar in order to get the action lowered by a mm or two.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: March 14, 2023, 05:08:22 AM »
What’s the easiest and cheapest way to get started with composing and recording my own music?  GarageBand app through my iPhone?  I just want to record myself playing guitar and singing, then layer in some pre-made drums, bass, synths etc.  Really not concerned about sound quality or anything yet, just want to make something that sounds like a semi-complete piece of music.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #377 on: March 14, 2023, 06:36:52 AM »
What’s the easiest and cheapest way to get started with composing and recording my own music?  GarageBand app through my iPhone?  I just want to record myself playing guitar and singing, then layer in some pre-made drums, bass, synths etc.  Really not concerned about sound quality or anything yet, just want to make something that sounds like a semi-complete piece of music.

yeah garage band, or even just audacity would do the job if you are just looking for something free. if you want to record the tracks directly into your phone or pc you might need an audio interface tho.

most daws around also have a demo or free version, but most of these don't offer live recording for these versions.

if you want to get a full daw with recording capabilities for free you could get cakewalk.

if you want to invest in a daw in the future that is renowned for good recording capabilities, maybe check cubase. that seems to be the favorite of all the musicians recording live stuff, at least that i know.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2023, 05:11:00 PM »
hadn't been playing at all over the past year due to getting a highly intelligent, driven, active puppy almost one year ago to this day. Gotta put that training and bonding time in, hard!

broke out the ibanez artcore hollow body a few weeks ago, plugged into the bugera v5 and it's a blast. i've gotta have this guitar set up because it goes out of tune just looking at it, but what a fun guitar that sounds good at low volume in a small tube amp.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2023, 07:33:42 PM »
I was going to get a Magnatone Starlight when it was $1299 but they bumped it up to $1799 a couple months ago. That and sponsoring Ted Nugent made me not want anything Magnatone, even though they bumped it down to $1499. Since I needed an amp, I went with this, which was about half of what I was willing to spend, and am more satisfied with it than I thought. I’m cool with my guitar, and although I would like some more pedals, I’m content enough with the settings on the amp/guitar, I rarely get the pedalboard.

Vox AC15 in blue

I wish it had an attenuator, but I could get a a volume pedal if desired. 0  volume is at 7 o’clock but anything past 9 o’clock is too loud for where I live.

That’s super sick! I’d love to have a Vox. I’ve read enough people saying that even the 15 is crazy loud so may an AC5?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #380 on: March 14, 2023, 09:09:06 PM »
hadn't been playing at all over the past year due to getting a highly intelligent, driven, active puppy almost one year ago to this day. Gotta put that training and bonding time in, hard!

broke out the ibanez artcore hollow body a few weeks ago, plugged into the bugera v5 and it's a blast. i've gotta have this guitar set up because it goes out of tune just looking at it, but what a fun guitar that sounds good at low volume in a small tube amp.

Dude! I used to own an Ibanez Artcore am93 Expressionist and it was my favorite guitar. If I have one regret in my life it's reading that thing for an Epiphone Les Paul. Ew.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #381 on: March 15, 2023, 06:09:54 AM »
I don’t have an electric but want to eventually get something, and I’ve been eyeing those hollow body Ibanez guitars. Pretty easy to score on Craigslist, it seems. I just have no interest in a solid body electric.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #382 on: March 15, 2023, 01:41:29 PM »
I don’t have an electric but want to eventually get something, and I’ve been eyeing those hollow body Ibanez guitars. Pretty easy to score on Craigslist, it seems. I just have no interest in a solid body electric.

I used to say stuff like that. Sold two Rickenbackers and (coincidentally) an AC15 because I “was only playing acoustic”. I was living in a small cabin at the time, so no doi. If I had a time machine I’d go back and kick my own ass.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #383 on: March 15, 2023, 02:48:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to say stuff like that. Sold two Rickenbackers and (coincidentally) an AC15 because I “was only playing acoustic”. I was living in a small cabin at the time, so no doi. If I had a time machine I’d go back and kick my own ass.

Well I did sell my solid body electric like a decade ago, when I was majorly broke. I miss it regularly and have considered paying $3000-5000 to reacquire it, but it's probably best to just let it be. I'm not anti-solid body guitar or anything, it just doesn't really fit with anything I like to play.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #384 on: March 15, 2023, 04:15:36 PM »
the ibanez semi hollows are pretty cool. i always have one on my wishlist at thomann to keep tabs on price and availability. but... for a mere hundred bucks more you'd be in the financial zone for a starcaster or guild starfire(budget edition).

also i watched and read a bunch of comparative reviews for semi-hollows for around 3-500, and gretsch seems to be universally loved. those guitars look almost like the top tier models, just have cheaper electronics that still do a good job.

personally i just fell in love with this starfire. it jus looks so cool. i love the scratchplate design:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/guild_starfire_i_dc_vintage_walnut.htm?reload=1

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #385 on: March 15, 2023, 04:26:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well I did sell my solid body electric like a decade ago, when I was majorly broke. I miss it regularly and have considered paying $3000-5000 to reacquire it, but it's probably best to just let it be. I'm not anti-solid body guitar or anything, it just doesn't really fit with anything I like to play.

I sold my Rickenbacker 610 and a Duesenberg Starplayer Special about a decade ago. I didn’t absolutely love either and didn’t lose money on either (sold each one for $650) but there’s no way I reacquire either one for less than $1500

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #386 on: March 15, 2023, 06:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude! I used to own an Ibanez Artcore am93 Expressionist and it was my favorite guitar. If I have one regret in my life it's reading that thing for an Epiphone Les Paul. Ew.

right on. ya i dig this guitar. other than going out of tune so easily, which is probably due to the vibrato that i never use, it's great.

as for trading guitars, my first nice guitar was a late 90s mexi strat. sunburst. i wanted to be more rock n roll or punk rock or something (wtf. right) and sold it for Mustang which I then sold for a Gibson SG. I hated both of those guitars and think about how sick that strat would be 25 years later. I ended up getting a pawn shop sunburst Mexi real cheap during the pandemic and the neck is really, really great but it's got that humbucker at the bridge which i don't dig the sound of. should probably swap it out one of these days but i have no idea how to to that.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #387 on: March 16, 2023, 10:57:29 AM »
My Epiphone Sheraton is my absolute favorite instrument. Semi hollows are so underrated

The only reason I don't play it live the feed back. I'm not using a hard gate ever.

I use an ns1 in front of my peddles to subtract pick up noise only. I need to have the full feedback potential always.

My other guitarist says I'm using it wrongly but if I put it behind my distortion I hate it.

My hope is I find a p90 guitar asap. I got a loan of 500-700 from my mom on hold for now because I cannot find what I like irl.

No way am I chancing ordering a guit fiddle over the web.

Anyone give that $170 limited edition Epiphone Special p90 a try?

I feel like maybe I should cop one of those then just swap out everything I don't like.
I'm worried that I'd basically be buying a $170 guitar body.
I'd probably wanna change everything.

I should have bought that epi  50s style tv yellow special I saw in Lynn but the guy got a $400 offer the day before I was ready.

My main guitar is sweet but it's heavy and I want p90s
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #388 on: March 24, 2023, 11:46:33 AM »
 the youtube fingerstyle guitarist is driving me crazy! I am searching for a nice solo arrangement of a piece of music I like. It seems like I've found a good video. Lots of views. Wow he's pretty good. Here comes the over-syncopation. wash of reverb. Thumping on his guitar between beats. STOP.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #389 on: March 24, 2023, 01:41:20 PM »
Does any one else play baritones? I love my baritone, and Ibanez RG60. Its everything I want for playing heavier styles of music. I don't need or want extra strings, so the thicker gauge strings + longer scale make it perfect. You can do lots of palm muting and fast picking on the lower strings and really dig in with your picking cause the strings are nice and taut.