Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19286 times)

Mongoloid

Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2020, 09:30:32 AM »
I really wish I could fix my vox ac15😓that’s an amazing tube amp and I recommend it, clearer sound than a blues jr IMO.
Maybe I’ll fix mine if they do another round of stimulus checks. In other news I’m looking for a strat and I’m excited about that. I’ve only been playing my Gibson sg for the past 4 years so a change of things is gonna be nice.

So I looked up a set of tubes, and it looks like you can get the whole set for around $70.

I haven’t had to replace mine yet, but it’s super simple. Just make sure you wear latex gloves when you do it, so as not to contaminate the tubes themselves with oils from your skin.

I’m considering picking up a set just to have at my jam space Incase of emergency.

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »
Re: AC 15

If it was the tubes you could probably be able to see a tube not glowing or looking different from its neighbors. I wouldn’t go out and buy a full set of tubes. Maybe just the power tubes?

If that didn’t do the trick I’d be worried you blew a capacitor somewhere.

Dracula

• Rep: -20
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2020, 05:23:10 AM »
Took a look at the back of the ac15 and 4 of the tubes don’t glow as bright as 1. Also forgot that it makes a loud horrible screeching noise no matter how low the master volume is. I’ll probably buy a set of tubes and see if that fixes it

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 07:17:13 AM »
The Vox also has fuses. You could have blown one of them too.

Hopefully the fuse blew because it was simply too hot, rather than something else melted or arced.

Be careful fishing around inside tube amps. The transformer can hold a charge for hours after it’s been unplugged.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:19:30 AM by Willie »

Dracula

• Rep: -20
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 10:45:29 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I think I’ll just say fuck it and take it to a tech so they can properly diagnose it and not ruin anything else while fixing it. In other news I got a new (to me) strat 8)

For you guys w strats that use the tremolo, how many springs do you have in?

Edit: I would also like advice on how to post a picture on here and have it work lol

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:52:49 PM by Dracula »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2020, 03:11:39 AM »
use a site like imgur to upload, then post forum bb link here

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2020, 03:21:37 AM »
You csn get old Japanese made strat copies for a good price. Look into stuff made at the Matsumoko factory. Various brands came out of there. For surf you most definitely need a REVERB pedal too.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2020, 04:54:04 AM »
thought this was a handy video to post here for people on the fence of buying a fender guitar but who are on some sort of budget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFvbRjG3b6M

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2020, 05:26:07 AM »
Out of the stuff I've tried I liked PRS the best, just felt right

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2020, 05:37:52 AM »
BUMP

Anyone else been playing guitar more now that they've been unable to do anything normal these days?

I just bought a wah pedal (why? because I was bored) and a big muff to play around with. I have a modelling amp (THR10ii) already so I have some effects I use there, but I also use a looper pedal to play around with layering so I wanted to be able to use effects on some layers and clean or different effects on others.

What can I do with a wah pedal? Why did I buy one?

I love buying guitar stuff to play around with even though I suck. I am saving up for a telecaster next, depending on what I can find used I'll probably buy a mexican player telecaster. There are a few american teles on reverb for a few hundred more so depending on when I decide to buy I could splurge one something like that.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2020, 07:17:24 AM »
I’ve been playing a shitload more guitar than before during lockdown. I’m actually thinking about getting a THR10ii or Vox Adio Air just so I can plug in more often. Although I really like the form factor on those, both of those are pretty expensive and maybe it makes more sense to get a Micro Cube or something more conventional.

I bought an Epiphone ES-339 PRO off Craigslist during the middle of the summer for $320 with OHSC and I’ve been very stoked on that. Been thinking about getting something with P90s next or possibly putting a P90 in my Strat bridge.

The only pedal I own is a Tube Screamer that’s been on loan to a friend for over a decade. I’m thinking I might like a Delay and Fuzz to start messing with shoegaze sounds. Would that get me going?

beatifk

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2020, 07:56:29 AM »
I’ve been playing a shitload more guitar than before during lockdown. I’m actually thinking about getting a THR10ii or Vox Adio Air just so I can plug in more often. Although I really like the form factor on those, both of those are pretty expensive and maybe it makes more sense to get a Micro Cube or something more conventional.

I bought an Epiphone ES-339 PRO off Craigslist during the middle of the summer for $320 with OHSC and I’ve been very stoked on that. Been thinking about getting something with P90s next or possibly putting a P90 in my Strat bridge.

The only pedal I own is a Tube Screamer that’s been on loan to a friend for over a decade. I’m thinking I might like a Delay and Fuzz to start messing with shoegaze sounds. Would that get me going?

The THR10ii is great. It's pricy but it's perfect for what I wanted. It's small, it looks decent in the living room, it can be played at a very low volume, it sounds good, and the effects are a fun touch especially with the app to fine-tune all of the settings. If I lived in a house or had more space I would love to have a small tube amp and turn it up, but because I'm living in an apartment, that's not possible. I got it over a small "real" amp simply because it sounds better on a low volume. The local shop didn't have any of the Katana range (which were recommended) so I couldn't try them, but the size and form factor of the THR is better for me anyway so I probably would've ended up with it regardless.

As for pedals, I have no idea what I'm doing with them honestly. My guitar teacher lent me some and it was fun to set them up in different orders and see what kind of sounds it would create, but the big muff and wah are the first pedals I've ever bought myself.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »
been playing less it feels like, since our band rehearsals are mostly called off and i dabbled in making beats and stuff instead.  playing a lot more recently though, also playing a lot of bass at my homies house.

i really want my own bass guitar. it's fun to switch it up and i feel like it really complements the learning process for both instruments. i've been gripping my chords on guitar a lot cleaner since i've started to play as much bass as i can.

i'd also like to get a new amp and some sort of reverb pedal. spring reverb would be cool, but i'm fine with a nice all-purpose reverb that is not too expensive new or used. recommendations welcome.

been thinking about getting one of those new small marshals as a new practice amp. the yamaha thr series looks also pretty good. not sure yet, haven't made up my mind about the budget either.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2020, 09:35:47 AM »
I just had a Taylor 210e adjusted and it plays like gold. I'm very, very happy to have a nice instrument for my weak ass attempts at returning to play.

Also picked up a 5w bugera tube off craigslist and am pretty happy with it. I do think I want to change the tubes though. I'm playing a Strat with a really hot humbucker at the bridge and am not really into the sound. Think I might try to trade it/sell it and get a single coil strat or tele.

It's really fun getting back into guitar.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »
I have the small yamaha thr (following @JB 's advice) and it is indeed great at low volume. Built-in tuner is a nice touch too.

Also I just replaced my squier with a mexican tele so I'm hyped it's all shiny and stuff
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 04:48:54 PM by NollieBackflip »

linus larabee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »
get a guitar and write some god dam riffs . if you have a guitar already, write some god dam riffs.
if you are about to buy a wah pedal, check yourself - write some riffs
if you are about to buy another guitar, but you're not that good on the first one - maybe hold up on that ! write some riffs!
riffs are everything
big love to all my chuggers

beatifk

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2020, 12:05:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Also I just replaced my squier with a mexican tele so I'm hyped it's all shiny and stuff
[close]

Congrats on your guitar Bar Mitzvah! Shalom.

Congrats, what model/color did you get?

As much as it's like a bullshit consumer mentality to buy gear, it sometimes makes you want to play more which leads to new skills and whatnot. It's a slippery slope though.

Sleezus Yikes

• Rep: 66
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2020, 07:43:26 AM »
You csn get old Japanese made strat copies for a good price. Look into stuff made at the Matsumoko factory. Various brands came out of there.

I agree 100%. My favorite guitar is from the Matsumoko factory. It's a Univox Hi-Flier Phase 4 and I love it to pieces.

I just recently found myself oogling different hollowbodys to replace my childhood Rickenbacker 360 (got it in lieu of a car). I would have liked nothing more to spring for another Ricky but couldn't justify spending that much on a guitar while I have no forseeable gigs in the future.

Anywho, I ended up pulling the trigger on a brand new Korean made Guild Starfire II (got it for dirt cheap, couldn't resist). I guess it was dead stock just sitting in a a big music supplier warehouse as it's a couple years old. Not a fan of the pots so I'm gonna re-do the wiring eventually, but it's amazing otherwise.

there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2020, 08:26:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

As much as it's like a bullshit consumer mentality to buy gear, it sometimes makes you want to play more which leads to new skills and whatnot. It's a slippery slope though.

cheers
I got the tele player series in butterscotch blonde, finish looks really good and controls feel more solid than on the squier. I absolutely didn't need to upgrade tho, 100% guilty pleasure but I don't do that often

Sleezus Yikes

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2020, 08:35:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

cheers
I got the tele player series in butterscotch blonde, finish looks really good and controls feel more solid than on the squier. I absolutely didn't need to upgrade tho, 100% guilty pleasure but I don't do that often

Those Player Series Telecasters are tremendous guitars and you can not beat that colorway.
Congratulations!
there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

beatifk

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2020, 08:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

cheers
[close]

Those Player Series Telecasters are tremendous guitars and you can not beat that colorway.
Congratulations!

I was between the butterscotch and the white, but I looked at the butterscotch at the shop and didn't love it like I thought I might so I'll go for the white when I finally pull the trigger. Regardless it was a nice guitar, and probably the nicest I'll ever need in my life. I tried the Squier Classic Vibe, the Fender Player, and the Vintera 50's on the same day and I liked the Player the best. Vintera felt a little better honestly but the color did nothing for me. They had the red one in the store at the time.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2020, 09:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote
You csn get old Japanese made strat copies for a good price. Look into stuff made at the Matsumoko factory. Various brands came out of there.
[close]

I agree 100%. My favorite guitar is from the Matsumoko factory. It's a Univox Hi-Flier Phase 4 and I love it to pieces.

I just recently found myself oogling different hollowbodys to replace my childhood Rickenbacker 360 (got it in lieu of a car). I would have liked nothing more to spring for another Ricky but couldn't justify spending that much on a guitar while I have no forseeable gigs in the future.

Anywho, I ended up pulling the trigger on a brand new Korean made Guild Starfire II (got it for dirt cheap, couldn't resist). I guess it was dead stock just sitting in a a big music supplier warehouse as it's a couple years old. Not a fan of the pots so I'm gonna re-do the wiring eventually, but it's amazing otherwise.

That Univox looks awesome. I was looking at Mosrite style guitars before I stumbled upon my ES-339. I love the look and had found a good deal on a Danelectro. Maybe some other time. I’m a big fan of Japanese guitars - both my Fenders are MIJ.

Speaking of pots, the electronics on my 339 aren’t great but I looked into what it’s like working on a semi hollow and it seems like a real pain in the ass.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »
I have a MIJ Mustang that had bad the worst wiring job brand new. Otherwise it's a great guitar. Re-soldiered the wiring myself with zero knowledge 15 years ago, and it's still perfect. Recently bought a 70's small body MIJ Yamaha FL75 that is easily my favorite guitar to play now.

Sleezus Yikes

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That Univox looks awesome. I was looking at Mosrite style guitars before I stumbled upon my ES-339. I love the look and had found a good deal on a Danelectro. Maybe some other time. I’m a big fan of Japanese guitars - both my Fenders are MIJ.

Speaking of pots, the electronics on my 339 aren’t great but I looked into what it’s like working on a semi hollow and it seems like a real pain in the ass.

Thanks, Willie. I'd recommend looking into them as the first two phases have a dogear P90 style pickup instead of the high gain 'buckers.
There's also the Japanese manufactured Mosrites such as the Ranger and Avenger. I believe they started out as copies but acquired actual licensing from Semie Moseley. Kinda hard to find if you are in the Western hemisphere though.

& Are you referring to the Danelectro 64? The dual lipstick  bridge configuration looks interesting ( @masturskater mentioned those pickups earlier in this thread). Would love to try one.

What MIJ Fenders do you have?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2020, 03:08:36 PM »
I have a MIJ Mustang that had bad the worst wiring job brand new. Otherwise it's a great guitar. Re-soldiered the wiring myself with zero knowledge 15 years ago, and it's still perfect. Recently bought a 70's small body MIJ Yamaha FL75 that is easily my favorite guitar to play now.

I was accused of fucking around with the wiring when  I took my never opened MIJ in for a switching issue. The original work must have been awful - great carpentry though!

Thanks, Willie. I'd recommend looking into them as the first two phases have a dogear P90 style pickup instead of the high gain 'buckers.
There's also the Japanese manufactured Mosrites such as the Ranger and Avenger. I believe they started out as copies but acquired actual licensing from Semie Moseley. Kinda hard to find if you are in the Western hemisphere though.

& Are you referring to the Danelectro 64? The dual lipstick  bridge configuration looks interesting ( @masturskater mentioned those pickups earlier in this thread). Would love to try one.

What MIJ Fenders do you have?

I was looking at the Danelectro 64 and 66. There were a few 66s on Reverb and EBay for under $500 but I was worried I might not like the short scale/flat fretboard. At that point I hadn’t owned anything that wasn’t 25.5” scale gor 10+ years (when I briefly owned a Rickenbacker).

I really wanted something with a bridge humbucker and was about to pounce on an MIJ Pawn Shop 72 (which I knew I’d love) when the Craigslist seller responded for the 339 at half the price. I figured if I didn’t like the 339 I could flip it but I enjoy it and can overlook some of the shortcomings just because I didn’t pay an arm and a leg.

My only other electrics right now are an MIJ Squier Strat with System 1 (fake Floyd Rose that I don’t use) trem and a 62’ Telecaster. Both are pretty damn great. Outstanding necks and very resonant.

The Squier was built by Fujigen and the electronics kinda sucked but I replaced the pickups with 57/62s and now it’s very “Strat-y”. It actually “quacks” a little too much for me now in the intermediate positions but it’s a nice playing guitar. These E-Series still go for under $500 and are totally worth it.

The Tele is a TL-62US that my now wife bought for me when we were dating. I think she was checking my browsing history because she got the exact model and color I had been eyeing for months. Best gift ever. She ordered it from Japan before that avenue got blown up. The prices on some of those have gone insane.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 04:23:54 PM by Willie »

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2020, 04:31:12 PM »
That univox is sick and Willie bet those squiers are sick.

Fuck yea, I also am a big Japanese guitar fan.

Had a 2001 or 2002 Japanese Mustang bass, also an American '78 musicmaster bass.

This is what I'm currently working with. I've since sold the japanese mustang and musicmaster. About 2-3 years ago got this Mexican PJ mustang bass. The first year they came out, so the last ones with a rosewood fretboard. It's very nice and you can dial in more tones. 

The lockdown is too blame for all the guitars. So stoked to have a nice variety. An Indonesian and couple Chinese made squiers and they are fucking great. Awesome workmanship.

beatifk

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2020, 07:45:41 AM »
That univox is sick and Willie bet those squiers are sick.

Fuck yea, I also am a big Japanese guitar fan.

Had a 2001 or 2002 Japanese Mustang bass, also an American '78 musicmaster bass.

This is what I'm currently working with. I've since sold the japanese mustang and musicmaster. About 2-3 years ago got this Mexican PJ mustang bass. The first year they came out, so the last ones with a rosewood fretboard. It's very nice and you can dial in more tones. 

The lockdown is too blame for all the guitars. So stoked to have a nice variety. An Indonesian and couple Chinese made squiers and they are fucking great. Awesome workmanship.

is that the Paranormal Super Sonic? How do you like it? I've heard the whole paranormal range is pretty good.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
awesome collection @os89!

super jelly.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2020, 08:25:15 AM »
Alright, so amp is equally important to guitar in terms of tone, imo, but having a guitar that plays well should be a priority for a beginner.

For amps, you really just need a nice clean tone and a good reverb for the surf sound. Fender tube amps are the gold standard for surf rock, but they are on the expensive side. I would start with a simple solid state amp with a good clean tone. The vox pathfinder is a good choice. The entry-level fender solid states are ok too. Some people may disagree but the old peavey (made in USA) solid state amps are fantastic, though you'd need a reverb pedal.

Forget about compromising acoustic/electric... you'll get the worst of both worlds. IMO you should go for a used strat, and a a low cost acoustic. You can still find quality acoustics for short money. A red-label Yamaha FG-110 would be a good bet. 

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »
awesome collection @os89!

super jelly.

Thanks man! I've been playing way more lately. Starting a new project with my friend hopefully sometime soon, even if it's remote. Pretty stoked

is that the Paranormal Super Sonic? How do you like it? I've heard the whole paranormal range is pretty good.

Yea it is, it's very nice. I love how small it feels. Sounds great and plays very well. My friend got one as well but it had wiring problems from the start. Other than that his is good too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:39:47 AM by os89 »