Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19294 times)

Mantracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2022, 05:23:09 PM »
I am looking into buying a new acoustic guitar. I consider myself a decent player, and want something with a good sound for playing around the house and recording on GarageBand. I currently just have a couple crappy ones and want something new that sounds good and is fun to play.

I am intrigued by the baby Taylor’s and the Fender Malibu, but I don’t know anything about small bodies. 

I am probably willing to drop about a grand and am just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

I just need to hit up a couple shops and start playing around, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you're looking for a smaller body parlor type guitar than I recommend this one:

https://artandlutherieguitars.com/product/roadhouse-bourbon-burst

It was one of those guitars that I picked up in the store to play and couldn't leave without buying it. I've got lots of compliments on it and the sound is great. It's smaller scale so super easy to play and bring around the house.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2022, 11:35:26 AM »
I been thinking about making my own pickups. I know how to do it. I seen it done.

I’m not sure what I need tho?  I wanna hand wind them them and sell them for less.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2022, 02:26:22 PM »
I been thinking about making my own pickups. I know how to do it. I seen it done.

I’m not sure what I need tho?  I wanna hand wind them them and sell them for less.

you can get the bare pickups without wire and then all you need to do is get wire and wind them up. i've seen people build contraptions to wind them up proper. this for example is from a german site, but i reckon you can get something like that from sweetwater or any good guitar shop:

https://www.thomann.de/de/goeldo_puk90_pickup_winding_kit.htm

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2022, 03:24:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you can get the bare pickups without wire and then all you need to do is get wire and wind them up. i've seen people build contraptions to wind them up proper. this for example is from a german site, but i reckon you can get something like that from sweetwater or any good guitar shop:

https://www.thomann.de/de/goeldo_puk90_pickup_winding_kit.htm

Sick. I wish I had an electric winder with a counter.

I’m going to give it a shot. I already got ceramic mags
(A)pl(E)

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2022, 10:47:17 AM »

Behold my doom tower of power and destruction.  Fender 350 combo rumble with two 10” speakers stacked with peavey PA in to Berhinger 15” cabinet.  Alongside Big muff and berhinger metal pedal.

My SG is named Nadene and the Thunderbird is Linda.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:03:45 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2022, 09:28:47 AM »
Got my hands on a jhs 3 fuzz. It’s pretty sick for a modern silicone fuzz face. The bias is very cool.

It must be heavily eqed because I’m not playing blues.
(A)pl(E)

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2022, 10:02:13 PM »
bit of a noob question here. trying to figure out the logistics of playing live.

how can i keep my volume consistent, while changing the distortion level in my pedal? i want to intro a song with distortion then have it fade into a clean tone, while maintaining level.

i need like a volume pedal, but for the distortion knob on my rat

riff>ring out while distortion goes down(i need to do this with my feet)>clean tone

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2022, 02:08:42 PM »

Behold my doom tower of power and destruction.  Fender 350 combo rumble with two 10” speakers stacked with peavey PA in to Berhinger 15” cabinet.  Alongside Big muff and berhinger metal pedal.

My SG is named Nadene and the Thunderbird is Linda.

What year is the SG? I was never really a fan or appreciated these guitars until I watched this:

http://youtu.be/wDwYAKtMig8

I still haven't had a chance to play one though.

Excellent channel for guitar enthusiasts, nerds, and gear heads btw. About 3 months ago I found out my mom's mom's maternal family were Gibson's. Gibson was originally based in Kalamazoo where my mom was born and her grandparents lived. After hearing this, for the first time I want to trace my lineage to see if there's any relation. The odds sound pretty good, right??

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2022, 03:54:12 AM »
bit of a noob question here. trying to figure out the logistics of playing live.

how can i keep my volume consistent, while changing the distortion level in my pedal? i want to intro a song with distortion then have it fade into a clean tone, while maintaining level.

i need like a volume pedal, but for the distortion knob on my rat

riff>ring out while distortion goes down(i need to do this with my feet)>clean tone

Short answer, not easy. You wanna gradually fade the distortion into a clean tone, right? With digital modeller stuff it'd be simple programming, but with a couple pedals into a normal amp...little more difficult. You could have the Rat modded so that the distortion knob is controlled via an external expression (foot) pedal. Not super hard to do, but not guaranteed great results (the value of the Rat's distortion knob is pretty mis-matched compared to most expression pedals).

There's a pedal that already does this by design, but they stopped making it a few years ago, you could keep an eye out for a used one, but it's functionally exactly what you're looking for. There's a video in there of the usual boring wankery, but you'll get the idea.
https://reverb.com/ca/item/56427450-ernie-ball-expression-overdrive-pedal?bk=

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2022, 03:10:41 PM »
anyone here use any of obne’s pedals?

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2022, 04:27:22 PM »

An Oklahomie gifted me a Dark Star reverb and a Black Fountain delay when I came through their area a couple years ago. They’re both stellar builds and loads of fun in their own right but they didn’t kick off the EQD Ghost Echo and Afterneath combination that was on my board at the time. They sat on the studio shelf for awhile, were used on a few synth things and then eventually sold..
I’d like to try an Alpha Haunt fuzz sometime.

DERBY

« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2022, 10:44:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

An Oklahomie gifted me a Dark Star reverb and a Black Fountain delay when I came through their area a couple years ago. They’re both stellar builds and loads of fun in their own right but they didn’t kick off the EQD Ghost Echo and Afterneath combination that was on my board at the time. They sat on the studio shelf for awhile, were used on a few synth things and then eventually sold..
I’d like to try an Alpha Haunt fuzz sometime.

thanks for sharing homie. i actually copped the alpha haunt. shits got hella tones to work with but can get hectic and confusing sometimes

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2022, 02:55:38 PM »

hey girl emojis

Better photo
(A)pl(E)

HarryScallywag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2022, 05:21:15 PM »

60s tele seafoam green

DERBY

« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2022, 05:37:59 AM »
beautiful

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: July 28, 2022, 07:27:33 AM »

Added these to my rig the tiny terror is being used as a preamp and my pedals are rad, I like a pallbearer or Conan type of fuzz with some spaciness hence the phaser pedal on the left.
Dueces Bitch's

HarryScallywag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #226 on: July 28, 2022, 08:54:07 PM »
beautiful

Thanks shes my number one and only one right now

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2022, 10:20:08 PM »
My main:

Nothing special for the amp. Just a Hartke 210 combo. Sold off my Ampeg 15 and Sovtek basic blues boy. Still regretting that.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2022, 07:03:45 AM »
My main:

Nothing special for the amp. Just a Hartke 210 combo. Sold off my Ampeg 15 and Sovtek basic blues boy. Still regretting that.
Oooh madone losing that sovtek must’ve been a huge regret. However that’s a beaut for a rich I’m quite jealous lol.

I’ve had just about the same amount of bass guitars as boards and do to unforeseen circumstances I had to. Get rid of them or give them away which has left me feeling pretty disappointed with myself yet I’ve gotten quite the collection back and I’m sure you’ll eventually get back something else cooler than that sovtek.
Dueces Bitch's

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2022, 06:33:18 AM »
i love ricks, so cool.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2022, 05:40:52 PM »
I’m fairly new to guitar (less than a year). I have a kind of dumb question. Has anyone played around with pickups and did you have any difficulty with mixing pickups with different tones? I have a Nashville telecaster and I wanted to put in fender custom shop 51 nocasters and for the third pickup I was going to put in a Seymour Duncan bg1400.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #231 on: August 03, 2022, 05:11:14 AM »
Yes, you can certainly mix pickups but if you’re mixing pickups with wildly different outputs they a) might not sound great when used at the same time or b) might need different amp settings to make each one sound optimal when used separately.

That BG1400 sounds like it’s very high output although it can be wired to switch to a single coil when needed so it might play nicely with the Nocaster pickups on that setting. (You’ll need a push/pull volume pot or something to do that switching)

I’m still not sure exactly which pickup you are trying to put in which position. Nocaster neck and BG1400 bridge? If you’re also trying to replace the middle then you need a Strat pickup (Tele pickups have different attachment points).

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #232 on: August 03, 2022, 07:35:34 AM »
Yes, you can certainly mix pickups but if you’re mixing pickups with wildly different outputs they a) might not sound great when used at the same time or b) might need different amp settings to make each one sound optimal when used separately.

That BG1400 sounds like it’s very high output although it can be wired to switch to a single coil when needed so it might play nicely with the Nocaster pickups on that setting. (You’ll need a push/pull volume pot or something to do that switching)

I’m still not sure exactly which pickup you are trying to put in which position. Nocaster neck and BG1400 bridge? If you’re also trying to replace the middle then you need a Strat pickup (Tele pickups have different attachment points).

That’s what I wanted to do yes. Thanks for all the information I appreciate the help! I’m going to take it to this tech in my city, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t being stupid first.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2022, 03:41:43 PM »
Going through old things at my gf’s place and came across this “Barcley Custom” acoustic.  She thought it was broken but I tuned it and it seems okay?  Has a pretty interesting “empty church hall” kinda sound to it.  Anyone know anything about this brand?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2022, 04:48:17 PM »
beautiful piece
(A)pl(E)

WaringsChoville

• Rep: -1
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2022, 09:44:10 AM »
Hey there! The Fender Squire is a great option if you're looking for an electric guitar that can give you that classic surf sound. Plus, it doesn't have a whammy bar, so you won't have to worry about any unwanted sounds coming from that. The Yamaha acoustic guitar is also a great choice if you're looking for an acoustic guitar with a nice, mellow sound.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2022, 09:54:05 AM »
My main:

Gorgeous. I've always loved Rick basses, the sound and feel don't quite fit for my particular style tho.
I run a seafoam green Fender PJ bass through a gauntlet of pedals into a Sunn 1200s and Hartke 8x10 cab.
Also have an Orange 1x15 cab that I bought because it was a really good price and I love the way it looks, but 1x15 config doesn't work well for me.

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2022, 03:03:06 AM »
Anybody string up with 11s? I was using Super Slinky 8s for years until I figured I needed fatter trebles. It seems a bit contentious in certain circles, but I did find that the fatter strings held the pitch better through/after bends. The tone was a lot more satisfying as well. Sort of more work and less work at the same time as they're harder to bend but there's less retuning. Of course if you go back to 8s or 9s you're going to accidentally do a 4-step bend.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2022, 06:59:06 AM »
I’ve never gone higher than .10s.

What are you putting them on? I suppose it makes a difference with scale length, trem/no trem, and bridge type.

I’ve always had .10s on everything except my Tele, which came with .09s and I’ve been too cheap to pay to have the nut re-cut for bigger strings. I guess I’m also scared about losing easy bends on a 25.5” scale hardtail.

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2022, 11:05:39 AM »
I’ve never gone higher than .10s.

What are you putting them on? I suppose it makes a difference with scale length, trem/no trem, and bridge type.

I’ve always had .10s on everything except my Tele, which came with .09s and I’ve been too cheap to pay to have the nut re-cut for bigger strings. I guess I’m also scared about losing easy bends on a 25.5” scale hardtail.
Used them on a strat-style 25.5, tremolo bridge. Didn't need to do anything to the nut. I would buy two sets and use the trebles from the 11s and the bass from either whatever was already on there or a set of 9s. Once the setup was done it wasn't any kind of a problem.

I actually played around with using a 13 b string for my e but that was a bit over the top. Not really playable. But most people didn't think my regular setup was playable anyway. It doesn't take all that long to get used to bending them, and if you move down in gauge those bends are now super easy. Too easy.