Author Topic: Coolest Shops  (Read 7235 times)

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Re: Coolest Shops
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2021, 10:32:00 PM »
Central Florida/Orlando, FL - Plus Skateshop. Ignore everywhere else in Orlando, really.

Daytona Beach, FL - Energy

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2021, 07:51:40 AM »
Holistic Skateshop: Reading PA
Ignition Skateshop: Lancaster PA

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
FA Skates
6 W Busse Ave
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056
I'm fiercely loyal to Uprise, but I've recently order a few things from FA that Uprise doesn't carry. I can confirm, they are awesome! Zero cool-guy vibes, free product box, etc. I even called for a board that wasn't on the site and they tracked it down from a rep and got it shipped to me.

I moved out of Milwaukee 6 years ago, but Sky High is awesome.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2021, 10:03:01 AM »
Orchard was my favorite so far. I went in got a orchard sling bag and hat told the dude I was from Midwest  and wanted pop in before leaving. And the guy working was super welcoming and chill. Gave me some zines Stickers and an orchard patch he said I can sew on whatever hat or beanie. Set the bar for welcoming and cool skate shops. If my local don’t have stuff I always check orchards site just incase they got it.

Diocletian

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2021, 10:55:11 AM »
Expand Quote
FA Skates
6 W Busse Ave
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056
[close]
I'm fiercely loyal to Uprise, but I've recently order a few things from FA that Uprise doesn't carry. I can confirm, they are awesome! Zero cool-guy vibes, free product box, etc. I even called for a board that wasn't on the site and they tracked it down from a rep and got it shipped to me.

I moved out of Milwaukee 6 years ago, but Sky High is awesome.

Jon at FA is such a good dude, he has done a lot for me over the years and I've given him a ton of my money.

Uprise is alright, I've been in there a bunch of times and there's a couple nice guys but the rest have too-cool type attitudes and overall the shop has a stuck-up boutique vibe than an actual core shop.

Phase II in Milwaukee is also an amazing shop and the owner Mark is a really great guy. Never been to Sky High but that "Wi skate" crew rep it hard and shred even harder.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
Ah, I thought Phase II was out of business, but that's only the Eastside shop. It looks like they're still open in Tosa. They were my go-to for nearly a decade when I lived on the Eastside/Riverwest.

Jamie Thomas was the only person to ever cool-guy me at Uprise. They do have more of a boutique vibe, but they've always gone out of their way to help me get stuff. I first ordered some AWS boards from them in 2010 and they were worried about scuffs, so shipped me a box straight from DNA. I have a ton of stories of them looking out for me.

I'm a more recent FA customer, but they've been really helpful, friendly, and patient with my dumb requests.

I know absolutely nothing about Prosper. Yeah went under about 1-2 years ago. I think those are the only Chicago shops.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2021, 12:27:56 PM »
I got my first skateboard at FA in 2007. Back when they were in the first spot that was huge in the back. Ever since then FA will always hold that special place of being the best skate shop in my mind. I like Uprise. I think it represents the city really well. I just never feel at home there.
Proverbs 27:17

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2021, 02:13:25 PM »
OK, just a quick follow up. I contacted FA last week about getting something I didn't think was even possible to obtain anymore. They got it for me at 30% less than I originally saw it for. So yeah, those guys rule.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2021, 03:28:32 PM »
Anyone who thinks anyone at Uprise puts out a cool guy vibe must have social anxiety or something. They’re literally probably one of the most down to earth shops and helpful staff there is.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2021, 07:32:20 PM »
Anyone who thinks anyone at Uprise puts out a cool guy vibe must have social anxiety or something. They’re literally probably one of the most down to earth shops and helpful staff there is.
Haha, yeah everyone there as been hella cool to me. It’s hard to remember the days of hanging out at the shop, though. A few months back I watched someone get chewed out while asking for ID on a curbside pickup. He was totally chill even while getting shouted at. Even I wanted to clock that dude.

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2021, 10:23:40 PM »
local is slappys garage, only been to linda vista location and everyone there is chill and theres zero cool guy vibes.  mom wanted to come with one time and she left with a postive image in her mind

fa skates def the hookup they got really good deals, ship with tracking etc.  def my second fav

cowtown pretty dope too.  i fw how they dont sell fa and hockey online

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2021, 10:29:51 PM »
local is slappys garage, only been to linda vista location and everyone there is chill and theres zero cool guy vibes.  mom wanted to come with one time and she left with a postive image in her mind

fa skates def the hookup they got really good deals, ship with tracking etc.  def my second fav

When I lived in SD the guys at the slappy’s downtown “cool guyed” my friends and myself. I love route 44 and the small shop feel. Although when I was last in town their selection looked pretty sparse.

Also I’m in AZ now, so cowtown is my local. I don’t think you could ask for a better shop. They do so much for the community and everyone that works there is super helpful and friendly. And they do sell FA/hockey online? Maybe it changed recently though

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2021, 12:43:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When I lived in SD the guys at the slappy’s downtown “cool guyed” my friends and myself. I love route 44 and the small shop feel. Although when I was last in town their selection looked pretty sparse.

I used to go to this shop, I wasn’t a regular but would hop in once in awhile.  Last time I went in, I checked out a board and asked for the specs.  They were not what I wanted.  I said “Thank you” and handed the board back to the kid behind the counter.  The owner, Carney, mumbled, “You won’t be buying it from me”.  Feeling awkward I walked out and he asked me “What happened?”, and I said it wasn’t my size.  He shook his head in disappointment and didn’t say a thing staring at me.
The owner is a kook and I refuse to put money in his pocket after this interaction.
He was right though, I didn’t buy from him.  I went to the mall shop and got the board I wanted with no attitude.
Zumiez is more welcoming than that place.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:50:27 AM by Not A Damn Chance »

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2021, 02:39:58 AM »
I went to Kingswell for this first time last week. It was a cool shop, the guy working there seemed chill and their shop designs are really cool

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2021, 10:14:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I used to go to this shop, I wasn’t a regular but would hop in once in awhile.  Last time I went in, I checked out a board and asked for the specs.  They were not what I wanted.  I said “Thank you” and handed the board back to the kid behind the counter.  The owner, Carney, mumbled, “You won’t be buying it from me”.  Feeling awkward I walked out and he asked me “What happened?”, and I said it wasn’t my size.  He shook his head in disappointment and didn’t say a thing staring at me.
The owner is a kook and I refuse to put money in his pocket after this interaction.
He was right though, I didn’t buy from him.  I went to the mall shop and got the board I wanted with no attitude.

yikes.  might start going to pacific drive instead

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2021, 12:48:02 PM »
Atlas in San Mateo is cool, don't go when they're doing a shoe release though, you'll be in line for a while. Mission skateshop on 24th st in SF is also cool, they sell all sorts of graffiti shit too if you're into that sort of thing. Blast Off in Salem, OR is pretty limited in terms of product selection but they're the only shop in that town that's managed to stay open for a while, probably because it doubles as a thrift shop. The owner is cool, he's been skating since the 80s, he's got photos up on the wall that he took of Hosoi skating Upland back in his ripped t shirt and spandex days.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2021, 06:55:12 PM »
Black Sheep in CHarlotte NC is my local always been good to me.
Bluetile in Columbia SC
Humidity in New Orleans.

Haven’t been to many others tbh, need to make more of a point to stop in when I visit new cities buy a shirt or something.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2021, 05:34:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

yikes.  might start going to pacific drive instead

yea i’ve gotten some weird vibes from the owner at slappys too, always an awkward interaction, the other workers there though are cool

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2021, 06:49:20 AM »
35th Ave. Federal Way WA. Great shop and good vibes.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2021, 11:00:03 AM »
Central Florida/Orlando, FL - Plus Skateshop. Ignore everywhere else in Orlando, really.

Daytona Beach, FL - Energy

PLUS SKATESHOP!!!! Basically if you are in FL and you arent shopping at Plus, you are slacking lol. The original Plus Skateshop is in Fort Walton Beach FL (panhandle area which has been going for a good 30+ years. Plus Orlando is the 2nd location that opened up about 3 or so years ago ran by Kieth who grew up shopping at the Original Plus. Both are skater ran and anyone behind the counter skates. Kieth at the Orlando location is a shredder on the board.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2021, 08:09:11 PM »
Missed this thread y’all fuck with preduce or what
Friendly lot and they helped out with spots
listen to cosmic psychos

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2021, 10:06:20 PM »
If you make your way to beautiful San Diego

North County San Diego

House of Vista in Vista
Asylum in Oceanside
McGills in Encinitas

South County San Diego

Slappy's Garage
Route 44
Sk8Supply is the best kept secret in South County

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2021, 04:35:13 AM »
Infinity in St. Louis
Uprise in Chicago

witty pseudonym

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2021, 05:31:17 AM »
Love this thread.  Just a casual reminder for people without a good local spot that many of the shops above have online stores that you can order from and support skater-owned local businesses. 

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2021, 05:37:08 AM »
Crushed in DC
Venue in Richmond
Vu in Baltimore

Bobby Worrest mentioned bringing Pitcrew back from the dead on instagram a little while ago, that'd be tight
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2021, 07:51:13 AM »
MN, WI, IL list

Familia
Alumni
Phase 2
Uprise

ballintoohard

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2021, 06:03:27 PM »
35th North in Seattle, Atlas in San Mateo

briancoco

• Rep: 4
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2021, 08:45:03 PM »
Go to No Comply then skate House Park 8)

Meekin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2021, 02:08:36 PM »
Black Sheep in CHarlotte NC is my local always been good to me.
Bluetile in Columbia SC
Humidity in New Orleans.

Haven’t been to many others tbh, need to make more of a point to stop in when I visit new cities buy a shirt or something.
Black Sheep is great.

Ill throw in Continuum in Charleston SC
There was an interview with TK, when he was a plumber. He got asked if he gets recognized on the job and his response was "No. Plumbin in disguise." Everyone on SLAP thought he said "put him in the sky"

iknowisuck

• Rep: 2
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2021, 11:38:41 PM »
Terrace in Fullerton, and Furnace in Cypress are nice.
Jokes on clothing < cutting off your foreskin with a chainsaw