Author Topic: Anyone else have a wack local skateshop?  (Read 19723 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Anyone else have a wack local skateshop?
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2020, 09:19:52 AM »
Just to recap, some of the reasons y’all think your local shops are wack include:
  • they’re bummed your homie sold $1,650 worth of product from the trunk of his car, as is his right;
  • they won’t give out discounts that you’re clearly entitled to;
  • they don’t have enough space for people to hang out, so you have to sit outside with everyone else instead of taking up room where employees are trying to work;
  • they don’t want to grip your board because you’re a 30+ year old man and you should absolutely know how to grip your own board at this point;
  • they don’t want to be your best friend.
Sounds great. Keep the complaints coming.

NBD4ABD

« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2020, 09:20:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Yea I hear you dude, The skate culture today just sucks period. The people running it are just children that never grew up very cool guy like. Most shops I have bein too in my area either cater to what THEY think is relevant and sells or what THEY want to sell or what THEY like. We used to have a shop run by this old head it was a snowboard shop he was cool and took all our feedback for years we had a good group of dudes with very humbled egos that would even hook you up if you were getting into it. But the skate scene after Zumiez came in to my town crumbled at the same time. So they just went back too selling snowboards.
[close]

Which means they are definitely closed now.
No they sell snowboards, snow gear and apparel.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2020, 09:28:36 AM »
i wonder if i have all of krile’s accounts ignored yet
🤙

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
Shred Shed in Lake Worth, FL the owner is a sneaker head kook started in retaliation to his old employer a surf shop.  What he does is get samples from reps and free shit they give away with buying a bulk order and sells it for premium prices something that may be last years season or something that is discounted in another shop he'll sell for waaay too much. Lets not even get started on how he'll breakup a set of wheels and sell the stickers for $3. He lost a lot of respect with any locals here by being a kook and cheapskate.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2020, 10:54:53 AM »
Detroit City Skateboards is the worst, by far.

Haha second post in. This shit is down the street from my apartment and my homies clown me for just living near it.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
Shred Shed in Lake Worth, FL the owner is a sneaker head kook started in retaliation to his old employer a surf shop.  What he does is get samples from reps and free shit they give away with buying a bulk order and sells it for premium prices something that may be last years season or something that is discounted in another shop he'll sell for waaay too much. Lets not even get started on how he'll breakup a set of wheels and sell the stickers for $3. He lost a lot of respect with any locals here by being a kook and cheapskate.

And to think businesses started in retaliation to a former employer are normally well thought out endeavours taken on by reasonable people.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And to think businesses started in retaliation to a former employer are normally well thought out endeavors taken on by reasonable people.
Well long story short the owner has had a lot of shifty employees which that's about as much sympathy I'll give him.  For instance the whole Grind for Life guy with the eye patch talked shit on him and so the owner of SS told all his riders if they skated at the YMCA which was the place that guy setup shop as a popup shop in the Y he said he'd boot anyone from the team?! Really petty shit he'd do, plus who wants to ride for a kook shop where he won't break off a shop blank or a discount on a pro deck when you are repping for that shop?

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And to think businesses started in retaliation to a former employer are normally well thought out endeavors taken on by reasonable people.
[close]
Well long story short the owner has had a lot of shifty employees which that's about as much sympathy I'll give him.  For instance the whole Grind for Life guy with the eye patch talked shit on him and so the owner of SS told all his riders if they skated at the YMCA which was the place that guy setup shop as a popup shop in the Y he said he'd boot anyone from the team?! Really petty shit he'd do, plus who wants to ride for a kook shop where he won't break off a shop blank or a discount on a pro deck when you are repping for that shop?

This was difficult to follow, but it's got it all; eye patches, the YMCA, shifty employees. Anyway, hope you do have a decent shop nearby you can feel good about supporting.

NBD4ABD

« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2020, 11:29:07 AM »
But what fuck is this? The videos are trash.

EastKremer

• Rep: -63
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Just to recap, some of the reasons y’all think your local shops are wack include:
  • they’re bummed your homie sold $1,650 worth of product from the trunk of his car, as is his right;
  • they won’t give out discounts that you’re clearly entitled to;
  • they don’t have enough space for people to hang out, so you have to sit outside with everyone else instead of taking up room where employees are trying to work;
  • they don’t want to grip your board because you’re a 30+ year old man and you should absolutely know how to grip your own board at this point;
  • they don’t want to be your best friend.
Sounds great. Keep the complaints coming.
[close]
And I thought the nearest Sk8shop I have it’s wack because it is half skate shop and half random sports gear

NBD4ABD

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2020, 11:38:28 AM »
You have too admit tho it takes a special kind of person to actually invest in and run a skate shop efficiently.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2020, 11:54:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

This was difficult to follow, but it's got it all; eye patches, the YMCA, shifty employees. Anyway, hope you do have a decent shop nearby you can feel good about supporting.
Sorry it was hard to follow as this cocksucker gets me so raging angry that it brings the worst out of my thoughts to typing. 

All I'm saying is if you are going to be apart of the skate scene and make an influence give back and invest in the locals that'd buy your shit.  Don't try to rip them off with last years decks and products especially selling warped wood nothing worse then that shit. 

Yes I do have local shop that I frequent, Post Modern is rad the owners of MIA and few other heavies in the Florida skate scene that know their stuff started it. yeah the decks are $3 more butttttttt I'd rather shop at that place then Shred Shed.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »
Used to have local that was more a graffiti shop. They were also backed by a fucking local energy drink company. It was cool to get cheap boards as a teen from them, but holy fuck looking back at their whole image makes me throw up.

Oh yea and i think later shop turned into just clothing and changed name and owner. They really washed their hands from skating when that happened. Then the new owner was running like a drug operation there and got busted with like 5000 ecstasy and xanax pills stashed on ceiling. Oh yeah and fuckloads of weapons also.

Now my local is "mall shop" but they are really cool.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »

Different shop than the one DDM is talking about. This is Shredz Shop in Alberta.

NBD4ABD

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2020, 12:31:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Different shop than the one DDM is talking about. This is Shredz Shop in Alberta.
Ohh true.. Still tho what the fuck is wrong with Shredz Shop the videos are super wack.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »
Here's another gem from SS that I heard about and what sabotaged his account with Huf and Lakia.  Joe the owner he had bought a whole line up of Huf/Lakia shoes as Brad Cromer was part of that shop in the beginning.

So when you have a account with those brands mentioned you get all kinds of free shit such as those sweet weed socks and whatever else Crailtap sends along with various sundries and accessories.

So Joe the genius he is tells his Lakai rep via email hey man I don't want these socks! They hit him back like give them away to your customers he's like no I don't represent weed socks nothing in my shop has drug references and I don't want this shit!

So it's 3 to 4 emails going back and forth talking about how he doesn't want these socks, so I guess the rep let slip an email talking trash about Joe and his business like he's a kook yada yada so he contacts Huf and makes a complaint like hey this is bs I got this email I don't need this bullshit with Huf I guess Huf said well I guess you don't need a Lakia account too as they're both distributed with Huf. 

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »

Never knew that I'll avoid it. Anyways the dude from post modern bummed a cigarette off my homie in a parking lot in Orlando one time so that's where I'd go anyway he was super nice

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2020, 01:19:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ohh true.. Still tho what the fuck is wrong with Shredz Shop the videos are super wack.

Delivery isn't great, dude says "actually" in every sentence, but that was overall a pretty organized re-cap of Bakerlandia's existence.

NBD4ABD

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2020, 01:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Delivery isn't great, dude says "actually" in every sentence, but that was overall a pretty organized re-cap of Bakerlandia's existence.
Was it though?

imissThink

• Rep: -2
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2020, 01:27:03 PM »
Yeah, owner, his wife, and kids worked there. They would close early dude to not getting ales and beg you you spend $$$ by offering "5%" discounts" they would smoke in the back and dude seems really drugged up. Just said fuck it and went and got way better product at zumiez actually. The skate shop only had zero boards, chunky shoes, 7.75 boars, roller blades , dirt boards? etc and would blame the city for his business shrinking, i think they stopped selling skate shoes.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »
living in a small country with a developing skate scene is not easy on shops anyway, but for years we had a few great shops (Gilis skate shop was the fucking best thing a skate scene could ever wish for) in a few different big cities and a few small local kooky shops that catered to more remote areas. in the last decade or so a big surfshop that sold skateboards for years pretty much took over the industry and bought all the shops, they have a team and try to have a  "core" image but they suck so bad.
the thing is, importing is really expensive and they have the DLX account for years, ordering huge orders. being a surfshop in a country with a huge surf scene sure helps them with money. alot of skaters want to skate dlx stuff and other shops used to struggle finding other brands and being competitive but its pretty much impossible. they sell price point shit full price, bought all the small shops in the country, killed the scene with zero giving back. fuck them.
FUCK Boarderline. they pretty much dried up the scene leaving scraps for everyone else.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Was it though?

I am no match for your powers of debate.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
no lol the fuck 😂💯

Zumiez And Xanax

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2020, 02:15:52 PM »
no one can replace Rad Rat

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2020, 06:57:46 PM »
I got mixed feelings on the shop I consider to be my local. They used to be closer but moved to the city. I don't go out of my way to buy from them cuz I feel they abandoned my area. They are still the sickest shop in Ontario though.

I feel like one of two things happened here. Either their landlord jacked up rent causing a relocation, or business was good enough they could afford to move further into the city to expand their market. The first one isn't their fault, and the second should stoke you out that the shop you helped support and was rad to you is doing better for themselves, and thus are more likely to be around longer.

The three closest shops to me are 60, 90, and 120 miles away respectively. That's a bummer, but I live I a tiny ass town. They have to be where the people  are. It makes sense. I'm not mad about it.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2020, 08:09:06 PM »
Labor is so overrated. dead vibes there. its aight if you just want to go in and out, but i wouldnt hang out in that shop

How could you hang out in there? It's a broom closet...

CorneliusCardew

• User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
When I had just moved to my area, I went to the local and asked for some info about spots. They were not helpful.

aciddrop420

• Rep: 0
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2020, 08:33:53 PM »
I got mixed feelings on the shop I consider to be my local. They used to be closer but moved to the city. I don't go out of my way to buy from them cuz I feel they abandoned my area. They are still the sickest shop in Ontario though.

which ontario?

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2020, 08:59:21 PM »
san antonio's local is a fast forward...
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

RossDailey

« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2020, 09:51:01 PM »
Long Beach Skate is geographically closest to me & it's top tier.

Furnace Skate Shop is slightly further & it's also top tier.

Both have gone as far as ordering boards for me & generally giving a shit about their regulars.

I have nothing to complain about & just wanted to name drop those shops as being awesome.