Author Topic: New Krux K5 coming out later this year  (Read 14526 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Re: New Krux K5 coming out later this year
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2021, 11:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is the wheelbase the same length as the K4s? I believe those extend the wheelbase by 2.65"?
[close]
i got 3 inches even when i measured with a tape measure. 14.25 wb deck to 17.25 center axle to center axle
[close]

K4's seem to average around 2.875". I do have a set of 8.5 K4's that are basically 3".

Oh sick to hear it's closer to 3". Thanks y'all

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2021, 11:03:35 AM »
Ben weighs in.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2021, 11:19:03 AM »
Yeah. I got 5 brands of trucks already, crazy as it is. nothing drawing me to krux

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2021, 12:52:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is the wheelbase the same length as the K4s? I believe those extend the wheelbase by 2.65"?
[close]
i got 3 inches even when i measured with a tape measure. 14.25 wb deck to 17.25 center axle to center axle
[close]

K4's seem to average around 2.875". I do have a set of 8.5 K4's that are basically 3".
[close]

Oh sick to hear it's closer to 3". Thanks y'all
I got like 2.625 on some Nora K4
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2021, 01:26:19 PM »
Ben weighs in.

He didn't really say all that much in this one.

I'd like to try them but I have everything I need in venture and thunder
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Ben weighs in.

[close]

Do you have a built in bottle-opener? Didn't think so, bucko!!

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2021, 04:40:47 PM »
Ben DeGros has had enough of your soyboi bullshit.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2021, 06:04:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Ben weighs in.

[close]

Tbh he said enough for me. Like the old Krux K4 but slightly lower, turns a little better, and wheelbase closer to Indy. That's all I care to head tbh. Gonna stick with what I have.

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2021, 07:58:04 PM »
They are kinda price point at $20 per truck so that could convince somebody to try.

And I think Ben is tired of trying out trucks. He was much more detailed in his Destructo review but not this one.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2021, 07:58:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tbh he said enough for me. Like the old Krux K4 but slightly lower, turns a little better, and wheelbase closer to Indy. That's all I care to head tbh. Gonna stick with what I have.

I think it said a lot when he mentioned he had been sitting on them since July.  You don't sit six months on a review for a product you actually like/recommend.

I'll pass. 

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2021, 08:07:17 PM »
Expand Quote
The more vertical the kingpin the more lean delay you get.
[close]

I was wondering about that. Does the lower kingpin sheath (or whatever it’s called) on the baseplate have anything to do with the angle of the kingpin?

Yeah it's definitely the baseplate I assume in the k4-5 change

Id bet the hanger has had min or no adjustment besides the axles being a different steel.

I think Ben has a review up.

I noticed ace has a pretty vertical kingpin but is pushed way back so I could be wrong?

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2021, 04:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The more vertical the kingpin the more lean delay you get.
[close]

I was wondering about that. Does the lower kingpin sheath (or whatever it’s called) on the baseplate have anything to do with the angle of the kingpin?
[close]

Yeah it's definitely the baseplate I assume in the k4-5 change

Id bet the hanger has had min or no adjustment besides the axles being a different steel.

I think Ben has a review up.

I noticed ace has a pretty vertical kingpin but is pushed way back so I could be wrong?

I ordered a pair that should arrive Thursday so I’ll take some side by side pics of the K4 and K5 baseplates so we can compare and see what changed. I’m strangely curious about this haha

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2021, 07:47:31 AM »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2021, 05:35:01 PM »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2021, 07:03:01 PM »
I feel like Ben got a free set and was trying not to say anything mean about them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Nicki

« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
I feel like Ben got a free set and was trying not to say anything mean about them.

Pretty much.

I liked the K4 downlows as something different (before everyone jumped back on the inverted bandwagon). 52mm high, all hollow everything, forged baseplate. These new Krux are just kinda boring.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2021, 09:46:19 PM »

Same vibe - they don't suck, but you're better off sticking to other brands.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2021, 08:22:47 PM »
Reposted from the less popular truck brands thread

I got a set of the K5’s and skated them today. I threw some bones soft bushings in and greased the pivot cups because I didn’t want to wait until they break in to get a sense of if the new geometry turns better or not.

First impressions:

They do turn waaaay better than the K4. These still have a slight delay in turn when compared to Ace/Indy/Thunder, but are closer to Ventures turn imo, or maybe like if Thunder had a couple beers and it’s reaction time was slightly impaired, but still much improved from the comatose reaction time of the K4.

I generally prefer super responsive turns, so I would not ride the K5 tightened at all (I tried and hated it), but unexpectedly I found that I love them when they are wobbly loose. For some reason, wobbly loose the K5 turn nice enough to give a surfy feel, but are still stable enough on center to do flip tricks and to trust my ollies in traffic. When I ride Aces or Indy’s wobbly loose I love the feel but cannot trust the stability enough to  do any tricks at speed. So the K5’s are actually a great wobbly loose truck.

The grind feels great. The metal feels like Thunders to me. I can’t tell if it’s because the metal is similar hardness, or because the grinding surface is smaller, but the grind is smooth.

Pop-wise, I set them up on a medium steep Baker (bbs) deck and they match it very well. They are significantly taller than the Thunder 147’s I had on it previously and the wb is similar I think (I measured these at +3.1) so they pop in a way I like but also feel nice for manuals. Actually, in this aspect they kind of remind me of Tensor mag lites (the tall ones).

Weight wise, they feel very light. I haven’t weighed them but they feel much lighter than Indy standards or Aces. Maybe closer to Thunder hollows but I might be full of shit trying to get that precise with it.

Anyway, to sum, they grind nice, turn well enough and when loosened to wobbly level, have all the nice characteristics of wobbly trucks but are still stable enough to do stuff on.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2021, 11:15:27 AM »
I picked up a pair that I have on ice. I also got a pair of Ace bushings in case the Krux ones don’t do it.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2021, 01:05:33 PM »
I skate my Aces wobbly too and have the instability problem. This makes me interested....

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2021, 12:22:42 PM »
I skate my Aces wobbly too and have the instability problem. This makes me interested....

@GumOnMyGrip today is my second day skating them and it looks like I’m still having the same experience of them being more stable on center than Ace/Indy/Thunder on center while wobbly loose. I’m not sure why this is, but it’s great so far. Turn feels really good now too

Diocletian

« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2021, 02:09:42 PM »
What did you do to get em wobbly? Just take out the washers? Different/shorter bushings?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2021, 02:22:16 PM »
What did you do to get em wobbly? Just take out the washers? Different/shorter bushings?

I switched out to bones softs but kept the standard bottom washer and the bones flat top washer. I think the bones bottom without the standard washer would be too short and mess up the geometry so I kept it. Even with both washers, there was plenty of kingpin (standard kingpins, not the inverted kingpins Krux have sometimes) left so I was able to get them wobbly without going past flush with the nut. I didn’t check but the bones top might be smaller than the Krux standard top so that could be where the extra room comes from

Diocletian

« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2021, 02:55:14 PM »
Right on. Winter has my gear madness in full effect since I have nothing to do when I'm not working from home, so I still have some curiosity to try these out. You think the turn isn't as sharp or deep as Indy/Ace though? If that's the case maybe I will cross these off my list.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2021, 07:47:27 PM »
Right on. Winter has my gear madness in full effect since I have nothing to do when I'm not working from home, so I still have some curiosity to try these out. You think the turn isn't as sharp or deep as Indy/Ace though? If that's the case maybe I will cross these off my list.

Haha I hear ya, I’m in madness mode at the moment too.

When they are tightened up a little, they feel like they delay a little bit before they begin to turn and when they turn it’s not as sharp as Indy or Ace. Wobbly it’s closer, to where it feels good to me, but still not the same.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2021, 07:46:41 PM »
I was gifted a set of k5 DLK’s from a friend. I threw them on my filmer/cruiser board setup. They honestly feel like they barely turn. Super sluggish, delayed and unresponsive. I never rode the k4’s so I can’t comment how the turn feels compared to those, seeing as that’s Krux’s marketing behind the K5. Maybe the bushings will break in a bit more and the turn will get a bit better, but I’m not keeping my fingers crossed.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2021, 08:12:26 PM »
I was gifted a set of k5 DLK’s from a friend. I threw them on my filmer/cruiser board setup. They honestly feel like they barely turn. Super sluggish, delayed and unresponsive. I never rode the k4’s so I can’t comment how the turn feels compared to those, seeing as that’s Krux’s marketing behind the K5. Maybe the bushings will break in a bit more and the turn will get a bit better, but I’m not keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah I didn’t even mess with the stock bushings for more than 2 minutes, I just put in bones softs, greased the pivot cups and ride them super loose and mine turn great. It seems like the turn suffers a lot when I tighten them up and when I first tried them with the stock bushings the turn was no good.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2021, 09:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I didn’t even mess with the stock bushings for more than 2 minutes, I just put in bones softs, greased the pivot cups and ride them super loose and mine turn great. It seems like the turn suffers a lot when I tighten them up and when I first tried them with the stock bushings the turn was no good.

I decided to try out the stock bushings because I’ve used them in the past in a set of Indy’s and really like them. I’ll try putting some lube in the pivot and loosen them up a bit more and see if it helps

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2021, 11:19:25 PM »
If Krux were to get Satoshi or whatever the fuck his name was from gring king they could really be pulling in the dough.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2021, 05:33:16 PM »
Reposted from the less popular truck brands thread

I got a set of the K5’s and skated them today. I threw some bones soft bushings in and greased the pivot cups because I didn’t want to wait until they break in to get a sense of if the new geometry turns better or not.

First impressions:

They do turn waaaay better than the K4. These still have a slight delay in turn when compared to Ace/Indy/Thunder, but are closer to Ventures turn imo, or maybe like if Thunder had a couple beers and it’s reaction time was slightly impaired, but still much improved from the comatose reaction time of the K4.

I generally prefer super responsive turns, so I would not ride the K5 tightened at all (I tried and hated it), but unexpectedly I found that I love them when they are wobbly loose. For some reason, wobbly loose the K5 turn nice enough to give a surfy feel, but are still stable enough on center to do flip tricks and to trust my ollies in traffic. When I ride Aces or Indy’s wobbly loose I love the feel but cannot trust the stability enough to  do any tricks at speed. So the K5’s are actually a great wobbly loose truck.

The grind feels great. The metal feels like Thunders to me. I can’t tell if it’s because the metal is similar hardness, or because the grinding surface is smaller, but the grind is smooth.

Pop-wise, I set them up on a medium steep Baker (bbs) deck and they match it very well. They are significantly taller than the Thunder 147’s I had on it previously and the wb is similar I think (I measured these at +3.1) so they pop in a way I like but also feel nice for manuals. Actually, in this aspect they kind of remind me of Tensor mag lites (the tall ones).

Weight wise, they feel very light. I haven’t weighed them but they feel much lighter than Indy standards or Aces. Maybe closer to Thunder hollows but I might be full of shit trying to get that precise with it.

Anyway, to sum, they grind nice, turn well enough and when loosened to wobbly level, have all the nice characteristics of wobbly trucks but are still stable enough to do stuff on.
  Cool this is what I'm hoping.   I don't know how people rep venture right now.  I have a new set of the 8.75s and they do not go straight.   
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"