Author Topic: Too old to skate?  (Read 6166 times)

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
Re: Too old to skate?
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2020, 07:52:04 AM »
Never too old to skate buddy!

This is amazing

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2020, 08:42:24 AM »
I love this thread. Just like a few guys on here I am 43 and stopped for roughly 20 years. I started at about 8 years old and skated almost every day until my early 20's. Then I broke my kneecap shortly after purchasing my first house. Not a good scenario for a construction worker.. I put up my board and carried on with life. Quitting skating was sometimes a struggle but I thought if I couldn't push my limits and progress (which inevitably leads to injuries) than whats the point of skating. I tried everything to fill the void, motorcycles, dirtbikes, alcoholism..ect..ect. But one day I was talking with my wife and she simply asked "if you loved skating shouldn't you still be doing it?" That was all it took, and a few years later I am having so much fun and somehow held on to a handful of flip tricks and curb tricks. Nowadays I try to emphasize to myself how my time away from skating might enable me to continue longer, as opposed to "Imagine how good I could be if I never stopped".
You are never too old to skate.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:45:37 AM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
I love this thread. Just like a few guys on here I am 43 and stopped for roughly 20 years. I started at about 8 years old and skated almost every day until my early 20's. Then I broke my kneecap shortly after purchasing my first house. Not a good scenario for a construction worker.. I put up my board and carried on with life. Quitting skating was sometimes a struggle but I thought if I couldn't push my limits and progress (which inevitably leads to injuries) than whats the point of skating. I tried everything to fill the void, motorcycles, dirtbikes, alcoholism..ect..ect. But one day I was talking with my wife and she simply asked "if you loved skating shouldn't you still be doing it?" That was all it took, and a few years later I am having so much fun and somehow held on to a handful of flip tricks and curb tricks. Nowadays I try to emphasize to myself how my time away from skating might enable me to continue longer, as opposed to "Imagine how good I could be if I never stopped".

Its crazy how hard it seems to kick the bucket. Seen a lot of people come back lately. Im almost 42 but I never once stopped, pushing 28 or 29 years of skating now. Still skate 3-4 days a week  :)

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Its crazy how hard it seems to kick the bucket. Seen a lot of people come back lately. Im almost 42 but I never once stopped, pushing 28 or 29 years of skating now. Still skate 3-4 days a week  :)
Thats incredible man! And your IG posts on here prove what is possible at our age if you don't stop. Every day and everywhere I went I still looked for spots and didn't even own a board. All the guys I grew up skating with never stopped. In fact most of them moved from Boston to warmer climates for skating. Once skateboarding has truly made its mark on you, it never leaves.

dofrenzy

« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2020, 05:12:09 AM »
I’ll celebrate one year of skateboarding in 10 days (on my 51st b-day).  I tweaked my mid-back yesterday practicing my ollie over an axe handle, so will need some time off for recovery.  For my first few months I thought 1-year of skating would be a big deal and I would have a catalog of tricks LOL....

I only have a few tricks but skating for one year doesn’t mean so much to me now.  I just love being on my board.  My ollie is taking a ton of work but definitely improving. 

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
Theres a specific type of satisfaction rolling away from something and landing on bolts is is so fufilling, its something you cant understand unless you been there. Its also a great way to clear your mind if youre stressed. There too much going on when you skate to think about bad stuff. The way it goes these days is skate till I hurt a lil, take 2-3 days off to recover & rinse and repeat. Also, I am enjoiying midnight sessions solo at places that you usually cant access du to corona

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2020, 01:12:45 PM »
didn't skate much 26-31 while focusing on work, been back at it skating 2-3 times a week for a few years now, skating better than I was before

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2020, 08:00:37 PM »
Yo dofrenzy I was just reading this thread it’s sick to see you staying at it. I been skating most of my life I am 35 and the slams hurt more now.
I hope I’m still skating at 50
Learning at 50 is fucking gnarly.
Respect
listen to cosmic psychos

dofrenzy

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2020, 04:55:05 PM »
Yo dofrenzy I was just reading this thread it’s sick to see you staying at it. I been skating most of my life I am 35 and the slams hurt more now.
Respect

Hey thanks matty_c much appreciation!  I just got vibed by some kids at the local....sorta feels like I’m paying my dues. LOL.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Respect
[close]

Hey thanks matty_c much appreciation!  I just got vibed by some kids at the local....sorta feels like I’m paying my dues. LOL.
The only 2 types of skaters at the park that matter are..The ones that are so good that you can watch and be inspired, and the ones that might notice you are fairly new to it, and ask you if you need some pointers on whatever trick you are learning. The type of kids you ran into usually suck at skating and life in general. Unfortunately for them the shitty vibes don't hide the fact that they suck at both, it just makes them easier to decipher from the real ones.

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2020, 01:07:52 AM »
I didn’t read any comments, but lil Wayne just had a two song part and flashed jewelry for a good 1/3 of it, you’re never too old to skate.

Sphere

• Rep: 0
    • Dekker Pepper avatar image
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2020, 06:14:01 AM »
Skating at a later life stage (aka getting old) is more difficult to combine with life but I had a collegae who actually parked this car 10 min from office and then resumed his commute on his board. This could be an idea for others too to get more quality with your board ;D