Author Topic: Worst you ever got hurt on something simple?  (Read 5149 times)

celery man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
  • thanks cinco
Worst you ever got hurt on something simple?
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:13:10 PM »
Hi guys,

I was ollieing up a curb and clipped my back wheels and ate shit. I was going pretty fast and flew higher than usual. I've learned to roll into things skating gaps but this was so unexpected that I took it to the front of my body. I was just getting to the skatepark so it was only my 2nd ollie of the day.

Super pissed now 'cause I can't skate until my knee is healed (ACL/MCL/miniscus problems)

Feeling super dejected. The idea that I could get hurt bad on something small has shook me. I honestly like skating and zoning out while doing it, and I know my mindfulness isn't the greatest. But I also know I can ollie up a damn curb.  :'(

(thanks for the support I feel better now :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:53:00 AM by celery man »

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Worst you ever got hurt on something simple?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:18:52 PM »
Lost a toenail fakie tailsliding a curb

Malflourishment

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 08:57:24 PM »
Well a long time ago I had just learned to back 180 up curbs.  So I was headed to a friends house and cut through a strip mall, back 180’d up the curb, zinged out busting open my chin and shattering the the glass door of a dry cleaners.  5 stitches and I had to spend every penny of the money I had been saving to fix the door.  So I don’t back 180 up curbs anymore. 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:23:01 PM »
Hi guys,

I was ollieing up a curb and clipped my back wheels and ate shit. I was going pretty fast and flew higher than usual. I've learned to roll into things skating gaps but this was so unexpected that I took it to the front of my body. I was just getting to the skatepark so it was only my 2nd ollie of the day.

Super pissed now 'cause I can't skate until my knee is healed (ACL/MCL/miniscus problems)

Feeling super dejected. The idea that I could get hurt bad on something small has shook me. I honestly like skating and zoning out while doing it, and I know my mindfulness isn't the greatest. But I also know I can ollie up a damn curb.  :'(

I wouldn’t get too down on yourself:

-Unless you are naturally gifted, skating is just intrinsically hard.  You ever see anyone that doesn’t skate stand on one?  It’s not pretty.

-People fall doing dumb shit all the time. 

(Pep talk over)

I landed directly down on the tip of my thumb and drove it directly into the asphalt from slipping out on a tailslide on a curb. It took almost a full year for it to get back down to normal size.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:35:15 PM »
Got a few, broke wrist on backside 180 on flat. Just slipped out and put hand down

Arm came out of socket on a front board in the backyard

Drunken front board to broken ribs
On a fucking 6 inch high ledge
listen to cosmic psychos

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 10:23:22 PM »
yeah I've definitely clipped curbs hauling ass down sidewalks and have paid for it.

in the last few months took a really nasty slam landing a basic manual off a curb, skinned my hands, knees and hip, landed wrong when I came off the curb and wobbled out. never happened me before in my 17+ years of skating.

I've also slammed pushing, but that's stage 10 Indys for you, couple times the front truck would buckle somehow and just pitch you into the ground. fuck those trucks for that little "feature".

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 01:22:29 AM »
one time i ate shit sinking my wheels in the trolly track near EMB and smashed my hip, some people skating near there was laughing but i was so fucking pissed they kinda just said "you good?" then sorta dropped it. but aside from that, the times id get murdered the most while skating is trying flatground tricks for sure.

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 07:43:33 AM »
i once landed a varial kickflip on flat in a way that I catapulted my board directly into the eye.
had to get a pretty complicated eye-surgery and wasn't able to skate for a whole summer.

first day back on the board I twisted my ankle super badly while doing a 50 on a small curb ins the same skatepark. turned out to be broken.
wasn't able to skate for the rest of the year.

it was 15 years ago and I am still skating. but I am at the same time still absolutely convinced that it is not worth it at all. quit while you can.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »
a really long time ago I thought I had good bs rock n rolls.
rolled up a spine, locked in, looked to the ledge were I was going to do a trick next and turned my body, but not my board. fell straight on my chin, almost bit off my tongue and my head vibrated for 2 hours. there is still a scar after 12 years. I think I only did 10 bs rocks since then.
IG: @flowterspace

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »
Kickturn in a wooden bowl gave me my first bad MCL injury. I had finished a run and was idly pumping around and was kickturning on a curved wall and I was expecting a little cess slide down but instead my wheels just stayed there and my foot stayed up there too, while the rest of my body went down.

So dumb.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »
Knocked myself out doing a back5050 on a 2ft tall curved ledge. I had just left the bar at around 1 in the afternoon and had had a few shots of whiskey. The park was within eyesight and I wanted to just do a couple simple things. Was hauling ass, undershot the ledge, and fell over the back. Was only out for a minute or so, and I was the only one there.

Also right before quarantine was playing a game of skate and my friend broke his wrist on a kickflip. He slipped out and fell right on his wrist. Wouldn't be funny if he didn't always give me shit about being trash at kickflips.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »
In 2008 I hit a pebble pushing in the flat of a ditch I had just gotten to. I fell and landed weird and ended up rupturing my right tricep tendon, detaching the muscle from my elbow.

I went to the hospital and for whatever reason they didn't see it was detached and told me it was a sprain and I was fine. A few days later I tooI the sling off to shelve DVDs at work and realized I couldn't lift anything or extend my arm. Ended up having surgery to graft it back on but still do not have full range of motion in my right arm.

It bugged me out a bunch and everyone in my life who didn't skate tried to get me to quit. I ended up just skating huge soft wheels for a long time after that and didn't skate "normal" wheels on the regular again until maybe 2015 (shortly after which I broke my leg in a non-skate accident).

Skating rules but like everyone mentions, the worst shit happens when you're just fucking around.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 07:49:16 PM »
I broke my big toe kicking straight into the ground while trying to catch myself from falling forward after sticking on a tailslide. I popped my elbow after slipping out on a different tailslide. I got a concussion after sticking on a flat gap shorter than a boards length, and falling head first into the ledge I was trying to hit as soon as I ollied the gap. It’s always the dumbest/easiest stuff that gets you
fuck you bama

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »
It's been over a week and I'm still waiting for my ankle to heal from landing a flatground half-cab flip partially primo.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »
Ate shit on a nose manual recently. Swollen wrist and shoulder, worred I had broken my collarbone. Not really a hard fall per say, it just sucks getting old, because everything takes longer to heal. I did the famous feat of skating longer then planned. So I was really tired. Mid way I hit with my shoe instead of the nose, and flew to a new galaxy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:24:01 PM by Vintagebody »

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 01:52:47 PM »
i took what must have been a wild push and broke my ankle
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 03:34:59 PM »
All my worst injuries were doing bullshit things I had already done a million times before.

But, the smallest thing that resulted in a injury bad enough to go to the doctor was when I tried to ollie over a sidewalk square and somehow landed primo with one foot on top of the board and my big town under one of the wheels.

The pain was insane. I had to go to the doctor the next day so he could burn a hole in my toenail so the blood had somewhere to go. It was like a little volcano and having a hole in my nail for weeks was super weird. I had to take antibiotics for the first couple weeks to prevent an infection.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »
Broke some ribs slipping at a skatepark while running up a dusty flat bank and doing a rock fakie with my chest. Took me out for a month, and I wasn't even on my board when it happened.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 05:35:43 PM »
I landed primo doing a fakie flip on flat, but after that I tumbled downward onto the side of my board and somehow my finger got under it and I landed all my weight on my back on top of the (still primo'd) board. It was like a triple primo for my feet, my hand and my back. My entire ring finger was purple for a couple weeks, and in middle of a band rehearsal my finger nail sorta just fell off.

UrbanSombrero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 06:42:42 PM »
Last month was doing a heelflip on flat and landed primo and my popping ankle just folded in half. Didn't break anything but definitely tore a bunch of stuff.

Last year was trying to front 5-0 a little ledge without being warmed up and ghost popped. my board landed primo I fell off the ledge on top of my still primo board took a truck axle to the ribs. Broke 2 ribs and partially collapsed one lung. Had a cool bruise that was perfectly shaped like a truck axle and bearing. I give credit to the spitfire tablets for allowing for the perfect primo.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
ive hurt my ankle landing tricks

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 10:49:48 PM »
Concessions are bad.  Simply getting cut off in traffic and eating shit.  I got concussed doing that once.  Kick turn on skatelite with a rain drop on it.  Ko'ed for 15 minutes. Knocked out doing a frontside 50 50 in a bowl.   Lame.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 10:39:30 AM »
I destroyed my ankle doing a kick turn on a 6ft spine about 6 years ago. Foot was stuck to the right. It was a metal spine split in two sheets and at the bottom one side was coming up a little bit and my wheel got caught on the way down. 7 pins and a plate

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
ive hurt my ankle landing tricks

Same. I detatched my peroneus brevis on my back foot landing a 5-0 that dropped off 5-6 feet at the end. That was 12 years ago and it still hurts when it rains.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »
Just remembered I pulled my groin muscle and was unable to walk for a week after doing a bert slide. Back foot came off, front foot stayed on so I did the splits. I was doing doubles with a friend and he went over me but kicked out his board, the board hit me in the forehead as I was in pain from my groin.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »
I sliped out on a no comply and fell with my spine on a ledge iron angle,
Herniated a disc (L5S1) had to get spine surgery and was back on board 12 months later.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:31:16 PM by pica »

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »
Was kickflipping a manhole cover just cruising around two months ago and caught the board halfway and did the slide out thing that BA does in his Yeah Right opener right to my face. Cut open my eye and needed stitches. Super bloody and embarassing.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
Severely rolled my ankle about a year ago trying to focus the nose of a board because it was old and I had a new deck I was about to setup. Took me out for 3 months.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 11:43:01 AM »
Concessions are bad.  Simply getting cut off in traffic and eating shit.  I got concussed doing that once.  Kick turn on skatelite with a rain drop on it.  Ko'ed for 15 minutes. Knocked out doing a frontside 50 50 in a bowl.   Lame.
I got one concussion about 10 years ago fucking around trying to learn wheelies on a bike out of boredom. Went over handle bars. Saw a flash. Walked my bike home not even thinking of concussions just in pain. Got super tired and took a nap which I never ever do. Then at work a day or two later I kept messing up super simple things and realized I was concussed. Would have been freaked out if I knew what I know now about concussions.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got one concussion about 10 years ago fucking around trying to learn wheelies on a bike out of boredom. Went over handle bars. Saw a flash. Walked my bike home not even thinking of concussions just in pain. Got super tired and took a nap which I never ever do. Then at work a day or two later I kept messing up super simple things and realized I was concussed. Would have been freaked out if I knew what I know now about concussions.

I slipped out one night in London by the UN building which must be a bust cause it’s the coolest spot I ever saw that’s never been in a video and knocked my self out. I woke up and a Londoner had his hand in my mouth probably looking for loose gold teeth. I was then on the Underground passing out and 4 rude boys were smoking a spliff laughing at me with my head bleeding. One jumped on my feet on his way off the train. When I got back to where I was staying I blew my nose and my eye completely swelled up. Only time I ever really hit my head and I felt like I could have died pretty easily.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:15:00 PM by GardenSkater77 »