Author Topic: Worst you ever got hurt on something simple?  (Read 5152 times)

blurst_of_times

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
Re: Worst you ever got hurt on something simple?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 06:42:43 PM »
Severely rolled my ankle about a year ago trying to focus the nose of a board because it was old and I had a new deck I was about to setup. Took me out for 3 months.
Just reading that made me feel frustrated for you
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Concessions are bad.  Simply getting cut off in traffic and eating shit.  I got concussed doing that once.  Kick turn on skatelite with a rain drop on it.  Ko'ed for 15 minutes. Knocked out doing a frontside 50 50 in a bowl.   Lame.
[close]
I got one concussion about 10 years ago fucking around trying to learn wheelies on a bike out of boredom. Went over handle bars. Saw a flash. Walked my bike home not even thinking of concussions just in pain. Got super tired and took a nap which I never ever do. Then at work a day or two later I kept messing up super simple things and realized I was concussed. Would have been freaked out if I knew what I know now about concussions.
[close]

I slipped out one night in London by the UN building which must be a bust cause it’s the coolest spot I ever saw that’s never been in a video and knocked my self out. I woke up and a Londoner had his hand in my mouth probably looking for loose gold teeth. I was then on the Underground passing out and 4 rude boys were smoking a spliff laughing at me with my head bleeding. One jumped on my feet on his way off the train. When I got back to where I was staying I blew my nose and my eye completely swelled up. Only time I ever really hit my head and I felt like I could have died pretty easily.
   The 50 50 I got KOed on I had to go out side and lay down on the concrete.  It was a good minus 10 Celsius with flurries and the only way to calm my nausea was to lye out there shirt less for a good hour and a bit. The cold felt good.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 07:40:34 PM »
Toss up between front board to arm dislocation

And front board to broken ribs

Both on shamefully small obstacles I was just too drunk. Front board the go to
listen to cosmic psychos

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 07:54:27 PM »
Broke a toe putting my foot down to brake to prevent a collision with a friend. Hurt like hell and went on a hiking trip the following week. 12 mile days in the mountains did not help healing...

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 10:54:13 PM »
Was riding with my crew from back in high school. These dudes always hauled ass and I always had the worst gear so usually fell behind. Anyway, was trying to catch up when I hit a pebble, I easily flew like 10-12 feet, then slid at least like 4 feet on my knee and stomach. Got my wind knocked out and scraped my knee pretty bad. Knee was whatever but those 30 seconds of not being able to breathe felt like an eternity. My friends were way far by the time they realized what happened. When they reached me, they thought I had been hit by a car or something. I composed myself after a while but never felt anything like that before. Can't compare to other injuries here but that's the best I could come up with.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 11:21:00 PM »
dropping in on a slippery wet halfpipe falling to my face, got a llittle concussed and busted my cheek bone open

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 11:34:08 PM »
Was riding with my crew from back in high school. These dudes always hauled ass and I always had the worst gear so usually fell behind. Anyway, was trying to catch up when I hit a pebble, I easily flew like 10-12 feet, then slid at least like 4 feet on my knee and stomach. Got my wind knocked out and scraped my knee pretty bad. Knee was whatever but those 30 seconds of not being able to breathe felt like an eternity. My friends were way far by the time they realized what happened. When they reached me, they thought I had been hit by a car or something. I composed myself after a while but never felt anything like that before. Can't compare to other injuries here but that's the best I could come up with.
I took my worst slam ever last year going down a hill on some tiny ass wheels and some new thunders which I had only skated for like 10 minutes prior, and also never rode thunders before. I fell so fast that I just spun around and was in a daze. Usually I can get up for a minute until the pain sets in but I could barely make it to the sidewalk before I had to sit there. Broke a bone in my hand and could have easily smacked my head and been really fucked. It fits for this thread too because it wouldn't have happened if I had actually got everything adjusted to what I am comfortable with.

Old_Dawg

• Rep: -24
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2020, 03:12:12 AM »
Broken kneecap front boarding a shin-high flat bar. Zoomed near the end of the bar and fell knee first into the concrete. A world of pain. Also dislocated my shoulder 50-50ing a small ledge. Was on my way back to the car, very tired, and sort of just threw it up there half heartedly. Didn't quite get on there and flipped forwards. Was going super slow too... silly stuff really.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2020, 07:14:48 AM »
Was kickflipping a manhole cover just cruising around two months ago and caught the board halfway and did the slide out thing that BA does in his Yeah Right opener right to my face. Cut open my eye and needed stitches. Super bloody and embarassing.

*Personhole

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2020, 09:18:36 AM »
I rolled my ankle really bad trying to learn how to tre flip three summers ago. It was so bad that I had to be on crutches for a week or two.

That was the closest I ever got to actually landing a tre.

RedCanni

• Rep: 0
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2020, 01:45:48 PM »
Dropping in on a vert ramp, was about to drop in when someone called out my name , looked over as I was dropping in, ended up face first down the transition with masonite burns on my nose, cheek and chin

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2020, 02:52:46 AM »
broke my arm trying to frsontside boardslide a little curb

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2020, 03:18:17 AM »
Fractured a bone behind the knee on a throwdown. Threw my board down and instantly hit a few pebbles large enough to stop me instantly. I flailed forward and my right leg stuck and  twisted a bit. I still don't fully understand what happened. It's the worst injury i've ever had from skating, all because of a botched throw down. :( :(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 06:21:52 AM by Sila »

hereticx

• pro filmer
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2020, 01:46:52 AM »
dumbest shit that happened to me was slipping back after ollieing up a curb and getting a concussion

also busted my index finger for a month when i was starting out trying to nose manny
Panasonic HC-X1500
62mm Opteka Fisheye

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2020, 03:37:43 AM »
This thread sounds painful and I regret opening it. Here are my more recent injuries.

1) Was skating a curb a few weeks back and was practicing stall on it. I ended up sticking hard on a BS Lipslide and bumped the back of my head on the pavement. This was my first skate related concussion, after sustaining 1 from a motorcycle accident and another from kickboxing

2) Wheel got stuck in a crack while cruising and threw me forward and I landed hard on my knee, couldn't bend it for a week.

3)Got my first ACL injury earlier this year when I was doing BS 50-50s on a ledge. My front foot stuck on the board on the ledge while my front foot came off. The forward momentum of the board pulled 1/2 my body forward which caused my right foot and knee to land at an awkward angle. I was freaking out because I felt a distinct pop but after groaning in pain for a few minutes I could move about. It's one of those sensations you know is bad even though you've never experienced it before.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2020, 07:15:26 AM »
I had my worst knee injury on a fucking boardslide.

My local has two boxes with a long ledge on top that spans the whole distance. Came off short and couldn’t skate for over a month.

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2020, 07:28:37 AM »
Just a couple days ago I rolled my ankle doing a shuv on flat ground. It was so insulting and infuriating, I was in disbelief lol.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2020, 09:36:22 AM »
Just a couple days ago I rolled my ankle doing a shuv on flat ground. It was so insulting and infuriating, I was in disbelief lol.
Too bad your doctorate was in kickflipping. Sorry about your ankle. I've rolled mine way too many times over the years.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »
Rolled my ankle as a teenager stepping of the bus, tore my peroneal tendon and didn‘t get proper treatment or therapy for years. Limping fucked up my knee and hip and 15+ years, surgery and a million rolled ankles later I still have limited range of motion, stability and numb toes.

PMA

Boyd

• Rep: -2
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2020, 10:38:20 PM »
I was going real fast into a parking lot with my friends on my way to get pizza. I underestimated this curb crack and thought I could do a quick manny over it and completely stuck. I slid like 5 feet on my shoulder and completely fractured my collar bone. Friend drove me to the ER and had to get surgery like a week later. Fucking SUCKED.

p_higgles

• Rep: 3
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2020, 01:48:32 AM »
On my way to work today I ollied up a curb to get to the bus stop and fucked my shit up so bad... I had 4 litres of water in my backpack since the hospital I work at shut off all their public water fountains (and never replaced our water supply with anything, so I have to buy bottles or bring my own) that exasperated a sever ankle roll sustained when I stepped off my cruiser in a dumb and weird way. Why I didnt just stop with my tail/heel of shoe I don't know but I fear I might've just lost a couple of months of skating in a city where we only get about 4 or 5 good months to skate. FML. :(

Garnet

• Rep: -87
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2020, 05:05:27 AM »
Twisted my damn ankle real bad back 5-0ing a 1 foot box. thing went all purple and blue it was really gross.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2020, 11:53:27 PM »
About ten years ago, I fractured an obscure bone in my ankle doing a kickflip bs 50-50 on a slanted ledge.

Imagine this: You slip out as soon as you land on the ledge, then somehow manage to sit down on the ledge on top of your back foot, twisting it outwards. It's such an unnatural position, my whole leg functioned as a spring, bouncing me up as something cracked deep inside my ankle.

I then drove myself to the ER, having to gas and clutch with the same foot. Once there, Dr. Moron told me it's not broken. I told him that it most certainly is. he told me to go to the hospital if I was so certain. I asked them how to get there. He asked me how I got to the ER. I told him that I drove myself. He told me to drive to the hospital. Thanks Dr. Moron. However, by that time I was in a mild state of shock, so I blasted some Bowie and sang my ass off the entire 40 minute drive to the hospital, feeling no pain.

Once x-rays confirmed that there was indeed a fracture, I was admitted because they had higher priority patients to take care of. I was left in a hospital bed and told that once the evening shift started, a different doctor would come up and decide whether I needed surgery, etc. A few hours later, who shows up to tell me that I indeed need surgery? Apparently Dr. Moron has a second gig. It was pretty glorious.

And it doesn't end there. At this point, surgery was impossible until the swelling would go down, so I had to spend five days not being able to get out of bed, next to a WW2 vet who had forgotten anything about his life except the war, and an obese biker dude who ripped his leg off in an accident and wouldn't stop audibly chewing nicotine gum.

On the fifth day, a new doctor enters my room. Let's call him Dr. Genius. He inspects my foot for 15 seconds before asking a nurse why the hell I was set to have surgery. He had me on my way home within hours. Thanks again, Dr. Moron.

I still do kickflip bs 50-50s all the fucking time.

Glurmpz

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2020, 01:29:26 AM »
I was running to jump on my board, which was standing vertically on the end of a curb (you know, run at it and kick it down as you jump on it), and it got stuck in place in a crack, so I went head over heels and dislocated my left elbow and smoked my head. Nerve damage. can;t play guitar anymore. All from dorking around.

Worst part is it was only the second of 3 separate elbow dislocations in the past year.

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
I cracked a few ribs popping up a curb. My ollie was too lazy, wasn't expecting to fall, got smacked. Bruised my tailbone by slipping out while cruising with my hands in my pockets. I couldn't sit comfortably for a while. I definitely don't do that anymore lol.

cargoshortsandsandals

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »
Me and some of my mates have had a number of bullshit skate injuries, I’m recovering from one now actually.

First one was a few years ago a week before Christmas. Was warming up at my local park and went to ollie up a ledge but clipped it and came off. When I got up I saw my left thumb was all twisted and bent. As it had gone numb I just straightened it out thinking I’d only dislocated it and carried on skating. After awhile the numbness faded and it hurt like shit so went to hospital to get it checked out, turns out I’d broken it.

The next one was at the start of this month. Was getting back into skating after not being able to for eight weeks due to lockdown. Was cruising around and popped a tre, landed it, slipped out and bent my fingers back. Next day I went for an x ray and found out I’d broken my hand. No skating for another eight weeks.

As for my mates I saw one break his ankle from slipping out of a manual on a curb. Thought he was screaming out of frustration until I saw his ankle. Another friend has broken his wrist on a switch ollie, his ribs on a 5050 and his leg on a no comply down a tiny three stair.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2020, 04:24:02 PM »
Here, hold my drink: Pushing switch at the local indoor HQ just to get in line for a run.  Hit a pebble/ply shard/dust bunny what have you. Hardly ever fall going fakie/switch, so I couldn't conceptualize how to fall in that split nanoscecond.  Tore MCL's in both knees.

Zephyr-Cum

• Rep: -103
  • DIE
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »
Fun times.

Tried to crop dust a storm drain - whatever that means - and ended up doing a superman to gutter with every part of my body. I felt so cool for a few minutes there. I had to go and ruin it. I mean I was hauling ass and everything.
I AM A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION.

"Shalom".

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2020, 12:30:01 AM »
I've fractured both ankles, once I twisted my right one so bad it made this weird popping sound for years when I would walk and it was embarassing to walk in quiet stores because you would here these loud ass pops with every step I took. Just recently I had these tiny ass 40 or so mm wheels and I jammed up on a twig trying to push switch and twisted it and I twisted it again after doing a front 180 on to a curb. Seems like its always my ankles when I hurt myself

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
slammed hard on my ass trying back threes....
Was working on my scoop, so was practicing little b/s 180 scoops to build up to the three, and whipped out. 6'2" 220;bs straight down on to my ass. Ground shook. Bone still feels a little tender a week later. Might try a skate tongiht, dunno yet.

Most important thing is to get back up and back on the board. Well survive.