Author Topic: Century Optics of Xtreme  (Read 7159 times)

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
Century Optics of Xtreme
« on: May 28, 2020, 12:39:27 PM »

This guy's been in contact with Century and B&H for a while now trying to stock up on the industry-standard fisheyes so he's clearly tapped in.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
Re: Century Optics of Xtreme
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »

This guy's been in contact with Century and B&H for a while now trying to stock up on the industry-standard fisheyes so he's clearly tapped in.

A friend just sent that post and it made me want to puke, I was just trying to save up some money for one.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 02:37:32 PM »
I'm going to assume the same fate for the Mk1, consider that's getting on a bit.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 10:06:16 PM »
The link is broken. Can someone explain what’s happening?

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 05:36:12 AM »
The link is broken. Can someone explain what’s happening?

Dunno If maybe they decided it was a really dumb idea to say they werent making any more since the post was removed

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:24:14 AM »
Makes sense though. How many $3,000 lenses were they actually selling? Most people I see, buy these used anyway. Just getting a front element replacement is going to suck for those who will need in the future

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 07:28:42 AM »
Makes sense though. How many $3,000 lenses were they actually selling? Most people I see, buy these used anyway. Just getting a front element replacement is going to suck for those who will need in the future

A lot of centurys lenses are made to order, So i cant imagine theyre putting much up front on them. They definitely dont sell a lot but i cant imagine theyre going to price them so theyre losing money. Word on the street the cause for discontinuing the lens is because the factory the produces them hasnt been operating because of the pandemic. Seems to me like its more of a "until further notice" type thing

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 826
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 07:58:23 AM »
I’ve also read this vx1000 market guy is full of shit. Someone posted that he hoards every vx1000 and marks them up really high. He could just be trying to create a demand for what he is sitting on.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 08:55:25 AM »
I’ve also read this vx1000 market guy is full of shit. Someone posted that he hoards every vx1000 and marks them up really high. He could just be trying to create a demand for what he is sitting on.

dang, I just bought this lens from them for my HMC150, It's a nice lens but hoping I didn't get ripped off by them now:

http://www.vx1000market.com/cameras/fisheyes/accesories/3x-3ccd-fisheye-lens-72mm-thread-mount-hpx170hmc150hvx200

bighead

• Rep: 4
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 10:16:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dang, I just bought this lens from them for my HMC150, It's a nice lens but hoping I didn't get ripped off by them now:

http://www.vx1000market.com/cameras/fisheyes/accesories/3x-3ccd-fisheye-lens-72mm-thread-mount-hpx170hmc150hvx200

I'm curious about that lens, let us know how you feel about it after taking it out.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You got ripped off. I made a whole video talking about how he marks up the price quite a bit from original manufacturer.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_fU9rNFS4x/?igshid=1ofd4w0ez06u3

I just bought a 52mm for my VX1000 and saved around £200/£300.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:45:30 PM by suckmadeck »

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 12:09:17 AM »
vx1000market sells used MK1 for like 900$ on his insta.
I bought a brand new one from B&H for 700$.

I'm not saying this is a good price, I'm just saying this guy is stealing everyone.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 04:14:51 AM »
Never bought from vx market but I thought it was standard to lurk eBay and research before buying. I guess I'm just cheap as I would never pay full retail for something that can be destroyed with one lens hit
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:10:26 AM by Chatbot »

shredslap

• Rep: -2
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 11:24:04 AM »
Any news on this? Need one for an upcoming trip...

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 12:12:26 PM »
Century told me directly that they discontinued the xtreme and MK1.
they still repair them if you send your lens to their facilities.

I need one aswell or a front element at least. if someone has one for sale for a fair price.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »
VX1000market is a complete kook

suckmadeck

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »
VX1000market is a complete kook

Apart from like 2 or 3, most insta camera sellers are scum.

ferbmx

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 04:54:37 PM »
Anyone knows what´s the reason of been discountinued?! So crazy when the lens is the standard fisheye used in Skate and Snowboarding industries. Doesnt make too much sense...

suckmadeck

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
Anyone knows what´s the reason of been discountinued?! So crazy when the lens is the standard fisheye used in Skate and Snowboarding industries. Doesnt make too much sense...

Mainly because those lenses are for out of date cameras, and the fact people weren't really buying them new just buying second hand ones online.

ferbmx

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »
Makes totally sense! What a bummer! Im a big fan of the Panasonic/Xtreme look wonder what the future holds for this setup...

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
Makes totally sense! What a bummer! Im a big fan of the Panasonic/Xtreme look wonder what the future holds for this setup...

Was talking to my homie at the shop about this today. Wondering what will be the new "xtreme" I always said I would never buy one. But within the past few years I have really considered it. But now the prices have skyrocketed.. Also good luck even finding one.

suckmadeck

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »
Honestly I think 4:3 HD is gonna be the next thing. The Panasonic cameras actually suck, and using those with the fisheye suck as well. You can get a GH4 or a GH5 and get much better quality. The only thing now is the fucking sound. No one has found a good alternative. The VXMic is hit and miss and everything else just sounds meh.

ferbmx

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 12:43:27 AM »
Panasonic cams are pretty solid by the way, and the microphone in built even if its not the best quality sound, is way better than any DSLRs audio.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2020, 08:55:42 AM »
I bought Mk I 58mm thread-mount directly from Schneider/Century in '14. Front element got scratched, asked Schneider about a repair. In 2017 they quoted me $295 for the front element and $90 for the repair. I didn't do it because the scratch wasn't horrible.

When I heard the lens was being discontinued I hit them up again in 3/20 and front element was $395 + $150/hour for the repair. And they will NOT sell just a front element, they will only repair lenses that you send to them.

I did go through with the repair in September. Shipped to them, they replaced the front element and shipped the lens + the original front element back to me within about a week. Total was close to $600.

The lady I spoke with during the process did say that Schneider was aware of the petition to get the lens manufactured again, and they were considering producing it again, possibly as a limited run. (Not sure if this is both the Mk I and the Extreme, or just the Mk I)

Other than the price it was a good experience, just thought I'd share here to give some transparency on the process with Schneider.

Also, I would avoid doing any business with VX1000market guy, anytime I hit him up he was flaky/unresponsive. That should be enough to tell anyone not to deal with him.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »
from century

I wouldn't deal with vx1000market either.
in europe vx_doc is good.

Panasonic cams are pretty solid by the way, and the microphone in built even if its not the best quality sound, is way better than any DSLRs audio.
i already broke 2 of those panasonic cameras. their lens unit is too fragile. and the cameras are old and clumsy. I like the sound tho.

let's hope the new standard will be tiny, not over sharp like the dslrs, and have a good sound.
we need a tiny xtreme aswell. same form factor and distorsion but approximately the size of a mk1.
That would be the dream

ferbmx

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2020, 03:01:33 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!!

suckmadeck

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 03:47:03 PM »
Blame Ty Evans for introducing the HVX into skating. The EX1/EX3 would have been a far better choice. Actual HD censors and overall a more pleasing image. Anway FUCK VX1000Market. Full on scam artist.

ferbmx

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2020, 11:15:05 PM »
Seems like the dude over @vx1000market got his feelings and bizznizz hurted... his IG is gone!!!

suckmadeck

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2020, 03:47:10 AM »
Seems like the dude over @vx1000market got his feelings and bizznizz hurted... his IG is gone!!!

Sure he didn't just block you? He loves the block button more than scamming filmers.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2020, 07:29:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sure he didn't just block you? He loves the block button more than scamming filmers.

He def blocked ya. I remember a few years ago I mentioned him on here and told my story. Next thing I knew I was blocked! hahaha