Author Topic: Justice for George Floyd  (Read 9002 times)

blurst_of_times

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
Re: Justice for George Floyd
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote
oh great, now trump is pouring gasoline on the fire.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1266231100780744704
[close]

We might be witnessing the beginning of a true revolution or at worst a civil war. Things are progressing so rapidly and under all the circumstances you said earlier, I don't see an end to any of this.
I don't think this rioting and looting will lead to anything systemically positive. At this point, it's become mostly random looting and destruction, and that's all the media is going to (understandably) focus on. Look at how chaotic the LA riots were. Did any long lasting systemic positive change come from that?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2020, 07:08:38 AM »
Well they burned down five precincts so that's a start.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2020, 07:27:34 AM »
I get the protesting, I get the desire to lash out physically  and to bring down the institutions of oppression. I'm not a fan of seeing the places around me being looted and burned to the ground, but if I was a racial minority, I can't say I wouldn't have the same or similar reaction after seeing yet another black man killed by a cop. So many of the looters are not even members of the the community that was hurt, they're just taking advantage of the situation. Everything feels so fucked up in the metro area right now. Driving to work and seeing a plume of black smoke in the sky is really shitty to see.

Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Minnesota will get through this and hopefully become a little bit better. But I get the feeling that it's going to be a long road to recovery. My heart goes out to the Minneapolis community.

RIP George Floyd
RIP Philando Castile
RIP every person who's been a victim of police brutality
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2020, 09:12:30 AM »
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:39:39 AM by Big Skatefase »

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1266432998653800449

Arrested and charged with 3rd degree murder.

Not thrilled with the charge. I personally think it was 2nd degree murder, but I guess it's better than nothing.  :-\

Now time for the other cops to also be charged as accessories.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1266432998653800449

Arrested and charged with 3rd degree murder.

Not thrilled with the charge. I personally think it was 2nd degree murder, but I guess it's better than nothing.  :-\

Now time for the other cops to also be charged as accessories.

That third-degree murder charge is such bullshit. That means that he didn't intend to kill George Floyd. I'd say choking a guy to death in the span of 8 minutes as he pleads for his life shows his intent. Such bullshit.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1227
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2020, 12:45:36 PM »
this shits got me so fucked up

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2020, 12:47:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheKingCenter/status/1266008254984982529

"Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. ... But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again."

MLK, 43 fuckin' years ago.

As of last night, in big block letters, I have "Riot is the language of the unheard" written on my car's rear window

I live in a conservative community so hopefully my fucking windows don't get smashed

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
this shits got me so fucked up
Can’t stop thinking about the recording. Maelstrom of emotions, but I’m not gonna lie, I mostly just feel like crying...

Rest in power, George.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »
Expand Quote
https://twitter.com/TheKingCenter/status/1266008254984982529

"Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. ... But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again."

MLK, 43 fuckin' years ago.
[close]

As of last night, in big block letters, I have "Riot is the language of the unheard" written on my car's rear window

I live in a conservative community so hopefully my fucking windows don't get smashed

If it does, start a go fund me, my liberal lefty ass will shoot you $25 to help get your window fixed !

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1227
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2020, 01:18:57 PM »
theres a ton of awful videos on the internet that ive seen...but that one...im man enough to admit it, i fucking cried watching that video. and i get choked up every time i think about it

been clenching the fuck out of my jaw trying to stay tough at work.

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2020, 01:40:51 PM »
My first job at 16 was as a lifeguard, when we got hired, we had to watch a video where a guard fails to jump in the pool and save a drowning kid right in front of him. The kid is in the pool for like 10 minutes in front of a big group before anyone notices. The whole point of the video is to warn about negligence.

This is fucked. Its the lifeguard equivalent of going up to a kid that is running, dunking their head and holding it underwater until they drown. Far beyond negligence, this was cold blooded murder. Makes me sad and mad. Imagine standing there and watching, I would like to think I would tackle the cop to get him off, but you never know until you are there.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 01:49:11 PM by duster1 »
Skating and Baitin

Escape Hell

• Rep: 26
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »
R.I.P fallen brother. Unbelievable that this type of behavior is still happening in 2020.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:36:10 PM by Big Skatefase »

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81

Dead Baby Lynx

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2020, 08:19:07 PM »
How many police stations will burn down tonight ? They already trying to light two up right now in Brooklyn. Fuck the police.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2020, 09:12:42 PM »
I'm stuck at work all weekend, otherwise I would probably drive up to Minneapolis to watch this unfold.  This whole situation is fucked.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2020, 07:32:00 AM »
I saw a video of a black guy laughing at this Chinese guy because his restaurant got destroyed. Everybody has lost their minds.

from r/PublicFreakout

Mog

• Rep: -166
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2020, 08:52:10 AM »
hatred of the Chinese is the only thing that's going to bind Americans together what

My mental health worker is Chinese and the dude's damn near regular telling me something is a "different whole game ball"

Ordered pre-owned t shirts online that are kinda sick (2 Simpsons tees, Joy Division and Cro-Mags tees, and a shirt with a native american girl staring into flames) . I usually wear flannels so my t-shirt game w

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2020, 09:15:02 AM »
Kayal=flyest azn
mArLeY

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2020, 09:17:14 AM »
I could not bring myself to watch that video. RIP George Floyd.

now as a European guy, 2 things stood out to me when staying in the US for a few months in the 90's:

- American police are scary. I got put into cuffs in San Diego just for skating and I was really surprised.
- race relations in the US are fucked. it was a shock to me to see people grouping by color on campus: black people there, white people there, latinos over here and so on.

the combination of those 2 factors makes the whole situation a very complex mess. Now I'm not saying everything is rosy in Europe, far from it, but it seemed to me the US were on a whole other level of fucked-up. the overabundance of firearms probably is a big factor too.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2020, 09:43:54 AM »
hatred of the Chinese is the only thing that's going to bind Americans together what

My mental health worker is Chinese and the dude's damn near regular telling me something is a "different whole game ball"
bro you’re trash
🤙

Mog

• Rep: -166
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2020, 09:54:00 AM »
nigga fuck you

Ordered pre-owned t shirts online that are kinda sick (2 Simpsons tees, Joy Division and Cro-Mags tees, and a shirt with a native american girl staring into flames) . I usually wear flannels so my t-shirt game w

SAH ALL DAY

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2020, 10:43:51 AM »
smh here they go

https://twitter.com/MatthewACherry/status/1266469379757109248

https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/1266496814837981184

Man, fuck... hopefully just a speed bump. So what's that doctor trying to say, he would have died at that time anyway without someone crushing their neck for 8 minutes? Such bullshit.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:40:03 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »

now as a European guy, 2 things stood out to me when staying in the US for a few months in the 90's:

- American police are scary. I got put into cuffs in San Diego just for skating and I was really surprised.
- race relations in the US are fucked. it was a shock to me to see people grouping by color on campus: black people there, white people there, latinos over here and so on.

the combination of those 2 factors makes the whole situation a very complex mess. Now I'm not saying everything is rosy in Europe, far from it, but it seemed to me the US were on a whole other level of fucked-up. the overabundance of firearms probably is a big factor too.

Yeah, got the same experience from living in Texas for some time too. Although I'd say that where I lived, race relationships didn't seem bad, but just non-existent for the most part. Visiting New York last year I took a cheap hotel in Jamaica, Queens and the three days I spent there I literally saw a total of 4 white people. Two were obvious tourists and the other two were crackheads. Just bizarre considering black people aren't like immigrants or anything, and coming from europe, even though I knew it was like that I couldn't really believe it before actually seeing it.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »

I’ve been harassed by cops and profiled and I can’t watch any of them, just hearing the news brings up a bunch of bs.  It’s weird because police don’t fear the over abundance of guns...it’s more their assertion of power they don’t really have, and they get upset when it’s challenged.

I don’t know if skaters have the same issues with cops and security in EU like we do here

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2020, 02:41:25 PM »

Shock? Its pretty normal, even in many highly "multicultural" EU countries.

Read "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind".

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2020, 01:32:04 AM »
I expected riots at some point during the pandemic but thought it would be related to severe economic conditions.

Be safe if any of you do go out and go with provisions, first aid kit, etc.

This November is going to be a real nightmare.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Joe Pesci

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2020, 01:34:52 AM »
The Point skateshop near downtown Dallas got vandalized and looted, along with a sneaker store nearby... a lot of idiots abusing the protest to carry out their criminal behavior. Hearing about how people are trying to storm the White House and seeing videos of people ganging up on cops is really just making me feel like a lot of people are about to get shot

On a side note in damn near every single clip I've seen of protests there is someone with a skateboard
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:37:22 AM by Joe Pesci »