Author Topic: Justice for George Floyd  (Read 9003 times)

Lenny the Fatface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
Re: Justice for George Floyd
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2020, 01:38:56 AM »
I know this isn’t the best time for jokes, but it would be a little funny if mannequin Dill got looted.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2020, 06:29:50 AM »
Expand Quote
I could not bring myself to watch that video. RIP George Floyd.

now as a European guy, 2 things stood out to me when staying in the US for a few months in the 90's:

- American police are scary. I got put into cuffs in San Diego just for skating and I was really surprised.
- race relations in the US are fucked. it was a shock to me to see people grouping by color on campus: black people there, white people there, latinos over here and so on.

the combination of those 2 factors makes the whole situation a very complex mess. Now I'm not saying everything is rosy in Europe, far from it, but it seemed to me the US were on a whole other level of fucked-up. the overabundance of firearms probably is a big factor too.
[close]

Shock? Its pretty normal, even in many highly "multicultural" EU countries.

Read "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind".

Considering violent protests in French banlieues and the UK, it's hard to deny that you have a point. Yet, I would claim that the situation in the US is more extreme. Segregation in Europe is real, but it's on a different level in the US in my opinion. I'm saying this as a German who used to live in the States.

I'm sorry to hear about George Floyd's death and the situation in the US right now. It's a shame that Trump is trying to benefit from an escalation by adding fuel to the fire.

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2020, 07:24:04 AM »
The Point skateshop near downtown Dallas got vandalized

Is that the one with the wood bowl in the back? Deep Ellum? Bummer. I swing through there when I go to Oni.

I usually skate to work from a parking garage and back. Hope no one tries to run me over tomorrow.

BigPants

• Rep: 2
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2020, 10:20:53 AM »

Dude I'm so sick of seeing people say "it's not a race issue, it happens to white people too, it's a police brutality issue". Racism is alive and well in the United States and it's alive and well within the American police.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2020, 10:22:10 AM »
Did the HUF shop in LA get looted?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
Expand Quote
I could not bring myself to watch that video. RIP George Floyd.

now as a European guy, 2 things stood out to me when staying in the US for a few months in the 90's:

- American police are scary. I got put into cuffs in San Diego just for skating and I was really surprised.
- race relations in the US are fucked. it was a shock to me to see people grouping by color on campus: black people there, white people there, latinos over here and so on.

the combination of those 2 factors makes the whole situation a very complex mess. Now I'm not saying everything is rosy in Europe, far from it, but it seemed to me the US were on a whole other level of fucked-up. the overabundance of firearms probably is a big factor too.
[close]

Shock? Its pretty normal, even in many highly "multicultural" EU countries.

Read "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind".

all I can tell you is I had not seen that before in french schools or universities. and I grew up in the banlieues of Paris, the schools were very mixed : arabs, whites, blacks, asians, etc. What was even more of a shock in the US is seeing that on some official university forms, you had to state your ethnicity (which would actually be illegal in France). and the uni always put blacks kids with other black kids in the dorm rooms, whites with whites and so on. how are people supposed to get to know each other that way?
(btw I did intend to read that Sapiens book! thanks for reminding me)

->Abyss 1 : euro cops usually just kick skaters out, at the worst. I never once had a ticket. American cops seemed so much more intense to me.

and yes, France and Europe also have problems with police violence/racism, and riots/protests, but it does seem a lot more extreme in the US. Trump has to be the worst guy to deal with a situation like this. I hope it does not get too out of control.

anyways I'd love to give a more detailed answer but I'm in a cast right now and typing is a bitch....

Tracerstracer

• Rep: -38
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2020, 12:10:16 PM »
anyone want to explain Black Lives Matter to Jef Hartsel on instagram. maybe Shiloh, Kareem, and Jovontae can help him figure it out

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »
all I can tell you is I had not seen that before in french schools or universities. and I grew up in the banlieues of Paris, the schools were very mixed : arabs, whites, blacks, asians, etc. What was even more of a shock in the US is seeing that on some official university forms, you had to state your ethnicity (which would actually be illegal in France). and the uni always put blacks kids with other black kids in the dorm rooms, whites with whites and so on. how are people supposed to get to know each other that way?
RE:bolded section. waitwut? i have never seen or heard of that. as far as i know college kids only get placed in dorms randomly their first year. from personal experience, one can even request roommates first year if they know someone beforehand. after that they all usually get to choose where and whom to live with, often with some lottery system tho. that being said, without really trying i ended up as part of an 8 person suite with 3 african-americans, another latino, a palestinian-american, my asian-american roommate, and one white local new yorker. First time we realized it we all had a laugh about making the white guy a minority in his own home hahah. I did go to a "small" school though so this all might be skewed.

I think ethnicity on university forms is mostly related to affirmative action and equity in access to education, but still somewhat sus, especially after the whole "curbing of asian admissions scandal" at a bunch of high profile schools. Does France do equitable access/affirmative action?

When I was in college in the US as a "non-resident alien" (still am, except for tax purposes of course... ¬¬) I was more upset how most of the international students would only hang out with each other... so I hung out with americans, which were a diverse bunch as well. There seemed to be more of a wealth divide there though, as plenty within the intl' crew would take almost monthly vacations all over the world...

There's a lot to be said about the concept of a "safe space" as well, not uncommon for minorities to seek peer support in student organizations that make them feel "at home" (e.g. Men of Color Alliance or Student Organization of Latinxs). At the same time there is a lot of diversity within one's own ethnic and cultural diaspora, and college can provide a broader look at that, maybe even a first look for some. I enjoyed being part of the Hispanic Scholarship Fund e-board as most members were US citizens, but from very different cultures from all over latin america. Are "spaces" like that common French universities? As an aside, is it common for kids in France/Europe to leave their hometown for uni?

This (long ass) post isn't to say that segregation in the US doesn't exist anymore, just thought about sharing a little since I enjoyed discussing stuff with you in your Israel thread. The overpolicing of minorities in the US is undeniable, and police brutality is almost a given. ACAB just rings more and more true every day that goes by.

I go back and forth between recommending people to watch or not watch the video. It is haunting, and saying it is a painful video is a massive understatement. Yet I think we should face things like this without burying our head in the sand. We should face the reality George Floyd and so many others have had to live through, and die from... My only hope is we are never desensitized to them.

TL;DR: Mostly talking with Frenchie. I don't think college admins actively segregate dorms, and there are plenty reasons for perceived segregation on US american campuses imo. However, that definitely does not mean segregation doesn't exist anymore.

PS. I have that Sapiens book in my bookshelf... but books can be very much like skate gear, you hoard them and then realize you might never get around to them...
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Mog

• Rep: -166
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
and you think I should be IP banned, lmao

Ordered pre-owned t shirts online that are kinda sick (2 Simpsons tees, Joy Division and Cro-Mags tees, and a shirt with a native american girl staring into flames) . I usually wear flannels so my t-shirt game w

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2020, 02:18:44 AM »

This might not be as brutal as the George Floyd incident, but as a skater, watching this hit pretty close to home.

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2020, 02:28:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
RE:bolded section. waitwut? i have never seen or heard of that. as far as i know college kids only get placed in dorms randomly their first year. from personal experience, one can even request roommates first year if they know someone beforehand. after that they all usually get to choose where and whom to live with, often with some lottery system tho. that being said, without really trying i ended up as part of an 8 person suite with 3 african-americans, another latino, a palestinian-american, my asian-american roommate, and one white local new yorker. First time we realized it we all had a laugh about making the white guy a minority in his own home hahah. I did go to a "small" school though so this all might be skewed.

I think ethnicity on university forms is mostly related to affirmative action and equity in access to education, but still somewhat sus, especially after the whole "curbing of asian admissions scandal" at a bunch of high profile schools. Does France do equitable access/affirmative action?

When I was in college in the US as a "non-resident alien" (still am, except for tax purposes of course... ¬¬) I was more upset how most of the international students would only hang out with each other... so I hung out with americans, which were a diverse bunch as well. There seemed to be more of a wealth divide there though, as plenty within the intl' crew would take almost monthly vacations all over the world...

There's a lot to be said about the concept of a "safe space" as well, not uncommon for minorities to seek peer support in student organizations that make them feel "at home" (e.g. Men of Color Alliance or Student Organization of Latinxs). At the same time there is a lot of diversity within one's own ethnic and cultural diaspora, and college can provide a broader look at that, maybe even a first look for some. I enjoyed being part of the Hispanic Scholarship Fund e-board as most members were US citizens, but from very different cultures from all over latin america. Are "spaces" like that common French universities? As an aside, is it common for kids in France/Europe to leave their hometown for uni?

This (long ass) post isn't to say that segregation in the US doesn't exist anymore, just thought about sharing a little since I enjoyed discussing stuff with you in your Israel thread. The overpolicing of minorities in the US is undeniable, and police brutality is almost a given. ACAB just rings more and more true every day that goes by.

I go back and forth between recommending people to watch or not watch the video. It is haunting, and saying it is a painful video is a massive understatement. Yet I think we should face things like this without burying our head in the sand. We should face the reality George Floyd and so many others have had to live through, and die from... My only hope is we are never desensitized to them.

TL;DR: Mostly talking with Frenchie. I don't think college admins actively segregate dorms, and there are plenty reasons for perceived segregation on US american campuses imo. However, that definitely does not mean segregation doesn't exist anymore.

PS. I have that Sapiens book in my bookshelf... but books can be very much like skate gear, you hoard them and then realize you might never get around to them...

I second all of your observations. Race relations in the US are similar, yet different from race relations in European countries. There's institutionalised racism, there's overpolicing of minorities, there's underrepresentation of these groups in important positions on both sides of the Atlantic, but I feel like underprivileged groups have a stronger, more coherent voice in the US (which can be seen in the current protests). I think many Europeans mistake the "civility" of underprivileged groups in their societies for a sign of equality. However, I think it has a lot to do with a lack of representation. There just hasn't been something comparable to the Civil Rights Movement in France, Britain or Germany.

That being said, as I've claimed earlier, I still feel like race relations are worse in the US than in many European countries (even if I can only speak for Germany). I remember being surprised by that when I moved to California.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 02:33:30 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/NTerryEllis/status/1267530485691035664

" Independent autopsy finds that George Floyd's death "was homicide caused by asphyxia due to neck and back compression that led to a lack of blood flow to the brain.""

Joe Pesci

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2020, 12:35:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/NTerryEllis/status/1267530485691035664

" Independent autopsy finds that George Floyd's death "was homicide caused by asphyxia due to neck and back compression that led to a lack of blood flow to the brain.""
What's fucked is there was a report that came out before saying the opposite, that he had no trauma to the neck or chest, and that he had been suffering from hypertension and had underlying heart problems... which would have been a possible valid excuse if someone was really panicking. Obviously the footage says otherwise.

I also read about how they were saying that 80% of the rioters and looters arrested in Minnesota were from out of state, then another report came out saying that 80% WERE from Minnesota which actually makes a lot more sense.

Like what the fuck are you even supposed to believe other than your common sense, which who knows how often that would be right unless you're there

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2020, 02:18:12 AM »
->weon
honestly I don't know! I was at San Diego State, it was 2 guys to a room and none of the rooms in my dorm were "mixed". It was always 2 black guys or 2 white guys and so on. So I just assumed it was official policy and it was like that everywhere? is it a west coast thing? anyways I only stayed a semester, so I really don't have much experience (college is expensive as fuck in the US! fun fact: If I remember right, one semester at SDSU cost maybe 20 times the tuition for one year of French public university)
also, France does not do affirmative action. Scholarships and things like that are based on your parents'income, where you come from but not your ethnicity. I don't think other European countries do affirmative action either but I might be wrong?
(sorry for the short answer but typing with one hand sucks  :-X  )

to get back to the subject, I came upon this on facebook, it's pretty fucked. some of these cops' actions is just adding oil to the fire.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=601780133757728

also, just unbelievable the cop who killed Floyd had like 18 previous brutality complaints on his record.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:28:30 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2020, 02:51:28 AM »
^
afaik, there's no such thing as affirmative action in germany either.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1268238841749606400

"Attorney General Keith Ellison to elevate charges against former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin to second-degree murder; three other officers to be charged with aiding and abetting murder, sources say."

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2020, 12:18:09 PM »
the other officers apparently facing charges now as well

http://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/george-floyd-officers-charges/index.html

EDIT: whoops beat me to it with the last post
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:20:00 PM by Frank »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2020, 03:30:21 AM »
iron lung records is making a bail out sale tomorrow all money from sales going to blm bail funds.

http://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/community

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »
iron lung records is making a bail out sale tomorrow all money from sales going to blm bail funds.

Did you know Method Man calls himself "The Iron Lung"?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you know Method Man calls himself "The Iron Lung"?

yeah when i was young i wondered if this was actually a thing like can you coat your lungs and then smoke as much as you want. i tried a few things but it just made me cough a lot more.

i was obsessed with this music video when i was a kid:

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2020, 03:46:22 PM »
"T-2000/Keep bouncin'/T-Minus 30 seconds and countin'"

That song goes off (whole album does really). But I know folks who can't stand that song. He bangs it out live too.

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2020, 08:27:09 PM »

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »
https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hennepinus/residents/public-safety/documents/Autopsy_2020-3700_Floyd.pdf

Jesus fucking christ. Fentanyl and meth. This guy knew how to party.
The police murdered him by asphyxiation.

No amount of drug use, sexual deviancy, parking tickets, library fines, etc. justify that murder.

I love the conservatives & liberals alike who will decry the distortions of state sponsored media-the US has no designated state run media because it doesn’t need any; so- called independent journalists fall over each other in the rush to manufacture consent for police/state violence, before and after the fact.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »
Expand Quote
https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hennepinus/residents/public-safety/documents/Autopsy_2020-3700_Floyd.pdf

[close]

No amount of drug use, sexual deviancy, parking tickets, library fines, etc. justify that murder.

Goldeneggs

• Rep: -53
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2020, 11:43:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

He had Corona virus, too.  I hear that makes it hard to breathe. Do you think him and the cop really knew each other? Is there a chance they were both in on a chinese counterfeit money laundering system...??? Nah. Right. That sounds too crazy.