Author Topic: Smaller decks that aren't price point?  (Read 2859 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
Re: Smaller decks that aren't price point?
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2020, 01:55:53 AM »
Darkroom Inc Thief of Ducks

7.75" wide
14" wheelbase
6.45" tail
6.675" nose
31.5" length

Pressed by PS Stix

I need this

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2020, 06:48:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Seeing that. That is disappointing. Mini Logo used to do this size, now all the 7.5's seem to be 28 inches long

Well I looked, seems like the max length is 30.70. That, mentally, would mess with me. 7.5 x 31 or 31.13 or 31.25, is where its at!
[close]

31” is honestly a little short, and I’m short, with shorter legs. I remember a Clyde 23 deck that was 30.5” (I think) and I was at peak muska-flip/‘hardflip’ throwing stage, it was cool for that, but broke after I wilsoned myself many times.
31.25”-31.5” is ideal, but I’d be cool with some narrower, longer boards. In my weekly reviewing of the Keenan switch flip, his board looks decently long, long ish tail/nose, flat, ideal.
I’m gonna wait for some small company (hopefully) to drop a 7.8 ish board. My last few 7.75s/7.8s I used 8” trucks, and I think 5.0 is where it’s at.

To the folks who threw out freestyle decks: no. 7.75 is a really functional size, some of the most ‘iconic’ shit from the 90s is on that size board. I get that current fashion dictates a larger size, all good.

7.25” isn’t a skateboard, for adults. Much like the freestyle deck hate, this probably seems arbitrary, but even at my peak board specificity, sub 7.4 (that one kalis/wenning, and there was maybe a menace ams deck that I didn’t get but wanted) was out. Now 7.5s are fun for a moment, but feel less functional. ‘But Louie rides a 7.37x30”!’ Exactly, dont.

I skated mostly 7.625 (or 7.63) x 31.25 or 31.5 for most of a decade. It actually started by getting a "wrong board" I ordered of the internet. When Habitat was brand new, I ordered a Kerry Getz (believe 7.75) but they sent me a Tim O'Connor that was 7.625. I was pissed for a day but they weren't going to exchange it. So I set up my Venture 5.0 lows on it, and went out. Not sure if it was mental or not, but the drop down to 7.625 from 7.75, I skated so good on that board. Loved it. Minus a few 7.5's, I skated 7.625/7.63 for around 10 years straight. A bunch of Alien boards in that size. I kept one thrashed one, just solely to keep that size/shape in mind always. I moved up to 7.75 in 2011 I think. I've mostly rode those AH green eagle 7.81's since. Dabbled in 8-8.25 just to see what the rage is about but I just started being honest with myself this past year as far as "I just don't like these size boards". I had one of those Kalis 7.4s also, was small and mine chipped big time from the beginning.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2020, 06:46:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Grabbed a creature 7.25 and love it. Hard to find 7.25s that arent kids completes. This I'd the closest thing I can find tons small deck thread
[close]
what do you like about it
[close]

How easy they flip. I could never 360 flip on 7.75 but on the 7.25 I can land a few
[close]

Could you link me to a 7.25. can't find one.

https://feetfirstnj.com/products/creature-vampire-complete-skateboard-7-25-black-grey-green?variant=32276893859919&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

Theres a different ine. I had the one that just said creature on the bottom. Grabbed a ton of blanks before covid too but already been through 3

Junglist

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2020, 11:35:26 PM »
Dwindle just released a reissue of the Eric koston 101 deck with buddha sippin on some slurpee, 7.625 with a 14.125” wheelbase. Love that board

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seeing that. That is disappointing. Mini Logo used to do this size, now all the 7.5's seem to be 28 inches long

Well I looked, seems like the max length is 30.70. That, mentally, would mess with me. 7.5 x 31 or 31.13 or 31.25, is where its at!
[close]

31” is honestly a little short, and I’m short, with shorter legs. I remember a Clyde 23 deck that was 30.5” (I think) and I was at peak muska-flip/‘hardflip’ throwing stage, it was cool for that, but broke after I wilsoned myself many times.
31.25”-31.5” is ideal, but I’d be cool with some narrower, longer boards. In my weekly reviewing of the Keenan switch flip, his board looks decently long, long ish tail/nose, flat, ideal.
I’m gonna wait for some small company (hopefully) to drop a 7.8 ish board. My last few 7.75s/7.8s I used 8” trucks, and I think 5.0 is where it’s at.

To the folks who threw out freestyle decks: no. 7.75 is a really functional size, some of the most ‘iconic’ shit from the 90s is on that size board. I get that current fashion dictates a larger size, all good.

7.25” isn’t a skateboard, for adults. Much like the freestyle deck hate, this probably seems arbitrary, but even at my peak board specificity, sub 7.4 (that one kalis/wenning, and there was maybe a menace ams deck that I didn’t get but wanted) was out. Now 7.5s are fun for a moment, but feel less functional. ‘But Louie rides a 7.37x30”!’ Exactly, dont.
[close]

I skated mostly 7.625 (or 7.63) x 31.25 or 31.5 for most of a decade. It actually started by getting a "wrong board" I ordered of the internet. When Habitat was brand new, I ordered a Kerry Getz (believe 7.75) but they sent me a Tim O'Connor that was 7.625. I was pissed for a day but they weren't going to exchange it. So I set up my Venture 5.0 lows on it, and went out. Not sure if it was mental or not, but the drop down to 7.625 from 7.75, I skated so good on that board. Loved it. Minus a few 7.5's, I skated 7.625/7.63 for around 10 years straight. A bunch of Alien boards in that size. I kept one thrashed one, just solely to keep that size/shape in mind always. I moved up to 7.75 in 2011 I think. I've mostly rode those AH green eagle 7.81's since. Dabbled in 8-8.25 just to see what the rage is about but I just started being honest with myself this past year as far as "I just don't like these size boards". I had one of those Kalis 7.4s also, was small and mine chipped big time from the beginning.

I wish I had been honest with myself, much sooner, about board sizes and trying to keep up with the times. I got back into skating after some time off with the cliche substance abuse, and was skating pretty well (for me), on mostly sub 8” boards. I’ve always tried different stuff so I had a few setups going, but nothing wild: something 7.75 ish with 5.0s
and a setup with 139s (or equivalent). Anyways, was skating decent, went out with some of the young dudes that were killing it, and .....yeah, had one of those days where I was like what am I even doing. My 7.6, lo’s, and maybe 50s, was not really hitting outside of the skatepark, in the actual shitty streets. Skating all slow in a perfect skatepark landing some flip tricks with the opportunity for endless repetition  vs skitching cars up hills on terrible roads, and one chance at landing a trick before everyone is gone down the hill. Anyways, tried to size up, to be less delicate, didn’t really work. I can land some basics on ridiculous, for street, setups, but it’s thoroughly in spite of the equipment, which is its own thing (like stupidly loose trucks), but kinda not the point of just getting out there imo.
For the last 10 years, as I’ve gotten older, dustier, and skated less and less, I’ve tried to use bigger and bigger setups. Some stuff is easier on bigger boards, but me trying to skate some flat ground, by myself, is way better on a sub 8” board, for me. Maybe because that’s what I learned on. There are some limits tho, even way back in the day, 7.5 was small/felt small. I did it because that’s what was the thing, but would always skate better when I sized up a bit.
Lots of blah blah here.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 09:11:41 AM »
How about  an 8.25 x 30 ? Does anybody know where i can find one?
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I wish I had been honest with myself, much sooner, about board sizes and trying to keep up with the times. I got back into skating after some time off with the cliche substance abuse, and was skating pretty well (for me), on mostly sub 8” boards. I’ve always tried different stuff so I had a few setups going, but nothing wild: something 7.75 ish with 5.0s
and a setup with 139s (or equivalent). Anyways, was skating decent, went out with some of the young dudes that were killing it, and .....yeah, had one of those days where I was like what am I even doing. My 7.6, lo’s, and maybe 50s, was not really hitting outside of the skatepark, in the actual shitty streets. Skating all slow in a perfect skatepark landing some flip tricks with the opportunity for endless repetition  vs skitching cars up hills on terrible roads, and one chance at landing a trick before everyone is gone down the hill. Anyways, tried to size up, to be less delicate, didn’t really work. I can land some basics on ridiculous, for street, setups, but it’s thoroughly in spite of the equipment, which is its own thing (like stupidly loose trucks), but kinda not the point of just getting out there imo.
For the last 10 years, as I’ve gotten older, dustier, and skated less and less, I’ve tried to use bigger and bigger setups. Some stuff is easier on bigger boards, but me trying to skate some flat ground, by myself, is way better on a sub 8” board, for me. Maybe because that’s what I learned on. There are some limits tho, even way back in the day, 7.5 was small/felt small. I did it because that’s what was the thing, but would always skate better when I sized up a bit.
Lots of blah blah here.

I only skated a few 7.5s that felt decent (AWS), otherwise felt too small. It is weird that the SMIDGE of width of a 7.625 felt perfect to me, and 7.75 felt "too big" (for that time period). And really I'm skating the 7.81 Eagle because , generally speaking, it's a brand I at least like that comes in that size. I'd still prefer the 7.625 if I could find them more often. 7.625 x 31.25 is my jam. I will say, that for cruising, 8" feels pretty good to ride. I just don't like doing flip tricks with those. Also, where I am with skating, is mostly flatground, small ledges, small banks and that's about it. And I skate by myself, as all of my friends that skate either quit or moved. (Also, being honest here, I haven't been very good at staying in touch with other skate friends , so this is mostly my fault!). I will cruise through my city, then little spots are my shit now. I may have convinced the wife that I need a mini-ramp in the backyard so that may potentially happen. If it does, I do think the 7.81 will work for me on that. I just wish the "cool" companies offered more of a variety in sizes (and I get it... make what sells).

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
DOA had some 7.5" and 7.75"s their last drop, seen a few of them in shops. South Central wood. They had some of the 7.5" in their flat concave as well.