Author Topic: Any advice for Wallies onto an object  (Read 570 times)

Nap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Any advice for Wallies onto an object
« on: June 05, 2020, 08:45:01 AM »
Does anyone have any tips on how to learn wallies properly (onto an object).
 I am currently having the problem that I get stuck or stop completely vertical and parallel to the wall, but the front truck hangs over the edge of the object.
The object itself is slightly lower than my hip height, which is about the same as my board (around 32").
I was given the tip (for this instance), that I should only lean forward. But then it throws me over the object.
And if I leaned too far back I noticed that I mostly didn't even get over the edge of the object but ended up standing parallel to the wall.
I have to admit that I only ride at moderate speed and not at full speed, which is maybe the main issue.

--- Before i reach the object, I try to manual to ride it up and I also have most of my weight on my backfoot while i try to lean then into to the (wall of the) object. -most likely light-footed

Or do I have to do it more like an ollie-version instead of manual leaning thingy ?

thanks in advance

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
Re: Any advice for Wallies onto an object
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »
You can do wallies at moderate speed but they definitely work better when you go faster. The key is to suck your knees up and over the object, if you don't your back truck is very likely to catch it or the board will just hit the obstacle and stay behind when you want to jam into the thing and then use the boost to bring it up and over with you.

Comparisons with manuals and ollies are both rather valid, having your weight mostly over the back truck will help you thrust the board forward and up the wall (which is why wallies out of manual feels natural), but your front wheels need to hit it first so in a way it's also really similar to a slappy. I think the timing also plays a major role, personally I wait until my nose is just about to bash into the obstacle to start lifting the wheels up and then I absorb the surface while jumping. Then the motion of riding up and over the object is very similar to ollies (you're trying to bring a skateboard up with you in both cases after all) except you never really hit the tail and let the object do the work (but don't forget to suck your knees up or it will claim your board in return).

Maybe find a block or a ledge where you can learn to just straight wallie up (maybe that's already what you actually mean you're trying when you specify 'wallies onto an object' though), it's a lot easier and safer then learning how to boost it over something at an angle and might help you figure out the timing. Those work exactly like basic ass wallride fakies except you clear the height of the thing and roll away on top. Then you can try tweaking the technique around the spots you'd like to do them at. Another good first step might be learning how to ollie up the thing with a deck check (pop into rock then push down on the nose to get the back truck up too) and then essentially practice the same move but in just one fluid motion - I feel like both maneuvers kind of walk a common line somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:30:50 AM by silhouette »

Nap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
First of all thank you for your detailed explanation.

(...) roll away on top.
I'm sorry, I didn't quite know how to put it, but yes exactly this is my intension.
-To wallie up and rolling away on top of the object.

The key is to suck your knees up and over the object,(...)
Especially this is what i will try tomorrow. I can't say exactly why but something just clicked for me -that i got a good feeling for it.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 11:01:34 AM »
You're welcome and good luck, also since you're trying wallie straight onto the object arriving head-on, if you find yourself still struggling to figure out what you're supposed to do (although the knee tip is probably what you needed to visualize just that), maybe you could try picturing the obstacle as a super steep quarterpipe with vert (and no actual transition at the bottom, but you can imagine one that's not there) that you'd want to boost yourself onto the deck of. It's essentially the same technique, just taken to an extreme but soon enough you'll realize that most of the time, existing transition at the bottom of something vertical barely makes a difference once you've figured out the proper movement and timing. You just have to lean a bit further back because the impact is going to be a bit more brutal, so you need more 'room' to compress and absorb it (by thrusting the board in front of you) all the while riding up and over the thing without breaking momentum.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:04:01 AM by silhouette »

FranklinSt4Ever

• Rep: 4
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
You're welcome and good luck, also since you're trying wallie straight onto the object arriving head-on, if you find yourself still struggling to figure out what you're supposed to do (although the knee tip is probably what you needed to visualize just that), maybe you could try picturing the obstacle as a super steep quarterpipe with vert (and no actual transition at the bottom, but you can imagine one that's not there) that you'd want to boost yourself onto the deck of. It's essentially the same technique, just taken to an extreme but soon enough you'll realize that most of the time, existing transition at the bottom of something vertical barely makes a difference once you've figured out the proper movement and timing. You just have to lean a bit further back because the impact is going to be a bit more brutal, so you need more 'room' to compress and absorb it (by thrusting the board in front of you) all the while riding up and over the thing without breaking momentum.

I agree with everything silhouette said above, and also may want to consider foot placement. I find that if put front foot right over the front truck bolts or a bit before and back foot in the vertical concave I can control the wallie a bit better than if it's on the tail. For me, it helps to get the back wheels on and going up the wall that I'm going up/over. Because I'm better able to control it I can do wallie variations easier (180 / 1-foot / body variel /etc)

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
 You have to smash ur nose.  I do anyway. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 01:41:20 AM »
Damn I didn't read and posted

I have no valid input

Spot sounds dope
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:27:14 AM by Skart »
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

ViewFinder

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 07:21:34 AM »
I've found that you also need to engage your upper body to start the weightless lift upwards with wallies, wallrides and nosejams to get any real height. Imagine an aggressive, kinetic energy being started with your upperbody, moving down through core and hips, but becoming weightless once you get to your calves and feet.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 06:56:59 AM »
Post a picture of said object.

fakie n0llie

• Rep: -80
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »
A whatllie?