Author Topic: Anyone with the same experience with antidepressants?  (Read 2415 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Anyone with the same experience with antidepressants?
« on: June 07, 2020, 12:05:56 PM »
Back in 2018 I've been prescribed with antidepressants. Been on it for about 1 year and a half and decided that I'd go clean and weened it out. I've been off it ever since June of that year and I lost fs tailslides instantly along with losing consistency with certain tricks. I learned fs tails when I was on the pill.

Skated for a few weeks after that and I had to quit skateboarding for 6 months since I was nursing my dying golden retriever.

I can't help but wonder, although antidepressants made my symptoms of depression worse; it made my skating a lot better. I'm tempted to go back on Lexapro even though I don't have symptoms of depression anymore. I want to give it another go so I could skate better. I've skated from November of 2019 to March 2020 everyday but I didn't get better at skating.

Does anybody here have a similar experience? How'd you guys find antidepressants and skating?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 04:19:48 PM by 1121317 »

Garnet

• Rep: -87
Re: Anyone with the same experience with antidepressants?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »
what the fuck

Garnet

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »
I been on some random pills for like 2 months and I think they are reducing my motivation to skate. Been feeling pretty lazy in general but I'm not sure if it's just the lockdown, no sports, shitty news, etc just adding up and wearing on me. I also have bad social anxiety.

What was the question

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »
Before you take anything synthetic, is it possible to try some good old fashioned marijuana to see if it helps? I personally have not taken prescription pills but my story might be helpful. I had to stop smoking for a few years due to my job and my social anxiety and seasonal depression seemed to skyrocket. I started smoking again and my entire mindset is so much better. It was like hitting a reset button in my brain. My anxiety is gone, my motivation is through the roof lately and my girl says I am generally just more fun to be around. All these things have caused a more positive attitude which has helped tremendously even with my skating. I skate more now and although my progression days are kind of behind me, I truly enjoy every moment of every session. I have even relearned some tricks that I thought were lost forever. I know it's not one size fits all, but it made vast improvements in my life. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense..if not I will blame it on the weed.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 05:04:42 PM »
Before you take anything synthetic, is it possible to try some good old fashioned marijuana to see if it helps? I personally have not taken prescription pills but my story might be helpful. I had to stop smoking for a few years due to my job and my social anxiety and seasonal depression seemed to skyrocket. I started smoking again and my entire mindset is so much better. It was like hitting a reset button in my brain. My anxiety is gone, my motivation is through the roof lately and my girl says I am generally just more fun to be around. All these things have caused a more positive attitude which has helped tremendously even with my skating. I skate more now and although my progression days are kind of behind me, I truly enjoy every moment of every session. I have even relearned some tricks that I thought were lost forever. I know it's not one size fits all, but it made vast improvements in my life. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense..if not I will blame it on the weed.
I was smoking heavily through 16-19 and it did not make me skate at all. At first it was alright, then I got cannabis induced psychosis. Weed's not for everyone though. As much as possible I'd stay away from it. 

Garnet

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »
Its possible you were just a dumb teenage who couldnt handle your weed

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I was smoking heavily through 16-19 and it did not make me skate at all. At first it was alright, then I got cannabis induced psychosis. Weed's not for everyone though. As much as possible I'd stay away from it.
Gotcha, take care man!

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
Mushrooms

Hoblernoski

• Rep: -1
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 08:48:12 PM »
Here for ya man, I feel like if I quit drinking I won’t be able to do the same tricks I could when drinking

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 12:03:29 AM »
Are you still skating as much as you were when you were on antidepressants? I mean if you are feeling like shit, low energy you won't be able to skate as much or at a higher level. I would also suggest not smoking weed if you have had psychosis before, you are already at high risk for it if you have experienced it once and weed can trigger it in those who are at risk, so a good idea to stay away. Also you sound like me with weed, I loved that shit, but I can't function when I'm smoking, I just become a typical stoner sitting around all day. If you are honest with yourself and know you don't have any symptoms of depression it should be fine to stay off, though you should talk to a Dr first. Just make sure you are honest with yourself and them, they will help you get off even if they don't think it's a good idea. I wouldn't take it if you don't have to, but if you do have depression escitalopram had pretty much no side effects for me and weaning off was easy. If you don't have serious side effects and have depressive symptoms you should see your dr for sure about if you should get on again. I'm comfortable with mental health and medication though. A few years ago remeron pretty much saved my life, and I eventually got off of it. That is the only antidepressant that I had withdrawals from and it was horrible. But I liked being on it. It was the first time I got good sleep in my life, I gained a lot of weight (was really skinny), no anxiety, outgoing, on top of shit, I also wasn't smoking though.

I've never had psychosis, just depression and anxiety. Comes and goes for me but I haven't been on antidepressants for a few years and I credit that to smoking much less/not at all. It kicked in when I smoked, and goes away when I quit.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:10:35 AM by 50mm »

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
Are you still skating as much as you were when you were on antidepressants? I mean if you are feeling like shit, low energy you won't be able to skate as much or at a higher level. I would also suggest not smoking weed if you have had psychosis before, you are already at high risk for it if you have experienced it once and weed can trigger it in those who are at risk, so a good idea to stay away. Also you sound like me with weed, I loved that shit, but I can't function when I'm smoking, I just become a typical stoner sitting around all day. If you are honest with yourself and know you don't have any symptoms of depression it should be fine to stay off, though you should talk to a Dr first. Just make sure you are honest with yourself and them, they will help you get off even if they don't think it's a good idea. I wouldn't take it if you don't have to, but if you do have depression escitalopram had pretty much no side effects for me and weaning off was easy. If you don't have serious side effects and have depressive symptoms you should see your dr for sure about if you should get on again. I'm comfortable with mental health and medication though. A few years ago remeron pretty much saved my life, and I eventually got off of it. That is the only antidepressant that I had withdrawals from and it was horrible. But I liked being on it. It was the first time I got good sleep in my life, I gained a lot of weight (was really skinny), no anxiety, outgoing, on top of shit, I also wasn't smoking though.

I've never had psychosis, just depression and anxiety. Comes and goes for me but I haven't been on antidepressants for a few years and I credit that to smoking much less/not at all. It kicked in when I smoked, and goes away when I quit.

I’ve been skating more ever since I was off antidepressants and I don’t smoke weed anymore. No symptoms of depression anymore. But I do get sad every now and then especially now with the passing of my dog 2 weeks ago. As much as possible I try to skate everyday.

Hope you feel better

fake nollie.sk8er

• Rep: -37
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 02:29:52 PM »
Anyone know any good, reputable brands?

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve been skating more ever since I was off antidepressants and I don’t smoke weed anymore. No symptoms of depression anymore. But I do get sad every now and then especially now with the passing of my dog 2 weeks ago. As much as possible I try to skate everyday.

Hope you feel better
It comes and goes brother. Lost my fleabag in December. Sucked ass but I was glad to be there with him.

I've recently quit smoking again and I think that's why I'm so down. I'm straight up bored. Combine that with not being able to really go anywhere or do anything. I forgot when all this Covid shit started I was doing pushups and shit so I started them again today. Sometimes that shit is in your head with tricks. Sometimes you got them and sometimes you dont. Thanks for the well wishes same for your brother.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 10:13:15 AM »
I took antidepressants for 8 years since I was 21.
Now I am two months off them and I feel really good. Learned a few new tricks and got a bit more self confidence. How long are you off the pills OP?
Maybe you should give your body a bit more time to recalibrate.
IG: @flowterspace

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »
I took antidepressants for 8 years since I was 21.
Now I am two months off them and I feel really good. Learned a few new tricks and got a bit more self confidence. How long are you off the pills OP?
Maybe you should give your body a bit more time to recalibrate.

Two years now

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 09:43:14 PM »
Have you ever tried spending time in the service of others?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 07:42:25 AM »
Change seems harder then it is when ur young. Adapt to move forward.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

dogstownthunder

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 01:11:54 PM »
Change seems harder then it is when ur young. Adapt to move forward.

when you get old, that is when change is actually really hawrd.

aLEXICONdEVIL

• Rep: 6
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 07:49:21 AM »
This might seem counter-intuitive, but if you are skating a ton and not doing all the stretching and warm up etc, your skating might be suffering as a result.

I find if I skate hard for a week, some of my tricks feel really bad, but if I take a break for a few days they come back better than before. It could be that the mind is willing but the body is fatigued?

I hope you get it sorted, OP

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 11:05:51 PM »
This might seem counter-intuitive, but if you are skating a ton and not doing all the stretching and warm up etc, your skating might be suffering as a result.

I find if I skate hard for a week, some of my tricks feel really bad, but if I take a break for a few days they come back better than before. It could be that the mind is willing but the body is fatigued?

I hope you get it sorted, OP

That's a common thing - sounds like overtraining in sports: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »
Hey dude. I'm not an expert. These other cats seem like they got you but my 2 cents and who the fuck am I right? We all love skating. Like I mean here we are, but it's not worth taking anything that will make yer depression worse. Itsa terrible thing.
And tbh you've done those tricks befor, and you can do em again.
If you need to talk, well you kno where were at.
Whoa. Danger.

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 12:20:38 AM »
Its possible the ssri rewired your brain architecture and now a part of you is no longer an ocd skater.

Supposedly ssri has significant permanent effects, even just one dose! However I think there are specific ways to undo most of the changes.

A friend of mine lost his job re covid and ended up taking ssri for only a few months till he got serotonin syndrome [too much serotonin] then had to quit, SS is super dangerous and can kill you. 

I ended up being his researcher and figured out a lot of stuff about ssri.

I worked at a homeless shelter for a while too and everyone there is kinda fucked up by their medication. Even ppl new to the program went downhill pretty quickly, got fat, became lazy and unmotivated.

It fucks with balance as well as motivation. SSRI also fucks with the gut biome and liver and that is one area that can be reset to default but it I think it takes a few tricks.

1Sunshine Get at least 20min a day on your chest,lega and arms and face area
2Alcohol  Drugs  Caffeine Gluten Dairy Quit all if you can till normal reset
3NAC take this supplement, and also do liver cleanse with others
4AVOID Fluorescent lights, screens, a/c, new paint, carpet, car fumes etc

SSRI leaves toxic residues in parts of the body that take time and supplements to clear out
Gut biome needs repopulation with good bacteria, avoid gut damaging eating habits

All experiences change us permanently and ssri changes us permanently more than most other experiences.

Mushrooms are a great anti depressant IMO, you only need them once a season at most, and the side effect profile is GOAT especially compared to ssri.

Finally your reduced ability to skate well and learn new tricks may or may not be permanent.

I believe SSRI negative effect on sporting ability is due to the fact that desire to excel at sport is actually a neurosis, and ssri targets neurosis....

Dont you wish they put all that on the label along with the suicidal and homicidal ideation warnings??
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 03:27:49 PM by Wheelbyte »

Wheelbyte

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 05:21:22 AM »
Research on animals has found that antidepressants can shrink the connections between brain cells and that these don't grow back after the drugs are stopped. ... 'I have never seen any convincing evidence showing a psychiatric disease is causing brain damage, but have seen plenty that medication causes brain damage

People suffering from clinical depression have lower than average levels of serotonin in their brains. Prozac gradually restores serotinin to its proper level, then maintains that level. ... In fact, the massive release of serotonin may leave nerve cells depleted and cause irreversible brain damage.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »
Research on animals has found that antidepressants can shrink the connections between brain cells and that these don't grow back after the drugs are stopped. ... 'I have never seen any convincing evidence showing a psychiatric disease is causing brain damage, but have seen plenty that medication causes brain damage

People suffering from clinical depression have lower than average levels of serotonin in their brains. Prozac gradually restores serotinin to its proper level, then maintains that level. ... In fact, the massive release of serotonin may leave nerve cells depleted and cause irreversible brain damage.

Synaptic pruning is not alway harmful. Post some research papers to back these claims.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Wheelbyte

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2020, 03:24:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Synaptic pruning is not alway harmful. Post some research papers to back these claims.

you first since you brought it up

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Wheelbyte

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
thanks for the good article

abstract here

Antidepressant treatments enhance plasticity and increase neurogenesis in the adult brain, but it has been unclear how these effects influence mood. We propose that like environmental enrichment and exercise, antidepressant treatments enhance adaptability by increasing structural variability within the nervous system at many levels, from proliferating precursors to immature synaptic contacts. Conversely, sensory deprivation and chronic stress reduce this structural variability. Activity-dependent competition within the mood-related circuits, guided by rehabilitation, then selects for the survival and stabilization of those structures that best represent the internal or external milieu. Increased variability together with competition-mediated selection facilitates normal function, such as pattern separation within the dentate gyrus and other mood-related circuits, thereby enhancing adaptability towards novel experiences.

I agree that ssri being top dog in the pharmacy must be popular for good reason.
I have personally seen reduction in unhealthy ocd with ssri use
And so many anecdotal reports with phrases like
'saved my life' are very common

But my point is that unwanted side effects and brain damage/gut damage are part of the parcel.
Some ssri users have compromised gut health and then with ssri that can be worsened.

I could go on about insomnia, inability to come off them etc
but I'll just agree that improvig brain architecture
from years of wrong ideation [thinking] and habits that causing poor architecture is a good thing.

My dyslexia makes posting arduous so I wont go searching for articles about meds and adverse effects
esp when most people already know drugs are bad
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:11:48 PM by Wheelbyte »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2020, 05:50:06 PM »
Fair points.

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2020, 09:27:28 PM »
Can't say I've gone through a similar route when it comes to anti depressants and skating but I feel you when it comes to the struggle of coping with depression in general. One thing that might help is adding lavender scented stuff like an oil, candle and shampoo into your life. The smell of lavender has been shown to have quite a soothing effect when it comes to people with anxiety and depression. Its popular with massage therapists and salons due it's nature of helping to relax clients. Hope this helps

sonti

• Rep: 0
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2020, 11:41:13 PM »
Never experienced this thing myself with skating bro but state dependent memory is definitly a thing :   
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/state-dependent-memory