Author Topic: Why do you still ride indys?  (Read 14133 times)

thelonelynow

Re: Why do you still ride indys?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 03:33:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Now venture is my main truck. I even have a truck issue that I'm just riding out. It's I chose to ride an made in SF truck.

I don't care who rides for them. I love ace too. I ride 44s. I love the truck. I wish it was a US truck but it's not reality.
 I could care less if 1010 gets free trucks.

I had issues with Indys forever. Was always going back to thunders.

The stage 11 139 I got in 2016. That's a nice truck. The cross is gone in one maybe two sessions.

I was always thinking Venture thunder and Indy all came from Fausto and crew. I was just under the impression that Gwynne? Likely spelled that wrong only owns venture today and the rest went outside the country for manufacturing.

Is that wrong. I also doubt any of the ti trucks are fully us manufacturing.
[close]

I mostly skate Indy right now because there is and has been rarely any other trucks in my local shop since last June. DLX rarely supplies many shops in Japan now (and raised prices substantially) when their shortages began happening last year and the pandemic seems to have just made it worse. Spitfires are really rare now and the cost was increased by nearly US $35.00 more than other wheel brands. I pay around US $55.00-60.00 for Sml, Oj or Bones and US $85.00 for Spitfires (when in stock). So I skate mostly Indy and Sml wheels now (which I really like). They have one set of ugly gray 54mm Spitfire Radials in stock I'm considering getting though, if they're not gone already and I can convince myself the price is worth it.

When I was researching to find a truck 100% manufactured and sourced from the US the only one I found was Tracker, which I have no interest in. According to a man named Reed at DLX he stated Ermico imports all forged baseplates and hollow kingpins for Thunders/Ventures pre-manufactured from China and they source their Aluminum, Steel and Titanium alloys for casting and axle manufacturing from China as well. So this doesn't seem like a USA made truck to me either since only the casting and assembly portion is done in the US with Chinese sourced materials. So Indy moving 100% to China doesn't really bother me anymore.

My shop here is mostly Dwindle and NHS products so trying to avoid Chinese materials is futile. I have also observed the casting on Chinese made Indys is cleaner and the axles are centered properly with no aluminum overspill onto the axles like I get on Thunders occasionally. Better stock bushings too, first Indys I didn't have to change bushings on immediately. I would still rather skate Thunders but yeah, I prefer to buy from the shop here and they just rarely have them and when they do get them, the common sizes are gone quickly and the prices now, wow! They have one set of Venture titaniums right now I was considering but they cost ¥135,000.00 (US $135.00) versus the Indy titanium costing ¥90,000.00 (US $90.00).

So to sum up my novel of a response. I mostly skate Indy because they're available, more affordable and while I prefer Thunder, the Indy Titaniums are a pretty good all purpose truck. I never enjoyed their marketing though and fortunately that cross symbol is scraped off within a few weeks (unless it's a cruiser). Oh and I did snag a set of Ace trucks, which are also rare (yet inexpensive) so I thought, why not? I've been cruising around on them trying to get the bushings to break-in but not having much luck. Not sure I'm going to like them but we'll see.

Sorry to go off topic some. I get carried away when it comes to trucks it seems.
[close]

The standard Thunder Trucks are made in the USA, in SF at Ermico still.

I did not say they weren't. I said DLX told me Ermico sources their alloys/metals from China. You know, the raw aluminum and steel which has to be sourced from somewhere? Ermico doesn't produce the metals, they just do the casting from the raw materials which, according to them, they source from China. Sorry if any of my terminology isn't exact and I confused you. So the standard cast versions of the trucks as well as the hangars for the forged baseplate models are cast into the shape of a truck at Ermico but the metals they use to do this are imported from China.

Edit: From what I understand this is why Thunder and Venture removed their Made In The USA statement from the product sticker many years ago and the same reason Indy (when still with Ermico) changed theirs to made from US and Imported parts.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 03:51:54 PM by thelonelynow »

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
Isn’t Fausto Vitello from Argentina? Didn’t learn English til he picked it up watching the giants.

Unless his dad is a Nazi that fled Germany after ww2 he’d be considered a person of color here in America

The iron cross is stolen from Christianity. The Indy cross, Catholicism specifically. In the 20th century the biggest group of people practicing Catholicism is Latin/brown people.

So now back to Fausto...I’m from Argentina I come to America, don’t speak English, don’t know the culture. I hear the giants I fall in love with the team, the city, and everything that comes with it. I meet the homie Eric Swenson whenever. They become business partners/friends. Then outta nowhere that sneaky white fucker Swenson gets these other whites together (a whole CLAN of white people! Think hooper x from chasing amy.) and they get this other white guy to draw them a logo. This white Nazi fucker sees the pope on the cover of time and then is like you know what? Fuck these brown people this is for Germany! That Nazi fucker Phillips makes a rounded iron cross and when someone calls him out he’s  gonna be like nahhhhhhh.....it’s not the same. Fuck Fausto and his brownies.

I’m just not buying it.

Skateboarding was not a business back then. They had a company which is a business I guess but I bet neither one thought they’d end up the way they did in the beginning.

Do you stick with this same Nazi fucker that betrayed you and start however many other companies? Probably not

Seems to me like you’re projecting your white guilt on to a successful brown persons legacy and trying to tear down all that he’s built over your cancel culture bullshit you Nazi cuck

Kidding about that last part but do you get my point?

Indys are the shit that’s why I ride them. Peroid.
Indy’s are a great middle ground with centered hanger low kingpin clearance to wheel & baseplate for sliding/grinding action.

I’ve spoken in depth about the top tiered trucks IMO It goes like this

Ace; carving and just a great feeling loose trucks

Indy’s; weighty solid and reliable

Thunder; great for both tech and gnar street to rails.

I’m not going to listen to cancel culture that shit is for suckers and halfwits.

Like what you like without judgement and fuck you anyways!
Dueces Bitch's

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 06:02:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Now venture is my main truck. I even have a truck issue that I'm just riding out. It's I chose to ride an made in SF truck.

I don't care who rides for them. I love ace too. I ride 44s. I love the truck. I wish it was a US truck but it's not reality.
 I could care less if 1010 gets free trucks.

I had issues with Indys forever. Was always going back to thunders.

The stage 11 139 I got in 2016. That's a nice truck. The cross is gone in one maybe two sessions.

I was always thinking Venture thunder and Indy all came from Fausto and crew. I was just under the impression that Gwynne? Likely spelled that wrong only owns venture today and the rest went outside the country for manufacturing.

Is that wrong. I also doubt any of the ti trucks are fully us manufacturing.
[close]

I mostly skate Indy right now because there is and has been rarely any other trucks in my local shop since last June. DLX rarely supplies many shops in Japan now (and raised prices substantially) when their shortages began happening last year and the pandemic seems to have just made it worse. Spitfires are really rare now and the cost was increased by nearly US $35.00 more than other wheel brands. I pay around US $55.00-60.00 for Sml, Oj or Bones and US $85.00 for Spitfires (when in stock). So I skate mostly Indy and Sml wheels now (which I really like). They have one set of ugly gray 54mm Spitfire Radials in stock I'm considering getting though, if they're not gone already and I can convince myself the price is worth it.

When I was researching to find a truck 100% manufactured and sourced from the US the only one I found was Tracker, which I have no interest in. According to a man named Reed at DLX he stated Ermico imports all forged baseplates and hollow kingpins for Thunders/Ventures pre-manufactured from China and they source their Aluminum, Steel and Titanium alloys for casting and axle manufacturing from China as well. So this doesn't seem like a USA made truck to me either since only the casting and assembly portion is done in the US with Chinese sourced materials. So Indy moving 100% to China doesn't really bother me anymore.

My shop here is mostly Dwindle and NHS products so trying to avoid Chinese materials is futile. I have also observed the casting on Chinese made Indys is cleaner and the axles are centered properly with no aluminum overspill onto the axles like I get on Thunders occasionally. Better stock bushings too, first Indys I didn't have to change bushings on immediately. I would still rather skate Thunders but yeah, I prefer to buy from the shop here and they just rarely have them and when they do get them, the common sizes are gone quickly and the prices now, wow! They have one set of Venture titaniums right now I was considering but they cost ¥135,000.00 (US $135.00) versus the Indy titanium costing ¥90,000.00 (US $90.00).

So to sum up my novel of a response. I mostly skate Indy because they're available, more affordable and while I prefer Thunder, the Indy Titaniums are a pretty good all purpose truck. I never enjoyed their marketing though and fortunately that cross symbol is scraped off within a few weeks (unless it's a cruiser). Oh and I did snag a set of Ace trucks, which are also rare (yet inexpensive) so I thought, why not? I've been cruising around on them trying to get the bushings to break-in but not having much luck. Not sure I'm going to like them but we'll see.

Sorry to go off topic some. I get carried away when it comes to trucks it seems.

Definitely understand. Got to skate what you can get.

Hope you like the Aces. I like them best with bones top bushings.

They get a better crooked grind return pop with the plastic thing I think. And you get more kingpin clearance.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 04:39:53 AM »
Isn’t Fausto Vitello from Argentina? Didn’t learn English til he picked it up watching the giants.

Unless his dad is a Nazi that fled Germany after ww2 he’d be considered a person of color here in America

The iron cross is stolen from Christianity. The Indy cross, Catholicism specifically. In the 20th century the biggest group of people practicing Catholicism is Latin/brown people.

So now back to Fausto...I’m from Argentina I come to America, don’t speak English, don’t know the culture. I hear the giants I fall in love with the team, the city, and everything that comes with it. I meet the homie Eric Swenson whenever. They become business partners/friends. Then outta nowhere that sneaky white fucker Swenson gets these other whites together (a whole CLAN of white people! Think hooper x from chasing amy.) and they get this other white guy to draw them a logo. This white Nazi fucker sees the pope on the cover of time and then is like you know what? Fuck these brown people this is for Germany! That Nazi fucker Phillips makes a rounded iron cross and when someone calls him out he’s  gonna be like nahhhhhhh.....it’s not the same. Fuck Fausto and his brownies.

I’m just not buying it.

Skateboarding was not a business back then. They had a company which is a business I guess but I bet neither one thought they’d end up the way they did in the beginning.

Do you stick with this same Nazi fucker that betrayed you and start however many other companies? Probably not

Seems to me like you’re projecting your white guilt on to a successful brown persons legacy and trying to tear down all that he’s built over your cancel culture bullshit you Nazi cuck

Kidding about that last part but do you get my point?

Indys are the shit that’s why I ride them. Peroid.
and ventures look like tech deck trucks.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 196
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 04:49:31 AM »
Venture for the win. Put some bones bushings in them and they turn and feel perfect. Better pinch and return to center.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2020, 04:55:18 AM »
Expand Quote
A few days ago i had this conversation with a friend, we concluded we still buy indys for reason that are similar to domestic abuse cases where the woman comes back even though she knows the man is bad for her. it used to be good, we have been skating it for years and already got used to all the bullshit and you know that when it works its great and feels so good,even though it usually end shitty every time. im used to the bullshit indys give me and im too afraid to commit to a different truck ever since i tried a set of thunders and hated them.
ever since indy switched to stage 11s each and every truck i had got messed up for different reasons, less axle slips than old indys, but the bushings blow up a 100% of the time, even when you replace them. my current set is about a year old and its on its third set of bushings and second set of pivot cups and im in need of a change again soon. i weigh 60kg and dont skate my trucks too loose, i usually keep the bolt flush with the top of the kingpin. i think something about the stage 11 geometry causes this to happen
one day i will have the courage to try aces or maybe even go back to krux,the last truck i had as a teenager before switching to indy
[close]

Do you loosen the kingpin to break in your bushings?

I toss the stock bushings when I set them up the first time. With the replacement bushings I hand tighten the nut and then skate for an hour with my shit loose as fuck. Carving around and trying to Ollie or Slappy the best I can. Tighten the nut every 15 minutes or so and boom should be good forever. I’ve never had a problem with chipped/blown out bushings since I switched to the Indy bushings and learned about breaking bushings in like that

I weigh 185lbs/83kgs and ride with the nut flush too but people do not like riding my stuff cuz everything is loose as fuck
well, it might help, but i doubt thats the problem. ive been breaking in my bushings the same way i did for the last 18 years and ive never had problems. i dont use the stock bushings unless i have too.
another thing, since the stage 11 switch Bones Bushings blow up instantly. i used to skate them on my stage 10s and they would usually last me more than the truck itself, now they last about 3-4 sessions before they pop out of their sit. and i know its not a Bones problem because the first time i used stage 11s was the first time i blew up a Bones bushing.
 i usually skate flatground, manuals and ledges, the biggest impact i take is landing from a tall ledge. i think the problem is even more significant on 129s because my friends that skate 139s dont run into that problem as often as i do, but it still happens to them alot more then they were used to.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:58:12 AM by eranka »

TokyoBoyzClub

• Rep: -1
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 05:12:17 AM »
The Indy logo isn't the same iron cross symbol that the Nazi's used and if anything, it's more rooted in religion if anything.

But if we are going to start canceling companies and people, let's cancel Tony Hawk, his signature birdman graphic uses an iron cross, flip skateboards must be mega nazi's since they use the iron cross to dot the I's in "Flip".

Come on guys, if you dont' cancel all these things that social media says to cancel, you'll be labeled a racist as well.

Here's what the ADL says about the symbol itself.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/iron-cross
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:17:49 AM by TokyoBoyzClub »

411bandit

• Rep: -42
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 05:21:31 AM »
I switched to Ventures and I'm loving them.

My switch from Indys had nothing to do with them being racist lol.

Obviously if they were a genuinely racist company (if there is such a thing ) then that would be a reason for change

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2020, 05:29:44 AM »
Because Thunders Teams are still 52.3mm in height compared to Indy Standards which is 55m in height. I could go from 56mm wheels to 50mm on indys without it bothering me, while on thunders with 55mm wheels is just wheelbite city and I ride loose. And no i will never use risers, so unless thunders decides to atleast rise the axle height 1mm I'm sticking with indies it's just more flexible setup all around.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2020, 05:42:17 AM »
So I’ve always thought the Iron Cross is dogshit but is that it?  Is there more to it? I’d like to hear the whole story.

Boog

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2020, 05:48:40 AM »

Obviously if they were a genuinely racist company (if there is such a thing ) then that would be a reason for change

Venture are amazing. Crooked grinds are easier with them for me. I put some bones mediums in them and made me like them even more.

411bandit

• Rep: -42
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2020, 06:22:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Venture are amazing. Crooked grinds are easier with them for me. I put some bones mediums in them and made me like them even more.

They are amazing . Perfect height for stability on flip tricks too. Indys are just too high for me

sketchyrider

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2020, 06:58:02 AM »
So I’ve always thought the Iron Cross is dogshit but is that it?  Is there more to it? I’d like to hear the whole story.

i think its an old love letters video or something that covers it, but essentially the guy who designed the logo used the pope's insignia or w/e after the fact to justify the use of the iron cross. its hard to tell if the logo was intended to just look bad ass and punk rock, or if it was supposed to be evocative of some old school imperial german shit and thus derives its bad assery from a dark place.

to answer the OPs question, i gave every truck with short wheelbases a try cause i like steep decks. bought some krux and theeves, and rode around on some peoples aces.

krux are weird as everyone on here knows, but that floppiness/no return to center they have means you dont have to be so precise on bolts when you land, and they wont resist hard when you land on a flatbar or rail. still i couldnt get used to em, and they definitely do not have a smooth roll on rough ground.

theeves are not bad but theres no 8.75 axle, and they basically dont exist here in the states anymore. i liked em but im not paying crazy money to have them shipped here, and i wouldnt be surprised if they go outta business. plus, those bushings are bad.

aces are cool and im glad they exist but man they felt almost too squirrely every time ive been on em, i think id just make skating harder on myself breaking in more new trucks.

destructo and tensor dont really meet my needs, and most other trucks tend to have a wider WB, so indy's it is for me.

Boog

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2020, 07:19:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They are amazing . Perfect height for stability on flip tricks too. Indys are just too high for me
I agree. They aren't too high or too low. And the stability is awesome. Also the kingpin clearance makes certain grinds so much easier.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 07:41:11 AM »
Bring back OG Stage vii and then we’ll talk

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »
The Indy logo isn't the same iron cross symbol that the Nazi's used and if anything, it's more rooted in religion if anything.

But if we are going to start canceling companies and people, let's cancel Tony Hawk, his signature birdman graphic uses an iron cross, flip skateboards must be mega nazi's since they use the iron cross to dot the I's in "Flip".

Come on guys, if you dont' cancel all these things that social media says to cancel, you'll be labeled a racist as well.

Here's what the ADL says about the symbol itself.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/iron-cross

I am interested in switching from Indy because I’d like to buy something made in the Americas if possible.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »
I don't think the indy logo is a white power thing, but it could be changed for being close to it and also for being ugly as fuck. I've had shirts from every brand I've liked but never had an indy shirt that I can remember.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2020, 08:29:30 AM »
Indy's feel good despite the corny image. I like Venture's image but they feel less good. On aces now. Unless there is some disaster quality issues that pop up, I think I'll stick with ace.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »
Just looked into switching to Thuders, can anyone make the sizing easier for me? What size Thunder for 8.06 & 8.25 Decks? Also, what's the best Thunder truck from people who have been skating them or went from Indy to Thunder?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »
because:
RiDe_THe_BeST
FuCK_THe_ReST

also because they are BuiLT_To_GRiND
are your trucks BuiLT_To_GRiND?
nodo they just want to KNoW_CoNTRoL? Are they aLWaYS_oN_THe_GRiND?

I'm like Henry Rollins: "YeaH_i_RiDe_eM"

and because they are #*x/!!! HoT

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2020, 10:09:38 AM »
Just looked into switching to Thuders, can anyone make the sizing easier for me? What size Thunder for 8.06 & 8.25 Decks? Also, what's the best Thunder truck from people who have been skating them or went from Indy to Thunder?

147s are 8” wide, 148s are 8.25” wide. 148s are a little taller (indys are fuckin tall). If you hate riser pads, make sure to get the cast plate (thicker/taller). Thunders are already lighter than Indys, so I would just get cast 148s (solid, cheap, made at ermico).

The 8” vs 8.25” truck thing is difficult for me, but unless you are really committed to 8” trucks, getting 8.25” gives you a little more stability and a lot more options with boards.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
The Indy Hollow has been my truck for years.... not sure I'd get accustomed to anything else before my mid-30's body finally crumbles.

Still, I'm hoping they make some branding modifications

Jewlien Burford

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2020, 06:14:27 PM »
Had a pair on standby during the whole 1010 thing which I'm now riding. Thinking of getting ace's or ventures next however

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2020, 08:13:56 PM »
I ride indys

Not Local

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2020, 09:36:28 PM »
I have some stage 11 159s which are broken into perfection that I will skate down to axle and then retire to a Tom Knox reissue.

Also have some Stage 8 146s that just turn unreal.

Once those are done it will be Ace and Thunder depending on the set up.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2020, 09:51:31 PM »
Ride the best, fuck the rest! lol

But seriously they were the first truck I've ever ridden on my first real skateboard set up. Had 2 pairs of Thunder after and have since gone back to Indys because they just feel right. They can change the logo if they want, it's not racist, but mob rules it seems.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2020, 10:44:26 PM »
I don’t ride Indus but here is a legitimate answer.
“I ride the product that feels good under my feet”

Exactly why I ride thunders and mini logo after trying them all

They just work and feel good, I can Ollie and flip my board with confidence
yes

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2020, 07:29:20 AM »
Can we start a movement to get Indy to ditch the Iron Cross logo? Let's make it happen.

earthling

• Rep: -1
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2020, 07:40:34 AM »
No clue I want to try Ventures or Thunders. They seem to be more responsive where on Indy's I feel like I'm turning when I go to pop every trick. How would you guys compare Thunders to Ventures?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »
Took my indy's off last week. I do hope they change the logo.